Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Alt-country
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 22, 2015 01:18

mulecrowe
Naturalust
As someone who was in the middle of that movement I can assure you that it started with bands like Uncle Tupelo around 1990 and doesn't include bands like The Byrds, The Eagles and other country rock outfits, which were clearly an influence. It's like the difference between Chuck Berry and some Stones music. Similar and influenced by, but it's own thing in the end, more diverse influences and amalgamation of styles imo.

Since it is loosely defined and includes similarities to other music it may not be as clear to some. Probably one of the reasons the genre has been somewhat assimilated into the Americana family. But I assure you when it was in it's infancy it was something new and exciting and defined a movement of it's own. As I said it was kind of a midwest American thing, regional, just like grunge was for Seattle when it could be argued that form was just a return to harder 70's rock sensibilities. Grunge was it's own thing too, imo, with broader influences that included punk for instance.

Attempts to combine punk and country had been pioneered by Nashville's Jason and the Scorchers, and in the 1980s Southern Californian cowpunk scene with bands like the Long Ryders,[2] but these styles merged fully in Uncle Tupelo's 1990 LP No Depression, which is widely credited as being the first "alt-country" album, and gave its name to the online notice board and eventually magazine that underpinned the movement.[3][10] They released three more influential albums, signing to a major label, before they broke up in 1994, with members and figures associated with them going on to form three major bands in the genre: Wilco, Son Volt and Bottle Rockets.[3] Bottle Rockets signed, along with acts like Freakwater, the Old 97's and Robbie Fulks, to the Chicago-based indie label, Bloodshot, who pioneered a version of the genre under the name insurgent country.[2][11] The bands Blue Mountain, Whiskeytown, Blood Oranges and Drive-By Truckers further developed this tradition before most began to move more in the direction of rock music in the 2000s.[12]

thumbs up Exactly. You know as well as I do that it was it's own thing there, at least for a while. And a damn good thing!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2015 01:58

kovach
Hairball
An L.A. band from the mid '80's:

Lone Justice

"Their early recordings can be described as a fusion of country and punk rock, with rockabilly elements".

I had tickets to see them once, got cancelled for some unreported reason...then I turn on SNL the night the show was supposed to be and their on there!

They opened a tour for Tom Petty @ 1 point. Quite good.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2015 02:00

Koen
I think altcountry goes back even further with bands like CSNY, Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers, and maybe even the Eagles.

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2015 02:30

crholmstrom
kovach
Hairball
An L.A. band from the mid '80's:

Lone Justice

"Their early recordings can be described as a fusion of country and punk rock, with rockabilly elements".

I had tickets to see them once, got cancelled for some unreported reason...then I turn on SNL the night the show was supposed to be and their on there!

They opened a tour for Tom Petty @ 1 point. Quite good.

I saw them open for somebody in the early '80's in L.A....maybe it was X? Long time ago. cool smiley
Their fist album was pretty good, but they were much better live.

mulecrowe
Attempts to combine punk and country had been pioneered by Nashville's Jason and the Scorchers, and in the 1980s Southern Californian cowpunk scene with bands like the Long Ryders

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-22 02:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 22, 2015 07:05

Naturalust
As someone who was in the middle of that movement I can assure you that it started with bands like Uncle Tupelo around 1990 and doesn't include bands like The Byrds, The Eagles and other country rock outfits, which were clearly an influence. It's like the difference between Chuck Berry and some Stones music. Similar and influenced by, but it's own thing in the end, more diverse influences and amalgamation of styles imo.

Since it is loosely defined and includes similarities to other music it may not be as clear to some. Probably one of the reasons the genre has been somewhat assimilated into the Americana family. But I assure you when it was in it's infancy it was something new and exciting and defined a movement of it's own. As I said it was kind of a midwest American thing, regional, just like grunge was for Seattle when it could be argued that form was just a return to harder 70's rock sensibilities. Grunge was it's own thing too, imo, with broader influences that included punk for instance.

Naturalust,
Sweetheart of the Rodeo is considered to be something like the godfather of alt-country. It's the only Byrds record with Gram Parsons, and many consider it the precursor. Link that to the Flying Burrito Brothers and on ya go....

T@3

Date: November 22, 2015 07:18

TeaAtThree
Naturalust

Naturalust,
Sweetheart of the Rodeo is considered to be something like the godfather of alt-country. It's the only Byrds record with Gram Parsons, and many consider it the precursor. Link that to the Flying Burrito Brothers and on ya go....

T@3

Yeah OK I can accept where you are coming from, but like I said the influence was certainly there but alt. country was different as much of a movement as it was as style, hard for me to separate the two, and as such it started long after Gram (RIP) had moved on. I still put sweetheart of the rodeo in the country-rock category, of which I make a distinction from alt-country. Godfather, precurser no problem. Just don't call the Byrds alt-country, the movement hadn't even started yet!

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 22, 2015 15:58

Check out Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives--- even though they are deep in Country / Gospel, they have always ventured into rockier areas: they do terrific versions of the Who's "I Can See for Miles", Tom Pettys "Running Down a Dream", even some cool Dick Dale / Ventures Surf music --- good stuff !

And don't forget Carlene Carter-- her "Musical Shapes" is a classic alt-country album. Carter backed by then husband Nick Lowe and Rockpile ( Dave Edmunds, Terry Williams and Billy Bremner )

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 22, 2015 16:38

seems like everything was alternative for a while there, it was the hot adjective for sociologists and marketers alike, but yeah those are some good bands.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 22, 2015 21:23

Naturalust
kovach
mulecrowe
At one time,I was a
huge fan of the alt
-country movement of
the 90s.Early Wilco,
Bottlerockets,Jayhawks
and so on.
Never seemed to catch
on.
Any thoughts?

It's alive and well on Outlaw Country Sirius XM Channel 60!

Outlaw Country plays alt. country bands? I would have thought that more of a Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing. I guess they probably just kind of merged alt country bands in with those traditional guys but in my opinion that's a bit of a mockery of the genre. Different things all together. I like some Outlaw Country but If I was wanting to listen to alt country and had a bunch of trad. Outlaw Country come on I think I would be disappointed. Do they play some Stones on there too?

They play a little bit of everything honestly, everything you mentioned plus a lot of Bottle Rockets, Wilco, Son Volt, etc.

There's another channel called Willie's Roadhouse that plays more exclusively the bands you mentioned

Date: November 22, 2015 21:56

Naturalust
Outlaw Country plays alt. country bands? I would have thought that more of a Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing. I guess they probably just kind of merged alt country bands in with those traditional guys but in my opinion that's a bit of a mockery of the genre.

If you're referring to the mockery of "Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing" by mixing in alt. country bands I would agree, but I assume you're referring it the other way around?

Nothing against 'alt country' but they don't hold a candle to the real deal imo, and goes to show that the 'alt country' genre isn't very well defined and never really established itself as a proper genre unto itself.

edit - For what it's worth, Hank Jr. is a mockery unto himself- a watered down/contrived version of the greats. He probably shouldn't be included in any serious discussion regarding Outlaw country, or great country musicians in general imo. Hank III on the other hand is pretty much the real deal, and has followed in the footsteps of his Grandfather with respect and dignity.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-22 22:07 by Hairball.

Date: November 22, 2015 22:19

Hairball
Naturalust
Outlaw Country plays alt. country bands? I would have thought that more of a Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing. I guess they probably just kind of merged alt country bands in with those traditional guys but in my opinion that's a bit of a mockery of the genre.

If you're referring to the mockery of "Willie, Waylon, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, Steve Earl kind of thing" by mixing in alt. country bands I would agree, but I assume you're referring it the other way around?

Nothing against 'alt country' but they don't hold a candle to the real deal imo, and goes to show that the 'alt country' genre isn't very well defined and never really established itself as a proper genre unto itself.

edit - For what it's worth, Hank Jr. is a mockery unto himself- a watered down/contrived version of the greats. He probably shouldn't be included in any serious discussion regarding Outlaw country, or great country musicians in general imo.

Hmmm. I guess since I consider alt-country it's own thing I don't look at it in those terms. The Outlaw country guys are great at what they do but the alt-country guys are coming from a completely different space. Not as limited to the "country" part. More diverse in both influence and output.

My mockery wasn't referring to the bands by such a comparison, just that mixing the Outlaw country and alt-country together it was a mockery of the genre(s). Perhaps we are saying the same thing, both genres were mocked. It's a homogenization that can be easily separated in most cases. They are both their own "real deals".

Date: November 22, 2015 22:45

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust

edit - For what it's worth, Hank Jr. is a mockery unto himself- a watered down/contrived version of the greats. He probably shouldn't be included in any serious discussion regarding Outlaw country, or great country musicians in general imo. Hank III on the other hand is pretty much the real deal, and has followed in the footsteps of his Grandfather with respect and dignity.

Hmmm. I guess since I consider alt-country it's own thing I don't look at it in those terms. The Outlaw country guys are great at what they do but the alt-country guys are coming from a completely different space. Not as limited to the "country" part. More diverse in both influence and output.

My mockery wasn't referring to the bands by such a comparison, just that mixing the Outlaw country and alt-country together it was a mockery of the genre(s). Perhaps we are saying the same thing, both genres were mocked. It's a homogenization that can be easily separated in most cases. They are both their own "real deals".

Yeah I suppose so - both being 'their own real deals' -just a matter of opinion which genre is more real. And with that I think it's a mockery (maybe not the best term) to include alt. country on playlists dedicated to 'Outlaw Country', being that it's kind of spread all over the place - or 'more diverse' as you put it. In that sense I suppose we disagree, but in the sense that they should be separated - definitely agreed.
Since Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, et al. incorporates rock and country, I'd be more inclined to describe it as a sub-genre of Alternative Rock.

Date: November 23, 2015 00:03

Hairball

Yeah I suppose so - both being 'their own real deals' -just a matter of opinion which genre is more real. And with that I think it's a mockery (maybe not the best term) to include alt. country on playlists dedicated to 'Outlaw Country', being that it's kind of spread all over the place - or 'more diverse' as you put it. In that sense I suppose we disagree, but in the sense that they should be separated - definitely agreed.
Since Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, et al. incorporates rock and country, I'd be more inclined to describe it as a sub-genre of Alternative Rock.

Yes perhaps you are right about the Alt-Rock description. These genre descriptions can get a bit tricky and in so many cases the lines of delineation are foggy or almost invisible. But at the time when alt-country was born the rock world was more defined by bands like Nirvana, Alanis Morrisette, the Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam , et al and just recovering from the hair bands so I can see where the "country" part came in actually. More acoustic song based material, filled out by bands with country instruments like pedal steel and mandolin but still able to rock and even punk out at times. I love being confused by music. Screw genres if the songs good the songs good.

Anyway enjoy this alt-country tune. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 23, 2015 00:58

The Jayhawks. One of the greatest bands ever.

Rod

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: November 23, 2015 01:18

[youtu.be]

Green on Red....

Date: November 23, 2015 03:01

Naturalust
Hairball

Yes perhaps you are right about the Alt-Rock description. These genre descriptions can get a bit tricky and in so many cases the lines of delineation are foggy or almost invisible. But at the time when alt-country was born the rock world was more defined by bands like Nirvana, Alanis Morrisette, the Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam , et al and just recovering from the hair bands so I can see where the "country" part came in actually. More acoustic song based material, filled out by bands with country instruments like pedal steel and mandolin but still able to rock and even punk out at times. I love being confused by music. Screw genres if the songs good the songs good.

Anyway enjoy this alt-country tune. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Great tune, but not sure if that really exemplifies the 'alt country' you refer to that separates it from other 'country rock' tunes. Sounds really close to the Flying Burrito Brothers without much 'alt' added to it. I was gonna ask for another example - something with some balls maybe? Then I see RnT posted the great Green on Red tune which definitely has a 'alt country' vibe going on, but that's from '85 - well before Uncle Tupelo, et al. Let the confusion continue... smiling smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 23, 2015 03:37

Hairball
Naturalust

Hank Williams Jr. and Friends is often cited as one of the first and greatest country rock albums of all time.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: November 23, 2015 03:53

Date: November 23, 2015 04:19

kovach
Hairball
Naturalust

Hank Williams Jr. and Friends is often cited as one of the first and greatest country rock albums of all time.

Not a bad album as far as country rock albums go for some people, but he really can't sing very well imo. I was really referring to his status in the more pure genre of Outlaw country, and especially him singing the theme to Monday Night Football, a reworking of his "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Tonight". Just my opinion - he's closer to Garth Brooks than anything genuine.

Interesting to note that Chuck Leavell played on the album you mention.

Another interesting sidenote - the reasoning behind ESPN/Monday Night Football dropping him.> ESPN Permanently Drops Football Pregame Song

Date: November 23, 2015 04:53

Hairball

Great tune, but not sure if that really exemplifies the 'alt country' you refer to that separates it from other 'country rock' tunes. Sounds really close to the Flying Burrito Brothers without much 'alt' added to it. I was gonna ask for another example - something with some balls maybe? Then I see RnT posted the great Green on Red tune which definitely has a 'alt country' vibe going on, but that's from '85 - well before Uncle Tupelo, et al. Let the confusion continue... smiling smiley

Ok Here are a couple of my favorites from Wilco's AM record. More confusion. Casino Queen's got balls, just friggin rocks and with a fiddle! Turn that shit up! smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

And another great tune but a bit more like FBB stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 04:57 by Naturalust.

Posted by: mulecrowe ()
Date: November 24, 2015 00:40

[youtu.be]

Always been a fan of this one.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home