Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on ‘Stripped’
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:16

Waxing a little nostalgia...can't believe this latter day classic is 20 years old!

Read More: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on 'Stripped' | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

I tried copy and pasting the article but wouldn't let me...probably a copyright thang.

Re: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on ‘Stripped’
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:20

not a classic! ... a cop out release to piggy back on all the other artists that actually did a live unplugged is a small venue/quiet setting. imo, the Stones (probably Mick) did not have the guts for an actual hour long unplugged -- but it could have been fantastic!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:22

nothing classic about it. shameless money grab. nirvana's unplugged session... that was classic.

Date: November 20, 2015 03:25

oh dear, didn't think this thread was going to generate anger. eye popping smiley

"I think I bust a vein in my temple, hope I don't fall down. You don't want me to fall down now do ya?!" (cheers and applause)

Date: November 20, 2015 03:26

Turner68
nothing classic about it. shameless money grab. nirvana's unplugged session... that was classic.

Agreed, that is an all time classic!

Date: November 20, 2015 03:31

treaclefingers
oh dear, didn't think this thread was going to generate anger. eye popping smiley

I couldn't wait for this release. I was expecting an acoustic album with some classics, hoping for a few rarities. I was not expecting regular live versions of songs. I was actually pretty angry when it came out. There are definitely some nice moments, Let It Bleed, for one. And when you add some of the other tracks (like Honest I Do, and the likes of Beast of Burden & others from Companion), that makes up for it a bit. But overall they copped out.

Date: November 20, 2015 03:35

LeonidP
treaclefingers

I couldn't wait for this release. I was expecting an acoustic album with some classics, hoping for a few rarities. I was not expecting regular live versions of songs. I was actually pretty angry when it came out. There are definitely some nice moments, Let It Bleed, for one. And when you add some of the other tracks (like Honest I Do, and the likes of Beast of Burden & others from Companion), that makes up for it a bit. But overall they copped out.

I guess it's how you look at it. Could it have been an even better album? Sure.

Would it be better that they just didn't release it at all (ie Dirty Work)? No way, at least IMHO and you're free to disagree.

I didn't have your expectations at the time, so this was a nice little surprise after Voodoo Lounge.

I'd have loved an acoustic version of SFTD to round it out.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:40

the playing is excellent on Stripped

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:46

I like it. I still play it a lot.

Holds up well after 20 years.

Happy birthday.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:54

Loved it when it first came out and still do! LARS, Dead Flowers, Let It Bleed, Shine A Light, etc. I wish they would have made it a double with all the other songs from the Stripped Companion bootleg. My favorite version of Let's Spend The Night is on there!

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 05:12

Is this really unplugged or even "stripped" (with all the backing musicians)??? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I have to go back and listen to it again. I haven't done this for years, which probably means it's NOT a classic, not even close to being a classic.

I remember being confused when I first listened to it. Was this meant to be a live album? Like A Rolling Stone... Really???

I remember really digging Street Fighting Man, Not Fade Away and Slipping Away, which I dearly love.

I got all the CD singles, which had some really great tunes that didn't make the album. And the Hope Floats soundtrack.

I am not sure what they were thinking when they released Wild Horses as a single. It just doesn't sound that different from the original. And I didn't like the production... Again, overblown, overdone, crystal clear... Obviously, it's Don Was again... The cat's cool, and he seems like a nice guy, but he just doesn't get it. One thing for sure: Dylan will NEVER work with him again.

Does anyone have It's All Over Now, which was a download-only track at the time? I haven't heard that official release of it...

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 20, 2015 05:16

PERKS F...IN LOVES IT ! THEN & NOW.

Date: November 20, 2015 05:22

BILLPERKS
PERKS F...IN LOVES IT ! THEN & NOW.

odd in that Bill Perks didn't actually play on the album!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 20, 2015 07:06

Nothing wrong with a bit of acoustic music, they should have taken it even further down that road, imo. Nothing wrong with the Nirvana and STP and AIC unplugged that produced some excellent and classic music. I guess the Stones were too cool to follow in the footsteps of those great ideas so blatantly so they did something a bit differently.

I loved it, no complains really but I would have preferred a video of a single acoustic performance. Perhaps that's what they were trying for with the Paradiso shows, which turned out great, imo. Wish they would release a DVD of that.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 20, 2015 09:48

Wow, 20 years, I can't believe it, I remember it like it was yesterday. I love Stripped - I love all the singles and b-sides especially.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:35

Dig it all but wonderful version of da Wild Horses ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:49

And the great(est) version of Gimme Shelter from Paradiso, Amsterdam. Not only because I was there!!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:17

A beautiful album and a great documentary

Date: November 20, 2015 11:26

How anyone can be unhappy with this is unfathomable to me.

Best version ever (apart from the studio version):

[www.youtube.com]

A fantastic single, making the song their own:

[www.youtube.com]

So beautiful:

[www.youtube.com]

Best version ever (apart from the studio version)

[www.youtube.com]

The only disappointments on Stripped, imo, are Dead Flowers, Let It Bleed and Angie.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:29

Stripped is (combined with the Companion) a very good album, some people seem to overate that band whose frontman was married to Courtney Love.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:29

I liked it at the time, but I haven't listened to it ever since. I probably wouldn't mind listening to it again, but I also don't feel any need to try. That says it all, really. I even prefer to listen to not-so-good albums like Emotional Rescue or Undercover than Stripped. I think the main problem is that it lacks excitement. I like the "Slipping Away" version on it.

Date: November 20, 2015 11:35

"Shine a light" is great on Stripped, I agree. That was the highlight for me. For the rest, I wish they had stripped it down further or not at all. "Street Fightinh Man" would be a good example where I feel the arrangement suffered from not being "stripped" enough.

Mick and Keith doing prodigal son in 69 - that was the stones stripped down!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:40

treaclefingers
Waxing a little nostalgia...can't believe this latter day classic is 20 years old!

Read More: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Unplug on 'Stripped' | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

I tried copy and pasting the article but wouldn't let me...probably a copyright thang.

I completely agree - a 'latter day classic'.

Best release in the '90s, undoubtably for me.

Date: November 20, 2015 11:41

Turner68
"Shine a light" is great on Stripped, I agree. That was the highlight for me. For the rest, I wish they had stripped it down further or not at all. "Street Fightinh Man" would be a good example where I feel the arrangement suffered from not being "stripped" enough.

How could they have stripped down SFM more? Darryl on acoustic bass? Charlie on the toy kit? winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:52

"Stripped" along with the single-releases is a marvelous collection of great music. Superb playing and singing. Some of these re-takes are simply breathtaking. Unfortunately the promised CD-ROM-part with the videos never ever worked on any computer.

The album is wonderful and I am completely satisfied with everything I hear on it. Maybe it should have been a twofer, one disc containing studio-material and one disc containing live-material played on acoustic instruments.

Ah, and dont forget Little Baby. I love it.

Date: November 20, 2015 11:54

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

How could they have stripped down SFM more? Darryl on acoustic bass? Charlie on the toy kit? winking smiley

They could have gone with just Keith and Mick. As it stands to me it is just "street fighting man lite" not a reinterpretation of the song and as a result I would have preferred they just plugged in turned the guitars up and let loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 11:56 by Turner68.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:59

'Street Fighting Man' from Stripped is absolutely brilliant, I never tire of hearing of watching it. Such a wonderful version.

Stripped on my ipod is 25-tracks; the original album plus the great bootleg 'Stripped Companion'. The Companion is essential methinks, 'Let's Spend the Night Together' for instance is a cracking version. 'Black Limousine' and 'All Down the Line' are worth the purchase price alone.

I loved it on release, and still do. The segments of the band, shot atmospherically in black and white, playing 'Wild Horses', 'Spider and the Fly' (what a good choice that was, out of nowhere this obscurity), 'Love in Vain' - they sound and played very well. The acoustic versions I honestly think hold their own against the studio versions.

Not everything was gold, Wood's solo during 'Shine a light' was a horror worse than Halloween III (and that was pretty horrific film making). 'Little Baby' was so-so, and tracks like 'Angie' and 'Let it Bleed' are decent. But overall, the album was a big success, and when you think about it, an acoustic album from a veteran band selling over 3 million copies, the band really were back as a commercial force; Lounge had sold in big numbers also.

I remember at the time everyone seemed to know the band were back, the songs from the album (particularly LARS) were everywhere in the bars and clubs here; a good time to be a fan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:08

'Little Baby' was so-so

YEAH but it 's got that Classic Willie Dixon line
that cranks me out everytime.......... You go and I'll come with you little baby

ROCKMAN

Date: November 20, 2015 12:14

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

They could have gone with just Keith and Mick. As it stands to me it is just "street fighting man lite" not a reinterpretation of the song and as a result I would have preferred they just plugged in turned the guitars up and let loose.

IMO, the acoustic treatment made it more powerful than other live versions.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 20, 2015 13:30

I am still delighted very much when I play this album.
And like always with this band, each listener has his own highlights. To me Let it bleed
is the song that gets by bottom shaking in a very fine fashion (though my daughters
have different opinions about the use of the word "fine" here).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home