Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: ELO fans, Jeff Lynne has finally announced a tour!
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:08

Hey! Wow, what a terrible job I did! Made the initial post then completely disappeared and abandoned it. My apologies.

Unfortunately I was not able to get tickets to the New York show last week, which occurred last night. Cool set, although as expected, nothing I felt I HAD to see, a lot of new songs, and a rather short show at 80 minutes. Would have loved to be there and I'm sure it was great, but all those factors, in addition to standing in a small venue for hours which I hate, was not how I wanted to see ELO. I really hope they come back and play theaters or arenas, cause it truly is a dream of mine to see them.

Cool to see so many fans here! I certainly hope the European tour goes well for Jeff.

NICOS
Didn't John Lennon said when they ask him....how would the Beatles sounded if they were still together.....probably like ELO
Yes, yes he did.

The Sicilian
What is the band lineup? How many original members?

Wondering if Bev Bevan or Roy Wood and Hugh McDowell make an appearance.
Only Richard Tandy, longtime keyboardist. Everyone else is interchangeable, which is sad but unsurprising. The band was always Jeff anyway. For the record, Roy Wood was only on the first two albums. Though he and Jeff are still friends, it is unlikely he'd ever play in ELO. Bev Bevan is persona non grata for those two, as he started continuations of ELO and The Move, much to Lynne and Wood's chagrin. They've sued him multiple times and I doubt they ever play with him again. Hugh I have no idea, but it seems all ELO former members are never to return sadly.

Date: November 21, 2015 17:13

LeonidP
NICOS
Didn't they played "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" one of my favorite confused smiley

Love it! Probably won't go see them, but I might. It's probably my favorite ELO track as well, though they have many great ones. BTW, the Velvet Revolver cover of this one is great!
Definitely agree. Eldorado is one of my favorite albums of all time. Another reason I didn't go. They don't play that stuff. Laredo Tornado, Illusions In G Minor. Thats ELO that was singular and unique. I get why he plays the hits, and those are great too, but the stuff that really made ELO special is far from being played. Can't Get It Out Of My Head is the only song he does usually always play from those early years. The 10538 Overture doesn't even get played anymore sadly. They did 15 years ago when he was gonna tour, so that makes it even worse.

Also, you are definitely right. A weird cover choice for Velvet Revolver, but they really do a great job with it, especially Slash's soloing.

Hope everyone that was at the New York show last night enjoyed it! Feel free to let us know your experience!

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: November 21, 2015 17:27

Great that he's doing stuff. I'm too mad still at the way he completely messed up Bryan Adams latest album, talk about being completely and utterly locked into one thing/sound only. I like his sound sure, but destroying other artists because that's the one thing only you can do, nah, just can't do it unfortunately

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2015 02:01

Word is last night's show @ Irving Plaza was excellent.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2015 05:16

Saw him do a cut off the new album on Fallon this week and it wasn't too bad.

I was wondering why he's touring as Jeff Lynne's ELO...sounds 'legal'.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:19

treaclefingers

Wasn't there more than 1 ELO touring awhile back (none with Jeff)? Coming soon to a fine Native American entainment complex near you!smoking smiley

Date: November 22, 2015 17:20

crholmstrom
treaclefingers

Wasn't there more than 1 ELO touring awhile back (none with Jeff)? Coming soon to a fine Native American entainment complex near you!smoking smiley

There was. When Jeff disolved the band in the 80s, drummer Bev Bevan continued it calling it ELO II, then The Orchestra after Jeff sued him. Neither of which included Jeff or were approved by him. I think he simply calls it "Jeff Lynne's ELO" cause its accurate. Yes, it does nullify the others as it points out his presence, but he is simply the only one left in the band and its his thing. Calling it ELO on the cancelled Zoom tour really didn't do much, as everyone thats following knows its just Jeff and Richard. Don't think its a "legal" thing, although it does sound that way, I think its more just cause of who is in the band these days.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 22, 2015 22:55

A concert from Electric Light Orchestra with Jeff Lynne is a dream come true for me. So I hope, I can manage to see them.

Hope for more new dates and 1 date around my area, that would be fanastic.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 24, 2015 01:42

Tune in to Jimmy Kimmel tonight.
Headed down there soon for a freebie- ticket says a mini four song set, but probably only one will be aired.
Thanks again to Dan for the heads up...hooray for Hollyweird!

Nice review of New York show via Rolling Stone: Livin' Thing: Jeff Lynne's ELO Triumph

Edit: Outdoor mini-concert was fun, fun, fun, sound was incredible, and the band was close to perfection.
Customized ELO stage setup in the small back parking lot behind El Capitan theater next to where Kimmel's show tapes with several hundred people max.

When I Was a Boy
Evil Woman
All Over The World
Evil Woman -take 2
Evil Woman - take 3
Mr. Blue Sky

Hoping it airs tonight, was thinking that was a given, but someone mentioned taping could be for a later date.
Can't find any show listing info. so for now I'm unsure, but will find out soon enough I suppose in about 2 hours from now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 07:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 24, 2015 07:53

Will Richard Tandy be tagging along to play keyboards?

Date: November 24, 2015 08:08

nightskyman
Richard Tandy is always tagging along to play keyboards. Needn't you worry.

As for Kimmel, looks like a fun little set. Although I've been thinking it since the Hyde Park concert last year: how the f*ck did All Over The World wrangle its way into the set and stay?! I guess its fine, but in terms of the whole catalogue of ELO songs its really not that great. Nonetheless, to be opening the shows and being played at promo appearances. I'm an ELO fan and I only barely knew the song last year! Seems like the oddest inclusion to me, when so many classics are missing from the set.

Twilight, Tightrope, Ma-Ma-Ma Belle, Shine A Little Love. The god damn 10538 fricken Overture?!! Not to mention I'm always happy with a little Do Ya. How All Over The World has managed to score that primo spot I will never know.

Date: November 24, 2015 08:12

nightskyman

Yes he was there tonight - loud and clear!thumbs up

RollingFreak
Although I've been thinking it since the Hyde Park concert last year: how the f*ck did All Over The World wrangle its way into the set and stay?

Haha - yeah a bit cheesy of a tune, I was vaguely familiar with it truth be told.
Has sort of a Beach Boys or Frankie Vallie/Grease vibe to it, seemed to make a bunch of people bouncy and happy.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 08:19 by Hairball.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 25, 2015 13:47

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Jeff Lynne's ELO
The Fonda Theatre,
Hollywood, CA
November 24, 2015

Source info:
AT853 sub-cards(3-wire)>Naiant Tinybox>Sony PCM-M10(24/96)>Adobe Audition CS6(normalize, tracking)>Ozone 7(mastering, resample, dither)>TLH>Flac

Taper: David Sell
Sound Quality: Excellent

Setlist:

01. All Over the World
02. Evil Woman
03. Showdown
04. Turn to Stone
05. When I Was a Boy
06. Living Things
07. One Step at a Time
08. Strange Magic
09. Don't Bring Me Down
10. Steppin Out
11. Sweet Talkin' Woman
12. Can't Get it Out of My Head
13. When the Night Comes
14. Ain't it a Drag
15. Rock N Roll is King
16. Telephone Line
17. Mr. Blue Sky
18. ~encore applause~
19. Roll Over Beethoven

79:08

First, so lucky to get a pair of these tickets when they went on-line. I had been hoping for a local show since I began to hear rumors about this tour last year. Then after hearing the Grammy show and a recent FM broadcast I got very excited!!! I had a very decent crowd around me considering I was on the GA floor smack dab in the middle of a very enthusiastic audience. There's a couple of woowoos(guys) behind me and a distant whistler here and there(all between songs), but nothing to distract from this tremendous sounding show! You will hear me tell this guy in front of me to stop clapping during songs(he argues, but complies). Later he looked over as I checked my levels, smiled and gave me a "thumbs up". Turns out he's an old cassette taper from the 1970's. The only editing done is to hard limit a few loud claps and knock down the volume of the woowoo guys behind me. Y'all are gonna love this!

Very cool to see Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh and Steve Lukather in the balcony enjoying this amazing show!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 25, 2015 14:04

Now that I'm back in U.K. I have managed to see the whole of the ELO gig at the BBC Radio Theatre and it looks and sounds great. smileys with beer

ELO at the BBC

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 25, 2015 18:31

No Do Ya or Fire On High?....

.....I'm out

Date: November 25, 2015 19:51

Excellent show - as a 'casual fan', it was above what I expected. Although I knew it would be good after the Kimmel taping experience, seeing an entire show was fantastic!
Arrived at the Fonda at 4:30 and we had a sweet spot in line - chatted with several others who were also at the Kimmel taping. Doors opened at 6:30, and we made a beeline to nearly front center. We saw Joe Walsh and Don Was in the balcony (evidently Tom Petty was there also?), and were looking for more A-listers when I thought I saw Dhani Harrison, kind of spoke out loud to myself 'there's Dhani', and everyone around me said "where"!!! Then when Ringo entered there was a massive eruption of cheers from the floor in which he then acknowledged us all. In the same room as Ringo - "peace and love" haha. Then the show began, and I'll admit I was a bit teary eyed during several tunes...memories literally flooded. Livin' Thing, Strange Magic, Sweet Talkin' Woman, Can't Get It Out Of My Head - holy smokes it was heavenly. I've been a 'fan' since I was a kid in the 70's hearing all of that stuff on the radio and listening to my sisters albums on occasion back then (I still listen to a greatest hits cd), but had never seen them - turned out to be one of the better shows I've seen in all of my concert going days. For those in the UK, you are in for a massive treat! In the meantime, I'll be reliving the memories and hoping for a return of ELO to the US for an extended tour in which I'll happily see another show in the Southern California area!

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: November 25, 2015 20:31

After wading through a lot of BS and frustration with the secondary market I scored a ticket to the Fonda Theatre. Over face value, but at that point I decided just to accept my karma.
It was a great show, but as others have said I wish they had played longer than 80 minutes. Jeff seems fit and healthy, so if stamina isn't an issue I think they could have added at least a few more songs. I'm hoping that the set list is expanded for the arena tour next year.
The new songs were great and fit right in. The band was outstanding and I was surprised he didn't introduce the musicians.

Anyway, a splendid time was had by all!

I love the music of the 70's (except for disco) and this was kind of a time trip back to high school. Actually, high school and teenage years in general sucked but the soundtrack was good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 20:34 by likecats.

Date: November 25, 2015 23:24

My guess is its not over 80 minutes because they were only doing 2 shows. Why need to rehearse that much more? They're doing the minimum, which isn't a diss, but just kind of the fact. Its the same as what they did for Hyde Park. I think they'll do more on the regular European tour.

Would love to right more but swamped in Thanksgiving planning at the moment. Nice to see the thread going strong, and I agree it wouldn't kill him to add some more songs. In fact, the reason I'm not so upset I missed it was cause I love songs like Twilight, Tightrope, Ma Ma Ma Belle, 10538 Overture and others that he isn't playing, yet he is playing the new stuff (which was expected but I don't care about). So if it was a better set I would probably have fought more to go. The set they did 15 years ago on the ELO Live DVD was perfect.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:30

I'm still giddy at the fact of seeing this in such a small venue (capacity 1200) as I gather up reviews and other info today. A rare and special occasion indeed...

A couple of Twitter comments:

Steve Lukather ?@stevelukather.
Jeff Lynne's ELO in LA last night. INCREDIBLE!!
World class band, sound and SONGS! Jeff was ON + what a hang !

Eric Idle ?@ericidle
Fabulous Jeff Lynne concert @jefflynneselo tonight at The Henry Fonda. Jeff was on great form, the band brilliant & O2 in April almost gone

And evidently Jackson Browne and Herbie Hancock were also there.

Live Review: Jeff Lynne’s ELO at Los Angeles’ Fonda Theatre (11/24)
The guy's voice, charisma, and attention to detail haven't faded at all over the decades
by Philip Cosores on November 25, 2015, 12:01pm

ELO

Thumbs up. That’s all Jeff Lynne needed to do after he finished each song in his faithful run through a 90-minute parade of hits and new songs, always met with roaring applause. Lynne would grin big and stick out his thumbs, as much of a question as an exclamation, believing that the songs sounded good but looking to make sure the audience agreed. They did.

It has been some 30 years since Electric Light Orchestra performed proper concerts in the United States. The train of events leading to this moment include a live return at London’s Hyde Park last year, a Beyonce-approved slot at this year’s Grammys, and their return to a Stateside ticketed performance last week at New York’s Irving Plaza. As this was only their second of two announced US concerts in support of the first ELO music in 15 years, Alone in the Universe, some jitters were to be expected.

But there were hardly any jitters at all. Jeff Lynne and his dozen players (billed as Jeff Lynne’s ELO and including both a trio of keyboards and a trio of string players) were tighter and more faithful to Lynne’s complex arrangements than most bands are after years of consistent touring. In a word, it sounded perfect, which for fans of the band made the experience worth the wait.

The show had no opening act, no merch, started promptly on time, and was strictly ticketed to avoid scalping situations. The entire balcony and wings were reserved for VIPs, including an assortment of music greats like Ringo Starr, Joe Walsh, and Jason Lytle. That left the floor for the diehards that somehow navigated the brief moments before tickets sold out to get their hands on the chance to see the band. And if there was any doubt as to whether the tickets came to the right people, it was answered by an eruption of recognition for nearly every song. Sometimes Lynne would coyly introduce the titles, acting like there was a chance people wouldn’t be familiar with “Evil Woman” or “Livin’ Thing”. For “Telephone Line”, he let the track’s opening keys and dial tone clue in the audience. Even for his new numbers, fans gave courtesy claps and undivided attention to the tunes, all of which held their own against the company of classic rock radio staples.

Of course, some songs still stood out. The muscular guitar of “Don’t Bring Me Down” turned the Fonda into a party, with the older audience members transported back to their youth with ease. Lynne commented that he thought they performed “Steppin’ Out” better now than when Out of the Blue was released in 1977, and the deep cut did manage to shine against its better known counterparts. And there was the set-closing one-two punch of “Telephone Line” and “Mr. Blue Sky”, both clear fan favorites that managed to deliver on all their recorded subtleties, with the string section standing out then and really throughout the entire set.

A single encore of Chuck Berry’s “Roll Over Beethoven”, complete with the extended intro of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony as released by ELO on their 1973 ELO 2 album, punctuated a performance that went above and beyond any expectations. That’s a rare thing for reunions; Lynne’s voice and attention to detail as a bandleader somehow haven’t faded over the decades. For those that didn’t score tickets to the New York and LA performances, it is hard not to imagine Lynne taking this incarnation of the band on the road for serious touring in 2015 (if it might be a hint, Coachella founder Paul Tollett was also seen at the show). They’re simply too good not to.

Setlist:
All Over the World
Evil Woman
Showdown
Turn to Stone
When I Was a Boy
Livin’ Thing
One Step at a Time
Strange Magic
Don’t Bring Me Down
Steppin’ Out
Sweet Talkin’ Woman
Can’t Get It Out of My Head
When the Night Comes
Ain’t It a Drag
Rock ‘n’ Roll Is King
Telephone Line
Mr. Blue Sky
Encore:
Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry cover)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 01:30 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home