Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Does Bill get his full royalty?
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 4, 2015 03:02

With all the Vault releases? Figure he should and certainly deserves it. LOVE hearing him on Tokyo 90

Re: Does Bill get his full royalty?
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 4, 2015 03:11

Presumably he'll get something for playing.

Although doubtless it won't be anywhere near enough to sustain him:

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Olly.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 4, 2015 03:16

Jeez, I think, somehow, I could LIVE off the Stones royalties if need be. May need some part time still. Half price employee Rabies vaccines can't be beat

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 4, 2015 07:15

I just kind of assume they don't get much for those. Maybe I'm way off.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 4, 2015 07:51

Are you Bill's accountant or financial planner?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 4, 2015 08:28

He wrote 'In Another land' soooooooo....yes...for each and every sold copy of 'Their Satanic...'

2 1 2 0

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 4, 2015 09:50

I have no clue how the royality payments are decided but Bill was on all the
classic albums so maybe Bill is just being modest. I hope so.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 10:04

My parents last year gave me a book of the Stones' notated music of songs from 1963 - 1971 that includes IN ANOTHER LAND. There's a royalty for Bill!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: November 4, 2015 10:59

Songwriters get most of the royalties - at least in the past. Sales of LPs delivered some money, but now I guess downloads and CDs deliver not a lot - all the money is in touring.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 4, 2015 13:23

Ive read in a number of journals that the Estate of Brian Jones only generates an income of around £20k per annum. When you think that his period of 1963/69 has generated the most in terms of back royalties this seems very small.
Of course it could be that the Estates "cut" is less than, for example Bill's. Maybe different terms were/have been agreed by the various parties.
One can only speculate what royalty rate the group get. For the ABKCO period, I guess the record company have the complete upper hand. For the post 1971 period the group can renegotiate and if necessary take the product elsewhere...has has happened of course over the years. Universal distribute ALL their work now, but whether that helps matters, not sure.
I'm sure Bill will have been very methodical in whatever arrangements were made when he made his exit. I recall he had his own individual book- keeper in the old days, hence his familiarity with bank balances, as shown in Stone Alone.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:04

What about all the royalties from all Bill's solo albums? That could sustain a small country surely?

(a very small country)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:25

it's not hard to do the math.

we know how many units sold of, say, GRR and how much it cost
we know roughly the band's cut
we know what % of GRRR wyman was on.

(ditto Sticky Fingers)

If you sketch out the numbers, it ends up not being much money.

All the money is in touring these days.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:46

I never understand stories like this. People lie him should have earned enough money during his career to now be living off the interest. They always forget that part in these stories.

I saw Jagger say in an interview once that he just spends what he wants and his financial people tell him when its time for him to make more money. How is that possible.,

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:49

stanlove
I never understand stories like this. People lie him should have earned enough money during his career to now be living off the interest. They always forget that part in these stories.

I saw Jagger say in an interview once that he just spends what he wants and his financial people tell him when its time for him to make more money. How is that possible.,

i know both types of people. there are just different styles and ways of thinking - e.g. some people learn better visually and others verbally.

i don't understand it either.

mick's comment is telling though - when the impetus behind a new tour or album is your accountants telling you it's time to make more money, the quality might not always be there eye popping smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:51

When Rolling Stones Records was formed and all the PromoGroup companies along with it, the Stones were able to guarantee themselves a huge stake in the record sales pie. After costs of production, marketing and distribution are covered I believe they split the remaining sales profits equally between the members. It's not really a royalty in a strict sense of the word since they owed all the product they were selling. I think sales profits is a better description in their case.

Anyway, I tend believe if Bill wasn't getting his 1/5 or 1/4 shares of those profits we'd all have heard about it by now. Bill doesn't seem like the type who would keep quiet about such things. smoking smiley

Posted by: chop ()
Date: November 4, 2015 17:59

Bill Wyman's Net Worth is $80 million. Guy is whizzing around with a gold plated metal detector. He's doing a-ok.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:10

Bill should collect his equal share of the copyright (if their copyright is in fact the deal; for example, if they don't own the broadcast of the Hampton PPV then they don't have equal shares in the copyright of that video release - at least, that's my understanding).

Based on record sales of the past, well, probably since 1994 when the last large amount of purchasing reissues was most likely occurring, he hasn't and doesn't make much from these reissues or video releases since they don't sell enough to generate a ton of money in copyright shares and royalties. Maybe over the course of their lifetime he might get $100 for it all...

Mick and Keith make the performance royalties from radio, jukebox, any streaming services etc for the songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-04 18:11 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 4, 2015 18:50

When they reached a settlement with ABKCO in 1972 the five original members got around £1million ,I believe. This covered record royalties.
Mick and Keith between them received the same amount again for their song publishing.
So on that basis, for example,Keith's composing royalties were worth five times his income from records.
I suspect the ratio is significantly greater now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 4, 2015 22:33

Bet ya he often dreamt of nailin' a piece of royalty ..... Hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:39

..and don't forget the money each time a record or track is played on the radio via Performing Rights (PRS) There are also fees from internet stations if they're not pirates

Was wactching a proggie on tv a while back - they were saying how lucrative airplay was a close on £70 a spin. I presume that is all stations, as a two tier syten would be unfair....

Then all the merchandise crap..

Phelge's Stones [www.jamesphelge.com]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:46

Turner68
it's not hard to do the math.

we know how many units sold of, say, GRR and how much it cost
we know roughly the band's cut
we know what % of GRRR wyman was on.

(ditto Sticky Fingers)

If you sketch out the numbers, it ends up not being much money.

All the money is in touring these days.

Elaborate, please.

What are these figures and how do you know them?

Olly.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 5, 2015 01:55

He could always write another book...but perhaps work a little harder in promoting it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2015 01:57

nightskyman
He could always write another book...but perhaps work a little harder in promoting it.

yeah, because Bill's the hardest working man in show business.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: November 5, 2015 07:38

It's very simple...

When he split the Stones...he got a flat buyout from the group...
which he probably thought was a great deal...not realizing they are still going
strong 22 years since his departure. And if he got at the time a $22 million
buyout or some crazy number like that...when you are living at that level...it is easy to see how he can burn a million a year for the last 22 years.

As Joe Walsh from the Eagles most famously said on the Howard Stern Radio show when his career was in the toilet and he was doing overnight radio in the early 1990's before the Eagels reunited in 1994...Howard was so surprised that the lead guitarist of The Eagles with all their hits had to take an overnight DJ job...Howard asked what happened to all his money...his response...
"It costs a lot of money being rich"...one of my favorite quotes of all time!

So the only royalties Bill Wyman gets is his writer publishing income for "In Another Land"...and none of us on this board including Bill Wyman can live off of that.

$.091 X 50% X 2,000 copies a year in the U.S = $91.00...can't buy a lunch for 4 at Sticky Fingers!

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-05 07:46 by Pecman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 5, 2015 11:48

Pecman
It's very simple...

When he split the Stones...he got a flat buyout from the group...

PECMAN

Interesting... so he severed ties with the band including financial ones. They can use his image without his consent? Release new stuff he played on without giving him one penny?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 5, 2015 13:41

Rockman
Bet ya he often dreamt of nailin' a piece of royalty ..... Hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa

I really think YOU should be the next captain Tigue in the following Pirates of the Caribbean, Rockman. smoking smiley

Date: November 5, 2015 13:48

good idea ... What they payin' at the moment ??

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 5, 2015 14:22

Rockman
good idea ... What they payin' at the moment ??

Probably not more then just around 90.000.000 $

Date: November 5, 2015 14:36

....okay I'll fink about it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 5, 2015 14:37

Bill seems like a saver to me...I bet he has plenty of cash, despite all his complaints.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home