Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Reason's why Chuck should be a full fledged member of the band....
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2015 09:43

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust
South America then Europe and then the fat lady sings.... sad smiley

They'll be back in the U.S.A. before the fat lady sings...especially if a new album comes out. thumbs up

I hope you're right but lets face it the USA has been lucky with more than it's fair share of shows in the last few years. The last tour was a good one by all accounts and if there is even a little chance of them slipping somewhat I don't think the USA is where they'd want to take the risk of "less that stellar".

Charlie and Keith are the keys here, imo.

I don't see them slipping in the next year or so, and don't know why you would think they would be. Do you mean because of Keith and Charlies age?
And yes, the last USA Tour was a good one, as I'm sure the SA tour will be as well. Then Europe, followed by a return to the USA with a new album to promote.

Besides, it all boils down to whether Chuck wants to do it or not. cool smiley

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 8, 2015 10:20

Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust

They'll be back in the U.S.A. before the fat lady sings...especially if a new album comes out. thumbs up

I hope you're right but lets face it the USA has been lucky with more than it's fair share of shows in the last few years. The last tour was a good one by all accounts and if there is even a little chance of them slipping somewhat I don't think the USA is where they'd want to take the risk of "less that stellar".

I don't see them slipping in the next year or so, and don't know why you would think they would be. Do you mean because of Keith and Charlies age?
And yes, the last USA Tour was a good one, as I'm sure the SA tour will be as well. Then Europe, followed by a return to the USA with a new album to promote.

You called Charlie the wrong nickname...

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 10:42

Naturalust
Turner68
treaclefingers
Naturalust
Casting aside the humorous intent of the original post I must say...

Chuck and Darryl are as full fledged members of the band as Ronnie, Keith Charlie and Mick are. Just because they are hired as contractors in the business sense not marginalize their roles as important and necessary component to the Stones live music. Since when has the music been anywhere dependent or defined by business based roles and titles. Anyone who has ever been in a band can tell you how important the bass and keyboard players are. I actually find it down right silly and egotistical for the four core members to represent themselves as the Rolling Stones when they are in reality just four of 6 full time musicians required to play Stones music.

Don't believe me, take either one or both away from the Stones during a concert and watch the music fall apart. They are as integral and important to the music in 2015 as any other member, maybe more in some cases. The role of the 4 core members has more to do with celebrity, image and business...total BS that most musicians can see through after a single song.

I concur with everything you say Naturalust, with the exception of the point of the humorous intent of the original post as that leaves me befuddled and perplexed.

Sadly you are probably right. However the Rolling Stones have never been worse live than with chuck. I suppose I hold out hope they become a guitar band again for the first time since 81.

Well I thought they did a pretty good job keeping the guitars out front this last tour. They were LOUD man. Regardless of what Chuck was doing to hold it all together in the monitors, the FOH mixer kept him low enough in the mix that it sure gave the appearance of being a guitar band. Pretty sure this is the game plan from here on out, enjoy it while you can, this isn't going to last forever. Pretty sure the players that will be on the SA tour will be on till the end. I think Lisa was the last casualty we'll see in the line up. South America then Europe and then the fat lady sings.... sad smiley

50 and counting and this year were OK (very good for their age), but it's never been as raw since Chuck joined the band. So while I"m sure he contributes mightily, I think there are a lot of fans who realize that it's not really the Stones experience, it's more the "Stones Lite" experience.

I went with someone who was seeing their first Stones concert and first rock show in an arena. After the show they asked "is that really what a rock show is supposed to be like?" I had to say, no, not really... usually there are loud guitars and people don't sit down through half the show. Certainly it's a very different band from the one that toured in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Again, I say all this as someone who was impressed with the shows of the past few years. We should just be clear that since Chuck joined, the sound has been watered way down. He should not be blamed - the band takes responsibility for how it sounds - I am just explaining why some hope that they might one day try a different direction, one without awful keyboard intros and solos in songs that shouldn't have them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 10:45 by Turner68.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:52

Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust

Well that is undoubtedly true as it always was previously, just maybe a bit more dire as time goes by.

That said, if they're actually recording a new album, and even if it doesn't sell, if it becomes a critics darling/gets some grammy nods (which they may do just to fix the wrongs of the past) then I see this gravy train continuing.

A handful of shows over a 6 week period in various parts of the world.

Lots of money, low stress, ego boost, lots of time off in between shows, and in between tours.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:42

Hairball

Charlie's age and Keith's miles. I actually think one of the reasons for the Under The Influence documentary was that Jane realized Keith was starting to slip a bit and decided hey we'd better get some footage of him before it becomes too obvious. 2016 should work out fine, I'm just having a hard time imagining 2017.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:49

BreakingBlues
Hairball
Naturalust
Hairball
Naturalust

You called Charlie the wrong nickname...

smiling smiley

Well seeing as this is the Chuck thread (as in Leavell), I thought I'd give him an extra boost to his stature within the band aka 'the decision maker'.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:25

Chuck is the best instrument player on the RS stage....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 8, 2015 23:27

OH 6853...Oh Oh Oh

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2015 23:30

eye popping smiley

Date: November 8, 2015 23:34

pls support your opinion,, stones rule..

Date: November 8, 2015 23:45

His Majesty
eye popping smiley

He obviously meant the keyboards are the "best instrument" in his opinion. LOL

But if he actually meant "musician", in his defense he may not be far from the truth actually. While not exhibiting the best sound and style on stage with the Stones, and regardless of whether you personally like or approve of his role in the Rolling Stones, his ability to arrange, score, organize, play, sing and understand many forms of music certainly qualifies him as a solid musician, technically speaking of course. LOL

Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie have all praised his musicianship. I guess those are pretty good references, by anyone's standards.

Date: November 8, 2015 23:52

I said instrument player, ment instrument player, should have said musician, and ment a person who plays instrument, not necc composer, not necc singer, but basic solid musician. he and darrill and charlie are the basement of Stones.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 8, 2015 23:58

My eye popping smiley was a reaction to the original post. grinning smiley

Date: November 9, 2015 00:11

sorry.

Date: November 9, 2015 00:17

I said instrument player, ment instrument player, should have said musician, and ment a person who plays instrument, not necc composer, not necc singer, but basic solid musician. he and darrill and charlie are the basement of Stones.

I knew what you meant 6953 was just joking around a bit with the way you worded it.

But your post got me wondering what a mix of just Charlie, Darryl and Chuck would sound like. Would it still sound like the Stones? Would it be too tight or would it wobble like the rest of the band? Love to hear that!

Date: November 9, 2015 00:32

maybe a jazztrio ?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 9, 2015 02:33

Naturalust

I knew what you meant 6953 was just joking around a bit with the way you worded it.

But your post got me wondering what a mix of just Charlie, Darryl and Chuck would sound like. Would it still sound like the Stones? Would it be too tight or would it wobble like the rest of the band? Love to hear that!

I think you'd probably need Keith in it to sound Stones...but a fun ponder!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: November 9, 2015 02:35

he nose when to knot use apostrophe's.

Date: November 9, 2015 08:29

ponder = ?
astrophe's = ?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: November 9, 2015 10:43

He ain't British. As Keith once said, 'It's a British band.'

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 9, 2015 12:14

He can never, never, never, never become a full member of the Rolling Stones. He is not British. The Stones have enough regular members anyway.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: November 9, 2015 12:34

Nothing new in this thread so far.

Date: November 9, 2015 12:38

This funny thread may make the band consider about how long they have reached so far.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 9, 2015 18:25

this has to be the funniest thing i have read this morning .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2015 18:42

HMS
He can never, never, never, never become a full member of the Rolling Stones. He is not British. The Stones have enough regular members anyway.

Look man, Mick has been trying to sound American for 50 years, so there is precedence!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home