Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Please Help -- I ordered the new "Exile..." and I don't know whether the company is legitimate
Date: May 4, 2016 03:31

Hello Stones fans,

I ordered the new "Exile on Main St." from Abbey Road Studios in March. My credit card company and the e-mail filter is showing me that it is a fraudulent company. I have no idea whether this is true. The credit card company said it was from "Digital Stores" and that the payment of approximately sixty dollars was for a subscription service. Has anyone else here ordered this and had the same headaches? I thought I was just ordering a MFSL version of this album, but the company wants to bill me on a recurring subscription?

I'm afraid that I will have to cancel the order.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Re: Please Help -- I ordered the new "Exile..." and I don't know whether the company is legitimate
Date: May 4, 2016 03:43

I purchased it here. Is this a proper website for buying the new "Exile .." vinyl?

[shop.abbeyroad.com]

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Is there a subscription service/contract that one must enter into in order to simply purchase this album?

Re: Please Help -- I ordered the new "Exile..." and I don't know whether the company is legitimate
Date: May 4, 2016 04:23

Has anyone else purchased this new MFSL "Exile ..." release. I'm getting frustrated. I already have an original Japanese pressing (no OBI though). Maybe I don't need this new and improved one after all. Of course, anything from Abbey Road studios has to be cool. What should I do, guys? Risk it?

Check this out: This company also emailed me an attached PDF file of Terms and Conditions, which read like some awful layer wrote it. I read it through and through and saw no mention that I will be billed for a subscription. Nor in the invoice that this company emailed me did it mention anything about a subscription service.

Please somebody help me! Rockman, you are someone who is well trusted on this board. What do you think from Down Under?

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 4, 2016 04:32

charlesbaudelaire
I purchased it here. Is this a proper website for buying the new "Exile .." vinyl?

[shop.abbeyroad.com]

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Is there a subscription service/contract that one must enter into in order to simply purchase this album?

It looks like a legit website, so perhaps they have mixed up your order? On any case, you can cancel it and try to buy the record here: [store.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: May 4, 2016 04:36

And so the credit card company gives me the supposed phone number of the merchant, which it relates it 011 79 55 66 72. No 44 following the 011 for the country code. I tried to phone, but this lovely lady's voice greeted me and told me that it is not a working number. Somehow I had a hard time getting angry at the automated voice. She could have told me that she wanted to string me up by paws and eviscerate me, and I would almost have been fine with it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

I don't think that ordering from France would have been this difficult.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2016 06:59

Howdy Charles .... not sure I can be trusted down under ..hhhaa
BUT I ordered a couple of Exile copies from Abbeystore way back in December ...

When announced it received a number of comments on sites inc
Steve Hoffman's so I see no reason to not trust the Abbey Store ...

And I didn't receive any notice of subscription fee or any such thing ..
It's released in about 2 days and if it' sinks then we'll be swimmin' tagether Charles ...

But I'd say relax man all will work out fine ....

ROCKMAN

Re: Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:18

Please do post your hearing analysis of this new LP as soon as possible!

Thnaks in advance.

Date: May 4, 2016 17:25

Thanks, Rockman. I still don't know whether I will be charged for a subscription. I also received a pdf file of "Terms and Conditions". Pretty scary.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Date: May 4, 2016 22:20

aaaahhhh that's better Charles all will be well
... and even from down here I can tell that your heart rate has dropped considerably ...

ROCKMAN

Date: May 5, 2016 03:05

Thanks, Rockman and Cristiano. It dispatched today! I bet it's terrific!

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 5, 2016 03:59

It's great to hear that, charles. Enjoy! thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2016 04:03

Yeah!! ...dispatched Charles ... they're on the way ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2016 04:10

All this excitement...time to break out my beat up old vintage vinyl copy of Exile and give it a spin tonight!
As for you Charles - congrats and enjoy! You too Rockman! thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2016 07:56

Fanks Hairball ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 5, 2016 21:32

Can't wait to get this and spin it and compare it to the other pressings I have.

Date: May 6, 2016 04:55

The only other MFSL I would consider ever purchasing would be "Blonde on Blonde" or maybe "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake".

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:39

FYI, it's not a "MFSL" vinyl reissue. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab remastered some Rolling Stones albums in the past but Exile was never among them. They did all the 60's albums and also Sticky Fingers and Some Girls.
See here : [www.discogs.com]

This 2016 reissue is made by Abbey Road Studios and HD digital files are used as source for the vinyl (which, most likely, MFSL would never have used).

Date: May 6, 2016 15:23

You are correct about MFSL, however, I don't think you are correct about the HD digital files being used. The Abbey Road website says it is the analogue master tapes being used.
"Arguably the finest vinyl pressings that these albums have ever received, the half-speed remastering, cut from the original master tapes, has resulted in “superior high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images”, ensuring the best-quality sound available. Further care has been taken to create packaging that adheres to the same high standards, from giving each album its own individual obi strip, down to creating detailed artwork reproduction. Additionally, Exile On Main St comes with 12 original postcard inserts taken by Norman Seef, art director for the original 1972 pressing of the album, while The Police’s Ghost In The Machine features a replica of the original vinyl’s colour inner sleeve."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 15:30 by whitem8.

Date: May 6, 2016 15:34

whitem8
You are correct about MFSL, however, I don't think you are correct about the HD digital files being used. The Abbey Road website says it is the analogue master tapes being used.
"Arguably the finest vinyl pressings that these albums have ever received, the half-speed remastering, cut from the original master tapes, has resulted in “superior high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images”, ensuring the best-quality sound available. Further care has been taken to create packaging that adheres to the same high standards, from giving each album its own individual obi strip, down to creating detailed artwork reproduction. Additionally, Exile On Main St comes with 12 original postcard inserts taken by Norman Seef, art director for the original 1972 pressing of the album, while The Police’s Ghost In The Machine features a replica of the original vinyl’s colour inner sleeve."

Please read my previous posts in the same thread (on page 2) and you'll see I'm correct about digital files used as source for this new vinyl release.

Date: May 6, 2016 18:52

Yup read your post. I lifted my quote from the Abbey Road website. I do think they are using he digital transfer but as an analogue mix through a Digital Analogue conversion. So I do think this mix will be much different from the highly compressed and brickwalled masters used for the deluxe edition. Well I will know soon I hope! I will compare with my other three versions I have, the original pressing from 72 (not great quality though with pops and crackles), the Japanese Import from the 80s (Great quality! Pristine), and the deluxe version.

I see on the Abbey Road site the Exile vinyl is already not available! Must be sold out.

Posted by: peter ()
Date: May 6, 2016 22:22

EOMS was supposed to be in the stores today. Suddenly it has disappeared from the Abby Road website and Universals too. Distributors are scratching their heads as to what happened to their shipments. Anyone know what's going on ? Just wondering. Peter SF

Date: May 6, 2016 22:34

Well I received an email yesterday that it was shipped. So I am wondering if the pre-orders sold it out? ? ?

Date: May 6, 2016 22:51

Still strange that the Abby Road website would take off any info about the lp. Very strange.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: May 7, 2016 13:11

Universal charged my card when I ordered but I've got no word on shipment...

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 8, 2016 15:10

Mine arrived on Friday.

Satisfied since 1976

Date: May 10, 2016 07:05

Apparently it's still available from here : [shop.universalmusicenterprises.com]

"Only 250 copies available."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 07:06 by kowalski.

Date: May 12, 2016 23:39

I'm wondering how many fans have actually received this lp in the mail or have had any luck buying it through their local record shop. I asked several retailers here in the DC area to order it and they did. But not one shop has received a copy. And they say they can't even get a reason why from their distributors. As I mentioned earlier, it has been removed from many of the websites including Universal. Anyone have a clue to what's really happening. One site says it was pushed back until June 16. Never had a problem like this before.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 13, 2016 00:56

Maybe it is a marketing decision, not to release now, an wait untill next month.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 13, 2016 01:51

A friend of mine in Europe received his copy and ripped it using Audacity and sent me the files, it really sounds great to my old ears!smiling smiley

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: May 13, 2016 10:13

Article from Record Collector magazine - [recordcollectormag.com] - about this Abbey Road half-speed series.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home