Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Revisiting Primitive Cool
Date: November 20, 2015 15:23

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
Peace For The Wicked, one of the better songs on Primitive Cool could have been a Stones song.

This is from www.nzentgraf.de:

860112A 12th January: MICK JAGGER. New York City, RW’s homestudio. - Peace For The Wicked I (MJ) -demo, under title ‘Soul City’; unverified Musicians: MJ (voc, gtr)/RW (dr).

A Dirty Work outtake! smiling smiley

No, Dirty Work was already finished to be released. Harlem Shuffle came out febr. 26.

I'm only joking smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 20, 2015 15:33

You kidding? This is science! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-20 15:33 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 20, 2015 16:34

Rocky Dijon
What I always come back to is to remember the following:

When Keith goes solo, I measure him against his lead vocals with the Stones only. I never expect another "Start Me Up" or "Brown Sugar" to come out of him. I look for another "Little T & A" or "Happy" or "Before They Make Me Run" at best and expect another "Too Rude" and one or two "Sleep Tonight" clones.

When Mick goes solo, I measure him against the Stones past and present. He has the impossible task. It's far easier for Keith to be Keith because he'll always be the cult figure whose day job is as a guitarist/musical director. The front man, the greatest front man in the world, has an impossible task to measure up to when he ventures on his own. The fact that there's even a handful of Mick solo songs I love (and an album - WANDERIG SPIRIT) that measure up against the best of the Stones from the same era is a small miracle.

It wasn't until I was a bit older that the thought occurred to me that Mick going solo should've meant songs along the lines of Fingerprint File, Sweet Virginia, Miss You and Can You Hear The Music/If You Really Want To Be My Friend.

He indeed did some country but only on WANDERING SPIRIT. He did a bit of Can You Hear The Music/If You Really Want To Be My Friend with Out Of Focus on WANDERING SPIRIT.

The closest he got to Fingerprint File would be Lucky In Love, Kow Tow and Peace For The Wicked I... guess.

I really liked Ruthless People and, strangely, God Gave Me Everything - they're very similar in some ways.

But Mick solo is so little hits, so many misses. It's almost like a closing down of what he's done with the Stones where with Keith it's an opening up.

Date: November 20, 2015 17:26

That remixes of Throwaway was pretty cool... for a teenager it was, anyway. A bit silly with that drilling gun shooting thing on the Vocal Dub remix but otherwise it's interesting.

Throwaway (Remix)
[www.youtube.com]

Throwaway (Vocal Dub)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 20, 2015 17:39

The sentimentality that Mick exudes in Say You Will is astounding (the video is horrible though). Just listening to the remix out of curiosity to see (hear) if it was as bad as I recall and, although it is because of that silly keyboard, it's, overall, pretty good except at the very end. Musically it's interesting with the changes, which are subtle. The Spanish guitar runs are a nice touch. But it's still kind of an oddball song.

Lyrically it's bizarre seeing that it's Mick.

Chasing those greenfields
That lie just over the hill
Isn't it time that I rested
Time to stand still

I need a lover surely as I need a friend
Someone whose laughter I'll lean on
To tie our lives together

He HAD that! With Jerry! He, ahhhh haaaaa, threw it away!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: November 20, 2015 22:50

EddieByword
treaclefingers
The absolute low point in the career of the stones collectively.

There are a couple of ok tracks, but war baby, (even the title, so stoopid), kow tow (seriously?), and the low point, mick's ode to Thatcherite England, let's work, complete with workout video.

It's a wonder he can still look himself in the mirror.

I think 'War baby' refers to an English expression - kids that were born in the UK during World War II......ie, Mick & keith - 1943 - are War babies.

I can't really shout much for Let's work.....but I always thought that was an attempt at a sequel (of sorts) to the Live aid (anti poverty song) "Dancing in the street" which he did with David Bowie, which got to No.1 over here for a few weeks here.........ie. Let's work and kill poverty...................it's quite high energy though which I always like about Mick's stuff...

Also, it looks like he does still rate it as he personally picked it to go on the 2007 greatest Mick hits...........

Generous review in the extreme Rocky imo

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:05

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
Peace For The Wicked, one of the better songs on Primitive Cool could have been a Stones song.

This is from www.nzentgraf.de:

860112A 12th January: MICK JAGGER. New York City, RW’s homestudio. - Peace For The Wicked I (MJ) -demo, under title ‘Soul City’; unverified Musicians: MJ (voc, gtr)/RW (dr).

A Dirty Work outtake! smiling smiley

No, Dirty Work was already finished to be released. Harlem Shuffle came out febr. 26.

I'm only joking smiling smiley

Let's call it Primitive Work then???

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:13

An album I sometimes listen to. There are some fine songs on it. I agree with Rocky Dijon's list on this album. Throwaway, Say You Will, Shoot off your Mouth, Kow Tow are okay songs to my ears. Peace for the wicked never did it for me. Let's work is horrible indeed, to forced to try to make a political statement and to make a 'hip' song at the same time. party Doll is a schmaltzy song but I like it, when I'm in the right sentimental mood. The 80's production hasn't dated well IMO.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 20, 2015 23:26

I am not brave enough to revisit Primitive Cool . Congratulations to those who have been so courageous . Hats off!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: FOGGY ()
Date: November 21, 2015 01:12

There are some fine songs on the album and imo PC is not as bad as some people here would have you believe...Mick was trying to sound relevant at the time..1987... so the production will sound dated.....Same for "Steel Wheels" two years later...

Around 6 months before this album was released Bill Wyman stated that the Stones were over and at the time it seemed he was right....this was Mick's final attempt at securing a solo career...a better title may have been,"Last Chance Saloon"...

Can anyone forget seeing Mick promoting, "Let's Work", on TOTP ??!!....
Did the b-side of LW, "Catch As Catch Can", ever make it onto CD ?
Memo from Foggy...The case for the deluxe version of, "Primitive Cool", begins here !! hot smiley

Date: November 21, 2015 01:44

I can't hear poodle rock guitar sound on SW.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 21, 2015 06:38

Time spent on Primitive Cool is time left on this Earth that I can't get back.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 21, 2015 12:10

ab
Time spent on Primitive Cool is time left on this Earth that I can't get back.

Well said thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 21, 2015 14:54

DandelionPowderman
...An acoustic Party Doll, with some dynamic acoustic playing would have made a nice Stones tune, imo.

He made an attempt:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 21, 2015 15:34

I never understood the criticism to this album, I always think that is a very good album, the only song is bad Let's work, but the rest of the album is great.

Date: November 21, 2015 15:47

Testify
I never understood the criticism to this album, I always think that is a very good album, the only song is bad Let's work, but the rest of the album is great.

eye popping smiley

Date: November 21, 2015 16:52

Testify

It isn't. That's the problem. Radio Control blows. War Baby and the title track blow. Party Doll blows. It should've been an EP of Throwaway, Say You Will, Kow Tow and Peace For The Wicked.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:02

Let's work and War baby are crap - the rest seems pretty good to me.

Date: November 21, 2015 17:16

There's something in Radio Control that is just awful aside from the singing that seems to want way more guitar in it but just sounds like some kind of grunt screaming and, of course, the awful keyboard. There's this thing that the music does that's annoying. The upbending of the guitar is constant. It's really bad 80s style rock music. Even Def Leppard didn't upbend that much.

Jeff Beck. Terrible.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:16

I'm a Stones fan Since 1964/65 and I also have every Solo Album from
Keith,Ron,Bill and Mick.
None of the solo Albums I have played so often like Primitive Cool.
It,s one of my all times favorite CDs.
(Keith Say It's Not you with George Jones comes very close)
Ok the cover is horible but the stones habe a lot more cover who are realy realy bad.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:35

I like Throwaway, Say you will, Kow tow and party doll a lot. I think a cool thought experiement would be what would happen if Mick were redoing it again himself or with the boys again.

As long as we don't mention Mick doing Let's work on BBC's Top of the pops, I'm good ;-)

Date: November 21, 2015 21:31

What a load!

Primitive Cool marks a rather surprising transfiguration — perhaps the most sweeping work of artistic self-redefinition by a major pop figure since Bob Dylan turned homey on Nashville Skyline or at least since Lou Reed revealed his lovey-dovey side on The Blue Mask.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: November 21, 2015 21:34

An even bigger load...

and the Exile-style "Shoot Off Your Mouth,"...

There is NOTHING about that song that is EXILE-style.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 21, 2015 21:40

I remember that review. It prompted my roommate in college, who didn't even like the stones, to go out and buy it. He played it twice. We both hated it. I think he canceled his subscription to rolling stone he was so peeved. 30 years later He likes the stones, but neither one of us like primitive cool.

Date: November 21, 2015 21:44

I liked what someone said, it may've been Keith, that the only way Mick could've pulled something like Dylan would've been by doing an album of Irish ballads.

Something like that.

Date: November 21, 2015 21:59

GasLightStreet
What a load!

Primitive Cool marks a rather surprising transfiguration — perhaps the most sweeping work of artistic self-redefinition by a major pop figure since Bob Dylan turned homey on Nashville Skyline or at least since Lou Reed revealed his lovey-dovey side on The Blue Mask.

[www.rollingstone.com]

OMG eye popping smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 21, 2015 22:24

Micks problem is he loves to surround himself with yes men. When he didn't, he created Wandering Spirit, his best work, but wont work with Rubin again.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2015 01:34

GasLightStreet
An even bigger load...

and the Exile-style "Shoot Off Your Mouth,"...

There is NOTHING about that song that is EXILE-style.

Not true...the word mouth in the title reminds me of the Exile cover, the guy with the balls in his mouth.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 22, 2015 02:44

BILLPERKS
Micks problem is he loves to surround himself with yes men. When he didn't, he created Wandering Spirit, his best work, but wont work with Rubin again.

How do you explain mick surrounding himself with Keith for 50 odd years?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 22, 2015 06:01

They DONT create together & haven't for 30 plus years. If Mick had been successful as a solo artist he would've never worked with Keith again.But his solo efforts rendered him irrelevant without the STONES.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home