Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:33

I've re-read the entire thread from top to bottom. I think I am going to settle on the Half-Speed version. $14 cost differential. That's a day's lunch money. It will be on my turntable by Monday afternoon.
I had chemo today (pancreatic cancer) and by Monday I'll be on the couch in recovery mode - all my energy will be gone by that point. I'll have something to listen to and pick apart while I get my energy back.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 18, 2018 02:34

Aw, shit Homer. Very sorry to hear this. But if anything can give you an energy boost, you’ve made the right call. Sending my best wishes.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 18, 2018 02:49

HomerSimpson
I've re-read the entire thread from top to bottom. I think I am going to settle on the Half-Speed version. $14 cost differential. That's a day's lunch money. It will be on my turntable by Monday afternoon.
I had chemo today (pancreatic cancer) and by Monday I'll be on the couch in recovery mode - all my energy will be gone by that point. I'll have something to listen to and pick apart while I get my energy back.

Best wishes Homer.
Jeroen

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 18, 2018 06:05

HomerSimpson

This half-speed version is great, you'll have something great to listen to while you're recovering. Best wishes!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 18, 2018 06:36

HomerSimpson

Very sad to hear of your medical issues, that sucks HS... sad smiley
hopefully the good sounds will help... Rest up and get better

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 18, 2018 10:48

HomerSimpson

Sorry to hear this mate - all the best.

As for the half speed master - does that mean the album is twice as long? ;-)

Rod

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 24, 2018 00:59

It's here. Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. Too tired to deal with it yesterday. Opened it this morning - comes with the orignal artwork and postcards, and a mastering certificate, and digital download card.

Started side 1 - put the needle down - had to check to make sure the amp was on and volume up. There was zero noise on the run-in groove until the song started,

Sounded great first time thru side 1. Decided to compare - restarted side 1, and started my 1990 CD of Exile at the same time. Then spent time hitting the CD/Phono input on my amp to go back and forth between the two sources. If I leave the volume untouched and switch inputs between CD/phono, the CD is clearly louder in absolute volume. Need to spend more time listening track-by-track. Initially, my take is that the LP record is extremely quiet as far as records go (surface noise). It does sound 'softer or warmer' - hard to describe exactally, and perhaps I'm just looking for something that is not there. Got to remind myself, this is a remaster, not a re-mix.

Hope to spin thru side 2-4 tonight, or perhaps tomorrow after coming home from chemo.

I have not used the download card yet - but I will pull those tracks down and will need to do more listening to compare those vs the CD and the LP (unless the download is MP3 in which case there is no point). Hopefully it's a lossless download format.

I'll have to compare these more before I am ready to declare one the 'best'. And that of course will only be my personal opinion, once I've had time to form one.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 02:00

Over the years I’ve listened to every possible version of exile, CBS Cd, Virgin, universal, US vinyl, half speed , mick boy remaster, Japan vinyl , all hoping to hear some difference to excite my listening pleasure
Sorry to say, they all sound basically the same

Actually the only difference I’ve heard in newly remastered songs compared to the original release is the song
I can’t be satisfied , more pronounced percussion, otherwise remastered does nothing for me

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-24 02:02 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 24, 2018 12:24

HomerSimpson
US Amazon is currently selling Exile vinyl based on the 2010 reissue for $24.88. Includes MP3 download.
They are also selling the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master based on a 2016 reissue for $38.19 with no MP3 download.
I already have a CD of Exile purchased in 1990.

My question is - what version of the vinyl should I get? I'm leaning towards the 1/2 speed because the regular version is based on the 2010 reissue which I have not read good things about.

Good morning,

not beeing perfect, nevertheless, you should go for the Abbey Road Half-Speed remaster.

Regards.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:14

HomerSimpson
It's here. Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. Too tired to deal with it yesterday. It does sound 'softer or warmer' - hard to describe exactally, and perhaps I'm just looking for something that is not there. Got to remind myself, this is a remaster, not a re-mix.
I'll have to compare these more before I am ready to declare one the 'best'. And that of course will only be my personal opinion, once I've had time to form one.

The half-speed has become my go-to EXILE. It used to be a needle drop transfer of the Artisan press, surface noise, warts and all. But this new one is - well it is very good on my ears. Mellow & "mjuk" as the Swedes would say.
The 2010 sounds so harsh, my ears get overworked listening to it through my earphones.

I wish you all the best of recoveries HomerSimpson. Your half speed will turn you into a golden version of your old self.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:23

HomerSimpson
It's here. Got my copy from Amazon yesterday. Too tired to deal with it yesterday. Opened it this morning - comes with the orignal artwork and postcards, and a mastering certificate, and digital download card.

Started side 1 - put the needle down - had to check to make sure the amp was on and volume up. There was zero noise on the run-in groove until the song started,

Sounded great first time thru side 1. Decided to compare - restarted side 1, and started my 1990 CD of Exile at the same time. Then spent time hitting the CD/Phono input on my amp to go back and forth between the two sources. If I leave the volume untouched and switch inputs between CD/phono, the CD is clearly louder in absolute volume. Need to spend more time listening track-by-track. Initially, my take is that the LP record is extremely quiet as far as records go (surface noise). It does sound 'softer or warmer' - hard to describe exactally, and perhaps I'm just looking for something that is not there. Got to remind myself, this is a remaster, not a re-mix.

Hope to spin thru side 2-4 tonight, or perhaps tomorrow after coming home from chemo.

I have not used the download card yet - but I will pull those tracks down and will need to do more listening to compare those vs the CD and the LP (unless the download is MP3 in which case there is no point). Hopefully it's a lossless download format.

Put on some headphones (the best way to listen to this edition, imho), sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. And have a speedy recovery. smiling smiley

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:38

Wishing you good health and a speedy recovery Homer.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home