Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 7, 2015 11:30

I've just read this on Rockerparis FB page (for those who don't remember, these guys provided us a lot of infos about the Stones' rehearsals in Paris last year):

180gm double LP, replica VERY LIMITED first pressing packaging with additional ‘obi strip’. Includes 12 original post card photographed by Norman Seeff.

This artisan process results in cuts that have superior high frequency response (treble) and very solid and stable stereo images. In Short, a very high quality master that helps to create a very high quality record.

Album photography and concept by Robert Frank. Original colour printed inner sleeves.

Exile On Main Street was released in 1972 and was The Rolling Stones’ 10th studio album. While some tracks dated from the sessions for their previous long player, ‘Sticky Fingers’, the rest were recorded in the basement of Nellcôte, a mansion leased by Keith Richards in the south of France after the band had found it expedient to leave Britain for tax reasons.

Although first received with mixed, hesitant reviews, ‘Exile…’ reached number one in the UK and the US, where it has also achieved platinum status and is now widely regarded as one of the group’s very best records. With Jagger’s vocals low in the mix and the sessions notorious for many participants’ prodigious use of narcotics and booze, the album should have been set-up for failure. Even Bill Wyman struggled amongst the chaos and therefore only featured on backing vocals on eight of its 18 tracks. Instead, the results were so powerful and enduring that the album eventually ended up at Number 7 on Rolling Stones Magazine’s Top 500 albums of all time.

The sleeve is famous for the collage of images taken from Robert Frank’s 1958 book ‘The Americans’. Characters used in the artwork include Joe Allen, “The Human Corkscrew”, a renowned contortionist from the 1950s and, perhaps most famous of all, Three Ball Charlie. Three Ball Charlie was a man able to fit a tennis ball, a golf ball, and a "5" billiard ball simultaneously in his mouth – a remarkable feat - and his image is the one that many people associate most readily with this unimpeachable rock classic.

[thesoundofvinyl.com]

Re: Exile on Main St. - New LP edition remastered at Abbey Road
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 7, 2015 11:45

As far as I remember, people were quite disapointed with LP sounding when Exile was reussied (in 2012 ?). Thus, it sounds like a good news.

Then, we could have two questions:
- how many times will we buy the same album ?????
- is it sounding better than the original pressing ????

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:09

Half speed mastering is not a great idea.
You tend to get a rather thin sounding product, lacking bottom end.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:13

Let's face it.

When you got tinitus because of too much loud music, this doesn't help much.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:14

The Joker
Let's face it.

When you got tinitus because of too much loud music, this doesn't help much.

thumbs up

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:05

Hopefully finally a good sounding reissue on vinyl...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:44

What format for the LP? Vinyl? It must be vinyl.

The 2012 reissue sucked because it was brickwalled.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:51

GasLightStreet

180gm double LP.

Date: November 7, 2015 17:02

Cristiano Radtke
GasLightStreet

180gm double LP.

180gm vinyl...

From what I understand if it was at 45rpm it would sound fantastic.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:04

unreal...there is obviously a market for this. how can they justify the cost of doing this over and over again if this doesn't sell at least several thousand units.

I wonder what the breakeven point is in terms of sales?

Date: November 7, 2015 17:10

treaclefingers
unreal...there is obviously a market for this. how can they justify the cost of doing this over and over again if this doesn't sell at least several thousand units.

I went to a vinyl pressing studio in Lawrence, KS and saw (vinyl) albums there that were brand new, pressed there, just waiting around to be sent somewhere. They get the artwork from whoever is distributing it - at the time it was still Virgin Records - and some copy of a master and from what they told me, it sounds just as good as the original regarding the quality of what they press.

They didn't make 1 million copies, they had maybe 20 of SOME GIRLS and 10 of STICKY FINGERS etc. Lots of bands. Made to order.

If someone will buy a used copy, someone will buy a new copy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:14

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

I went to a vinyl pressing studio in Lawrence, KS and saw (vinyl) albums there that were brand new, pressed there, just waiting around to be sent somewhere. They get the artwork from whoever is distributing it - at the time it was still Virgin Records - and some copy of a master and from what they told me, it sounds just as good as the original regarding the quality of what they press.

They didn't make 1 million copies, they had maybe 20 of SOME GIRLS and 10 of STICKY FINGERS etc. Lots of bands. Made to order.

wow...I guess the process has evolved somewhat, if you're able to make money printing and pressing only 10 copies of an album.

Date: November 7, 2015 17:41

It doesn't cost much. That's what people seem to not understand I guess. The mark up is strictly for profit. Otherwise they wouldn't bother. It's not costing them anything other than a couple of dollars to have a bunch - they had Beatles, Zep, Frank Zappa, Frank Sinatra, some I've never heard of, some Stones... just waiting to go somewhere.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:45

Wait till they say good things about it at stevehoffman.tv winking smiley

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 7, 2015 20:59

dcba
Wait till they say good things about it at stevehoffman.tv winking smiley

You might as well discuss this with your hairdresser!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 04:07

GasLightStreet
Cristiano Radtke
GasLightStreet

180gm double LP.

180gm vinyl...

From what I understand if it was at 45rpm it would sound fantastic.
The 45 masters sound fantastic. I have Blonde and Blonde MFSL 45 sounds amazing.
Half speed masters do not sound thin. They sound fantastic!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: November 8, 2015 13:45

Does it say anywhere if it's an analog cut or they are using the 2010 digital master as basis?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: November 8, 2015 22:26

In over 40 years, no one has ever been able to better the original vinyl pressings. The only thing that comes close is the somewhat obscure SACD from Japan, which was a flat transfer of the original UK tapes. Like many others, I bought the Virgin Records vinyl (on 180g vinyl) and the 2010 Universal vinyl - both are poor. Wait for reviews before buying.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 23:16

drbryant
In over 40 years, no one has ever been able to better the original vinyl pressings. The only thing that comes close is the somewhat obscure SACD from Japan, which was a flat transfer of the original UK tapes. Like many others, I bought the Virgin Records vinyl (on 180g vinyl) and the 2010 Universal vinyl - both are poor. Wait for reviews before buying.

Really curious as to your impressions of just what makes those two vinyl releases poor with respect to the original. I assume you've done some pretty good A/B comparisons. Thanks.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 03:31

I have Naturalists. I have a very good turntable and speakers and power. 500 watts. So I have from the 80s a Japanese import pressing on virgin vinyl. I also have an original UK pressing from 72 in very good condition, and the newer Universal deluxe box set. I would say from all of those, the Japanese import sounds best. Fantastic clarity, deep bass, and wonderful warmth. The Universal is very loud and crisp. A bit sterile and you can tell it is from the digital remaster. The 72 Uk pressing sounds good, but the vinyl quality isn't near as good as the Japanese import. Lots of pops and ticks. I swear the Japanese import I got back when I was in high school and still sounds amazing. Sounds pristine. I kept good care of my vinyl as a teen. Some OCD possibly.

I would imagine this new release is from the original analog masters. Reading the description, that would make sense. I will get it. It is a hobby. And it is fun comparing and contrasting the different versions with a full bowl and a good Claret.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 9, 2015 03:41

Thank you whitem8, that was just the kind of info. I was looking for! Gotta love the Japanese stuff in general, they know their fidelity.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 04:27

Ordered it.

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2015 10:17

Release Date 25 March 2016 .....Geeeeez why so longa wait???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: November 9, 2015 12:38

whitem8
I would imagine this new release is from the original analog masters. Reading the description, that would make sense. I will get it. It is a hobby. And it is fun comparing and contrasting the different versions with a full bowl and a good Claret.

Don`t know if I remember correctly:

I think they lost the analog masters and they used a mint vinyl copy to make the Bob Ludwig remasters? Does anyone remember these articles/interviews?

Tom

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 9, 2015 15:22

Interesting catalogue number !

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 9, 2015 18:59

vudicus
Half speed mastering is not a great idea.
You tend to get a rather thin sounding product, lacking bottom end.

I have a bunch of these from the early years of MFSL and disagree completely, they sound absolutely fantastic compared to their normal counterparts.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 9, 2015 19:02

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

wow...I guess the process has evolved somewhat, if you're able to make money printing and pressing only 10 copies of an album.

I have both of those from the original MFSL releases, as well as the Stones box set.

The box set I think was limited to 5000.

But the others I thought were like 100,000 or 200,000, basically because they only made one stamped plate from the master tapes and felt that was the amount the plates started to break down which would affect the vinyl.

Date: December 20, 2015 03:56

Interesting take on this reissue from Analogplanet.com : A New Exile on Main Street "Using the Original Analog Master Tape..."? Doubtful

Date: January 22, 2016 03:58

Now it's clear: the new reissue will be made from digital files : [www.analogplanet.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 22, 2016 04:04

I'm just gonna rely on the audiophiles here to tell me whether it's worth it....

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home