Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Lisa Fischer: Not this time
Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:22

Great shame. She is such a part of the touring band

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:30

I hope they won't bring in a guest singing Gimme Shelter for every gig, they should rather find a new background vocalist or sing it without a female vocalist.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:33

Maybe they will persuade Tina Turner to leave her home in Switzerland for a short break.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: November 6, 2015 22:37

I would welcome Gimme Shelter without duet..
It had become sort of boring.
Stones are not the kind of band for impressive vocal performance...
Nothing to lessen Lisa Fischer qualities, but this kind of opera thing in the middle of Gimme Shelter, the huge tune that last for seconds until she has no more breath.. This is not fit for the Stones, it’s for a crowd at the Olympics or for La Callas.
They aim at the middle, never pushing too far, or at least it’s the way I want them to stay... That is their genius..

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:08

Nate
If it's Celine Dion then I'm buying a front of stage ticket and a water pistol filled with something other than water.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Love it, he he!!

Re: Never get off the Stones boat...
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:13

dcba
Dean Goodman is going to cry in his beer tonight... >grinning smiley<

Haha

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:15

Mick wants to invite Shakira!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:20

Ok my reasons for thinking this may be Jaggers decision, absolutely no disrespect to Lisa who I certainly feel sorry for if her heart is aching and respect for being a part of the touring band for so long. I would normally be so direct about such a sensitive issue here but since bloomer and Hairball are directly asking me....

-Lisa's heart ache over something she claims is due to her own decision, who decides to break their own heart?
-Lisa's past history of cancelling solo shows whenever the Stones come calling
-Jaggers visible cringing during one of Lisa's over the top screams on GS this summer, don't mess with Mick man!
-Lisa's decreased performance as a supporting member of the band and her changing role as more of a solo diva on the Stones stage. Both musically and physically. She has walked on Mick's vocal many times by my ears.
-Probably easier to "allow her" to do her own thing that to tell her to cool it on GS and deal with a dissapointed band member the whole tour, I get the feeling Jagger has long realized her solo spot on GS not only didn't really fit the bill for a Stones show but marginalized the dark and spooky nature of the song itself as she smiles and stuts down the catwalk singing "Rape" and "Murder".
-Jagger watched Keiths Apollo performance and realized like I did that her voice doesn't blend with Bernard's very well at all.
-Less need to provide separate dressing rooms, private planes (not always but I heard a few stories) and other expensive amenities that Lisa has been afforded on every recent tour. Not a big deal but I'm guessing her "overhead" probably exceeds that of even Jagger himself.
-Her image doesn't fit the image Jagger want's to portray as well as it once did, maybe even more important for a place like South America.
-Her decision to announce it so late, although timed pretty well with the tour announcement, makes me think she might have been holding out for something like an offer for the Stones to buy her out of all her solo engagements. But that's just a wild guess and it could be exactly the opposite and she scheduled all these solo shows because she had a good feeling long ago that her time was up.
-Jagger has actually been listening to some of us here on iorr. LOL

In any case I could probably go on but I'd better stop there before I get in trouble.

To be clear, Lisa has my respect and sympathy and I believe she is probably a really lovely soul, this is purely speculation, one man's opinion and more business and musical related that anything. She has her solo career and a bunch of great venues lined up, I wish her all the success in the world!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:36

For everyone that bitches about the warhorses...

Now is the perfect time to drop GS from the setlist.

It allows for one more slot of mystery.
Or else shorter shows.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 6, 2015 23:56

If I may...

-Lisa's heart ache over something she claims is due to her own decision, who decides to break their own heart?
* It breaks her heart to have to pass this time.. Her solo career is finally flourishing and it is in her best interest/lifetime passion to continue...

* A big part of why she doesn't want to do it again.. she really has momentum now and a lot more commitments and fans she doesn't want to disappoint ..

-Jaggers visible cringing during one of Lisa's over the top screams on GS this summer, don't mess with Mick man!
* Good lawd, If someone lost their job every time Mick made a face or cringed at something during a performance, he'd be a solo act long ago..

-Lisa's decreased performance as a supporting member of the band and her changing role as more of a solo diva on the Stones stage. Both musically and physically. She has walked on Mick's vocal many times by my ears.
*Her increased stature amongst fans and band alike has been welcomed by all..

-Probably easier to "allow her" to do her own thing that to tell her to cool it on GS and deal with a dissapointed band member the whole tour, I get the feeling Jagger has long realized her solo spot on GS not only didn't really fit the bill for a Stones show but marginalized the dark and spooky nature of the song itself as she smiles and stuts down the catwalk singing "Rape" and "Murder".
*To think that Jagger wouldn't make changes to the arrangements and participation of the backup singers the second he deemed it necessary for -whatever reason- is ludicrous.

-Jagger watched Keiths Apollo performance and realized like I did that her voice doesn't blend with Bernard's very well at all.
Laughable; falls into the You can't be serious column.

-Less need to provide separate dressing rooms, private planes (not always but I heard a few stories) and other expensive amenities that Lisa has been afforded on every recent tour. Not a big deal but I'm guessing her "overhead" probably exceeds that of even Jagger himself.
More laughable... the costs are surely negligible and not begrudged.

-Her image doesn't fit the image Jagger want's to portray as well as it once did, maybe even more important for a place like South America.
That's what special guests have been for, and most long-time fans think she fits just fine thanks.

-Her decision to announce it so late, although timed pretty well with the tour announcement, makes me think she might have been holding out for something like an offer for the Stones to buy her out of all her solo engagements.
*She would never announce that she's not joining the tour before the tour is even confirmed/announced. Have you ever even met The Rolling Stones???[/i]cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 00:09 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:03

To be honest, I don't mind.
She has had her best moments.

Since 2007, her voice has been way below par.
Even on the 2005-2007 she was not the best.
Her appearance on GS.... more appearance than singing...

But, she was absolutely wonderful 1990-2003.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:06

Naturalust
Ok my reasons for thinking this may be Jaggers decision, absolutely no disrespect to Lisa who I certainly feel sorry for if her heart is aching and respect for being a part of the touring band for so long. I would normally be so direct about such a sensitive issue here but since bloomer and Hairball are directly asking me....

-Her decision to announce it so late, although timed pretty well with the tour announcement, makes me think she might have been holding out for something like an offer for the Stones to buy her out of all her solo engagements. But that's just a wild guess and it could be exactly the opposite and she scheduled all these solo shows because she had a good feeling long ago that her time was up.
-Jagger has actually been listening to some of us here on iorr. LOL

In any case I could probably go on but I'd better stop there before I get in trouble.

To be clear, Lisa has my respect and sympathy and I believe she is probably a really lovely soul, this is purely speculation, one man's opinion and more business and musical related that anything. She has her solo career and a bunch of great venues lined up, I wish her all the success in the world!

NL, most of what you've got here is projecting your own opinion onto Jagger, but I appreciate that you waited until page 2.
I think MisterDDDD is much closer to the truth....I still say it's Bernard's breath. grinning smiley
In any case, I wish her well. I am sure she will be missed by the band as well as the crew.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:08

Oh I hope they don't drop GS from the setlist. This is my favorite warhorse
and never tire of it. I had no problem with Lisa but a new vocalist may prove
quite interesting for the dark vibe of the song(as previously mentioned above).

My guess is Lisa had to promise the venues who booked her that she wouldn't cancel no matter what the stones are doing. Once she can get away with but twice
could be bad.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:18

24FPS
Jeez. Is it that big a deal, for whatever reason? 26 years is a long f-ing time to be on any one gig. Maybe she's made enough dough that she can afford to do her own thing, finally. Were making such a big thing over something so insignificant to the overall history of the band. The people who REALLY mattered spent much shorter periods of time with them. Honestly, I see backup singers as interchangeable. I think they can find somebody new to go 'Woo Woo' over Sympathy every night.

Ditto for me. She had a good run. It's time for her to pursue her other interests. I'm sure she socked away some of that money and life is too short to not enjoy yourself in your later years. Good on ya Lisa. You were a consummate professional.

Date: November 7, 2015 00:21

swimtothemoon
quite interesting for the dark vibe of the song(as previously mentioned above)

My guess is Lisa had to promise the venues who booked her that she wouldn't cancel no matter what the stones are doing. Once she can get away with but twice
could be bad.

Or the MT version, a guitar solo playing the line.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:22

Or maybe Lisa finally found shelter ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:25

mtaylor
swimtothemoon

could be bad.

...with MT!

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: November 7, 2015 00:25

Bring back Cindy Mizelle!

Date: November 7, 2015 00:26

swimtothemoon
mtaylor
swimtothemoon

could be bad.

...with MT!
thumbs up

Date: November 7, 2015 01:00

Of course you may DDDD, these discussions are what make this board interesting but I hope you don't mind that I added more of my opinions below.

MisterDDDD
If I may...

* It breaks her heart to have to pass this time.. Her solo career is finally flourishing and it is in her best interest/lifetime passion to continue...
Perhaps true but she could have easily scheduled these solo shows after the tour and not passed on a gig that probably pays here more and provides even more PR and name recognition for her solo efforts.

* A big part of why she doesn't want to do it again.. she really has momentum now and a lot more commitments and fans she doesn't want to disappoint ..
Momentum created by in large by her work with the Stones and certainly not something that would be slowed down by more work with them.

* Good lawd, If someone lost their job every time Mick made a face or cringed at something during a performance, he'd be a solo act long ago..
Perhaps only true for the core members of the band, I haven't seen him visibly effected in a negative way by ANY of the supporting musicians, quite likely the very reason they play it so safe and don't ever attempt to stand out.

*Her increased stature amongst fans and band alike has been welcomed by all..
Not true of course, have you not heard people here and elsewhere being not so welcoming concerning the "increased stature"? If you haven't you haven't been paying attention. Read the esteemed Dean Goodmans show reviews if you don't believe me.

*To think that Jagger wouldn't make changes to the arrangements and participation of the backup singers the second he deemed it necessary for -whatever reason- is ludicrous.
Really? You don't think Mick might not be a bit reluctant to tell Lisa to cool it when she has become so damn happy and indentified with her solo spot on GS? It would break her heart something nobody wants to do and something perhaps even his English sensibilities might even prevent him from doing so very easily.

Laughable; falls into the You can't be serious column.
Don't make me post that performance so you can try to objectively analyze the way Lisa and Bernard sounded together that night winking smiley although I admit it was a bit of a joke to assume that is when Jagger had figured this out just because it's precisely when I did.We don't often get to hear just them together, I imagine Mick has more opportunity.

More laughable... the costs are surely negligible and not begrudged.
Yes this is a bit of a stretch but it probably didn't help her cause. I'd guess it cost more than she is spending or being allowed for he solo shows, by a long shot.

That's what special guests have been for, and most long-time fans think she fits just fine thanks.
It was just my opinion, I certainly don't think I can speak for most long time fans, but I understand how you feel

-Her decision to announce it so late, although timed pretty well with the tour announcement, makes me think she might have been holding out for something like an offer for the Stones to buy her out of all her solo engagements.
*She would never announce that she's not joining the tour before the tour is even confirmed/announced. Have you ever even met The Rolling Stones???[/i]cool smiley
Well she pretty much announced it by scheduling all the solo shows by some accounts. No doubt they all knew the time window for the SA tour, those tentative plans were made long ago. But the whole context of my assertion actually indicates that it could have been for other reasons. And no I've not met The Rolling Stones, I've only met Keith, over 30 years ago if that's what you are asking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 01:02 by Naturalust.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:07

MisterDDDD
-Probably easier to "allow her" to do her own thing than to tell her to cool it on GS and deal with a dissapointed band member the whole tour, I get the feeling Jagger has long realized her solo spot on GS not only didn't really fit the bill for a Stones show but marginalized the dark and spooky nature of the song itself as she smiles and stuts down the catwalk singing "Rape" and "Murder".
Really? You don't think Mick might not be a bit reluctant to tell Lisa to cool it when she has become so damn happy and indentified with her solo spot on GS? It would break her heart something nobody wants to do and something perhaps even his English sensibilities might even prevent him from doing so very easily.

Yeah... if Jagger got rid of people as easy as Mr. DDDD suggests, Chuck would've gone out the door a while ago...

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Date: November 7, 2015 01:10

BreakingBlues
MisterDDDD
-Probably easier to "allow her" to do her own thing than to tell her to cool it on GS and deal with a dissapointed band member the whole tour, I get the feeling Jagger has long realized her solo spot on GS not only didn't really fit the bill for a Stones show but marginalized the dark and spooky nature of the song itself as she smiles and stuts down the catwalk singing "Rape" and "Murder".

Yeah... if Jagger got rid of people as easy as Mr. DDDD suggests, Chuck would've gone out the door a while ago...
Chuck has nowhere else to go. That's the problem. Stones, unfortunately are stuck with him.
By the way, Chris Stainton is free on the market now Clapton has retired...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 01:13 by mtaylor.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:19

mtaylor
swimtothemoon

could be bad.

Agreed, but they would NEED MT back in the game for it to work effectively.
Otherwise, a train wreck.

Date: November 7, 2015 01:21

BreakingBlues
MisterDDDD

To be fair to MisterDDDD the only real quote by him is the one in italics. And like I said above, it's possible the very reason Chuck, Darryl and others tend to play it safe is so they don't stand out and risk the unwanted attention of Sir Jagger. Lisa certainly couldn't be accused of playing it safe for a while now. Billy Preston is another example of someone who was possibly cut for standing out too much.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:31

I blame the band's musical director Chuck Leavell,he didn't like her upstaging him......

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:34

Naturalust
Darryl and others tend to play it safe

I'm starting to hear live versions of Miss You as I type. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:48

Rokyfan
what some have speculated, that it was Mick's decision, which would have been for reasons of looks, not sound, no?

No.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: November 7, 2015 01:56

this is great news for me.....i personally haven't cared for her opera/gospel sheiks since early in the licks tour.....who will really miss her horrid high notes ruining satisfaction.....nice lady.....but her voice is long gone

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: November 7, 2015 02:09

This is the Rolling Stones tour, not the Rolling Stones with Lisa Fischer. I don't pay thousands of dollars to see her. We'll survive.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 02:16

I presume from the discussion no one thinks she's being replaced.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home