Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Torn And Frayed (new)
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 20, 2019 20:32

Spud
Elmo Lewis
Hairball
Absolute 100% perfection.

That wobbly pedal steel is the absolute highest quality.
Piano, drums, vocals, backup vocals, lyrics, acoustic/electric guitars, and everything else - ditto - perfection.

I use to imagine Lynyrd Skynyrd covering this back in the '70's, and while it would have been great imo - it would have never equaled the Stones version.
Some of Skynyrd's tunes actually may have directly lifted a huge amount of inspiration from this among several other Stones tunes (Dead Flowers, etc.).
A cover of this would have fit nicely on any of their albums.

Time to revisit Exile now... thumbs up

Great point as LS had several similar sounding songs - I Never Dreamed, All I can Do Is Write About It, etc..

And I bet Mick could do a mean "Curtis Lowe"....

I always thought it would be fun to hear what the Stones could do with "Gimme Three Steps"

Great idea!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 20, 2019 21:18

Elmo Lewis
Spud
Elmo Lewis
Hairball
Absolute 100% perfection.

That wobbly pedal steel is the absolute highest quality.
Piano, drums, vocals, backup vocals, lyrics, acoustic/electric guitars, and everything else - ditto - perfection.

I use to imagine Lynyrd Skynyrd covering this back in the '70's, and while it would have been great imo - it would have never equaled the Stones version.
Some of Skynyrd's tunes actually may have directly lifted a huge amount of inspiration from this among several other Stones tunes (Dead Flowers, etc.).
A cover of this would have fit nicely on any of their albums.

Time to revisit Exile now... thumbs up

Great point as LS had several similar sounding songs - I Never Dreamed, All I can Do Is Write About It, etc..

And I bet Mick could do a mean "Curtis Lowe"....

I always thought it would be fun to hear what the Stones could do with "Gimme Three Steps"

Great idea!

thumbs up

And Ain't No Good Life, but they would need a proper lead guitarist of Mick Taylor calibur to pull it off properly - the original solo is so good.

Re: Track Talk: Torn And Frayed
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 20, 2019 22:03

I cannot think of this song without thinking about how fond I am of the interesting and perplexing Vancouver performance. Are flubs on stage evidence of lack of preparation or rehearsal time? Is it boldness, courage and confidence? Or is it laziness or hubris? Is the performance "real" or simply sloppy? In any event the performance stumbles along for some reason or another until Taylor and Richards find their groove and the closing minute or so is wonderful. I get the feeling the band is winging it, but Taylor and Richards eventually stick the landing, as they usually did.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 21, 2019 18:14

This unfortunately is one of the songs that prevents EOMS from being a masterpiece.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 21, 2019 18:21

HMS
This unfortunately is one of the songs that prevents EOMS from being a masterpiece.

Whaaaat?!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 21, 2019 18:30

HMS

Yeah, thank God it's not on Dirty Work and therefore can't spoil this album's undisputed "masterpiece" status, right?

Date: June 21, 2019 19:27

retired_dog
HMS

Yeah, thank God it's not on Dirty Work and therefore can't spoil this album's undisputed "masterpiece" status, right?

DW isn´t a masterpiece really, but it is their last from-start-to-finish-enjoyable album of (mostly) original material.

EOMS could ve been a masterpiece indeed but they put too many songs on it that´s the problem. 12 tracks would have been fine.

Date: June 21, 2019 21:22

WelshEdge1
HMS

Whaaaat?!

Date: November 9, 2015 12:09

This song - among others on Exile - always kind of bores me. I dont skip the song when listening to Exile, but rather go through it instead of enjoying it. One of the weaker spots on Exile. Listening to Torn & Frayed gives me the same feeling of boredom as listening to the GHS-album. They have done so much better songs before and after Torn & Frayed, it´s average at best. Average mixed with boredom - HMS

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 22, 2019 06:10

HMS
retired_dog
HMS

DW isn´t a masterpiece really, but it is their last from-start-to-finish-enjoyable album of (mostly) original material.

You spelled UNDERCOVER in a very very strange way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 22, 2019 06:11

WelshEdge1
HMS

Whaaaat?!

Relax. Reality is not in HMS' mindset.

Let him be in his... bunkness. Everyone else knows better.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 22, 2019 06:46

HMS

I agree. This song is truly a masterpiece and one of my favorites on EOMS

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 22, 2019 07:26

uniquely beautiful; this is among their most top flight stuff imo.

Jim Price on organ is playing with as much depth and impact
as his lovely and melodic piano work on Moonlight Mile.
Signature and wonderful stuff from the trumpet man making another rare
appearance on keys as things developed in the studio.
Nothing needs to be said about the obvious signature Stones stuff from Nicky
during this period of recording and performing.
Gunslinger Al Perkins is a joy. Rolling Stone Mick Taylor is aboard.
Taylor on bass, and I'm a big time Bill fan, but still especially love this track.
I'm gonna read up as much as I can on how it was recorded and what was going
down those days and sessions particularly.
PLUS, it's beautifully written imo, and sung; including harmony work.
This is a wonderful and enduring track.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 08:04 by hopkins.

Date: June 22, 2019 17:01

Exile has some of their best songs ever but also at least five floaters and Torn And Frayed, although not actually a floater does not belong to Exile´s best songs. It is what it is - average Stones. There´s not much to complain about Torn And Frayed, but although there´s nothing to praise. Compared to the best Exile-songs it is pale and very easy to overlook.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:29

HMS
Exile has some of their best songs ever but also at least five floaters and Torn And Frayed, although not actually a floater does not belong to Exile´s best songs. It is what it is - average Stones. There´s not much to complain about Torn And Frayed, but although there´s nothing to praise. Compared to the best Exile-songs it is pale and very easy to overlook.

I agree. Torn and Frayed is a wonderful song and one of the lesser-known gems on EOMS. Everything about it works so well. The easy groove of the acoustic guitars and drums, the excellent steel guitar solo from Al Perkins, Mick Taylor's tasty country licks. And the vocal harmonies of Mick and Keith are among the best they ever committed to tape. I like the lyrics as well which is not something I often pay much attention to in a Rolling Stones song. Grade: A

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 20:05 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:39

His Majesty
Ace track, ace performances, beautiful vibe and sound. thumbs up

Listening now and feeling good because of it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 21:04

eye rolling smiley

HMS

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 04:11 by TravelinMan.

Date: June 22, 2019 21:19

confused smiley

Date: June 22, 2019 22:02

HMS

Because Taylor is on bass. That's the first thing that should pop up in your head, if there's anything inside there at all. drinking smiley

Date: June 22, 2019 22:10

TheflyingDutchman
HMS

Because Taylor is on bass. That's the first thing that should pop up in your head, if there's anything inside there at all. drinking smiley

...maybe they relegated him to bass playing to avoid noodling?grinning smiley

Date: June 22, 2019 22:35

His Majesty
confused smiley

It hurt to write that HMS inspired nonsense.

Torn And Frayed is an excellent song with excellent lyrics and is perfectly Stonesy in all its glory.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:37

TravelinMan

Torn And Frayed ... is perfectly Stonesy in all its glory.

Not fully, but still glorious regardless.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:37

HMS
TheflyingDutchman
HMS

More likely he picked up bass because Bill Wyman was not there when the basic tracks were being recorded. Do you know how records are produced?

I am also confident he has some guitar in the final mix too. You can hear it in the outro.

Date: June 22, 2019 22:39

HMS
TheflyingDutchman
HMS

His bass playing is noodling on this track, don't you hear anything at all ? cool smiley

Date: June 22, 2019 22:55

...once a noodler always a noodler no matter what instrumentgrinning smiley

Date: June 22, 2019 23:04

HMS
...once a noodler always a noodler no matter what instrumentgrinning smiley

Even his hair noodles. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 20, 2019 04:09

NICOS
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Recorded: December 1971-March 1972 Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Well, this is incorrect. "Torn And Frayed" was at least started in France. Jim Price is quoted as saying he was isolated in a room in the basement and played B3 organ. He was surprised it was kept in the final mix.

Nicky Hopkins does not play on this song, hence its absence from the Hopkins Tapes. Hopkins left for a bit in the middle of the Nellcote sessions to do a paid LA session; there was a lull in work due to Jagger's wife giving birth. This could have been when the basics were done.

If the only argument is "well, there are no bootlegs", explain "Happy". I've never heard a "Happy" outtake. Or "Ventilator Blues" for that matter.

There isn't actually any evidence of songs recorded solely in LA. As far as I have read, Jagger, Richards, and Taylor were in Sunset in LA. As were Jimmy Miller, Joe Zagarino, Andy Johns, and musical guests Billy Preston, Al Perkins, Bill Plummer, and the backup singers.

"Shine A Light" could have been done there based on the lineup, but that is said to have been started in Olympic during Sticky Fingers. Or even earlier with Leon Russell. That version is probably why Wyman thinks he's on bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 04:53 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:51

Don’t understand why they won’t play this tune on the recent tour

Date: September 20, 2019 06:49

GasLightStreet
HMS
retired_dog
HMS

You spelled UNDERCOVER in a very very strange way.
LOL clever.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: September 20, 2019 10:29

TravelinMan
NICOS
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Recorded: December 1971-March 1972 Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Well, this is incorrect. "Torn And Frayed" was at least started in France. Jim Price is quoted as saying he was isolated in a room in the basement and played B3 organ.

You remember where that quote is from? (Your email is not open btw, mine is, I ve got two widely available "Ventilator-Blues-in-progress" ready for you)

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 20, 2019 14:54

an example of their ragged excellence. No one comes close...the Black Crowes have made a career of trying to bring to life what this song does in 4:19

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home