Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Lisa Fischer: Not this time
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 8, 2015 14:08

Straycat13
[youtu.be]

Wow...at 1:56 I thought it was Whitney Houston...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 8, 2015 15:23

Maybe they are forced to play more guitar on Gimme Shelter ... and that would be an advantage ...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2015 16:29

BreakingBlues
treaclefingers
BreakingBlues
treaclefingers
BreakingBlues
ab
It's another case of life imitating Spinal Tap: she'll be no more missed than Ross McLoughness or Ronnie Pudding or Denny Upton.

But seriously, Lisa Fischer has made an important contribution. But the show goes on. And I'm sure it will be just fine. The Stones have survived other personnel changes, and they'll survive this one. This ship's unsinkable!

That's what they said about the Titanic...

Well this isn't exactly the maiden voyage my friend. This ship's tested many a turbulent water through the decades.

Well... you got me there. smiling smiley

yes.

But I wriggled out of your grasp on the Chuck Leavell thread! winking smiley

I just became a bit weary...with a couple of cups of coffee I'll get back up to speed!

Date: November 8, 2015 18:08

Lisa was a big part of the show so I will miss her presence, although her voice and her appearance have deteriorated in the past few years. I don't think she has been "blondied", they need someone in that role. MICK will be more excited with a young hot Latino singer on board. That's my guess.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:26

MingSubu
roller99
When I interviewed Lisa earlier this year, she alluded to perhaps working on an album of her own. She also states openly that she doesn't come here and read all the negative comments about herself. I don't blame her, because all the people who bitch here are just a bunch of bitches. Unless you are an African-American backup singer around the same age, you should not criticize her. Just because someone is in the public eye, doesn't mean that your comments don't hurt. You get out there and see how hard it is.

Interview with Lisa Fischer

What a load of crap. I guess if your not an African American woman of her age you cant praise her either.

Oh come ON. Just say black like the rest of the world. White people don't run around calling themselves European-Americans...

I've seen a few times where people have said they don't like her but I don't ever recall it being critical in the sense of, say, Chuck Leavell. What, is she some kind of mental dainty little thing and would collapse and never perform again if she read something critical? You think someone like Chuck Leavell would curl up and die if he read what is said here about him? Or The Eagles? Or Jimmy Buffett? Or Keith Richards? Or Mick Jagger? Or Gene Simmons? Or anyone else if they read what people said about them?

Sometimes I think people read more into things, for example, "I'll miss flying on a Lear jet", as being spoiled. Who wouldn't miss it?

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: November 8, 2015 18:46

Lisa is a lovely and great person; always a great and reliable singer. She did stellar versions of GIMME SHELTER (Düsseldorf 1998!!!). During the last concert on that tour in 1999, Cologne, some daughters of band members appeared on stage and Lisa war around them like a mother. I´ll never forget that particular moment.

From a wider point of view… How did Keith sum up the last 50 years: “There is the moon, the sun and the ROLLING STONES!”

In this context, Lisa was nothing but a shooting star in the sky.

Priest

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 8, 2015 19:03

roller99
When I interviewed Lisa earlier this year, she alluded to perhaps working on an album of her own. She also states openly that she doesn't come here and read all the negative comments about herself. I don't blame her, because all the people who bitch here are just a bunch of bitches. Unless you are an African-American backup singer around the same age, you should not criticize her. Just because someone is in the public eye, doesn't mean that your comments don't hurt. You get out there and see how hard it is.

Interview with Lisa Fischer

Well said.
Thank you.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 8, 2015 19:34

I read something somewhere about some South American audience members being aggressively rude toward female performers -
throwing things at them, booing them, etc. I can't remember what the recent incident was
but could that have anything to do with the decision that Lisa wouldn't be on this leg of the tour?

Date: November 8, 2015 19:36

with sssoul
I read something somewhere about some South American audience members being aggressively rude toward female performers -
throwing things at them, booing them, etc. I can't remember what the recent incident was
but could that have anything to do with the decision that Lisa wouldn't be on this leg of the tour?

well, in reading some of the unfortunately critical posts on this thread I'd say they probably had already figured out a way in handling that, so it must be some other reason.

Date: November 8, 2015 19:40

Handling that might not be the issue, though - maybe Lisa wanted to show solidarity
with whoever it was who recently got mistreated. A sort of boycott.
(Could someone remind me who it was who recently had to leave the stage or cancel a tour or something?
I vaguely recall two incidents in quick succession, but not who the targets were.)

Date: November 8, 2015 19:43

Well that would be unfortunate if that were in fact the case. But I think if it were Lisa might actually stand up and state that, as a matter of protest.

Unfortunately, I'd go with some of the other issues already identified.

I think if we see an alternate singer taking her place then we may assume we won't see her again.

If it's only Bernard on backup maybe we'll see her on the next leg, but no guarantee.

Date: November 8, 2015 19:49

OK treac, your opinion is duly registered.
The Stones might not want Lisa to announce a personal boycott, which might offend people who aren't the culprits.
And I'd still like to hear from someone who remembers the relatively recent incidents I'm talking about.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:05

with sssoul
The Stones might not want Lisa to announce a personal boycott, which might offend people who aren't the culprits.
And I'd still like to hear from someone who remembers the relatively recent incidents I'm talking about.

I recall Justin Beiber got a pretty poor reception in Argentina and I think I do remember a recent story of a female artist getting a hard time in South America, maybe it will come to me.

But I don't think Lisa in her role as a backup singer would have much solidarity with either of those causes actually, she gets to hide behind the HUGE popularity of the Stones. But since you bring it up in these terms, I wonder if there was any sign of the SA audiences not appreciating her during the Stones last trip down there, perhaps during her GS solo spot?

Date: November 8, 2015 20:13

with sssoul

probably the same reason why Lisa wouldn't create her own personal boycott.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:17

they should have used her more, not just in background singing but as a front singer as well, she is fantastic singer and very charming. The ageing Stones need her.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:22

The ageing Stones need her.

Musical crutches is the last thing Mick wants for the band. Unlike some other bands they haven't detuned their instruments to Eb to make Mick's job easier (he wouldn't have to sing this high), they do'nt use pre-recorded tapes etc etc

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 8, 2015 20:50

She is a gifted singer, but got too comfortable in a cosy, undemanding gig. That's a lesson for us all. You have to leave the nest at some time, and hopefully it's not too late for Lisa, who turns 57 (I think) next month.

She should have quit when the documentary was red-hot, two years ago. It was sad to see her decline, and super-annoying to see her heralded by the stone-deaf, politically correct masses.

If she's not personally responsible for the Stones' descent into a cabaret act, with camp renditions of GS and SFTD, she was at least a willing conspirator.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 21:01

Been waiting to read your post on this subject Dean. Just about what I expected and well said as usual. I guess we'll find out in South America just how responsible she was for the way they played GS and SFTD, if they decide to keep them in the set list.

I'm actually very curious if they'll get some new female vocalist and take the same approach, drop GS all together or try to take the song back to the dark depths where it was born and in my opinion belongs. My guess is they will try the latter with mixed results.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 00:58

TooTough
Straycat13
[youtu.be]

Wow...at 1:56 I thought it was Whitney Houston...

That's what I thought, too, TooTough. Uncanny resemblance.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 9, 2015 01:09

I'm expecting to see one or two young, beautiful, talented female singers supporting the songs in the background. They need it to round out the sound, and Mick needs company.confused smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: November 9, 2015 04:10

I just had a most dreadful thought .....mick has decided to drag in that swift taylor 'thing' to take her place.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2015 05:30

Don't worry tumbled, ain't gonna happen for a variety of reasons - one being that her price demand would be way too high for Mick.

I would expect at least one replacement though, probably an unknown but highly skilled singer in the same way Lisa was when she originally joined them.

Looking forward to what changes are in store.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 9, 2015 05:59

tumbled
I just had a most dreadful thought .....mick has decided to drag in that swift taylor 'thing' to take her place.

I get that you don't like her music (and Hairball says, the chances of this happening are zero, in any case). But to refer to her in that way is pretty offensive, given that I assume she's done you no harm. Respectful criticism IS possible.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: November 9, 2015 06:09

Don't understand how anybody could criticize Lisa Fischer. She has totally delivered as a singer for 25 years, performing as directed by Mick. Good luck to her in whatever direction she heads, & THANKS.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: November 9, 2015 06:30

Maybe she just wants to do her own thing. She's been labeled as being part of the Stones for so many years. Now it's her time to shine on her own. Maybe nothing more than that but we may never know. So, best to wish her luck and thank her for all the good memories and hard work over the years with the greatest band in the world.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 9, 2015 06:45

Why not just close this thread since no one seems to know the real reasons behind this except for Lisa's short statement? Otherwise this thread will be ten pages of pure speculation. Do we need that?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 9, 2015 07:42

Stoneage
Why not just close this thread since no one seems to know the real reasons behind this except for Lisa's short statement? Otherwise this thread will be ten pages of pure speculation. Do we need that?

thumbs up

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: November 9, 2015 09:40

I texted Lisa the other day and asked if the decision not to go on the Óle tour was her's or the band's and last night she replied with a one-word answer: "mine." So, there is the definitive answer and you can now all end the speculation that it was because of money, her age, or the quality of her singing, etc.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 11:46 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 9, 2015 10:04

TornAndFried
I texted Lisa last night and asked if the decision to not go on the Latin American tour was her's or the band's and she replied with a one-word answer: "mine." So, there is the definitive answer to that question and we can now all end the speculation that it was because of money or her age or the quality of her singing,etc.

I'm torn between being amazed that you have Lisa's phone number and an inclination to dismiss this as a load of crap...

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 9, 2015 15:06

Lisa Fisher is a very talented singer that also sings other genres of music beautifully. She is regulated to what Mick Jagger and Keith Richards want her to sing and how. Obviously they like it, no matter what people criticizing her think. It only matters to the Stones ears. She was not able to select her own material, even from the Stones catalogue. She was trotted for decades to duet on " Gimme Shelter". As hardcore Rolling Stones fans that scurtize every aspect of their lives and music people were tired of her singing Gimme Shelter. I am sure she was bored with it as well. But, their are thousands of fans that never heard her live are impressed with her voice. It's obvious from the You Tubes I've watched. She is incredibly talented with a five octave range that no doubt wants to do different things. In the end it only mattered what Mick Jagger and Keith Ricards wanted. It's their music and they trusted her with their music for over 2 decades. Like Liza, its time to move on.I wish her the best in whatever she does!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home