Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: IORR changes - suggestions please!
Date: November 12, 2015 00:27

Do not please change the design,

I would suggest minor changes. For instance:

When placing the mouse on the title of the thread a little window would show the first sentences written by the poster. Or adding a minor range of days in the search area ("today", "last weeek", "last 15 days").

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 12, 2015 00:41

Hairball
NICOS
IORR Emerald template 1.0 is still in use ...can't stand the older templates......

I remember there were some choices a long time ago - maybe 5 or 6 years (?), or was it automatically changed to a new template when things started anew 11 years ago?
Anyways, I ended up reverting back to the simpler grey one as a creature of habit as I think the layout was good as is, and then forgot all about it.

Might be time for a change...is there an easy way to see and change to the other templates? Maybe through my control center?

Yes control center and then template submit and in my case I have to hit F5 (refresh key) to make it work.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 00:46

Thanks Nicos - found it as you were replying, and edited my original post.

Control setting > Forum settings > template. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 01:12

How about a page just for posting videos? I like the relevance of having videos in a thread but if there's a page just for videos than an internal link could be listed and perhaps that would make sense.

Date: November 12, 2015 01:30

Some more suggestions:

I found the icons/buttons at the top of the page to be confusing. I understood at once that the "house" means "homepage / start page". But the other three seem quite mysterious to me. I know, the url shows at the bottom of the page, when I move the cursor over an icon, but that's not not very telling or noticeable. I was surprised, when I, being on Tell Me, pressed what looks like "back" and "forth" buttons and was lead to news pages. I had imagined it meant something like "go to the previous page" and "to the next one" in your browser. The "back" and "forth" button obviously navigate me through a row of somehow connected pages, that change, depending on the point I started at, but I don't recognize the structure behind it. The third icon from the left and the related button function aren't comprehensible to me at all. Some pop up (I think such a thing is called a tool tip?) at pointing the mouse at one of these icons could help. Also maybe other icons and something like a menue to make the structure in the background obvious for the navigation (where am I, where can I go, where will I end after using a button?).

And ... I couldn't find my control center a few moments ago. Somebody had mentioned templates here in this thread and I wanted to have a look at my settings. Then I discovered, I had to go back to the forum start page, because otherwise the button "My control center" wouldn't show in the "Goto" task bar. I think this option for personal settings should always be there, on every page. And be separated from the other options in the bar (forum list, new topic, ...). For example together with the "Log out" option in the upper right corner of the page or above the task bar. So you would have your "personal stuff" combined and handy.

(Edited after some more trying and to make it clearer.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 19:50 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 12, 2015 01:56

NICOS
Hairball
NICOS
IORR Emerald template 1.0 is still in use ...can't stand the older templates......

I remember there were some choices a long time ago - maybe 5 or 6 years (?), or was it automatically changed to a new template when things started anew 11 years ago?
Anyways, I ended up reverting back to the simpler grey one as a creature of habit as I think the layout was good as is, and then forgot all about it.

Might be time for a change...is there an easy way to see and change to the other templates? Maybe through my control center?

Yes control center and then template submit and in my case I have to hit F5 (refresh key) to make it work.....

Whaaaat??? You can change the template color? Why didn't I know this until now? I never thought it came in any other color, just the grey...IORR is more modern than I thought!

Update....I just tried it out. I don't think I like it...anyway, I don't think it's for me. Old habits die hard. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 02:01 by latebloomer.

Posted by: leahoneill ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:14

Thanks..would appreciate the assist..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:18

latebloomer
NICOS
Hairball
NICOS

Whaaaat??? You can change the template color? Why didn't I know this until now? I never thought it came in any other color, just the grey...IORR is more modern than I thought!

Update....I just tried it out. I don't think I like it...anyway, I don't think it's for me. Old habits die hard. cool smiley

Haha I also tried it and browsed around for a minute. I like the green, but it changed the entire format by condensing it narrower - at least that's what I see on my laptop.
Probably the reason I reverted back to simple grey all those years ago...if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:45

bv - thanks so much for asking for our input.

As someone who can usually come up with a dozen suggestions for changes on design, this is a case where I don't. Only a few, but just mostly keep it as-is.

Echoing everyone who says more than anything, please don't complicate or over-embellish the site in any way.

When I first joined--because it's my specialty/niche within information architecture--I had many ideas about classification, categorization, and tagging of posts. Over time, realized discussions are far too far-ranging for straight-up categorization--people's POVs vary too widely. Allowing thread creators to tag their posts might be useful, but without possible substantive redesign not sure how it would work, and it would not likely "scale" well, over time. When I was a lurker and a new poster I thought it would be cool to tag posts with topics, year, main players, geo, etc. - but, again, it's just neither practicable nor, after years of consideration, desirable or needed.

I appreciate the site's being more or less monochromatic, no visual splashyness or distractions.

Two tiny tweaks:
(1) make Search default to All Dates rather than 30 Days (allow people to narrow as an option - i.e., the opposite of right now)

(2) delete the editorial default that turns " ) into this: ") The winky-smiley should be generated only by ; ) (semi-colon+closed parens)

As others say:

- if not too burdensome server-wise, a way for people to upload photos

- restore former youtube display functionality

- individual should be able to opt out of showing how many times a post it edited

- ability to delete one's own post

- don't want OT or other topics cordoned off somewhere else--it's easy enough for eyes to scan the list for what's interesting to me; I will *not* visit 5 different "areas"

- don't need popular threads or anything like that called out or ordered -- I appreciate your editorial input of what you deem priority threads with "Sticky," whether or not I agree or even read them (usually don't tho clearly many many do)

- no opinion about the "homepage" - never visit it

- responsive design would be great, if possible

- I don't need app

- indicator of what was the last post I read on a thread might be "nice," but cannot quite envision how this feature would work (can almost imagine a temporary highlighting of the first post that has appeared since I last opened that thread, but that might conflict with my tendency simply to go to the most recent PAGE of posts in a threads--but sometimes I end up having to Page Backward to figure out where I "left" the conversation)

- please don't clutter the thread listing with more functionality or options -- it is close to perfect imho from a UX perspective

- don't need private messaging -- don't want the traffic; if someone wants to contact me they can do so by my email address, which currently functions mostly to receive iorr mail

- don't need expanded Profile area - I'm exhausted by that shit on Facebook and everywhere else (I compulsively indulge in it there, but this is such a nice break from all that)

- very much appreciate:
---the long list of topics
---length of pages
---layout of pages
---functionality of pages
---how quoting works--if people don't want to quote, don't or if they want to trim quotes they are free to - it's not hard
---preview mode
---ability to lightning quick click on poster to see what s/he has posted, go to that thread, check it out, and return to what I was doing
---ongoing lack of ads or flagrant promotion
---that you will do nothing to compromise speed and streamlined simplicity/elegance

- agree a line automatically inserted above signature and maybe allow signature creator to select a color might be helpful (tho this is minor minor)

- "Like" seems a little lazy and can set up weird hierarchies of who's garnering more Likes vs. who is being ignored, and people slant their posts to get the little rush of endorphin buzz (scientifically proven) of a Like -- I agree we have the option to TU if we feel like it

Administrative and behavioral stuff (the latter has to do with posters' personal choices, not bv)

- a change would be nice on the part of posters--being explicit in the naming of threads---I sometimes wonder whether people intentionally post vague Subjects in hopes of wooing people into their thread, which is extremely annoying---I tend to hop on and off iorr very very quickly---I don't have time to click on every thread and it's a PITA when I take the time to do so (e.g., "another great cover" ) because I'm interested in Stones album covers but it's about some bar band playing a cover of a Stones tune. No offense to the particular new poster who created that thread!

- another change on the part of posters--I know that some of my posts have been Reported--even recently--by people who do not think they "like" me, what I say, or my style of expression. This has gotten me banned--twice--from iorr. I wish people would use a lighter hand with Reporting. It's the one time I do wish for PMing -- if you have a problem with me or my opinion, I wish you would talk to me, not strike out against me in a way that could result in my being banned--unless what I say makes you feel unsafe or violated. Perhaps some people get a rise out of having that little power surge, but it creates very bad vibes for the whole board, and I think at times it puts Bjornulf in a tough position--he does not have time to do a research project on every single complaint/Report. Perhaps that's why some people use it.

- another suggested change re: posters--a subset of posters take over other people's threads. Someone mentioned how the energy peters out of a thread and it "naturally" turns to other topics, as in a bar, but that's not how it usually seems (to me). It's not a bar conversation, and often it seems more that one person is bored with the topic and instead of leaving personally take the energy out of the thread. Maybe because I search on the the IORR "archives" so much, but focused threads are so much more useful. If you're tired of the topic, why not simply stop posting in the thread? It seems sometimes people are lonely and just want to keep "talking." Maybe we should have an ongoing "OT: Barroom chatter" thread where people can generally shoot the shit? I have noticed this commandeering of threads happens often to "less powerful" and "less popular" posters. Also in more serious or detailed threads. It can really seem like a display of social dominance, like "Watch me single-handedly dilute and possibly even kill your thread by drawing attention away from the topic and onto myself, my interests, and my personal relationships on IORR." Just a thought...and I know there are multiple "motivators" for coming to IORR---for some people it is more informational, for some fills very real social gaps, others it's a time-passer and a feel-good way to shoot the shit, some enjoy keeping things very very light and the more dense topical threads don't resonate with them--for others it's a sounding board and collaboratory. But, to me, it's like going to a party and someone starts initiating a loud "side" conversation but in the middle of someone else's discussion. If I were at a party (as happens here in San Francisco/Silicon Valley) and a bunch of geeks start geeking out on developer-geek topics, I wouldn't start speaking about cooking to make them shut up because I happen to like some of the people in the circle and feel like talking to them about something else...

- I don't know that you, Bjornulf, want to change the administrative structure of iorr -- I do know that the site would likely change in terms of complexity if even one more person were moderating; that may or may not be a bad thing--or could be good AND bad. I believe it would contribute to a sense of an "elite" ruling body -- which I appreciate does NOT exist here. If people have a problem with your autocracy, just wait until there's a cadre of "oppressors" making decisions out of one's control -- at least now I can shake my fist at an effigy of YOU for banning me, but the sense of a snide little group of teacher's helpers and hall monitors probably would be worse

- per above -- the "Reporting" weapon is tricky. I know you do not have limitless time for moderation. And that you largely "go by" what people Report to you. But last week a guy who has a personal dislike for a topic seems to have Reported it to you and had it folded into a 70-something page thread because he considered it OT. It was highly on-topic, and harmless, and even interesting. Once it got tossed into the giant compost heap it disintegrated. I rarely look in those waste heap threads. So--I have no solution--and I do see how having a transparent egoless set of helpers would be useful here (as in LinkedIn, where I run a Group of 8000 people, I get a notification that someone's post has been flagged as Inappropriate--I have an assistant who helps handle those--sometimes she contacts the OP and sometimes contacts Flagger for more info--sometimes escalates to me--but all this happens once in a blue moon)

- banning & transparency: again, I don't know that you are going to make an Admin changes, but the 2 times I've been banned it has felt fairly brutal, not to mention unexpected. And after a spate of banning there is a very bad feeling on the board. Even writing this I have a bit of fear I might get banned, which I wouldn't think you want as the tenor of your community. I realize a more nuanced, transparent, and apparently consistent approach adds time to this "job." And this is not a job; it's a pasttime and largely a service to the Stones community. I do believe people should be banned. But very very few. And in an ideal world---as people have said---maybe a "system" of time outs or warnings? and with a consistent objective reason. Because otherwise it feels arbitrary, personal, and deliberately cruel.

Basically, please keep mostly as-is in terms of design and functionality.

Thank you again for asking for our input/opinions.

- swiss

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 03:41 by swiss.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:02

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:39 by colonial.

Date: November 12, 2015 04:11

colonial
colonial
To have the option to delete ya own posts and threads

Another very popular change would be able to edit ya own username and to have gaps if ya username has two or more words in it.

To have the option to delete ya own posts and threads...you mean a thread were people did react on? no way.......But you can remove your own post by editing............except if someone quoted your post.

Another very popular change would be able to edit ya own username not sure this one is popular for everybody...but your right for me......I wanted to change my username in NicoS made more sense then the capital one NICOS.........BV didn't want to change usernames.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:18

Olly
Naturalust
Olly
Richard from Canada
Love it as is. Great work, Bjornulf. One suggestion may be to somehow limit the endless scrolling of Quotes to get to the newest comment about a particular topic.

Simply click on 'Last Post' in the Last Post column. Scroll upwards from there to see older posts.

I think his whole point is that doing so only takes you to the last page, not the latest comments. No worries, imo, last page is close enough for me.

It takes you to the latest post.

confused smiley Maybe I am missing something here. All I have is a Goto Page at the top of the threads. Where is Last Post column you are talking about? Do we have a different interface? Thanks.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:22

Naturalust
confused smiley Maybe I am missing something here. All I have is a Goto Page at the top of the threads. Where is Last Post column you are talking about? Do we have a different interface? Thanks.

To the right of Started By.

Olly.

Date: November 12, 2015 04:33

Olly
Naturalust

Thanks Olly! I had no idea that link was actually two links and that the "Last Post" took you directly to the last post. Sweet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 04:34 by Naturalust.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:34

Olly
Naturalust

I interpreted the "ask" or requirement, to be: Take me to the most recent post since I last opened this thread. Not simply the most recent post (i.e., far-right top-nav heading: Last Post)

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:38

Naturalust
Olly
Naturalust

Thanks Olly! I had no idea that link was actually two links and that the "Last Post" took you directly to the last post. Sweet.

No problem. You must have given yourself a repetitive strain injury with all the scrolling you've been engaged in over the years.

Olly.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 12, 2015 04:45

Boognish
How about making the signatures a different font or colour to make the posts a little less confusing? Or maybe make it so they're automatically italic?

Certain people (you know who you are) really ought to take care of this themselves. It would be helpful to the rest of us who have to read their confusing signatures/quotations with each post of their posts. Use the buttons above to customize the signature.

"I should realize that my signature seems wrong""But I don't get it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 05:12 by schillid.

Date: November 12, 2015 04:53

Olly
No problem. You must have given yourself a repetitive strain injury with all the scrolling you've been engaged in over the years.

Naw I've learned to switch up with the fingers used on my laptop mouse pad and my desktop has a rockin' trackball, but I really do appreciate the tip. I'm probably not the only one who will benefit from it. thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:16

DandelionPowderman
please don't tell me I'm the only one still sticking to the old grey template

No, you are not.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:37

Limit the number of characters to a maximum of 25 per post .... people who like to write letters can get pen pals ... ... ... ...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:41

25 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... Geeez man ya JUST blew the max by about 25....hahaha

ROCKMAN

Date: November 12, 2015 11:41

colonial
to have gaps if ya username has two or more words in it.

My username has two words, with a gap inbetween. So, that already works

-------------------

Date: November 12, 2015 11:46

NICOS
add a line above the signature

Thanks

-------------------

Date: November 12, 2015 11:48

Rockman
25 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... Geeez man ya JUST blew the max by about 25....hahaha

Exceptions may only be made when bv are proposals for changes. ...then 100 is the limit HOoooHOOOHaaa...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 12, 2015 11:58

GREAT IDEA COLONIAL.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 12, 2015 12:19

Rockman

GREAT IDEA COLONIAL.....

Rockman, why is there a triple XXX in your email?

Date: November 12, 2015 12:23

Triple X rated ..... HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 12, 2015 12:26

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 12, 2015 14:50

Naturalust
I'm surprised so many people are commenting on the video embedding feature. Just like before when the "s" is removed from the URL the video does embed. It's a matter of changing your browser settings to be able to view them. I'd say that's a pretty minor trade off for having the additional security and choice to view unsafe content or not.

I think having the ability to post pictures in a thread without the need to link to an URL would be nice, I know it would take up more server space but it would certainly be easier and prevent the loss of so many pictures when the original link goes bad. Memory is cheap, the loss of classic Stones content frustrating.

Minor trade off? eye popping smiley
that's like a request "if you want to visit our town in winter, please leave your trousers at home"
while you're at it, and one thing leads to another, shut off your antivirus program, disable your firewall, supply your full name and address as well as your creditcard #.

It is a minor tweak to look at the website code and enable embedding for HTML5. no Flash, thanks.
It is not an option for thousands of visitors to tamper with their browser security settings.
btw, anyone looking in from work most likely won't have any options to change anything. or... be slapped on the wrist if they did.

You want this place to be easy to use and snappy responding?
then hosting pictures on this same server is a way to stop that, pronto.
you find it frustrating to lose Stones pics?
save them to your harddrive. Memory is cheap.

Date: November 12, 2015 14:50

Rolling Hansie
NICOS
add a line above the signature

Thanks

Actually I meant signatures were they use a complete sentence and you think it's part of the post...

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home