Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 26, 2015 15:30

mr_dja
And Koen: regarding blessings, tumbled's definition and examples were pretty spot on. Especially the "etc." Life is good in so many ways when allowed to be viewed as so.

Yeah that makes sense, thanks - somehow I thought it is something that a priest or the pope does.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2015 15:49

Happy holidays to all US IORR viewers. I know it's a big holiday in the states. We have someting overhere, in Sweden, which is called Thanksgiving Day (the second Sunday in October).
It was a harvest fest in the old days but is now only a sacral Sunday for churchgoers. Unknown to the public...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 26, 2015 15:58

mr_dja
At first I was going to reply to gaslightstreet's reply to my post. After reading so many great posts since then, I don't think I'm going to bother more than just a few statements on the supposed facts on the origins of Thanksgiving holidays:

1. See Koen's post: "It's a harvest fest, almost every culture has one" and has had them for thousands of years.

2. Tumbled was right in stating that Jamestown was first as far as European-American celebrations on the North American continent go.

3. The horrific events of 1637 that gsl chooses to focus on, established an almost militaristic day of Thanksgiving (which I would say is more similar to something like our modern "D-Day", "V-E", "V-J" and "Armistice Day" celebrations, for example) were almost a generation AFTER the colonists at Plymouth celebrated a fall festival after their first successful harvest in 1621. In my opinion, it's kind of a shame that the term "Thanksgiving Day" seems to have been first used in 1637 as opposed to 1621 possibly due to the fact that in 1621 it was actually a multiple day festival.

4. Although the name of the U.S. Thanksgiving Day holiday is the same as a non-related Massachusetts Bay Colony holiday, I'm pretty sure that when Abraham Lincoln established the current holiday, he was focusing far more on the intent of the 1621 festival than the 1637 day. Why? Because I read the Proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln, October 3, 1863 and came to that conclusion.

Y'all can choose to focus on whatever you'd like tomorrow. Love/Hate, Dark/Light, Good/Evil, whatever. As I said in my original post, I'm choosing to focus on being thankful for the blessings I've received, the blessings I will receive, and the opportunities that present themselves to me to extend those blessings to others.

And Koen: regarding blessings, tumbled's definition and examples were pretty spot on. Especially the "etc." Life is good in so many ways when allowed to be viewed as so. To you I say tomorrow: "Happy Thursday!" Know that somewhere on my long list of things that I will be giving thanks for, are people like yourself who post here at IORR!

Peace,
Mr. DJA

So well said DJA, I'm thankful for well thought out posts like these. Thanksgiving for me has always been about family gatherings. A day where the world stops for several hours and you get a chance to recharge the batteries of love with those around you.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 26, 2015 16:32

Is this the time and place for offensive stupid posts and comments?

Remember political and religious discussions are NOT welcome here on IORR. Still, harmless posts like Happy Holidays, Happy 4th of July, Happy Thanksgiving and so on should be possible - within limits - without having history lessons about what happened a zillion years ago in America, Europe or the North Pole.

Would it be possible to enjoy the happiness of other people without spreading your own frustrations here? If you don't like Thanksgiving, then please do not post here. This is NOT a discussion on Thanksgiving, it is a fact, it is happening. This is a celebration thread, for those who care.

For those who still do not get it, go hire "Grumpy Old Men", the movie.

Bjornulf

Date: November 26, 2015 17:37

I had the turkey and the stuffing too!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 17:42

BV I loved your post! Thanks!

And yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. It is my favorite holiday to be home with family, hang out, some watch football, some cook, all drink, and dogs laying by the fire. Home is where the heart is. Happy Thanksgiving!

Its all about the baste!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 26, 2015 18:11

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2015 18:28

tumbled
I will not eat any animals for thanksgiving. ...

No worries, I'll more than make up for that.

Posted by: chris girard ()
Date: November 26, 2015 19:40

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, enjoy being with family and friends. Its a day to eat too much and get stupid watching football (American football, not the European version) Have fun everyone

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 20:00

Turkey has just been rubbed with butter, stuffed with dressing and slipped into the oven. Pumpkin pie done, now working on a wild berry pie. Butter softening for the mashed potatoes. Will take four sticks of butter, a container of sour cream and mash those taters! Home made cranberry sauces, with fresh cranberries, and raspberries, sautéed in butter and maple syrup, with some orange zest. Final touch will be roasted veggies (parsnips, onions, and sweet peppers) and a balsamic reduction. Oh, and homemade gravy!

Enjoy your feasts everyone!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 26, 2015 21:00

My wife started preparing the feast three days ago. We'll have a dozen guests. The gluttony will commence in a few hours.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 27, 2015 08:33

nightskyman
2000man
nightskyman
Not sure if Thanksgiving is celebrated anywhere else but America (and I know many IORR members are in places not America)...thus perhaps a little more disclaimer needed in initial thread. Also, since America is a place of many immigrants, cultures, etc...not everyone here in America celebrates the holiday (Jews, for example, do not do so).

All my Jewish friends celebrate Thanksgiving

I stand corrected...see my ignorance on display here.

additionally, you're slip is showing, and you're soaking in it.

oh...and happy T-Day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 08:33 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 27, 2015 09:52

MisterDDDD
Extremely thankful that the band that my brother introduced me to in 1964 (at five!) is still playing and touring and...

How lucky are we to still be enjoying The Greatest Rock n Roll Band of all time?? Extremely.

This was the logo on the venue t shirt from the Denver show at the Pepsi Center which was on Thanksgiving night ten years ago, 2005.

As I recall, Mick said at the show that if the Pilgrims ate cats, that we'd all be eating pussy now!

plexi

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:16

bv
As I am Norwegian, I know nothing about this tradition, but I know it is about a great long meal and family. It was the late fall 2006, and I was on tour with The Rolling Stones as often. Current stop Los Angeles Wed. Nov 22. 2006. I knew it was Thanksgiving Thursday Nov 23, so on my way to the last show in Vancouver I did a stopover in San Francisco. My favorite US city. I took an early flight out of LAX at 7am, arrived into SFO at 8am, and checked into the Palace Hotel SF at 8:30am. If you haven't been at the Palace SF, then go there. It is paradise.

I spent the day in SF, Palace hotel and the city. The Palace hotel had a special Thanksgiving meal. It was sold out long time ago, but as I was a guest of the hotel, I was in. I spent all day planning for, semi-starving, semi-eating, preparing for my meal of the year, if not for ages. Eating slowly. Very slowly. Lots of families around me. I am alone but I feel like a part of the big party. A separate ballroom filled with Thanksgiving food, and one ballroom for us seated. The kids eat fast while the older enjoy the meal for hours. Everybody is dressed up like we dress up for our Christmas Eve meal. My Thanksgiving meal at the SF Palace lasted for more than two hours. It was one of my greatest meals ever. Next morning I flew off to see Keith saying thank you to his "headman", and to see one of my best touring friends getting married. Keith gave me his pick after doing IORR. What more could I expect from that week-end?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Great story BV! And San Francisco is the best city in America. My then-12 year old daughter and I went to that show in Vancouver and we just happened to stay in the same hotel as the band. You might recall that I found you down near the restaurant and you pointed out Charlie to me just a short distance away. I immediately went over to him, but waited until after he had finished talking to one of Mick's handlers, then went up and shook his hand and got his autograph.

At the show, during Keith's unusual three song set, we went down and got right on the rail of the B stage waiting for the band. Meanwhile, Keith's main handler (Tony Russell, I think??) walked up to my daughter and gave her two picks with the tongue on one side and Keith Richards on the other. Not as good as having gotten it from Keith personally, but still cool. I convinced her to give one of them to me as an early Christmas gift.

After the show, there was a band party going on in the hotel to celebrate the end of the North American leg of the ABB tour. We were standing near the room in which the party was going on and as we were leaving to go back to our room, one of the hotel employees rushed up to us and said she had just gotten this from Mick Jagger and handed my daughter a Ronnie Wood pick. At the end of the tour in London, she was given a Mick Jagger pick by Mick's guitar handler as the B stage was moving out to its place in the crowd. Lucky girl.

plexi

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:22

Turkey overload!
Stuffing overload!
Tom Petty overload! (Thanks Palladiagrinning smiley)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:28

whitem8
Turkey has just been rubbed with butter, stuffed with dressing and slipped into the oven. Pumpkin pie done, now working on a wild berry pie. Butter softening for the mashed potatoes. Will take four sticks of butter, a container of sour cream and mash those taters! Home made cranberry sauces, with fresh cranberries, and raspberries, sautéed in butter and maple syrup, with some orange zest. Final touch will be roasted veggies (parsnips, onions, and sweet peppers) and a balsamic reduction. Oh, and homemade gravy!

I didn't bother to eat Thanksgiving dinner, just reading this was enough, and I still feel ecstatically full. smiling smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:46

Canadian Thanksgiving is the same time as Columbus Day in the States. One thing that is getting more popular in Canada this week is to have our own Black Friday sales to try to get shoppers to stay and shop locally instead of going down to the US. This year, with the US Dollar being strong, there probably won't be as many heading south looking for bargains.
In Vancouver, there are several local stores that are advertising down in Washington hoping to draw US shoppers north of the border since a US dollar is now worth about $1.35 Canadian!
Can't believe my Bears beat the Packers today!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home