Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

I have STSD (Stones Ticket Stress Disorder)!
Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: November 23, 2015 06:40

Forget PTSD, I have STSD: Stones Ticket Stress Disorder! I've had it since 1972 when I was a young teen trying to get a ticket for my first Stones concert in Philly. Back then, tickets were sold at Ticketron outlets. Not having a car or even a driver's license yet, I walked 30 minutes to get to the bus stop and took a 40 minute bus ride to the nearest Wanamaker's department store because that was the closest Ticketron outlet. Wanamaker's at that time was a high-end store frequented by blue-haired old ladies. When I got there, there were already several hundred long-haired, frayed blue jean wearing flower children in line. The old ladies were mortified by us. The concerts (they had two shows at the Spectrum) sold out in minutes. But no one would leave because of the desperate hope that somehow more tickets might magically become available. After a few hours, the police forced us to disperse. I was heartbroken to have no ticket. I didn't know about ticket brokers and had no clue where to find a scalper--and no money to pay one either.

Then a local AM radio station had a contest: mail in post cards and they would pick one post card every 20 minutes all day and night and call out that name, and that person had to call the station within 10 minutes and they would then win either 4 tickets to see Three Dog Night, 2 tickets to see Chicago, or 1 ticket to see the Rolling Stones. I mailed in 2 post cards and worried how I would stay awake all night to hear if my name was called. On the day the contest began, I was the 5th name called. And I won ...Three Dog Night tickets. I was crushed. But then I realized my family would be away on vacation at the time of the Three Dog Night concert, so I called the radio station and, with the gall (brazen and impudent brashness) that only a young teen could have, told them that because of my vacation plans, they needed to give me a Stones ticket. Instead of telling me, tough luck kid, you won what you won, they said they'd see what they could do. It took a few weeks, but they did finally give me a Stones ticket!! That concert was a dream come true and sealed my fate as a Stones fan forever.

I haven't missed a US tour since, and have been lucky enough to also see the Stones in a few countries in Europe over the years. But every tour causes me extreme STSD. As soon as the tour is announced, the stress begins. As the ticket sale date approaches, I find it difficult to concentrate on work and even to have conversations with my family. They are talking, but instead of listening, I am thinking of strategies for getting my tickets. I have trouble sleeping. I worry and stress like mad until I have obtained my tickets. And I often make really bad decisions when buying tickets (usually over-paying). It has been 43 years of STSD, and I still don't have it under control.

Anybody else have this same problem? I don't think there is a cure other than having tickets in hand. Will be trying for Mexico City tickets in a few hours. Will be a sleepless night. Olé

Re: I have STSD (Stones Ticket Stress Disorder)!
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2015 07:33

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I don't share your disorder but I understand it, obviously you've figure out the cure. Enjoy the Mexico show!

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 07:33

Yeah I was pretty stressed while my dad was getting the tickets back in the spring for San Diego. I mean really stressed. It was a magical combination of excitement, love for the Stones, nervousness, and anxiety. Good luck getting tickets! I love the excitement before tours. Wish I could be there in SA. But I'll be with you all in IORR spirit! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2015 12:32

I feel for you! It takes nerves of steel, but:
A] Don't buy tickets you won't be happy with, and then
B] Be happy with the tickets you buy.

It can also be soothing (or something!) to consider that this adrenalin-filled process
is something the Rolling Stones haven't experienced. They don't know what it's like. We do :E

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: November 23, 2015 12:51

I'm a fellow sufferer. My first tour was Europe 1982. With no internet we relied on the 'inkies' (the weekly music mags New Musical Express, Melody Maker and Sounds) for ticket information. Since these hit the newsagents Wednesdays and the tour dates weren't all announced at the same time, I ended up buying tickets to see them in Rotterdam because there was no certainty they'd confirm UK dates and no certainty I'd get any if they did. In the end I saw them at Wembley, Bristol and Roundhay Park in Leeds, but suffered STSD then and am suffering now waiting for Brazil tickets!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 23, 2015 13:30

Great story !!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 23, 2015 13:44

Sending awesome easy ticket vibes for Mexico! Let us know how you fare.

I have my own dramatic and life altering experiences trying to get to my first RS shows- 1981 and 1989 in America- won't go into details, but both times DAY of the shows I got crushed/ bad luck/ didn't make the shows, and swore I'd never try again.
Until 2015 Zip.
Excited for you!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 23, 2015 16:43

STSD, great topic!!!! May I quote you on this one, elsewhere to other fans, JadedFaded?
I have the syndrome also.

with sssoul, great advice, both counts. I will test this out soon.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 17:28 by angee.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: November 23, 2015 17:24

I am a sufferer as well, and nearly went into meltdown when the Buenos Aires tickets went on sale and I tried and tried all night to get them on the ticketek website.

My first symptoms came in 1989. I was a sophomore in college and had a buddy who was working at ticketmaster (or whoever did the tickets then.)
The Stones announced four shows at the LA Coliseum. If I recall, they were 35 bucks each.

Anyway, I managed to get tickets for three of the shows. My buddy had one for me on the other night (the third in the run) but I just couldn't put 35 bucks together to make it happen. I only had $20 left.

I still regret not finding a way to get that ticket!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 23, 2015 17:52

Thanks for the great story!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2015 17:53

Enjoy the thrill of the chase! thumbs up

Date: November 23, 2015 20:02

No luck this morning! Problems with our Santander credit card!! Am very frustrated and disappointed and pissed. Will try again Thursday at the general sale. That means 3 more days of stress, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, upset tummy and sleeplessness.

Angee, feel free to quote.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 24, 2015 00:47

Thanks, Jaded/Faded.

I tried to get the Santader card...complications ensued, so I decided not to pursue it.
Hearing your experience today, I am sad for you, and yet glad I didn't count on the card.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: November 26, 2015 20:00

Got decent tix to Mexico City! Now my STSD is over and I can return to functioning as a normal human being again...until the next time...hopefully Europe next year or the year after!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 26, 2015 22:16

Holy cow, nice to know such a spirit still exist. Keep the faith and good luck to you.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 27, 2015 08:01

JadedFaded
Got decent tix to Mexico City! Now my STSD is over and I can return to functioning as a normal human being again...until the next time...hopefully Europe next year or the year after!

thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: June 11, 2016 04:19

Had ticket stress for Desert Trip, but not too badly since it's such a crap venue. If I hadn't gotten tickets, it would not have been an emotional disaster. But Vegas! Here we go again with serious ticket stress!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 11, 2016 06:56

I haven't had ticket stress in years. I just walk up to the box office night of and almost always score decent, sometimes incredible seats, without scalpers or Ticketmaster extra gouge. There is no such thing as sold out if it's in a stadium, and even most arenas have tickets they don't put on sale until the end. On the Licks Tour I got the Stones' tickets themselves, 17th row on side of the stage, sitting with Clear Channel execs and Bill Walton and other celebs.

I've gotten 5th Row Prince that way, and countless other tix.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 11, 2016 16:06

I, too, am a fellow sufferer. Great story.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 11, 2016 20:29

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-11 20:31 by jambay.

Date: June 11, 2016 21:13

24FPS
I haven't had ticket stress in years. I just walk up to the box office night of and almost always score decent, sometimes incredible seats, without scalpers or Ticketmaster extra gouge. There is no such thing as sold out if it's in a stadium, and even most arenas have tickets they don't put on sale until the end. On the Licks Tour I got the Stones' tickets themselves, 17th row on side of the stage, sitting with Clear Channel execs and Bill Walton and other celebs.

I've gotten 5th Row Prince that way, and countless other tix.

I envy you, 24FPS! I can never relax until I know I have a ticket.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home