Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brian Jones question
Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: November 25, 2015 00:17

What kind of music do you think he was
working on post-Stones?
I vaguely remember reading something about him wanting to get a band together on the lines of CCR.

Re: Brian Jones question
Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: November 25, 2015 00:19

Disco. No doubt about it...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 25, 2015 00:19

Correct. CCR in 1969 and disco in 1978.
And Brian Jones had the voice for CCR in the early days. Listen to Walking The Dog.
But not the songs I'm afraid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 00:23 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:05

You get all manner of speculation in the bios, here are some:
-world music...the Moroccan sessions evidence of that
-return to blues music
-CCR influence
-a stab at a Tubular Bells type project
-more film music

And of course you have the rumours re supergroups....and working with singer Cleo Sylvester.

As with all things Brian at that time of his life its mainly speculation, with no hard evidence one way or t'other.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:25

Good speculation jlowe. I agree. Like Jimi Hendrix he is one on the ones I most wish we would have had the opportunity to see and hear the direction he took. His propensity to get bored with things might have really moved him in some cool directions, rock with a blues and world influence, roots music with interesting and unusual instrumentation. Somehow I think he might have avoided jazz and country leanings but who knows.

What effect the Stones were doing is hard to imagine. Either he would have tried to compete with similar better stuff or just tried to take it too a completely different place. I suspect the latter.

Date: November 25, 2015 02:04

Naturalust
Good speculation jlowe. I agree. Like Jimi Hendrix he is one on the ones I most wish we would have had the opportunity to see and hear the direction he took. His propensity to get bored with things might have really moved him in some cool directions, rock with a blues and world influence, roots music with interesting and unusual instrumentation. Somehow I think he might have avoided jazz and country leanings but who knows.

What effect the Stones were doing is hard to imagine. Either he would have tried to compete with similar better stuff or just tried to take it too a completely different place. I suspect the latter.

Agreed.
And given their friendship, those two might have ended up in the studio together.
That would've definitely been interesting!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2015 02:12

I remember listening to parts of that soundtrack for the German movie, "A Degree Of Murder" I think.

Interesting but I'm sure I wouldn't have given it a second look if it weren't for the fact it was Brian.

His presentation of the Pipes of Pan at Jajouka is sublime on the other hand.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 25, 2015 03:09

Date: November 25, 2015 05:20

Nice shot Carnaby! No doubt who the leader of the band is in that picture. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 05:33 by Naturalust.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 25, 2015 13:53

Boy, Jagger must be hating that one. smoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:23

From what I've read he wasn't going to do Moroccan styled ethnic music or A Degree of Murder wig outs but solid r'n'b driving boogie. And yes, most probably inspired by Creedence who were one of the new leading lights at the time and who were peaking in 1969.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:38

For my book about Brian I interviewed one of the builders, Dave, the electrician. Brian had asked him to build an organ. It never materialised.I remember Trevor Hobley retreived a teabox in Sussex with tapes and written on the box: Brian Jones band. at the BBC studio's thanks to his connection at that time with BBC prodecer Scott Jones the tapes were played. they turned out to be crammed with dixieland music. Les Perrin left his wife an acetate from a single with Brian's music, recorded in june 1969.

Date: November 25, 2015 14:39

Fogerty- CCR
Alexis Korner -CCS

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:36

A return to the roots, that is, a blues album to show what he believed the Stones should've been in his view. Then, a world beat type album or two. Later, many moons later, after dabbling in abstract art painting and off beat film scores, teaming up with Robert Plant after Plant loses his affection for Zep and creating world beat alt-country and blues albums, turning the genres of blues, country and world beat inside out. MJ and KR can only look on in envy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 26, 2015 03:43

He would either had to really sharpen his eroded guitar skills, or found his own Mick Taylor in order to be relevant at that time.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2015 04:23

At the rate he was going, he sadly might have ended up like Syd Barrett...some off kilter solo stuff, and then completely lost.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 26, 2015 08:49

Hi Paul

paulspendel
I remember Trevor Hobley retreived a teabox in Sussex with tapes and written on the box: Brian Jones band. at the BBC studio's thanks to his connection at that time with BBC prodecer Scott Jones the tapes were played. they turned out to be crammed with dixieland music.

Do you know what happened to those tapes?

paulspendel
Les Perrin left his wife an acetate from a single with Brian's music, recorded in june 1969.

Is anything more known about this acetate?

- swiss
---------------

Where is His Majesty...?

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 26, 2015 09:05

Date: November 26, 2015 09:27

24FPS
He would either had to really sharpen his eroded guitar skills, or found his own Mick Taylor in order to be relevant at that time.

Not sure his guitar skills would have been that much of an issue, Brian was said to have been able to get proficient quickly on any instrument he picked up...but he might have had to develop some songwriting skills.

Date: November 26, 2015 10:32

Hairball
At the rate he was going, he sadly might have ended up like Syd Barrett...some off kilter solo stuff, and then completely lost.

Or like Peter Green....Danny Kirwan....Brian Wilson.....Sly Stone.

Date: November 26, 2015 16:00

Hi Swiss,

i take it Trevor Hobleu or Scott Jones still have the tapes.
i have no more more information about the acetate. Given the fact Less Perrin teamed up with Tom Keylock in covering up the case, it's very likely the acetate will never come to the surface.

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: November 26, 2015 17:31

VideoJames posted this a few weeks ago:

Re: Brian Jones and songwriting

Posted by: VideoJames ()

Date: October 30, 2015 05:06

Over the years I have spoken with people very close to Brian and he did write a few songs, whether they were fully completed has always been in debate. Many, many years ago I acquired some master tapes of The Rolling Stones from the years 1966 till 1970.
Many were 1/2 inch tape reel to reel tapes that were 4 track recordings at 15 IPS. A few from 1968 were 2 inch tapes that were 8 track recordings also at 15 IPS. But within these were a few 1/4 inch 10 inch reels, one which read B.Jones; on it was recordings Brian made in 1969. One was a slow number called "Anybody Seen My Baby", another was a track titled either "Chow Time" or "Have a cup of Tea" there was also a slow bluesy instrumental track, that had lots of keyboard. Also a tape with the Bombay Sisters that Brian must have been working on or producing, I am not sure what his contribution was for the song. I also have a 10inch reel to Reel that had some of the Pipes of Pan of JouJouka recordings but I do not know if it is outtakes from the L.P. that was released or the L.P. itself..
Some of the people that I spoke to over the years about Brian's songwriting and recordings were Anita Pallenberg, Alexis Korner, Andrew Oldham, George Chkiantz, Gene Pitney, Stash and Ian Stewart to name a few.. Some said they recall hearing basic tracks unfinished (as were the recordings I had of Brian's music) none with titles as far as I recalled. So here are a few more Brian Jones tracks to add to the list.

Date: November 26, 2015 17:55

Anybody seen my baby.
That title sounds familiar for some reason!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 26, 2015 20:19

It's purely speculation, of course, but Brian had been informally jamming with Steve Marriott and, as already noted, was becoming a fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival. We'll never know, but a bluesy rocking-act with a penchant for roots-based sounds' may have been Brian's calling. Fleetwood Mac were huge circa late 1968-69 in the United Kingdom; Brian, with his purist taste, could've easily submersed himself in the second British blues boom: Fleetwood Mac, Free, etc. That's Brian right there, no?

Date: November 27, 2015 00:17

James Karnbach had a reel with all of Brian's 1969 recordings

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: November 29, 2015 12:45

Here are my suggestions: 1969 and onwards were the years of a Blues Rock revival. His interest in CCR seems to be proven. Following were Humble Pie, Free and the like. Maybe he would have joined those sooner or later or with somebody else of the British Invasion.
Jeff Beck? Brian might have done something like Jeff, becoming the name dropping sessioneer here and there but also release stuff of his own.
For Led Zeppelin or Blind Faith it was too late. But what after Blues Rock and 'supergroups'? And furthermore, he was no composer in the Jagger/Richards sense so he agian would be restricted to the sideman role as he was in the Stones.
I don't see Brian plus Jimi Hendrix as I think Jimi would have drifted to heavier jazzier stuff and played with Billy Cobham or - if with another guitarist - then John McLaughlin. And that wouldn't have been Brian's league.
If Brian was no composer, he was a hell of an arranger, proven by his sensational contributions: "Sometimes taking us off the bluesy trail with often amazing results", as Mick Jagger put it being introduced to the RnR Hall of Fame.
So, my guess is that he would have become a producer, extending the "World Music" approach or creating "Ambient Music" - styles emerging throughout the 70s.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 29, 2015 14:59

This is heavy speculation, but somehow I really can't see that the suggested 'blues rock' wave had been Brian's cup of tea. That genre was so much based on loud and heavy guitar solos and things like that, and Brian probably was not so home with that. His approach to guitar playing - and generally towards instruments - was different, and I think he altogether watched the blues thing more the point of view of jazz than that or rock and roll (unlike Mick and Keith). Besides, weren't the Stones actually following that 'blues rock' path, and Brian wasn't too happy with the direction of the band? (Even though the latter has been one of many mysteries of Brian Jones to me - Brian wanted the band to take the band more back into blues, as they actually did with BEGGARS BANQUET, but somehow he lost the the interest. But it could be that his 'disinterest' or non-functionality hadn't anything to do with musical direction, but being more personal due his own problems or not getting along with Mick and Keith dominance any longer). Any case,I really can't see Jones trying to compete with the Stones in that 'blues rock' game - he would have needed some other jaggers and richardses to back him up there and make it big - to do the songs and give the discipline. Having his experiences, I don't think he was much into that.

His latter-day CCR - and also Johnny Winter - interest is fascinating, but altogether I think Brian might have used his wide musical rank and imagination and multi-instrumentalism as a guide for future. His flirting with 'world music', and probably with some other 'authentic' forms of music, not just the blues, might suggest something like that. His film score stuff also shows that he might have an eye for bgger musical landscapes, something to go along the lines of progressive rock movement, when the idea of a few minute catchy pop song was not any longer the only norm of the day (the thing he personally seemed to struggle with). I think the early/mid 70's, with whatever kinds of musical tendencies and ambitions, could have offered him a rather promising circumstance had he survived (and gotten his shit together). Probably he had needed some other ambitious people sharing such interests as well, and having not much 'pop star' agenda.

Shit, he probably could have made a band with MIck Taylor when he quitted the Stones... their colloboration would have been interesting... "Brian Jones Group"...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 15:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 29, 2015 18:49

And me thinks he was so castrated by Mick and Keith and Anita that I really can't see how he'd ever function again. Had he recovered somehow (how do you do that after being fired from your own creation - yes Brian formed the band) he surely could have produced some great music without a doubt. Not pop songs like Paul McCartney or Stewie Wonder but melodies, chord patterns, soundscapes, etc etc. Film scores for sure. I wouldn't make too much out of the World music thing just because he did the very good and indeed important and interesting Joujouka-record. He was promised co-writing on Beggars but of course it was a Jagger/Richards show even more so, just look at how they snubbed off Wyman in regards to his JJF-riff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-29 18:49 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: November 30, 2015 09:37

Two world music albums sprinkled with a couple blues n7mbers. First would sell. The second one, not as much.

Then back to pop music. From What I've read. He liked the fame that came with this.

Then after that didn't work, he joined up with a punk band. Became the image for punk rock.

A liver transplant some time in the 90s.

Lives among some tribe and has a weekly radio show.

Date: November 30, 2015 11:09

MingSubu
Two world music albums sprinkled with a couple blues n7mbers. First would sell. The second one, not as much.

Then back to pop music. From What I've read. He liked the fame that came with this.

Then after that didn't work, he joined up with a punk band. Became the image for punk rock.

A liver transplant some time in the 90s.

Lives among some tribe and has a weekly radio show.

I thought it was Andrew Oldham who lived amongst some tribe and had a weekly radio show?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home