Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: Lisa Fischer: Not this time
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 7, 2015 12:10

The guys will be in their mid-seventies next year. The likelihood for her joining them the next time around is very small. Both for another tour and her joining them again.

Date: November 7, 2015 12:20

You wanna bet, Stoneage? smiling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 7, 2015 12:52

Stoneage
The guys will be in their mid-seventies next year. The likelihood for her joining them the next time around is very small. Both for another tour and her joining them again.

Perhaps she is getting off the bus in a high postion to demand top dollars for her solo shows.
"Hey, I'm missing out on the SA tour. you'll have to compensate for that" ($$$)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 7, 2015 12:58

Kurt
For everyone that bitches about the warhorses...
Now is the perfect time to drop GS from the setlist.

Or re-arrange it as a "guitar-only" song! thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 7, 2015 13:14

I hope Lisa's well and content with the way things are working out.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2015 13:22

Wonder if that was another decision by the Stones' "Director of Business Affairs"...we know she speaks to the ear (wallet) of Mick.

I know Lisa's been getting a bad rap here but I was thrilled to be right next to the catwalk in 2013 and 2014 and see her strut by during GS, definitely a highlight of the show.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: November 7, 2015 13:43

Maybe they can ask Sarah Dash instead, who did two great tours with Keith and is an exellent singer (and of the same age as the rest of the bandwinking smiley).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 13:45 by GJV.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 7, 2015 13:50

Yes hope this a happy and mutual decision not a firing! Judith Hill would be good

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:12

Her solo tour is going strong; my wife and one of her friend went to see Lisa in Rockville md. The show at the Stratmore was sold out and they said it was great.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: golfjen2001 ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:24

I have always enjoyed her both with stones an on her own she always seems to love her work an people having a good time. Hoping replacement isn't Taylor Swift.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:32

rollmops
Her solo tour is going strong; my wife and one of her friend went to see Lisa in Rockville md. The show at the Stratmore was sold out and they said it was great.
Rock and roll,
Mops

That's good to know, Mops, I couldn't make it the Strathmore show.

In the shows I've seen over the past several years, I thought Lisa was great and the audience always responded well to her turn at GS. All the casual fans I went with mentioned her solo spot as one of the highlights.

If we're talking image, I think the fact that she is not a youngster meshes well with the bands persona now. Everyone on stage is at least into their 50's now, to have some hot young singer up there flirting around Mick during GS would look out of place, though I imagine he would love it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:34

exhpart
Yes hope this a happy and mutual decision not a firing! Judith Hill would be good

or Marianne Faithfull.
Jeroen

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 7, 2015 14:43

With the success of the movie "20 feet from stardom" it is possible that she has been adviced to prioritize her solo career. Saying "no" to the Stones is also a daring move.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:30

I believe it comes down to money in the end. She surey loves to tour with the Stones but she would have to buy herself out of 16 shows during february and march. And she may have to pay her musicians and maybe a roadie and a tour manager even if she cancels the shows. I checked out some (not all) of the venues and those i looked at have a range from 600 to 1800 seats, if she can fill up this venues it possibly will make her more money than the stones pay for eight weeks (two weeks rehearsals, six weeks touring). Remember her production is very small, using the sound and light systems available in the venues anyway. I don't know how much the Stones pay her, but if she tours with the Stones she may end up with a lot less money compared to doing her own tour (plus maybe a bad reputation in the promoters scene for being unreliable). Thats why she had to make that decision, if she likes it or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 16:33 by firebird.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:33

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
I don't recall. But there are times when one possibly can't take everything seriously. Perhaps that was her mindset. "Whatever, heard this before". Who knows.

She's got a career outside of singing backing vocals for the Stones. It is what it is.

you mean, it was what it was. it is no more.

There you go again, past tensing things up.

Date: November 7, 2015 16:37

Let's say Mick did fire her.

That won't be public. It would be a friendly, short story.

Obviously that's not what happened. Her solo career happened.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 7, 2015 16:39

firebird
I believe it comes down to money in the end. She surey loves to tour with the Stones but she would have to buy herself out of 16 shows during february and march. And she may have to pay her musicians and maybe a roadie and a tour manager even if she cancels the shows. I checked out some (not all) of the venues and those i looked at have a range from 600 to 1800 seats, if she can fill up this venues it possibly will make her more money than the stones pay for eight weeks (two weeks rehearsals, six weeks touring). Remember her production is very small, using the sound and light systems available in the venues anyway. I don't know how much the Stones pay her, but if she tours with the Stones she may end up with a lot less money compared to doing her own tour (plus maybe a bad reputation in the promoters scene for being unreliable). Thats why she had to make that decision, if she likes it or not.

But she never would have scheduled them if she had not known she was not going with the Stones. Surely she knew about the SA tour way before she scheduled these. We knew, and she is an insider, not dependent on rumors It looks to me like she was let go first (or she decided on her own she didn't want to go, we still don't know whose choice it is), then her shows were scheduled.

Speculation that they will not do GS without her is silly, as is the idea she will not be replaced. Likely with someone half her age and size. Likely the reason behind it all. Just my opinion.

Date: November 7, 2015 16:43

Rokyfan
firebird

But she never would have scheduled them if she had not known she was not going with the Stones. Surely she knew about the SA tour way before she scheduled these. We knew, and she is an insider, not dependent on rumors It looks to me like she was let go first (or she decided on her own she didn't want to go, we still don't know whose choice it is), then her shows were scheduled.

Speculation that they will not do GS without her is silly, as is the idea she will not be replaced. Likely with someone half her age and size. Likely the reason behind it all. Just my opinion.

I agree, but we don't know when the Stones dates have really been fixed. Remember how late the last tour was announced. Maybe the Stones tour was planned to start a few weeks later at first...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 16:45 by firebird.

Date: November 7, 2015 16:47

Rokyfan

Exactly, why is everybody here reducing her to GS? Show some respect

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 16:53 by firebird.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:06

GasLightStreet

I disagree...I think she was blondied.

Date: November 7, 2015 17:24

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

She certainly wasn't leavelled.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2015 17:25

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

She certainly wasn't leavelled.

that's because of an inability to grow facial hair.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: November 7, 2015 18:12

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

Maybe she was Macked!

Date: November 7, 2015 19:08

Was this previous tour her...last time? cool smiley

Okay, you can groan and throw tomatoes at me now. winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 7, 2015 20:42

Not that is all that important but some other evidence that points to Lisa not giving up the Stones gig on her own accord are her own words about how much she values (and even prefers) her role as a back up singer. A quote from an article about 20 feet from stardom:

"But it is our own Lisa Fischer who is the reluctant star of the film, which is so very ironic because she was one of the few back up singers who profess not to want to be a star in her own right. She explains how she loves her career harmonizing with others.

“Part of the beauty of it is that you’re invisible,” Lisa told me in her suite in the Peninsula Hotel when the Stones were performing in Chicago, before the Oscar nomination. “It’s not about you. It’s about being selfless, and that to me is the most joyous thing.”

[www.loveyouliverollingstones.com]

But let's not forget the Lisa that fit in so well and did a great job with the Stones for years:

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2015 21:34

Naturalust
Not that is all that important but some other evidence that points to Lisa not giving up the Stones gig on her own accord are her own words about how much she values (and even prefers) her role as a back up singer. A quote from an article about 20 feet from stardom:

"But it is our own Lisa Fischer who is the reluctant star of the film, which is so very ironic because she was one of the few back up singers who profess not to want to be a star in her own right. She explains how she loves her career harmonizing with others.

“Part of the beauty of it is that you’re invisible,” Lisa told me in her suite in the Peninsula Hotel when the Stones were performing in Chicago, before the Oscar nomination. “It’s not about you. It’s about being selfless, and that to me is the most joyous thing.”

But let's not forget the Lisa that fit in so well and did a great job with the Stones for years:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 21:35 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2015 21:36

MisterDDDD
Naturalust

That's somewhat dated information..
After that film she made a serious attempt at a "strange alchemy from support singer to Chanteuse"...

Her open letter from the last tour (see below) provides some insight I think. It really does appear to be (her) business related as she has stated many times now on social media. With what we know of Lisa, why try to make her a liar? She's getting some success on her own and loving it. No reason to believe she's lying.

From before the Zip Code tour...
"A MESSAGE FROM LISA FISCHER
... I offer you my deepest apologies for any and all inconveniences I've caused you. Please know that I don't take your kindness and support lightly. Its a rare a beautiful gift to have a second chance in this fragile music realm, and I thank you for taking a chance on me at this curious time in my life.

As I go through my strange alchemy from support singer to Chanteuse I realize I have so much to be thankful for. Again for your support and for everyone and everything that has brought me to this point.

The Rolling Stones have been such a beautiful fabric of not only my musical life, but of my whole Being... I've watched their children have children, been there through thick and thin...and, as dysfunctional as this may sound, they are like family to me. When they reach out to me for vocal support, it goes beyond the music. It goes to the flow of so many delicate and personal things that can't be measured or put into words...

With a sincere heart...

Lisa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2015 22:01

It is true that Lisa going solo is against the things she said in 20 FEET FROM STARDOM - if it is up to her own will to give up about the best possible background singer post in the business in the favor of her own solo career.

But then again, the very (great) document itself might be the very reason that she might now use her given opportunity to really shine on her own. She really was the star in that movie, and I am sure she made an impact on people who weren't solely familiar with her due the Stones connections (which alone makes a nice potential audience). Now - or never - is her moment.

Be the reason whatever - she jut got tired, Sir Mick got tired, money, or whatever - she has been a big part of The Rolling Stones for that 25 years or so. During the years she really made herself much bigger than 'just' an anonymous background singer and the lady occasionally singing the tough parts of "Gimme Shelter - she was Lisa Fisher, a personal part of the whole package we all know and recognize and admire. One of them. I admit that I belong to the portion of people who has thought during the on-going celebrational tour that probably her presence isn't any longer as needed as it it used to be - some sort of tireness in the air especially in regards her spot on "Gimme Shelter" - but damn, she saved many tours before that! So many times and years she added sexiness, talent, soul and difference many times to otherwise 'boring' autopilot shows!

So thank you Lisa for all those years, and all the best for your doings from now on! You deserve best!

This is maybe her most memorable moment captured with the band ever (and probably the best thing the band has done for the last 25 years):

(supposed to be "Gimme Shelter" from Paradiso '95)

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-07 22:08 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 7, 2015 22:35

Now to think of it, it is a bit sad to realize that of teh band I saw in Stockholm last year, three members are now gone. Surely the people in South America will get helluva shows, but the personal touch Taylor, Bobby and Lisa had and added to the excitement, just can't be covered up. Of the people really adding their own flavor to the show, I think those three persons were the most important next to Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ron. Even though Chuck and Darryl have a bigger and more important role in the whole, neither of them had that personality of those three to add something distinctive to the cake. Most likely there will be a new "Lisa", as there was new "Bobby" - and Taylor was just an extra addition - but they are only filling the shoes created by real originals.

- Doxa

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 7, 2015 23:28

That's well put Doxa.. those three did indeed add their own flavor to the shows! But over the years there have been many such folks, Stu, Nicky, Billy Preston, even Jim Price, in the end it always comes down to the core group of 4, something we are constantly reminded of and when any of them are gone, that will be the true time for sadness.

Too bad Talyor doesn't sing more cause there may just be a bit more room for him over on stage right this time around. I'm sure there are many SA fans who would love to get the opportunity to see him guest like we did a few years back. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home