Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 30, 2016 15:17

Just got email about my refund...cool....so have they(abby road) pressed more of these ?or just the 1st 250 ?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 30, 2016 16:59

I am not sure. I am skeptical they have printed more. There is nothing on their website. And all to the other stuff people have posted are from third party sellers. Nothing on the Abbey Road website. However, I have noticed that they do now have more copies of Disraeli Gears. So maybe they are doing a second pressing. But nothing on their website indicating that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 30, 2016 17:51

Hairball
whitem8
yes they did. I canceled the order and they refunded. I still am not sure about this being released. It still cannot be found on the Abbey road website. Maybe, it will, but it won't be the first pressing.

It was released on June 24th, and is available right now on Amazon US ready to be shipped:

Exile on Main Street: Half Speed Mastering Import
Vinyl (June 24, 2016)

"HALF-SPEED MASTER : (2LP) 2016 reissue of 1972 album, mastered at Abbey Road Studios from the original tapes & pressed on 180-gram audiophile quality vinyl! Includes 'Tumbling Dice' & 'Happy'.

The price has jumped to $74 via Amazon, but there's also $56.13 + 3.99 shipping via Amazon marketplace here:

Exile on Main Street: Half Speed Mastering

Still holding out on this - might eventually purchase if there's a massive price drop.

might happen...if chuck opts to leave the rolling stones. #CHEXIT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 20:24 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2016 18:19

For what it's worth, Amazon now says:

Only 4 left in stock (more on the way).
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Just last night it said only 'Only 2 left in stock....'. however the price remains the same.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: June 30, 2016 21:08

on preorder on [www.amazon.fr] for 36 euro and [www.lostinvinyl.org] for 30 UKP

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 21:32 by MononoM.

Date: July 1, 2016 05:17

Ok, seems like it is available through Amazon now not just as third party suppliers! Says six copies left. Get 'em while you can!

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: July 13, 2016 15:55

For those of you who are looking for this double album, 12 copies were available last friday at the London records shop Rough Trade for only 34 £ 99...

Rough Trade / 91 Brick Lane / London
Monday to Friday 9 AM / 8 PM - Saturday 10 AM / 8 PM - Sunday 11 AM / 7 PM

Be quick if you want a copy

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: July 13, 2016 19:41

I just ordered mine from Amazon UK.

£37,99

Posted by: DiddleyBo ()
Date: August 8, 2016 15:21

I ordered mine for €40,26 at Amazon.fr, including postage to germany.

They have just informed me, that I will receive it on Thursday.

So happy!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 15:22 by DiddleyBo.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 25, 2016 09:59

Just looking at this before I buy (and it is still advertised on the Abbey Road website) and without going back through the thread (sorry) is it worth the listen? Was everyone who bought happy with the sound?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 10:08 by KingmanBarstow.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: December 25, 2016 11:12

I bought mine copy on amazon.de a few days ago for only 25 Euro!
I was blown away by the fantastic sound. I never heard the album like that.
You also get a download ticket for the album. But the files are not MP3 they are in WAV.
So if you have the chance to get it, buy it - it's worth the Money. grinning smiley

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 25, 2016 14:11

KingmanBarstow
Just looking at this before I buy (and it is still advertised on the Abbey Road website) and without going back through the thread (sorry) is it worth the listen? Was everyone who bought happy with the sound?

It's a vinyl made from a digital master. If you can accept this you might like it.

Date: December 25, 2016 16:04

It is the best pressing of the album I have heard and own. I have the orginial from 72 (England), Japanese import, and remastered (hack Universal), and this pressing. The most dynamic and deep sounding. Hear a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before. Very well done, with great packaging.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 18:40

NedKellyBandit
I bought mine copy on amazon.de a few days ago for only 25 Euro!
I was blown away by the fantastic sound. I never heard the album like that.
You also get a download ticket for the album. But the files are not MP3 they are in WAV.
So if you have the chance to get it, buy it - it's worth the Money. grinning smiley

25 EURO?!!!

Glad I initially held out...I think it was originally (over)priced at $50.00 and up (apprx. 47Euro).
Still gonna hold out though - maybe it will continue to drop?
For a double album though, 25 Euro is possibly as low as it will go - what a deal! thumbs up

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 25, 2016 20:45

Thanks NKB, Kowalski, and whitem8 for the advices. I'll go for it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 25, 2016 20:51

whitem8
It is the best pressing of the album I have heard and own. I have the orginial from 72 (England), Japanese import, and remastered (hack Universal), and this pressing. The most dynamic and deep sounding. Hear a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before. Very well done, with great packaging.

Everyone will have different views. In my opinion, it doesn't sound as good as the original UK or US versions that I have.

Date: December 26, 2016 00:36

What tips it for me is the pressing is higher quality than the original UK and US versions.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 27, 2016 09:33

Cristiano Radtke

180gm double LP, replica VERY LIMITED first pressing packaging with additional ‘obi strip’. Includes 12 original post card photographed by Norman Seeff.

This artisan process results in cuts that have superior high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images. In Short, a very high quality master that helps to create a very high quality record.

Album photography and concept by Robert Frank. Original colour printed inner sleeves.

Is there a video of this process?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 28, 2016 19:28

I've seen this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 29, 2016 12:41

To anybody who hasn't managed to get hold of a copy.

Don't feel too disappointed.

It's good...but not spectacular.

To my ears, the Abbey Road remaster betters any of the previous digital re-masterings but doesn't better the original UK/US pressing, nor the slightly more polite sounding Electrola pressings from Germany.

Doesn't quite win the proverbial cigar...I'd give it maybe a nice cheroot ;^)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-29 13:05 by Spud.

Date: December 29, 2016 20:23

I disagree. This master is the one to own. It is very dynamic and full. Very warm, with a lot of bottom end. Never before on any of the Exile pressings I own have I heard how important the horns are as a ryhthm force. This halfspeed mastering brings out far more of the midrange than any of the previous pressings without sounding brickwalled or compressed. It is a stunning revelation hearing the horns playing the rhythm on Tumbling Dice. Additionally, the guitar sound is far more defined with a wider range of low frequencies and high frequencies without any distortion. It is a stunning pressing full of wonderful discoveries.

Havine said that, I also think it depends on your system as well. This pressing is a perfect match for my system. Additionally, the pressing is flawless. Very quiet and detailed.

Date: December 29, 2016 21:23

Mmm.

I thnk it does sound jsut a little "brickwalled" .

It's very clear and "HiFi" but doesn't breathe like the 1972 original pressings from the then new master tapes.

And if you're looking for a nice horn sound and good separation between the instruments...have you heard the German Electrola version ?

It's not cut so hot and loses a little "slam" as a result...but it's a great late night listen when you're not allowed to turn it up smiling smiley.

[FWIW I listen via a reasonably well specced Linn LP12 ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-29 21:28 by Spud.

Date: December 30, 2016 06:39

I haven't heard the German Electra version. That sounds very interesting. I don't know. I just don't hear any brickwalling at all on this halfspeed master. I hear much more separation. More breathing space. But its in the ears and different ears hear different things. I would be interested in searching out the German version for sure. If you have a line on a copy let me know.

Date: December 30, 2016 12:56

This vinyl is made from the Stephen Marcussen remaster, the same that was used for the previous vinyl reissue and also for the 2010 CD reissue.

It's possible they used a higher definition or resolution for the digital master for the Abbey road studios reissue. Also, it's possible it's less limited than the CD version. But basically it's the same.

Date: December 30, 2016 17:49

It is not the same. It is done as a half speed master which changes things dramatically. They also did a straight digital transfer of the analog source with no brickwalling or compression.

Date: December 30, 2016 19:22

whitem8
It is not the same. It is done as a half speed master which changes things dramatically. They also did a straight digital transfer of the analog source with no brickwalling or compression.

Please read or re-read my previous posts in this thread.

And read also this link : UMe Abbey Road 1/2 Speed Mastered Series Update: We Ask the Tough Questions :

"Miles Showell, who oversees Abbey Road's 1/2 speed mastering responded recently to a series of questions I posed to him.

One thing he did clarify is that the 96/24 source used for the upcoming Exile on Main Street is the same one Stephen Marcussen produced for the anniversary box set. What's less clear is whether or not the unacceptable dynamic compression was added during the initial A/D transfer or if it was added when the box set lacquers were cut."

Date: December 30, 2016 20:19

Yes I have read dude. And my response is there doesn't seem to be any compression used on this mastering. I really don't hear any compresion what so ever. Very dynamic. It is a louder recording, but with no evidence of compression or distortion. Very clear, full and far more mid range, which many instruments are lost with standard pressing techniques. Reading thd halfspeed master process description it disscussing the wider frequency range that comes out. It is very noticeable on the mid range which brings out farm more brass rhythm.

Date: December 31, 2016 09:43

I think some folks are confusing loudness with dynamic range.

The dynamic range was compressed at some stage in the digital mastering.

There are no quiet bits ..only loud bits ! winking smiley

[That's what "brickwalling" does. ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 09:50 by Spud.

Date: January 2, 2017 21:55

I am not confusing dynamic range with volume. I am saying the album is louder than the other pressins I have, however, not due to brickwalling, and do hear more dynamic range. This is from the half-speed mastering process. There are definitely quiet bits on many of the songs, Let it Loose, Shine a Light, Sweet Black Angel, Torn and Frayed.

Date: January 3, 2017 11:30

There's definately a lot more dynamic range than is evident with the last universal re-issue.

I do think that the Abbey Road version is good...just not as good as it might have been if original analogue masters in decent nick had been available.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home