Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: IORR changes - suggestions please!
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: November 14, 2015 04:39

The site is fine just the way it is BV.

However, I would like it if we could post and respond to some of the much older Tell Me forum posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-14 04:41 by stevecardi.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 14, 2015 17:21

Maybe revising the Hot Stuff section as more of a tracker for video and audio links.

Date: November 14, 2015 17:56

Hairball
Discovered this fairly recently, but if you click on your username (or anyone else's) there's a link to 'Show all posts'.
The posts are listed in the order they were made - from most recent to your very first. Kind of interesting to see posts from 11 years ago.
Maybe if they were catalogued by month and year it could be easier to zero in on a particular period.
Sadly, nothing prior to the changeover from 11 years ago is listed - would like to read all the setlist complaints from the Licks Tour.winking smiley

Yes, I can click on my name at the top of one of my posts to then find all of my posts, the way you say - if I happen to read one of my posts at the time. Otherwise I have the option to use the search function to find me as an author for "all dates" to get to the same result, that is a list of all my posts. Still, I like the idea of including a list of somenone's posts in the profile / control center better.

I also like the idea of a notification, when someone responded to you. Maybe give the user a note, whenever someone linked to his/her username by quoting or mentioning the name in a post; connect mentioning and quoting someone with creating a link to this user's profile in the responding post to enable this. So a quoted username in the response would be automatically turned into a link, and a username, that is just mentioned in a post, could be turned into a link manually (automatically might not be practical here, since a username can have a normal meaning as well, for example the word "hairball" ). You could add an option "insert link to user" in the task bar of the editing window for this. There it would be nice, if a poster could simply choose among the existing usernames in alphabetical order, so one wouldn't have to write the respective name out.

What about an option to bookmark interesting single posts (I know, one can follow threads, but that's a bit different, also not applying to single posts), so you can find and read them again later via your control center?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-14 18:54 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: November 15, 2015 08:23

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 15, 2015 17:42

Wow, Commander has two sets of teeth and no body fat at all!

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: November 15, 2015 18:34

My suggestion would be to ban discussions about religion and politics. I log on to this site to read about The Stones and other things musical not the hate and vitriol that is spewed when religion and politics enter the discussion. There are plenty of places on the internet for this so please people take it somewhere else! You are ruining it for the rest of us.

Date: November 15, 2015 18:52

fleabitmonkey
My suggestion would be to ban discussions about religion and politics. I log on to this site to read about The Stones and other things musical not the hate and vitriol that is spewed when religion and politics enter the discussion. There are plenty of places on the internet for this so please people take it somewhere else! You are ruining it for the rest of us.

BV does ask that we not discuss the above topics here on this board. As he has a regular job like the rest of us and does this board part time it is impossible to monitor it 24/7. It is up to us to police ourselves and not respond to posts like these.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: November 15, 2015 19:28

No need to be condescending my intent was not to give Bjornulf another job. It was my way to suggest to those people bringing politics and religion to cool it. It wouldn't take 24/7 monitoring to nip the bitter remarks that are being tossed around on the Paris thread for the last 30 hours. Apparently we are not doing a very good job of policing ourselves. The site after all is called "It's only rock and roll"!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 15, 2015 19:55

Stoneage
Wow, Commander has two sets of teeth and no body fat at all!

That is one ugly picture!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 15, 2015 20:00

fleabitmonkey
No need to be condescending my intent was not to give Bjornulf another job. It was my way to suggest to those people bringing politics and religion to cool it. It wouldn't take 24/7 monitoring to nip the bitter remarks that are being tossed around on the Paris thread for the last 30 hours. Apparently we are not doing a very good job of policing ourselves. The site after all is called "It's only rock and roll"!

The Paris thread is an exception in view of extraordinary circumstances, and bv will probably close it when people have let off steam. In normal times politics and religion are as forbidden as you want them to be.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 15, 2015 20:55

No changes. Site is great as it is

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 15, 2015 21:04

Green Lady
fleabitmonkey

The Paris thread is an exception in view of extraordinary circumstances, and bv will probably close it when people have let off steam. In normal times politics and religion are as forbidden as you want them to be.

For me it is refreshing and appreciated to see the thread about the France attacks, it is interesting to see the diverse views from a truly international community on something that is so important it will affect most of our lives in some way or another. I hope it can continue in that one thread. Like the Mick Taylor thread it is confined to a single place, people like fleabitmonkey or anyone else who doesn't want to read about the politics, religion and other stuff that is intrinsic to such a discussion have a very simple solution....don't read the thread.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2015 22:38

fleabitmonkey

Trust me, he was not being condescending even though you may have interpreted it that way.
I can vouch for him in that he was only trying to be helpful.

As others have mentioned, if you don't like a particular thread or post, don't open and read it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 16, 2015 02:15

You are way to nice for the flea.......you don't treat a flea like that...... (after all I'm glad I wasn't the first to read his comment thanks guy's for delicate comments)

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 16, 2015 02:41

Although it's always been great as is, the only thing I can think of is a separate section of Tell Me devoted to everything OT (off-topic)?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 16, 2015 22:34

fleabitmonkey

If there is an offending post then it takes anyone one second to use the "Report this message" link under the actual post. I never delete or moderate based on my own opinion. It always take an external "Report this message" for me to look into a post. Also, FYI, don't report many many posts, just one, two or three, then you will see if I react, or if I ignore it. So far there has been may be two to four i.e. 2-4 reports from the Paris thread, while there are now close to four hundred posts in it. People are well behaved and reasonable toterate. Some say bomb and kill everyone, well that is the nature of instant affection. Some say blame it all on Obama or Mother Teresa or Ghandi or Bush. Again it is forgiven because it is clearly out of line, to out of line to be wasted time on. But I have deleted 2-4 because they were reported. Also see my comment in that thread.

Bjornulf

Date: November 16, 2015 23:35

Another idea......when your the last one who post on a thread and the page is full then the next page will appear and your post will in most cases be overlooked............solution the last post should also be on the next page.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 17, 2015 01:36

open-g
Please make You Tube videos embedding possible again.

maybe create a seperate section just for videos...kind of like an IORR-tube.
one stop shopping for all our video wants rather than coming across a cool video burined in an unrelated post and then not being able to find it again 6 months later.

Like videos could be grouped under one heading/thread:
- Ed Sullivan shows;
- interviews;
- tour videoes (by tour)
- official (MTV type) videos
- bootleg videos;

Aallow people to post by themselves in approrpiate section or create their own, and hopefully it will be followed.

Also this might allow cooments to be added below the video without the need to "quote" the video, making the thread beceome unmanageable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-17 15:11 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 18, 2015 06:38

this site should make amends with some former posters that offered some levity, but also knew a little more about what they were talking about...like Gazza for example.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: November 18, 2015 16:12

The only suggestion is to give MILKYWAY the ability to post sticky threads. Other than that, everything seems fine.

Thank you for even having this website.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 18, 2015 19:17

Regarding moderation: That is a separate topic. What I am asking for is suggestions for the actual contents. I am working on a plan, and I just need to have some input to see if there is something impirtant I have forgotten about. Contents I mean...

Bjornulf

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2015 21:38

The retro look is very nice, but maybe update

It looks like a scan of a 7th generation photocopy.

Maybe a tab / windows format would work? ... help navigation and drive users to other areas besides Tell Me forum.

Also, maybe it would be helpful to combine "Tour Dates" (home page, left column) and "Show Reviews" (home page, right column) into a single tab (that I have called "On With The Show" ); then use sub-categories (more tabs?) for dates and reviews ... use that same idea for studio release (Get What You Need) tab

The fonts, colors, position, etc. below are just to give an idea of what I mean...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-18 21:39 by schillid.

Date: November 18, 2015 21:45

Background colors / texture for right panels above should match!

Date: November 18, 2015 23:14

I also prefer this (maybe a little smaller IMO) especially on the Tel Me page it's easier to switch to other places...(as for the "Connection" other sites this parts needs to be reviewed as 60% is not working anymore)

Date: November 18, 2015 23:20

Smaller type, smaller tabs ... Yes I agree.
I did this quickly just to illustrate the idea

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2015 23:51

Very nice shillid. thumbs up

My input for your 'tell me' page design: I think that when you click on a thread on the tell me page to open , the left margin categories will either shrink heavily or completely disappear as to not interfere with the format - could be a slight distraction otehrwise. All one has to do is then is go back to the main tell me page and the choices/categories will reappear in the left column.

Date: November 19, 2015 00:15

Quote to Schillid:

The retro look is very nice, but maybe update

It looks like a scan of a 7th generation photocopy.

If we remove this one IORR would's be the same anymore.............grinning smiley

But your right schillid..........it needs to be updated.............maybe BV can make contest for this one............design a new Stone drawing............

So what ever will changed on IORR this one must stay ....or maybe as BV's signature..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 01:23 by NICOS.

IORR changes - suggestions
Posted by: ParachuteMan ()
Date: November 19, 2015 00:58

First, many many thanks to BV for this fantastic site! It does work great as it is!
Still, I have a couple of suggestions, with apologies if those have already been mentioned.
1. Include somewhere, e.g. as a permanent link on the Tell Me Forum a "user guide" about how to make best use of the forum, e.g. how to insert images, videos, make signatures with pictures etc.
2. Offer some way to sort the threads in the forum, e.g. by number of posts, total number of views, number of views/posts last last week, average number of views/posts per day etc. If feasible, this would be great.
3. A few suggestions on the home page:
- Change the background. It looks a bit like an old monitor starting to show colour fringing.
- Remove the covers of issues 60 and 61 of the IORR Magazine from 2009.
- A picture of the band other than the one that is currently there would be good. It's a great picture of a great line-up, but quality-wise it looks as if it's been sent back and forth through a low resolution fax several times.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: November 19, 2015 07:31

Another vote for a "Go to first unread message" button.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 19, 2015 08:16

I have always liked the IORR home page. But maybe make it look slick and modern and it will draw in more young fans. I would only do it for them. Otherwise I like the home page retro-look.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home