Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Torn And Frayed (new)
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:08

Thanks Naturalist. Now time to go home, light up and crank Exile on that Japanese import:-)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:21

Don't think I've ever heard this (or at least don't remember hearing it), but while looking around on youtube I found this:

Can anyone verify if this is actually what it says it is?
Title of video is: Rolling Stones - Torn and Frayed (1972) Taylor and Richards Jamming.
Caption under video says: Rolling Stones American Tour Rehearsals, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio, Dallas, Texas, June 23rd, 1972.

Starts off a bit slow and shakey, then finds the groove, and ends with a cool rockin' blues jam starting at the 5:30 mark.

Rolling Stones - Torn and Frayed (1972) Taylor and Richards Jamming

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:32

Silver Dagger
One of the loveliest songs on Exile and absolute proof that the band could master country/country-rock music.

Fantastic lyrics too - most probably written by Mick. They really tie in well with the album's general feeling of alienation, isolation, and beat up outsiders making the best of a tough old world.

The song's genesis is mysterious - there aren't any demos of it and I don't recall reading either Mick or Keith's recollections of writing or recording it.

How many times did they play it live? I can only think of Vancouver 72?

I believe it was probably written after they arrived in LA in late 71.

Actually, come to think of it, does anybody know when the Stones decided that Exile would be a double album? How many songs did they leave Nellcote with and how many more did they write in LA. I'd love to know more about this period in their career.

If I remember correctly they also did play Torn and Frayed at the club show in Toronto just before the start of the Licks tour (2002).

I thought they had 8 or 9 songs recorded at Nellcote, and finished them in LA. The other songs were recorded at Micks house Cheyne Walk in England or Keith's house Redlands, also in England. They were recorded/written from 1969 onwards (Loving Cup for example, which they already played live at Hyde Park 1969)

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:33

I don't understand very well the first lines:

Hey, let him follow you down
Way underground, wind and he's bound
Bound to follow you down
Just a dead beat right off the street
Bound to follow you down

Date: November 9, 2015 20:34

gallagher
Silver Dagger
One of the loveliest songs on Exile and absolute proof that the band could master country/country-rock music.

Fantastic lyrics too - most probably written by Mick. They really tie in well with the album's general feeling of alienation, isolation, and beat up outsiders making the best of a tough old world.

The song's genesis is mysterious - there aren't any demos of it and I don't recall reading either Mick or Keith's recollections of writing or recording it.

How many times did they play it live? I can only think of Vancouver 72?

I believe it was probably written after they arrived in LA in late 71.

Actually, come to think of it, does anybody know when the Stones decided that Exile would be a double album? How many songs did they leave Nellcote with and how many more did they write in LA. I'd love to know more about this period in their career.

If I remember correctly they also did play Torn and Frayed at the club show in Toronto just before the start of the Licks tour (2002).

I thought they had 8 or 9 songs recorded at Nellcote, and finished them in LA. The other songs were recorded at Micks house Cheyne Walk in England or Keith's house Redlands, also in England. They were recorded/written from 1969 onwards (Loving Cup for example, which they already played live at Hyde Park 1969)

They also played it at the Aragon Ballroom. This time they did a good version.

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:35

Hairball
Don't think I've ever heard this (or at least don't remember hearing it), but while looking around on youtube I found this:

Title of video is: Rolling Stones - Torn and Frayed (1972) Taylor and Richards Jamming.
Caption under video says: Rolling Stones American Tour Rehearsals, Sumet-Burnet Recording Studio, Dallas, Texas, June 23rd, 1972.

Starts off a bit slow and shakey, then finds the groove, and ends with a cool rockin' blues jam starting at the 5:30 mark.

indeed, this is from Dallas Rehearsals. Also available on some boots if I remember correctly

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2015 20:39

gallagher
Hairball

indeed, this is from Dallas Rehearsals. Also available on some boots if I remember correctly

Thanks gallagher!
As I've mentioned in the past, I have stacks upon stacks of boots with a majority still being in storage after a studio move several years ago.
Another reason to dig deep and unearth all the gems! thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 9, 2015 23:06

Christian

Bound to follow you down
Bound to follow you down

*ugh, but tie- ing up someone's arm to inject drugs? :-(. Let him follow you down.
God that's dark.
Probably what I meant earlier about 'little too desolate' for me.
And FWIW, not because I have any experiences like maybe described in the song!
Just too sensitive sometimes looking right over the edge.
Thanks everyone for sharing reviews-- awesome.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2015 23:23

LIFE - Keith Richards pages 303-304

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2015 00:20

Thanks, Rockman - so my first association was right: It was in an interview with Mick
that he made it clear that Keith wrote Torn & Frayed, words and all.

Posted by: mainoffender1 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 00:23

Always been one of my favourites on Exil! It captures the whole feeling of the album ... just beautiful!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 09:31

I listen to Torn and Frayed more than any other song on Exile (I think so anyways, but Happy and Loving Cup can’t be too far behind). For some reason it’s always a buzz to hear that Dsus2 D intro. Even a stoner can play that but it makes the song all the more achingly beautiful. Lyrically this song certainly ranks among their best. Jagger sings his heart out for he knows the guitar will stop playing before too long. It really would’ve been fitting to close the album with this song IMO.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 11, 2015 12:12

When listening closer to this track it sounds mostly like a 'Between the Buttons'-outtake...Or also as a continuation of ' "You can't Always get what you want '.

Not bad though...well, maybe a bit half-assed then...tongue sticking out smiley

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 12:13 by Come On.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 11, 2015 15:55

"Torn and Frayed" is one of my all time favorite Stones songs. I love to sing it. The part that caught my attention that got me to first like the song was the very, very end where the two guitars switch back and forth playing the riff (lick?).

I thought the live versions in 2002 were pretty good. I enjoy them.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:04

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:31

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 11, 2015 21:11

Songs like this are exactly why I can't get enough of this band!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:27

great song on a great album, one of the best on the album along with

let it loose
loving cup
sweet virginia
rocks off

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:35

buttons67
great song on a great album, one of the best on the album along with

let it loose
loving cup
sweet virginia
rocks off

IMO Tumbling dice is one of their best singles ever. It gets a bad reputation on here because it is completely lacking when performed live.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 22:40

i think tumbling dice has suffered as a result of being played live far too many times, but it is a great song.

Date: November 11, 2015 22:57

I agree, the recorded track of Tumbling Dice is perhaps, the best song ever, the last minute ending pure bliss.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 11, 2015 23:23

35love
Christian

Bound to follow you down
Bound to follow you down

*ugh, but tie- ing up someone's arm to inject drugs? :-(. Let him follow you down.
God that's dark.

wtf? I think maybe it's your own active imagination taking this to that dark place. winking smiley Lots of drug references in Stones songs from this period but I honestly don't think this is one of them. But who knows, Keith's infatuation with drugs at the time was certainly obvious.

I interpret the song lyrics more as just an observation of the ragged state of some of the people hanging around the band at the time...kind of an extension of the "Hope you won't see me and my ragged company" line from Dead Flowers.

Date: November 11, 2015 23:50

Naturalust
35love
Christian

Bound to follow you down
Bound to follow you down

God that's dark.

wtf? I think maybe it's your own active imagination taking this to that dark place. winking smiley Lots of drug references in Stones songs from this period but I honestly don't think this is one of them. But who knows, Keith's infatuation with drugs at the time was certainly obvious.

I interpret the song lyrics more as just an observation of the ragged state of some of the people hanging around the band at the time...kind of an extension of the "Hope you won't see me and my ragged company" line from Dead Flowers.

i think "bound to follow you down" could definitely be interpreted in the way suggested, it's a clever double meaning to the word that often comes up in the stones lyrics. (recent example: "pity for"/"Pitiful" on Crosseyed heart)

Date: November 12, 2015 00:09

Turner68
i think "bound to follow you down" could definitely be interpreted in the way suggested, it's a clever double meaning to the word that often comes up in the stones lyrics. (recent example: "pity for"/"Pitiful" on Crosseyed heart)

Definitely less ambiguous when he was singing "Take Me Down little Suzie". In any case ambiguity and double entendre is a powerful tool when writing lyrics since it obviously allows more people to interpret the lyrics in a way they can relate to. There was an interview with Jagger where he specifically talks about that.

But I'm in no hurry to visualize 35love's interpretation of this one every time I hear this great tune. LOL

Date: November 12, 2015 00:15

Okay yeah sorry I said anything, but the poster was asking. And usually I'm the positive happy gal.
But wined up, and tie? What the hell do I know, conservative Sally over here in suburbia.
The music itself is NOT dark, nor the vocal tone- love it.
And ah, we're all torn and frayed at this point/ s'all good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 00:16 by 35love.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: November 12, 2015 00:40

The best country tinged song in their catalog. A bit of a wreck when done live but it was great to hear it on concert.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:26

This is one of personal favorite Stones songs and one of my favorites on the EOMS album. It sounds like a Keith inspired song to me, but of course made for the Stones.

Date: November 12, 2015 02:51

35love
Okay yeah sorry I said anything, but the poster was asking. And usually I'm the positive happy gal.
But wined up, and tie? What the hell do I know, conservative Sally over here in suburbia.

No worries 35Love, you are entitled to your opinions and they are usually very optimistic and delightful. Don't know why I called you out on this one, probably because it seemed so out there to me.

But in discussing and dissecting this lyric the generally accepted words are "Way underground, wind and he's bound, bound to follow you down", not sure where you are getting the "tie" part from. Sounds to me like the bound part is the other meaning of that word since it is followed up with the second line about bound to follow you down.

But the "wind" part is the word that makes no sense to me, perhaps he is saying "wine'ed" as in wined and dined or something else altogether like "why and he's bound" or "wine and he's bound". I've listened to this a thousand times and I can't make any real sense of it using "wind and he's bound". Perhaps it's an English phrase or something? Maybe someone who truly get's this one can straighten me out. Thanks.

Date: November 12, 2015 02:56

Naturalust
35love

No worries 35Love, you are entitled to your opinions and they are usually very optimistic and delightful. Don't know why I called you out on this one, probably because it seemed so out there to me.

But in discussing and dissecting this lyric the generally accepted words are "Way underground, wind and he's bound, bound to follow you down", not sure where you are getting the "tie" part from. Sounds to me like the bound part is the other meaning of that word since it is followed up with the second line about bound to follow you down.

But the "wind" part is the word that makes no sense to me, perhaps he is saying "wine'ed" as in wined and dined or something else altogether like "why and he's bound" or "wine and he's bound". I've listened to this a thousand times and I can't make any real sense of it using "wind and he's bound". Perhaps it's an English phrase or something? Maybe someone who truly get's this one can straighten me out. Thanks.

wind it around your arm, tie it (not sung, i agree), and then your arm is bound and you are ready to go down. imagine someone getting ready to shoot heroin and tying off his or her arm.

now look: "wind and he's bound, bound to follow you down". it makes sense, although it's not a slam dunk.

wind also sounds liked "wined", good point, another great example of multiple meanings.

we'll never know what they intended.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 02:59 by Turner68.

Date: November 12, 2015 03:00

'Wind' can also mean to wrap something around -

But hey, I'm the last person who wants to bum anyone out/ deflect some joy/
I thought about another negative but choose not to go there-
I love this album.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home