Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: OT: Hello Dolly
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 19, 2016 20:32

Happy Birthday, Dolly!

Living as close as I do to Dolly's "home-front" we tend to hear a lot about her and her activities. Below is a link to what I think is her most important work outside of music/entertainment. I know a few people here locally who have benefitted from this program and all have been full of praise for it. Some of y'all may be interested as well:

Inspired by her father’s inability to read or write, Dolly created her Imagination Library, a book gifting program designed to foster a love of reading in children. The program which began in Sevier County Tennessee has now mailed more than 70 million free books to children across Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States.

[imaginationlibrary.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:02

...Gonna dance with a dolly with a hole in her stockin'
While our knees keep a knockin' and our toes keep a rockin'
Dance with a dolly with a hole in her stockin'
Dance by the light of the moon....

Happy Birthday Dolly!

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: January 19, 2016 21:24

Jolene rocks...grew up on this as my Father is from Arkansas...Dolly and Johnny loud every sunday morning throughout the house played on my record player in my bedroom so no sleeping in!

OT: Happy birthday Queen Liz
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:36

She's 90 today. Think she'll ever give it up and let Price Chuck have a shot at the throne?

Re: OT: Happy birthday Queen Liz
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:40

dmay
She's 90 today. Think she'll ever give it up and let Price Chuck have a shot at the throne?

Nope, she'll die on the f***ing thing. God knows why, she's got this 'thing' about 'duty' and all that claptrap, she'll be on it till she croaks !! I don't get it myself ... I really don't.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 21, 2016 17:46

Is it actually her birthday because for some ridiculous reason she has two of them.

Anyway happy birthday Liz put the stones on and light up a spliff.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 22, 2016 06:20

Anybody who turns 90 years young deserves a toast smileys with beer

and a song... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 22, 2016 08:53

paulywaul
dmay

Nope, she'll die on the f***ing thing. God knows why, she's got this 'thing' about 'duty' and all that claptrap, she'll be on it till she croaks !! I don't get it myself ... I really don't.

thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 22, 2016 09:30

paulywaul
dmay

Excuse me, but doesn't Keith have the same attitude to "duty" ?
Croaking on stage etc.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 22, 2016 10:45

jlowe
paulywaul
dmay

Excuse me, but doesn't Keith have the same attitude to "duty" ?
Croaking on stage etc.

Hardly a point of comparison really, is it ? Queenie to KR ? WTF !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

O.T. Happy Birthday Ray Davies
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 21, 2016 22:45

Love the Kinks

Re: O.T. Happy Birthday Ray Davies
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 21, 2016 23:38

Ray one of the best songwriters of the 20th Century imho. On par with the true greats of his era, music that will live forever. His catalog so deep and he's still active and great. Since the Invasion I've personally rated his writing as important as any in the sixties and seventies who are not American acts. He's brilliant and unique and his career is staggering. As a cultural critic and observer, as an observational writer evoking deep emotions with intelligence, irreverence and fun. My axis as a teen, as far as UK or Euro artists go, was Animals, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who and Irishman extraordinaire Sir George Ivan Morrison. All these decades later I still revere and listen to Ray, Kinks or solo. His "golden period" is almost inestimable; his output was so startling large and good. Happy Birthday and thank you Ray. Imo he leaves most of the 'competition' in the dust, as far as still being relevant, listenable with many of his classics betraying a transcendent elegance. He also rocked his ass off. All love and respect to Ray. Dozens and dozens of classic great songs that few can match in quantity, quality or clarity of vision.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 21, 2016 23:48

hopkins
Ray one of the best songwriters of the 20th Century imho. On par with the true greats of his era, music that will live forever. His catalog so deep and he's still active and great. Since the Invasion I've personally rated his writing as important as any in the sixties and seventies who are not American acts. He's brilliant and unique and his career is staggering. As a cultural critic and observer, as an observational writer evoking deep emotions with intelligence, irreverence and fun. My axis as a teen, as far as UK or Euro artists go, was Animals, Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who and Irishman extraordinaire Sir George Ivan Morrison. All these decades later I still revere and listen to Ray, Kinks or solo. His "golden period" is almost inestimable; his output was so startling large and good. Happy Birthday and thank you Ray. Imo he leaves most of the 'competition' in the dust, as far as still being relevant, listenable with many of his classics betraying a transcendent elegance. He also rocked his ass off. All love and respect to Ray. Dozens and dozens of classic great songs that few can match in quantity, quality or clarity of vision.
Eloquent Post! Cheers!

Date: June 22, 2016 00:07

One of the greatest songwriters AND performers ever.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 22, 2016 00:10

DandelionPowderman

I'll take what ever you've been drinkin' DP grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 00:45

Ray is brilliant. He is a rock n' roll poet. And so interesting and complex!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 00:46

dosent he have a number.

didnt see it mentioned

Date: June 22, 2016 01:38

He's 72, born in 1944.

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: June 22, 2016 03:11

The Kinks were (are) as great as anyone when they were great! thumbs up Ray is in my top five songwriters, somedays for the amount of songs and rarely a throwaway, he could be the best!

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 22, 2016 13:14

He´s one of the best song writers and performers. At least with the Kinks.
Saw them live several times from 1977 to 1993. Each gig is one to remember.
And each gig was really stripped down concerning their eqipment. Just a few amps and guitars. But they rocked and they rolled. And they entertained with their personality and their charisma.

Date: June 22, 2016 14:21

Come On
DandelionPowderman

I'll take what ever you've been drinkin' DP grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-22 15:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: June 22, 2016 14:28

Happy Birthday Genius!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 23, 2016 06:35

Pretty darn talented Ray Davies is indeed! Happy Birthday and many more...

Date: June 23, 2016 07:57

Here's about 50 or 60 great Kinks tracks, just part of what Ray has written and given us. I keep scrolling down and picking favorites from all eras. An unending horn of plenty.
[www.youtube.com]

OT: Happy 80th to Kris Kristofferson
Date: June 23, 2016 06:19

He's a poet, he's a picker--
He's a prophet, he's a pusher--
He's a pilgrim and a preacher, and a problem when he's stoned--
He's a walkin' contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction,
Takin' ev'ry wrong direction on his lonely way back home.

The Pilgrim, Chapter 33

Re: OT: Happy 80th to Kris Kristofferson
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 23, 2016 07:25

Just watched The Highwaymen concert on PBS. What a hell of a group! Kris is an immense talent.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 23, 2016 13:26

Happy 80th birthday fellow Swede!

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: June 23, 2016 19:17

Never understood the appeal. A coupla good songs and a voice that makes Dylan sound like Pavarotti.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 23, 2016 20:53

Songwriting genius and compelling performer.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 23, 2016 22:10

He's a great songwriter. Some of them albums that sneaked past the radar, i.e from Borderlord onwards are underrated gems. Rescue Mission, written with Bobby Neuwirth, is a great song, so too Rock'n'roll Time, Risky Business, Mean Old Man, What About Me ?, Shipwrecked In The 80s, Nobody Loves Anybody Anymore. I could go on.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home