Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: OT: Happy 70th Birthday Jeff Beck
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 27, 2014 02:15

Great British guitar player who I was so glad to see at RAH about a month ago.

Sorely tempted to go to the states to see his band and ZZ Top when they are on tour.

Can't see it happening in Europe as the joint Beach Boys and Jeff Beck tour didn't.

Get well soon anyway Jeff, and a speedy recovery. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 27, 2014 03:13

i understand both sides of the arguement-when jeff started doing that whole mostly instrumental thing it was great but it got old-he's at his best with a band with a proper lead singer.

the jeff beck group with ronnie and rod was classic, of course, but also the second jeff beck group with cozy powell and bob tench was really good.

i saw him a few years ago with a female singer named beth hart who was really good,he needs a proper band or it does meander a bit. even so,still one of the greats without a doubt.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: June 27, 2014 05:03

Hope he mends well.

The fusion stuff leaves me cold. Saw him with Brian Wilson and clearly he is playing at the very top o his game -- him and his band absolutely virtuosic. But I would have appreciated a "Beck's Bolero", "Shapes of Things," "Situation", "Freeway Jam".... To his credit he did all stuff I did not recognize (Save "Danny Boy,: "Rollin' and Tumblin'," and "Surf's Up" withe BW band) -- he isn't catering to the past like pretty much everyone else of his generation. But again -- left me cold.

Favorite Beck LP -- "Rough and Ready." Lost classic. Invented Eddie Van Halen to my ears.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2014 09:49

Beck is in this strange position. He was never that big as a rock star in America, at least, because he never allied himself with a big time vocalist for very long. He had no Robert Plant, or Steve Tyler, with greatest hits to play over and over and over. He doesn't really have A greatest hit. It's probably been detrimental to him financially, but hey, for us it's great. It's like seeing a new artist playing all kinds of music, which is much more exciting than hearing SFTD for the 900th time.

Most artists like Led Zeppelin, Cream, the Stones, have to play those hits. They may ache to play new material, or dig deep in their catalogue, but they can't.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 27, 2014 12:27

24FPS
Beck is in this strange position. He was never that big as a rock star in America, at least, because he never allied himself with a big time vocalist for very long. He had no Robert Plant, or Steve Tyler, with greatest hits to play over and over and over. He doesn't really have A greatest hit. It's probably been detrimental to him financially, but hey, for us it's great. It's like seeing a new artist playing all kinds of music, which is much more exciting than hearing SFTD for the 900th time.

Most artists like Led Zeppelin, Cream, the Stones, have to play those hits. They may

I sent Jeff a note via his website on his birthday (I have no delusions about whether he'll receive it or not but hey, you never know). Talked about how much his music has meant to me. My main point though was I told him how much I admire him for following his muse. That's the key to many of my favorite artists. Following your heart, commercial considerations be damned. For me, that's what true art is all about. Art vs. product. Of course, art is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. The cool thing is that while not always being mega-rich, most of these folks make a decent living while being true to themselves. The artists like that tend to be the ones that I really listen to often. Sometimes it takes time for them to realize that but once they do the results are worth the wait. Examples of some of the folks I'm talking about are (in varying degrees) are Jeff Beck (obviously), The Flaming Lips, Neil Finn, Trent Reznor, David Bowie, Guided By Voices, Nick Cave, John Frusciante, Neil Young, Drive-by Truckers, Greg Dulli (Afghan Whigs), Robert Smith, Iggy Pop, Jeff Tweedy, Bob Dylan, Robert Plant, Mark Lanegan, Mogwai, Merle Haggard, Jack White & You Am I (really awesome, sort of obscure Aussie band who have been around a long time). That's a pretty good list of my favorite music that I listen to a lot. My tastes vary wildly & I do like some more commercial stuff plenty, like the Stones. I often wonder what the Stones would've been like if they hadn't been quite so huge. It certainly would've rendered the war horse argument mute. I still love them but my expectations for anything new & exciting are low. Sorry if I've been long winded but I've been thinking about this stuff a lot lately after a recent brush with mortality. I certainly have no intentions of offending anyone.cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-27 12:30 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 27, 2014 12:36

Happy B-Day and to a speedy recovery!

Probably my favorite "technical" guitar player ever but I must admit I passed on attending his recent concert in Paris after checking out a recording of his shows in Japan. His current selection on stage really doesn't talk to me a lot. The "comeback" album in 1999 (?) "What Mama Said" was a good blend of old and new but to my years it's been going downhill ever since in terms of actual "music". Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the upcoming new album is much of an improvement in that respect.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 3, 2014 01:09

Not sure if this was already posted somewhere else but Jeff gives some insight on what happened with his health in May :

You had to cancel a European tour in June a for an emergency medical procedure on your back. What happened?
It was two things. About a year before, I'd had a back problem and I had to have an MRI scan and I couldn't walk. It was just a lower-back injury from lifting things while working on my hotrods. And then that turned into something where I just couldn't stand up for more than 10 minutes during the last European tour. And I said, "Look, I've got to get this fixed." So I had to get some surgery. They drilled about four holes in the front. After that, the problem kicked in again. I couldn't even get out of bed for about a week after the operation. It just slowed me down generally.

Full article here [www.rollingstone.com] with some insight on how Brian Wilson operates these days...kinda scary!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 3, 2014 10:46

Listening to Blow By Blow. Anyone ready for the new Eagle Rock release of Live In Tokyo?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2014 11:28

gotdablouse
Not sure if this was already posted somewhere else but Jeff gives some insight on what happened with his health in May :

You had to cancel a European tour in June a for an emergency medical procedure on your back. What happened?
It was two things. About a year before, I'd had a back problem and I had to have an MRI scan and I couldn't walk. It was just a lower-back injury from lifting things while working on my hotrods. And then that turned into something where I just couldn't stand up for more than 10 minutes during the last European tour. And I said, "Look, I've got to get this fixed." So I had to get some surgery. They drilled about four holes in the front. After that, the problem kicked in again. I couldn't even get out of bed for about a week after the operation. It just slowed me down generally.

Full article here [www.rollingstone.com] with some insight on how Brian Wilson operates these days...kinda scary!

I just checked the article. Among other nice things, Beck's having interesting thoughts on the sound of the Stones and ZZ Top (the old dog is finally starting to get it..grinning smiley):

[Laughs] It is different. It's interesting to feel how they play onstage. It's so different from anything I've done. The simplicity and the focus on groove. Billy is a groovemeister by himself. He doesn't really need a drummer [laughs].

Frank [Beard, ZZ Top's drummer] plays slightly behind the beat, and that's the key. It's the same way that the Rolling Stones have this side of sloppiness that somehow when it reaches the air and the audience, it becomes one. When precision is there, it somehow loses some of its groove in the air. I don't know what it is. I've actually sought that out in the past few months. They play fairly sloppy. But when it all gets in the air, it somehow tightens itself up somehow.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-03 11:30 by Doxa.

Date: November 3, 2014 11:43

JohnnyBGoode
Listening to Blow By Blow. Anyone ready for the new Eagle Rock release of Live In Tokyo?

[www.youtube.com]

Can't wait!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 3, 2014 13:09

'Live in Tokyo' is gonna be great ,I'm sure.

Jeff and Joss Stone performed in Covent Garden Market on Friday evening but can't find any videos of it. Some pics on Facebook.

Thy are also going to perform the Remembrance Day song at RAH next Saturday.

Found this video of 'When Harry met Jeff and Joss'.

They were just two in a big crowd that day.

Date: November 3, 2014 13:18

Jeff looking his age (except for the british shoe polish hair color) in that photo. The man can still deliver on guitar though!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 3, 2014 21:42

Doxa

Frank [Beard, ZZ Top's drummer] plays slightly behind the beat, and that's the key. It's the same way that the Rolling Stones have this side of sloppiness that somehow when it reaches the air and the audience, it becomes one. When precision is there, it somehow loses some of its groove in the air.

- Doxa

Funny to see Beck talkign about groove : it's a bit like hearing a blind guy talking about colours...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2014 03:14

dcba
Doxa

Frank [Beard, ZZ Top's drummer] plays slightly behind the beat, and that's the key. It's the same way that the Rolling Stones have this side of sloppiness that somehow when it reaches the air and the audience, it becomes one. When precision is there, it somehow loses some of its groove in the air.

- Doxa

Funny to see Beck talkign about groove : it's a bit like hearing a blind guy talking about colours...

That, made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2014 05:22

Saw him in Missoula, Montana on his first date after his medical issues and his playing was fantastic. Such a great technician on that guitar. The medical procedure obviously didn't effect his fingers or his brain.

In my opinion the best guitar player on the planet these days. Wonderful to see someone who just keeps getting better and better and shows no sign of slowing down at 70! Just amazing. peace

Date: November 4, 2014 12:37

Naturalust
Saw him in Missoula, Montana on his first date after his medical issues and his playing was fantastic. Such a great technician on that guitar. The medical procedure obviously didn't effect his fingers or his brain.

In my opinion the best guitar player on the planet these days. Wonderful to see someone who just keeps getting better and better and shows no sign of slowing down at 70! Just amazing. peace

thumbs up

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 25, 2016 21:26

Happy 72nd Jeff Beck! tongue sticking out smiley

Here's some great work he did with Roger Waters in 1992.
[www.youtube.com]

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 25, 2016 21:28

He's got a new album out in July 2016. I hope it's good, but I don't half miss the Tal Wilkenfield / Jason Rebello line up.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:47

And here's a Happy Birthday to the ever-astonishing, innovating and super inventive guitar genius Jeff Beck!! 72 today. I'm listening to Truth and Beck Ola today...but there is SOOOO much more. Happy day Jeff! Still on the road having a rave-up; a true great. I saw him live once and it was beyond magical and hurt so good.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 1, 2016 10:57

There's a new song in the article linked below. Beautiful & different! Still putting out stellar new music.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Happy Birthday and more
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 2, 2016 21:16

"Happy birthday to the original Hoochie Coochie Man, Willie Dixon! Willie wrote this song..."

Rolling Stones with Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man

[twitter.com]

Date: July 16, 2016 07:30

And Happy Birthday Marky Ramone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-25 00:41 by hopkins.

Date: August 3, 2016 20:27

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 3, 2016 23:25

Very nice words from Keith, thanks Christiano...and belated happy birthday to you, too. smiling smiley

Date: August 4, 2016 00:05

Thank you, latebloomer! smiling smiley

Date: August 22, 2016 00:08

Happy 77th to James Burton!

Interview with James Burton
[www.elvis.com.au]

James Burton : First Call For The Royalty Of Rockabilly
[www.elvis.com.au]

Discography : Sort by "year ascending" and wow thumbs up smileys with beer
[www.james-burton.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-22 00:13 by hopkins.

OT: Betty White turned 95 today
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 17, 2017 18:05

The woman's a saint. Happy birthday, Miss B.

Re: OT: Betty White turned 95 today
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 18:06

She's so awesome. Many more to come hopefully.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: January 17, 2017 22:47

Funny, funny lady! Here's to at least 5 more for a solid century! smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 18, 2017 11:52

Super. It's a nice change from announcing yet another death. Cheers to Betty White she's been very entertaining through the years.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home