Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 3, 2017 12:22

Agree!

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: January 4, 2017 09:25

I also agree

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2017 09:31

....Hang on !!! ....This ain't like IORR... what's everyone agreein' on ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 4, 2017 09:35

Probably that EOMS is the best rock'n roll album ever recorded...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2017 13:08

...Now you've prompted a debate as to whether it's a Rock 'n' Roll album winking smiley

Date: January 4, 2017 13:16

Spud
...Now you've prompted a debate as to whether it's a Rock 'n' Roll album winking smiley

Or whether ALL the songs on Exile are excellent winking smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 4, 2017 21:31

DandelionPowderman
Spud

Pssssssss! HMS is watchin' you!

Date: January 5, 2017 12:17

Terrible album to be honest ...

...sounds like it was recorded in somebody's basement !

Date: January 5, 2017 13:14

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Spud

Pssssssss! HMS is watchin' you!

grinning smiley

Date: January 5, 2017 13:15

Spud
Terrible album to be honest ...

...sounds like it was recorded in somebody's basement !

All of it?? winking smiley

Date: January 5, 2017 13:47

YES ! ...the whole bloody thing >grinning smiley<

Date: January 5, 2017 14:08

grinning smiley

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: January 7, 2017 18:58

Really good sound - It's " A must have"

Per Arne

(PS. Much better than "The original master recording" of Sticky Fingers that I never have liked)

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: January 13, 2017 00:38

I just scored an original mint Canadian copy today with postcards, even has the stickers that were on the shrink wrap. Sounds wonderful!

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: January 13, 2017 15:49

For me it's ridiculous to read about new and newer and even newer masterings of the same old master.

I agree with Mick Jagger about Exile. This record should be remixed from scratch!
"when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy." (Mick, 2003)

The Beatles released some remixed tracks (but not complete, classic albums) and they sound sooo much better than any previous releases.

Date: January 13, 2017 16:21

Duked
For me it's ridiculous to read about new and newer and even newer masterings of the same old master.

I agree with Mick Jagger about Exile. This record should be remixed from scratch!
"when I listen to Exile it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy." (Mick, 2003)

The Beatles released some remixed tracks (but not complete, classic albums) and they sound sooo much better than any previous releases.

What's wrong with the Exile mix? Songs like Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Let It Loose, Happy, Ventilator Blues, Torn And Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, Soul Survivor and Loving Cup sounds absolutely fabulous, imo.

The sounds of the recorded instruments, the balancing of instruments and the overall sound is excellent.

However, a very few tunes (Sweet Virginia, I Just Wanna See This Face and Turd On The Run) sound a little muddy, but that sounds kinda intentional.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 13, 2017 16:43

Yeah, the mix for Exile is great! No need to remaster. Mick always likes to poo poo old ideas and stuff. And he doesn't like or understand the mythic status of Exile. I suspect secretly he is in awe of it, but he never likes living up to legends and likes to be contrary.
From what I have read, Mick went in and mixed it and purposely mixed his vocals low as if they were just another instrument. Then when some of the critics started bagging on the mix he likes to revise his opinion. For me it is wonderful. It is mysterious, murky swamp that pulls you into the game with all sense focused on the album. Brilliant. And then those horns punch out of the mist with a full thundering force.

Date: January 13, 2017 17:01

DandelionPowderman
Duked

What's wrong with the Exile mix? Songs like Rocks Off, All Down The Line, Let It Loose, Happy, Ventilator Blues, Torn And Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, Soul Survivor and Loving Cup sounds absolutely fabulous, imo.

The sounds of the recorded instruments, the balancing of instruments and the overall sound is excellent.

However, a very few tunes (Sweet Virginia, I Just Wanna See This Face and Turd On The Run) sound a little muddy, but that sounds kinda intentional.

thumbs up
I love the original mix .
It's inaccessible "murkyness" is a big part of it's charm.
It just wouldn't be the same album with a clinical mix.
It's the digital compression applied to the modern masters that irks me.

Date: January 13, 2017 17:31

OK then, for you it's mysterious, murky swamp, for me it's a muddy sounding album from start to end. I love the album by the way!

It was a shocking moment for me to listen to the remixed version (only a snippet) of the Beatles's Got to get you into my life. They made that mix for the Anthology DVD.
Finally the horns were placed correctly in the stereo image, not only on one side. Finally it wasn't muddy sounding at all! Many-many new details were present that were buried in the mix (for example, Ringo's kick drum and so on) and it was crystal clear.

The problem with the 60's...early 70's albums' sound is the too much ping-pong recording, the many reduction mixes.
Of most of these recordings, now a crystal clear mix can be done using the 1st generation of every track.
BTW I also hate digital compression. But a good mix can be done without that, too.

Date: January 13, 2017 20:04

Duked
OK then, for you it's mysterious, murky swamp, for me it's a muddy sounding album from start to end. I love the album by the way!

It was a shocking moment for me to listen to the remixed version (only a snippet) of the Beatles's Got to get you into my life. They made that mix for the Anthology DVD.
Finally the horns were placed correctly in the stereo image, not only on one side. Finally it wasn't muddy sounding at all! Many-many new details were present that were buried in the mix (for example, Ringo's kick drum and so on) and it was crystal clear.

The problem with the 60's...early 70's albums' sound is the too much ping-pong recording, the many reduction mixes.
Of most of these recordings, now a crystal clear mix can be done using the 1st generation of every track.
BTW I also hate digital compression. But a good mix can be done without that, too.

Yep, given availability & access to the original masters, you could certainly do that.
I'm not saying you shouldn't ...and many folks would likely love the result.

It would be a great option to have.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 13, 2017 20:08

whitem8
Yeah, the mix for Exile is great! No need to remaster. Mick always likes to poo poo old ideas and stuff. And he doesn't like or understand the mythic status of Exile. I suspect secretly he is in awe of it, but he never likes living up to legends and likes to be contrary.
From what I have read, Mick went in and mixed it and purposely mixed his vocals low as if they were just another instrument. Then when some of the critics started bagging on the mix he likes to revise his opinion. For me it is wonderful. It is mysterious, murky swamp that pulls you into the game with all sense focused on the album. Brilliant. And then those horns punch out of the mist with a full thundering force.

Agreed. I love how some of the things affecting the mix seems intentional (like the low vocal levels) and others don't, or at least not directly, like the sound quality being influenced by the unorthodox choice of recording studio (Nellcote).

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: January 13, 2017 21:06

I kinda think when something is a masterpiece, you just leave it be.

Date: January 13, 2017 23:05

Spud
Duked

Yep, given availability & access to the original masters, you could certainly do that.
I'm not saying you shouldn't ...and many folks would likely love the result.

It would be a great option to have.

It would require that the recordings are crisp and clear, something that might not be the case with the eight tracks recorded at NellcĂ´te.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: May 15, 2017 09:41

Duked

My fear is that when I listen to the last released tracks like Dumm&Gloom, the deluxe editions - Mick mainly means the vox, which are nowadays mixed very loud and upfront. That definitely would ruin Exile.

Date: May 15, 2017 14:14

micawber
My fear is that when I listen to the last released tracks like Dumm&Gloom, the deluxe editions - Mick mainly means the vox, which are nowadays mixed very loud and upfront. That definitely would ruin Exile.

That would be just another version of Exile... just another option.
I believe the classic edition will always be the regular version, nevertheless other, newer editions.

Date: May 15, 2017 14:31

Duked

I suppose you mean newer masterings of the same old MIX?

Date: May 15, 2017 17:57

DandelionPowderman

I suppose you mean newer masterings of the same old MIX?

Yep, you're right, I meant the old mix!

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 17, 2018 22:59

US Amazon is currently selling Exile vinyl based on the 2010 reissue for $24.88. Includes MP3 download.
They are also selling the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master based on a 2016 reissue for $38.19 with no MP3 download.
I already have a CD of Exile purchased in 1990.

My question is - what version of the vinyl should I get? I'm leaning towards the 1/2 speed because the regular version is based on the 2010 reissue which I have not read good things about.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: January 18, 2018 00:45

whitem8

I agree, and I also think that Mick is pretty clearly a control freak. From that point of view Exile ought to be terrible, given the circumstances surrounding its creation. It must be a bit unpleasant for him not to understand what happened to make it what it is. On some level he would rather produce stuff that's just OK, as long as he's in complete control.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2018 01:13

drwatts
I kinda think when something is a masterpiece, you just leave it be.

Yes - leave well enough alone.
It's embedded in my heart and soul they way it is, and to polish it up with some newfangled mix would seem sacrilege - like painting bright new colors over a classic dark Rembrandt painting.
Might be interesting in a freak show kind of way, but can never replace the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 01:13 by Hairball.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home