Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones songs and churces.
Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:48

being a Stones fan AND a regular church goer, do you know of Stones songs being played live in churces ?

Re: Stones songs and churces.
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: November 15, 2015 23:03

You can get at least one CD of Stones songs that have had their lyrics changed to a religious theme. I recall that "start me up" became "lift Him up".

I know that doesn't answer your question but thought it was worth a mention.

Perhaps you could get the congregation to have a bash at Prodigal Son.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 23:08

No. But, I've heard messages that bring out some lyrics. One, a few years ago, was that you can't always get what you want, but you get what you need. Another, actually today, used the point that time is on my side, and credited the Stones. And, many messages lately from different sources saying people are talking doom and gloom, but that is not what we should be focusing on--just like the song says.

Many artists actually have a prophetic voice. It's just a matter of which frequency they are tuned into when they are writing: the higher power, or the lower power, in the results they achieve. The Stones obviously tune into both frequencies.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 15, 2015 23:11

i believe there is a scene in the movie 'the big chill' where there is a church service in memory of a friend who died, and the organist begins playing "you can't always get what you want", or perhaps it's a choir that starts singing it.

Date: November 15, 2015 23:21

sorry, should have been "churches" isnt it?

Date: November 15, 2015 23:43

ég biðst afsökunnar.

Re: Stones songs and churches.
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 16, 2015 00:17

sorry, should have been "churches" isnt it?

Yep - and you can go back to your first post and change it thumbs up

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 02:28

Stones stuff is definitely never played at my church. However, I noticed that one of the old hymns (I think it was "That Old Rugged Cross" ) has the same chords as Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill. I just thought it was interesting seeing how gospel music played a role in the early Rock n Roll songs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 02:29 by stones2000.

Date: November 16, 2015 03:00

Supposedly, there are lots of accusations of people, including the Stones, copying other music and making it their own. Maybe sometimes it's unconscious, and maybe sometimes it's desperation for a song, along with lack of inspiration. I don't know...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:11

From stones2000: "I just thought it was interesting seeing how gospel music played a role in the early Rock n Roll songs".

This is what led many in the black church community to condemn folks such as Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, who took gospel music and turned it into secular music celebrating not heaven, but the pleasures of earthly life. All I can say is thank the Lawd for Charles and Cooke doing that, along with many others.

I am wondering what Stones songs could be used in religious settings without too much modification. YCAGWYW is one. Would Salt of the Earth be another, along with, as noted already, Prodigal Son? I could also see I Just Want to See His Face, Heaven, Waiting On A Friend as possibles. Doesn't seem to be many others that would be adaptable unless Stray Cat Blues can be turned into a story of girls gone wrong.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:41

As youngster a long long time ago I put forward to some friends to play Gimme Shelter at my funeral confused smiley ...... getting older I leave it to my relatives

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 03:47

NICOS
As youngster a long long time ago I put forward to some friends to play Gimme Shelter at my funeral confused smiley ...... getting older I leave it to my relatives

Gimme Shelter at a funeral...cool idea! Personally I want "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" by Monty Python played at mine. For life is quite absurd, and death's the final word...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 03:48 by stones2000.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 16, 2015 10:35

I know for a fact that the local choir performs gospel renditions of all major Rolling Stones warhorses in the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California - on a weekly basis.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:24

I once suggested to a German Pastor who is my friend that he should preach about 'Time waits for no one'. You could certainly base a great sermon on that song even if it is not a Christian one.

Other songs like 'Prodigal son' or 'You gotta move' are indeed Gospel songs. You could also preach about "Shine a light' which has an intense religious feel.

No wonder Keith wrote in 'Life' that he looks for inspiration in the Bible. And isn't it astonishing taht such a bone-hard rocker married a woman from a strictly religious family?

Date: November 16, 2015 11:32

«Building dream churches with silver spires»

Rock And A Hard Place

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 16, 2015 11:47

DandelionPowderman
«Building dream churches with silver spires»

Rock And A Hard Place

thumbs up

Posted by: Mick2014 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 13:18

on our wedding 20 years ago, our choir sing Lady Jane and Angie. They know i am a Stones fan and i like it.
It was a great surprise for me.

The song Lady Jane isn't holy and the words in the song is normal not able for the church.
I live in Germany.

Stones forever

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 16, 2015 14:42

Mick sang Just Like A Woman at the service for L'Wren.

For me, the most obvious Stones song to have played in a church service, not a funeral, would be Shine A Light. With its gospel organ the song exudes a glorious feeling of exultation.

Date: November 16, 2015 17:41

Creepy... I was listening to Meat Loaf's 'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' when I clicked this link, and no sooner did I read NICOS's post about 'Gimme Shelter' being played at his funeral did 'Saint Of Me' come on my iPod...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 16, 2015 17:44

youtube

Not really the Stones version of The Last Time, but apparently it fits in this church.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 16, 2015 17:52

Turner68
i believe there is a scene in the movie 'the big chill' where there is a church service in memory of a friend who died, and the organist begins playing "you can't always get what you want", or perhaps it's a choir that starts singing it.

That was the great opening scene!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 16, 2015 18:39

At our church Christmas Party a few years ago our band performed You Gotta Move. I played blues harp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-16 18:45 by DaveG.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 16, 2015 18:45

Sympathy for the Devil and Dancing with Mr D are probably not contenders right?hot smiley

Date: November 16, 2015 23:35

Roll73
Sympathy for the Devil and Dancing with Mr D are probably not contenders right?hot smiley

Hmmm... Not too sure, better ask the Pope. winking smiley

Date: November 17, 2015 17:44

"You cant always get what you want" has always sounded religious to me.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 17, 2015 19:11

Harlem Shuffler
You can get at least one CD of Stones songs that have had their lyrics changed to a religious theme. I recall that "start me up" became "lift Him up".
You make a dead man rise.

Date: November 18, 2015 04:41

Boognish
Harlem Shuffler
You make a dead man rise.

LOL!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2015 09:37

My wife attends a hand-clapping, all singing and dancing church. The guitarist was playing a Gibson SG when I tagged-along one time. I don't see the Stones' music fitting-in culturally with the gospel and African vibe. Shame really, but that's how it is. Still, the music is mostly joyous and a damn-sight more jolly than what you would hear at any Church of England service. Bloody hell; Zzzz!

Date: November 18, 2015 10:54

Big Al
My wife attends a hand-clapping, all singing and dancing church. The guitarist was playing a Gibson SG when I tagged-along one time. I don't see the Stones' music fitting-in culturally with the gospel and African vibe. Shame really, but that's how it is. Still, the music is mostly joyous and a damn-sight more jolly than what you would hear at any Church of England service. Bloody hell; Zzzz!

I think both You Can('t) Always Get What You Want and (Let's DrThink ToOf the Salt Of The Earth could have made a good fit musically in that setting, don't you think? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-18 10:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:39

You can't Always get...and Wild Horses would be my two first choices for singing Stones in Churches...

Maybe then 'Rocks Off' for the Great Final...winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home