Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT - The unOFFICIAL JAZZ thread....
Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 2, 2018 14:05

Any IORRian jazzers going to see Daryl Jones at Ronnie Scott?

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: September 2, 2018 14:45

Recently discovered: Nik Bärtsch / Ronin, worth a listen.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 2, 2018 16:36

RoughJusticeOnYa
latebloomer
John Coltrane and the End of Jazz

Putting his classic quartet’s ‘lost album’ in its context.

[www.weeklystandard.com]

Thx! Interesting read.

thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 2, 2018 17:52

I'm a real novice when it comes to jazz. I have Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and love them, and I love jazzy/funky rock fusion.

Any recommendations? I've heard Weather Report is a good band for that style.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: September 2, 2018 19:49

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 5, 2018 00:47

Rare Louis Armstrong recording released via Deutsche Grammophon

by Matt Micucci

Deutsche Grammophon (DG), the world’s oldest and most renowned classical music label, is celebrating its landmark 120th anniversary this year. To mark the occasion, DG and Google Arts & Culture are creating digitized versions of rediscovered and previously unreleased tracks from rare surviving Galvano metal masters. These masters were recorded in the early 1900s and found deep in the vaults of the label’s archives.

The initiative, titled The Shellac Project, will see 400 digitized shellac records released over the next several months. These will include early recordings by the legendary jazz trumpeter Louis Armstrong, Russian opera singer Feodor Chaliapin, Austrian-born violinist and composer Fritz Kreisler, and iconic Russian author Leo Tolstoy giving a rare reading of one of his novels. The first 40 tracks of The Shellac Project have already been released, including an early recording of “St. Louis Blues” by Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra.

Deutsche Grammophon's The Shellac Project I on Google Arts and Culture: [artsandculture.google.com]

This recording of “St. Louis Blues” resulted from an early studio session in Paris, France, and was originally released via the French music label Brunswick. The tracks from this session are known among Armstrong scholars but have always been available in inferior, muffled quality. DG licensed the songs back in 1934 and kept the metal masters until today. They can now be heard in unprecedented quality.

The records will all be made available through DG’s own channels, the Google Arts & Culture platform, and via partner streaming platforms. In addition, DG has curated 12 online exhibitions on the Google Arts & Culture platform through which users can learn more about the label, its artists, how records are made, and its founder, Emil Berliner, the German-born American citizen who invented the gramophone and founded the label in 1898 as the German branch of his Berliner Gramophone company.

For more information regarding other activities celebrating DG’s 120th anniversary, go to [www.deutschegrammophon.com]

[www.jazziz.com]

St. Louis Blues - Louis Armstrong

On the Sunny Side of the Street - Louis Armstrong

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2018 00:54

Fanks Cristiano ………. cant have enough of that early Armstrong stuff …

Struttin' With Some Barbeque can pull anyone out of a nose-dive ….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 5, 2018 02:46

Rockman
Fanks Cristiano ………. cant have enough of that early Armstrong stuff

Struttin' With Some Barbeque can pull anyone out of a nose-dive ….

Same here. It can't get better than that! smileys with beer

Date: September 24, 2020 03:16

Hear Dave Brubeck’s Previously Unreleased Early Version of ‘Take Five’

In honor of the pianist’s centennial, Brubeck Editions will issue Time OutTakes, an album featuring alternate versions of iconic 1959 tracks

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (unreleased)

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 24, 2020 19:09

Yall want some Jazz ? The Crusaders featuring Mr.335 Larry Carlton -So Far Away [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 24, 2020 19:13

Great story about how I got into Jazz when I was 16 working part time at the local Grocery store and made friends with a Gent a few years older than me who knew I loved guitar oriented music and he suggested I try out the Crusaders with Larry Carlton amongst others and I was completely and utterly blown away by the melodies of the music in the incomparable form of Jazz which cracked open my mind a little bit . Seriously great music !

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 25, 2020 00:10

keefriff99
I'm a real novice when it comes to jazz. I have Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and love them, and I love jazzy/funky rock fusion.

Obviously you can pick up more miles davis.
The other ones to think about is Herbie Hancock: head hunters. Or ornett coleman: dancing in your head.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2020 02:14

Cristiano Radtke
Hear Dave Brubeck’s Previously Unreleased Early Version of ‘Take Five’

In honor of the pianist’s centennial, Brubeck Editions will issue Time OutTakes, an album featuring alternate versions of iconic 1959 tracks

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (unreleased)

One of my all time faves.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 25, 2020 09:54

The new Greyboy Allstars album featuring Karl Denson is quite jazzy and funky, with some cool grooves and catchy melodies.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: September 25, 2020 12:12

keefriff99

I’ve been looking for releases on the Japanese TBM label as they seem to have some amazing works on there. Haven’t got a @#$%& clue what I’m looking for as it’s mainly in Japanese but what I’ve heard so far has been dynamite.

Date: October 24, 2020 16:26

Date: January 29, 2021 23:08

This will be one of the most amazing releases for this year, imho.

Mosaic Records Presents: ‘The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia & RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946 – 66’ out April 10, 2021

These recorded works featuring celebrated historic releases such as Louis Armstrong Plays W.C Handy, Satch Plays Fats and The Real Ambassadors all come from the artist’s latter years recording on both Columbia and RCA Victor.

[lydialiebman.com]

Date: January 30, 2021 03:34

Cristiano Radtke

Mosaic Records Presents: ‘The Complete Louis Armstrong Columbia & RCA Victor Studio Sessions 1946 – 66’ out April 10, 2021

These recorded works featuring celebrated historic releases such as Louis Armstrong Plays W.C Handy, Satch Plays Fats and The Real Ambassadors all come from the artist’s latter years recording on both Columbia and RCA Victor.

[lydialiebman.com]

holy moly! that's cool. My 13 year old daughter has just discovered Satchmo, and playing cuts for me off of Alexa. It's pretty funny.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 30, 2021 05:45

Since watching the movie Motherless Brooklyn, I have been fascinated by Jerry Weldon with his blowing.

Date: January 31, 2021 05:18

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

[lydialiebman.com]

holy moly! that's cool. My 13 year old daughter has just discovered Satchmo, and playing cuts for me off of Alexa. It's pretty funny.

I'd say that is cool. I don't have kids but I have younger brothers and I'm sure they would never hear anything like Satch. grinning smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 31, 2021 10:55

Listening to quite a bit of Peggy Lee jazz.What a voice.The female Sinatra indeed.

Date: July 8, 2022 06:10

This is one of the most enjoyable interviews I've ever seen. Gotta love Louis!

Date: July 8, 2022 07:16

Cristiano Radtke
This is one of the most enjoyable interviews I've ever seen. Gotta love Louis!

smileys with beer

Date: July 8, 2022 08:57

Date: August 23, 2022 21:16

Louis Armstrong's Black & Blues

Drawing on Louis Armstrong’s audio diaries, documentarian Sacha Jenkins (Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men) revisits the music and reappraises the politics of the legendary jazz trumpeter and singer.

Louis Armstrong meticulously recorded audio diaries of himself that reveal a different side of his personality than the showman on camera. Those tapes play a key role in this deeply enriching documentary portrait of the virtuoso jazz musician — one that also draws upon a stunning array of additional archival footage.

This project finds an ideal match in filmmaker Sacha Jenkins, a journalist whose work has appeared in Vibe, Rolling Stone, and Mass Appeal in addition to being a musician himself. Jenkins pulls off a feat in covering Armstrong’s expansive career — from New Orleans to Chicago to New York and ultimately conquering the world. Visually, the film stays rooted in Armstrong’s era, drawing upon eclectic footage of him in performance, on the road, and at home. We hear archival recordings of his contemporaries including Dizzy Gillespie, Count Basie, and Artie Shaw, as well as Armstrong’s second wife, pianist Lil Hardin, and his last wife, Lucille, to whom he was married for nearly 30 years. Passages from his private correspondence are read by Nas.

The film grapples with how Armstrong was perceived by a younger, more radical generation who thought he was overly accommodating to white audiences. Ossie Davis, Amiri Baraka, and Wynton Marsalis each attest to being detractors who turned into admirers.

No film this year will have a better soundtrack. We go deep into Armstrong’s repertoire, tracing his jazz predecessors, contemporaries, and disciples, plus new music composed by Terence Blanchard. The film’s gift is to put Armstrong’s voice in our ear, not only singing, but also talking, joking, complaining, and leaving a record of his life. Black & Blues pays him the respect of letting him tell his story in his own words.

[tiff.net]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 24, 2022 00:47

Any Bix Beiderbecke fans here? That was Armstrong's favorite. I have a collection with 99% of whatever Bix recorded.

Date: August 24, 2022 00:51

What is everyone's opinion on the rereleases from the Jazz greats of the past, on vinyl from the likes of labels such as "Waxtime", "DOL" or "Jazz Images"?

I think these are all Eastern European originated pressings.

You can get Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Brubeck, Thelonious Monk, Getz etc....quite a lot.

These are 'unofficial' releases I think, yet exist along side the big labels like Sony, Capitol, Reprise or Decca, but are usually far less expensive, maybe fallen out of copyright protection?

I've bought a few now and I've found the quality pretty good, heavyweight vinyl and attention to detail on the packaging, including vinyl lined paper inner sleeves in addition to the normal artwork.

Anyway, if you're familiar with them, just curious about your thoughts on them.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 24, 2022 01:49

Whale
keefriff99

Obviously you can pick up more miles davis.
The other ones to think about is Herbie Hancock: head hunters. Or ornett coleman: dancing in your head.

Weather Report, yes! I used to listen quite a bit and saw them live once.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-24 17:13 by angee.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 25, 2022 05:02

Regarding Louis Armstrong, here's a few well worth listening to. I'm listing them by artist involved. If they've already been noted here I don't know.

Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis (all albums)
Duke Ellington and Louis

Regarding other jazz, check out some of the following artists:

Cannonball Adderly
Wes Montgomery
Grant Green
Gene Ammons
Ben Webster
Shirley Horn
Karrin Allyson (Ballads: Remembering John Coltrane and In Blue are very good albums)
Carmen McRae (superb vocalist)
Charles Mingus
Ramsey Lewis Trio (my entry to jazz)
Nat King Cole (he started as a jazz performer)

There's so many more to be discovered and explored. Happy hunting.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 25, 2022 08:23

dmay
Regarding Louis Armstrong, here's a few well worth listening to. I'm listing them by artist involved. If they've already been noted here I don't know.

Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis (all albums)
Duke Ellington and Louis

Regarding other jazz, check out some of the following artists:

Cannonball Adderly
Wes Montgomery
Grant Green
Gene Ammons
Ben Webster
Shirley Horn
Karrin Allyson (Ballads: Remembering John Coltrane and In Blue are very good albums)
Carmen McRae (superb vocalist)
Charles Mingus
Ramsey Lewis Trio (my entry to jazz)
Nat King Cole (he started as a jazz performer)

There's so many more to be discovered and explored. Happy hunting.

You hit a lot of my favorites. (Where's Bix?) Gene Ammons is great, though somewhat obscure now. My father was a jazz drummer and worked alongside Wes Mongomery in a factory in the 1950s. Anita O'Day is another one. To me she is the greatest female jazz singer after Billie Holiday. How about the greatest drummer of all time, Buddy Rich? Was Charlie Parker and Diz too obvious? Somebody I've just gotten into recently is the trumpet player Bobby Hackett. Rex Stewart. Roland Kirk.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home