Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: OT: Happy 80th to Kris Kristofferson
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:14

Agree Tom, Kristofferson has written some gorgeous songs. Happy birthday to the man, hope he has many more.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:50

latebloomer
Agree Tom, Kristofferson has written some gorgeous songs. Happy birthday to the man, hope he has many more.

+1. Can't believe we're all growing old!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 23, 2016 23:17

Kris Kristofferson is an honorary ambassador of Dalarna (a Swedish county). His grandfather, who was a soldier, emigrated from Sweden in 1904. Kris Kristoffersons father was a Major General in the US Air Force.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 23, 2016 23:27

Stoneage
Kris Kristofferson is an honorary ambassador of Dalarna (a Swedish county). His grandfather, who was a soldier, emigrated from Sweden in 1904. Kris Kristoffersons father was a Major General in the US Air Force.

"...Joining in 1960, Kristofferson became a helicopter pilot after completing Ranger School and eventually worked his way to the rank of Captain. During this time he continued to work on music and even formed his own band while stationed in Germany. Kristofferson was offered a teaching position in Literature at West Point, but he turned it down to focus on music. By the time his military service was done, his family disowned him for leaving the Army, and he had gone through a bitter divorce...
...While both his music and acting career have seen dips and turns over the years, Kristofferson is still active in both professions and has secured his position as one of the great country music stars of his time. Kristofferson was inducted into the songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1985 and has earned over 48 different BMI Country and Pop awards. He also received the Veteran of the Year Award at the American Veteran Awards in 2011, with fellow country legend and vet Willie Nelson presenting the honor. True to his straight-shooting nature, Kristofferson noted during his acceptance speech, "Maybe military service oughta be a requirement of our political leaders today."
[www.military.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 23, 2016 23:52

hopkins
Stoneage

"...Joining in 1960, Kristofferson became a helicopter pilot after completing Ranger School and eventually worked his way to the rank of Captain. During this time he continued to work on music and even formed his own band while stationed in Germany. Kristofferson was offered a teaching position in Literature at West Point, but he turned it down to focus on music. By the time his military service was done, his family disowned him for leaving the Army, and he had gone through a bitter divorce...
...While both his music and acting career have seen dips and turns over the years, Kristofferson is still active in both professions and has secured his position as one of the great country music stars of his time. Kristofferson was inducted into the songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1985 and has earned over 48 different BMI Country and Pop awards. He also received the Veteran of the Year Award at the American Veteran Awards in 2011, with fellow country legend and vet Willie Nelson presenting the honor. True to his straight-shooting nature, Kristofferson noted during his acceptance speech, "Maybe military service oughta be a requirement of our political leaders today."
[www.military.com]

"What if i told you that one of the most important recordings in country music history came from a janitor riding a helicopter? Well you might (rightfully) think I was crazy, but that’s the story of "Sunday Morning Coming Down".

It was 1969 and Kris Kristofferson was working as a janitor at Columbia Records in Nashville Tennessee. That was a weird gig for Kris, since he was a Rhodes Scholar with a masters degree in English literature who up that point had spent most of his adult life teaching at the prestigious West Point Academy. Eventually Kris got fed up with the 9-to-5, and decided to pursue his true love -- country songwriting. He got signed to a small label out of Nashville and he made money doing odd jobs like bartending, flying workers offshore on company helicopters, and janitorial work at Columbia.

As Johnny Cash was signed to Columbia, Kris often saw The Man in Black hanging out in the the halls. Kris would often walk up to Johnny and give him a copy of one of his songs, just hoping that he would record it and Kris would be able to fulfill his dream of writing a country hit. Johnny would take the tapes, but would never record the songs (he later admitted that he threw them them all in a lake as soon as he got home). So Kris decided to take extreme action.

Kris Kristofferson was out on flight training, when he decided to make an unexpected detour. He set his sights for the Cash estate, and landed his helicopter right onto Johnny Cash’s front lawn! What happened next is up for debate - Johnny Cash claims that Kris had "a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other" and "practically fell out of that helicopter when he landed." While Kris claims:

“John wasn’t even there. He had a very creative memory. He told how I got out of the helicopter with a beer in one hand and a tape in the other. And I said, 'John, you’ve got to have both hands and both feet when you’re flying a helicopter.'”

What is for certain is that the stunt got Johnny’s attention, stopped him from throwing Kris’s tapes in the lake, and convinced him to take a risk and record Kris’s new song “Sunday Morning Coming Down”.

[music.cbc.ca]

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 23, 2016 23:54

tomcasagranda
He's a great songwriter. Some of them albums that sneaked past the radar, i.e from Borderlord onwards are underrated gems. Rescue Mission, written with Bobby Neuwirth, is a great song, so too Rock'n'roll Time, Risky Business, Mean Old Man, What About Me ?, Shipwrecked In The 80s, Nobody Loves Anybody Anymore. I could go on.

Never heard of 'em

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 24, 2016 00:13

'Blame it on the Stones'

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: June 24, 2016 01:02

He recently spent a weekend at Ronnie Hawkins house in Peterborough along with Gordon Lightfoot and other artists. Apparently they recorded a song that will be released at some point,

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 24, 2016 04:18

Love his stuff-- a true artist--a true rebel---aint no bullshit with that guy......

Re: OT: Happy Birthday and more
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 25, 2016 06:32

^ thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-26 04:50 by hopkins.

OT: Happy 70th Birthday Jeff Beck
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 24, 2014 13:26

Still going strong!smoking smiley

Re: OT: Happy 70th Birthday Jeff Beck
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:18

the best musicans in the world are in their 70s now.

Happy Birthday to Mr. Jeff Beck

His performance with The Rolling Stones @ The O2 Arena was more than great. The Stones sounded with him like a hard rock band!!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: June 24, 2014 14:41

Happy Birthday!!

But read yesterday (spiegel-online) that he has to cancel the europian tour cause of health problems.
Sad enough but I´m glad I could see him in Berlin last month. He was in good shape btw.

Tom

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 24, 2014 19:28

Happy 70th Jeff. smileys with beer

Didn't know he had to cancel some of the tour.

Thought his website was very slow with nothing coming through for weeks now.

Hope he soon gets back to good health.

The biggest pain,literally, as anyone gets older,is yer health. confused smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:08

crawdaddy
Happy 70th Jeff. smileys with beer

Didn't know he had to cancel some of the tour.

Thought his website was very slow with nothing coming through for weeks now.

Hope he soon gets back to good health.

The biggest pain,literally, as anyone gets older,is yer health. confused smiley

figuratively too

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:16

treaclefingers
crawdaddy

The biggest pain,literally, as anyone gets older,is yer health.

figuratively too

what a drag it is

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:22

Nikkei
treaclefingers
crawdaddy

The biggest pain,literally, as anyone gets older,is yer health.

figuratively too

what a drag it is

Take 4 more, it will help you thru your busy dying daywinking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 24, 2014 20:44

went through that procedure already, in germany it's already close to 8pm =)

edit: Happy Birthday Jeff Beck! (almost forgot)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-24 20:44 by Nikkei.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:30

Saw him last year with Brian Wilson. His guitar playing is head and shoulders above ANY surviving brit guitar gods. He left Page, Keef, and Clapton in the dust a long time ago.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: June 24, 2014 21:35

Right on, he's getting better and better !

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 24, 2014 22:14

His European tour is off, health reasons.

[www.spiegel.de]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:58

I read somewhere a few years back that Beck was working so constantly in recent years because he was planning on retiring at 70. I wonder if that's true. It does seem that there were several years of sporadic or nonactivity, but every year since 2008 or so he has been continually recording and touring. If he is still working at this pace a year from now, we'll know it was just a rumor. Only Clapton is planning on retiring--from the regular grind of touring that is. I suppose when you get a bit older, you're happier just to spend more time in one place.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 25, 2014 02:39

24FPS
Saw him last year with Brian Wilson. His guitar playing is head and shoulders above ANY surviving brit guitar gods. He left Page, Keef, and Clapton in the dust a long time ago.

Totally agree! I've got tickets for the 2nd date (Seattle) of the ZZ Top tour. Excited, as always with his shows. Lot of good, recent boots out there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2014 18:33

Get well Jeff!!!

Jeff Beck

Jeff Beck has canceled the second leg of his European tour.

Beck, who turned 70 on June 24, has been instructed by doctors to stop performing for six weeks. He also will "undertake a short hospital procedure."

We are unsure of the nature of Beck's condition, a condition that recently was the result of "emergency medical attention." We hope to update this story when we have more information.

The announcement was made earlier today, June 26, via a news item posted on Beck's official website, jeffbeckofficial.com. You can read the complete post below:

"It is with the greatest regret that Jeff Beck has been forced to cancel the forthcoming European dates of his worldwide tour, set to begin in Austria on June 27.

"Following many months of international touring and after seeking emergency medical attention, Jeff will now undertake a short hospital procedure, and his doctors have instructed a complete break from performance for a total of six weeks. Following the treatment, Jeff will fulfill his U.S. tour commitments beginning in Missoula, Montana, on August 8.

"He sends his profound apologies to those fans who had bought tickets for the European concerts and very much looks forward to playing for his American audiences after he has completed his treatment."

In February, Beck announced that his next studio album, which is still expected to be released later this year, will be a "very important" release. In an interview with Rolling Stone, he discussed the timing of — and process of creating — his upcoming release.

“I think I’ve drawn attention. I’ve worked, worked, worked for the last three years. Now is the time really. My [70th] birthday is coming up, if you get me. I thought it was time for a really good studio album I had control over and time to do properly instead of a budget problem. Even though I do have budget problems!”"

Date: June 26, 2014 20:08

24FPS

Beck is a great guitar player. A lot of my guitar playing buddies agree with you regarding Page and Clapton. The thing is, he's a one trick pony, you heard one Beck song, you heard them all.

Date: June 27, 2014 00:27

BluzDude
24FPS

Beck is a great guitar player. A lot of my guitar playing buddies agree with you regarding Page and Clapton. The thing is, he's a one trick pony, you heard one Beck song, you heard them all.

Couldn't disagree more Bluzdude regarding "one trick pony, you heard one Beck song, you heard them all"...
From his early days in the Yardbirds, to Becks Bolero, to Going Down, to Cause We've Ended As Lovers,
to Freeway Jam, Blue Wind, etc., etc., etc....plenty of variety in sounds and technique!

Date: June 27, 2014 01:14

Hairball
BluzDude
24FPS

Couldn't disagree more Bluzdude regarding "one trick pony, you heard one Beck song, you heard them all"...
From his early days in the Yardbirds, to Becks Bolero, to Going Down, to Cause We've Ended As Lovers,
to Freeway Jam, Blue Wind, etc., etc., etc....plenty of variety in sounds and technique!

To each there own opinion. To me it sounds like one long song....except for some of the yardbirds stuff because he wasn't quite into his own yet.

Date: June 27, 2014 01:34

BluzDude
Hairball
BluzDude
24FPS

To each there own opinion. To me it sounds like one long song....except for some of the yardbirds stuff because he wasn't quite into his own yet.

Yes of course to each their own opinion...
But if all the songs I listed were combined into one song...whoa nelly that would be one hell of a song, albeit a bit chaotic!!!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 01:34

Great guitar player but he always reminds me of this song grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:06

BluzDude
24FPS

Okay, once again, different ears. When I saw him with Brian Wilson he did a short set of 70s fusion numbers that sounded nothing like the blues numbers he did, or A Day In The Life, or others. And his facility is intact to me, which is what Keith lost about ten years ago, after spending many years getting it back after the heroin ravages of the 70s.

To me Jeff Beck is the only gunslinger still standing. Let's hope he recovers from his illness and gets out there with ZZ Top in the U.S. this August.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home