Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Drive-by Truckers "It's Great To Be Alive"
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 31, 2015 01:44

Listening to the cd now (actually 3 cds for under $20!). This is a great document of a band at the height of its powers. Songs from all phases of their career. This is wonderful stuff. "Angels & Fuselage" literally gives me goosebumps. Get this now!smoking smiley

Re: OT: Drive-by Truckers "It's Great To Be Alive"
Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 31, 2015 09:56

I like DBT. I follow them since many years. One of the best "new" american band

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: October 31, 2015 16:55

I love it! Huge DBT fan. Would have been awesome if there was a dvd of the same name. Mike Cooley is my generation's Keith Richards.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2015 17:42

I love DBT but the newest LP is a bit flat and I've yet to get this 3 disc live LP.

They sounded great right after Jason left (I never heard them with Jason and they started back up on what I guess was the very last leg of the A BLESSING AND A CURSE tour in spring 2007 after he had been fired, it was about 4 or 5 shows), actually, and they sounded good on BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK, THE DIRT UNDERNEATH and THE BIG TO-DO tours. I've missed their shows since.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 31, 2015 19:00

Great live set, good sound and nice overview of their career. Saw last week in Memphis where they put on an incendiary show and will see them in two weeks. My favorite "new" band for some time now, very few bring it like DBT. Jason wasn't fired, he was ready to go solo when he left, much like his ex-wife, Shonna Tucker. There is a recording of a great acoustic set by Jason, Patterson, and Mike they did for a benefit. It can probably be found on the threedimesdown website in the live recordings. Highly recommended. Jason is doing quite well on his own, in fact, we will see Jason three days before we see DBT.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: October 31, 2015 19:07

Been loving this band since I lived in Athens, GA 20 years ago. They were amazing then and they still rock the house now.

I love the Cooley songs on every album. Few bands have to top-notch lead singers -- three when Jason Isbell was with them for that great run.

T@3

Date: October 31, 2015 20:57

I've been into this band since "Southern Rock Opera" came out but somehow had never managed to see them until last spring. One of those deals where something always came up or I was out of town when they were here. Finally saw them do an acoustic show that was awesome. 2 sets. Usually that would be too much acoustic for me but that wasn't the case with them. They did a really great cover of "Ooo La La" during the encore. I am hoping for an electric show in Seattle in the near future!smoking smiley.

PS: on the Wilco site "Via Chicago", I proposed a tour with the working title "Great Songs With Guitar". It would be an all day/nite affair outdoors with everyone doing nice, long sets. The lineup:
Neil Young with Promise of the Real
Wilco
Drive-by Truckers
My Morning Jacket

Maybe with a B stage with some up & coming bands. I would travel & pay good money for that one! Would be really good at someplace like the Gorge in Washington state. You could have quite an incredible jam at the end with all the talent I'm talking about. Is a good dream.

Date: November 3, 2015 05:55

Marry Me is one of my favorite riffs from any band. Gravity's Gone is one of my favorite lyrics ever.

PS - Anyone a fan of The White Buffalo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 05:56 by JohnnyBGoode.

Date: November 3, 2015 10:09

JohnnyBGoode
Marry Me is one of my favorite riffs from any band. Gravity's Gone is one of my favorite lyrics ever.

PS - Anyone a fan of The White Buffalo?

Both of those songs are on the new cd(s). I will have to check out the White Buffalo. From reading your posts think I can trust your recommendation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 14:30 by crholmstrom.

Date: November 3, 2015 14:12

The White Buffalo is another dandy. We caught him twice in Sept. and were blown away both times. First time we saw him was a couple of years ago at a Harleyfest and we had no idea who he was (never really watched Sons of Anarchy), but we had some time to fill. He came on and it was "Oh my!" He can go from upbeat rock to spooky death dirges in quick succession.
That Harleyfest also featured three bands (ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult and Doobie Bros. among many other acts) who each played songs I had seen them play forty years ago...Holy Stones twist!

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:47

Wow. I'm new to this board but was kind of shocked to see a Truckers thread on a Stones board, let alone one on the new live album! Huge DBT fan and I think the new album is brilliant. They knocked it out of the park, great sound quality and the layout is about all you could ask for out of a 3 hr DBT show these days.

As far as Marry Me- it is an awesome riff. Hope it doesn't ruin it but someone just recently pointed out to me its very similar to the Eagles 'Already Gone' But screw it, its a rocker and Cooley is the man! I ran into him in Boulder before a show at the Boulder Theater and told him I thought he was the 2nd coolest guy in rock after Keef. I was pretty buzzed so Cooley just kind of laughed it off.

Date: November 3, 2015 17:04

As Patterson says, Cooooooley.

Marry Me is hilarious. And a kickass tune. Where The Devil Don't Stay and Carl Perkins' Cadillac are awesome. Gravity's Gone is good. 3 Dimes Down is fantastic, so is Self Destructive Zones. The rest of them... it's work. Some of his tunes are... I dunno. Grating? Difficult to listen to? He captures Keith's spirit sometimes while also managing to channel Willie Nelson's talkability for singing other times. Then there's the occasional kind of churp grunting he does, like on Shit Shots Count.

I've had the opportunity to hang out with those guys a couple of times. They're just as down to Earth as any dude that likes Van Halen or Led Zeppelin or the blues or Lynrd Skynrd etc.

I got into them around 2003 with DECORATION DAY. THE DIRTY SOUTH blew the doors off though. In the time between those I got SOUTHERN ROCK OPERA and figured it all out - they like the jank. PIZZA DELIVERANCE and GANGSTABILLY are fantastic. I mean, beeeeeesides, them there are highway mahls!

Date: November 3, 2015 18:00

What do yall think of this lineup? Anyone on the Three Dimes Down forum?

www.threedimesdown.com

Date: November 3, 2015 18:13

Marry Me
video: [www.youtube.com]

Gravity's Gone
[www.youtube.com]

Honky Tonk Women
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 18:16 by JohnnyBGoode.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:15

Yeah, I'm on the 3DD forum and have met a lot of those characters over the years.

Date: November 3, 2015 19:38

The band members, past and present, have always been friendly to fans. Fave Cooley songs would be Daddy's Cup, Birthday Boy, Carl Perkins, Space City, Where the Devil, 72, Checkout Time and Whiskey w/o Women. What about Hood songs? Living Bubba, Sinkhole, Pauline Hawkins, Drag the Lake, Ronnie and Neil, Steven McQueen, etc. Jason and Shonna also have tossed in their share of great tunes. Superlative band. The KR comparison really doesn't fit because of the songwriting split and Cooley is a better singer.

Date: November 4, 2015 11:44

Definitely a fan friendly band. I seem to gravitate toward bands like that. For instance, they allow taping at their shows with few restrictions. & keep their costs down for music, tshirts, tickets to realistic levels. I do not love spending $35-40 for a tshirt. Some other bands that operate in a similar way that are amongst my faves are Wilco & the Flaming Lips. I really like how DBT handles the 2 songwriter situation. As much as I like Jason Isobell, it got a little busy when he was in the band. I think that has worked out for the best for both parties. I can't get this new cd out of my player. So many great songs done in a most excellent manner. "Grand Canyon" is stunning. I'm glad I got so many responses to this thread. Just trying to spread the word about worthy new music!smoking smiley

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 23:35

Huge DBT fan here. Love the 3 CD set but really wish Self Destructive Zones would have made the set. The live version of SDZ is much better then the studio version. Also wish they would have throw in the back to back Buttholeville/State Trooper. But they couldn't include them all!

Date: November 5, 2015 00:20

My dream setlist:

1. Buttholeville
2. Shit Shots Count
3. Girls Who Smoke
4. 3 Dimes Down
5. Runaway Train
6. Self Destructive Zones
7. Aftermath USA
8. Gravity's Gone
9. Do It Yourself
10. One Of These Days
11. Mercy Buckets
12. Marry Me
13. Drag The Lake Charlie
14. When The Pin Hits The Shell
15. The Righteous Path
16. Guitar Man Upstairs
17. The Southern Thing
18. Hearing Jimmy Loud
19. Puttin' People On The Moon
20. Where The Devil Don't Stay
21. Everybody Needs Love
22. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
23. Dead Drunk And Naked
24. Birthday Boy
25. Let There Be Rock

Full on rock show. Of course, I would take these songs in any order!

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 5, 2015 00:36

DBT is great. Have seen them several times. I do miss Jason Isbell, however he also is a good live show on his own and has done some nice solo work.

Danko/Manuel on Live from Alabama is perfect.

Date: November 5, 2015 01:56

It may be apples to oranges considering how long Isbell's been solo but his solo albums are all really good, some are insanely great, the last two without a doubt. Their context seems to be more solid than DBT's recent output starting with BRIGHTER THAN CREATION'S DARK but that's subjective in itself.

Date: November 5, 2015 03:05

crholmstrom
Definitely a fan friendly band. I seem to gravitate toward bands like that. For instance, they allow taping at their shows with few restrictions. & keep their costs down for music, tshirts, tickets to realistic levels. I do not love spending $35-40 for a tshirt. Some other bands that operate in a similar way that are amongst my faves are Wilco & the Flaming Lips. I really like how DBT handles the 2 songwriter situation. As much as I like Jason Isobell, it got a little busy when he was in the band. I think that has worked out for the best for both parties. I can't get this new cd out of my player. So many great songs done in a most excellent manner. "Grand Canyon" is stunning. I'm glad I got so many responses to this thread. Just trying to spread the word about worthy new music!smoking smiley
At the Memphis show, you could get a free, signed(band and Wes) Wes Freed print of your choice if your merch bill hit $100 - yes, I won. Now we have the Memphis poster and the Fall tour poster, wheee.

Date: October 1, 2016 02:42

Saw DBT last night & they were amazing. 31 songs over 2 hours 45 minutes with no encore break. Setlist covered whole career with emphasis on "American Band". That's a fine thing. The more I listen to that record, the more I'm convinced that its album of the year. Go see them if you get a chance. You'll be a fan afterwards if you aren't already.

Date: October 1, 2016 19:36

crholmstrom
Saw DBT last night & they were amazing. 31 songs over 2 hours 45 minutes with no encore break. Setlist covered whole career with emphasis on "American Band". That's a fine thing. The more I listen to that record, the more I'm convinced that its album of the year. Go see them if you get a chance. You'll be a fan afterwards if you aren't already.

Could not agree more about the album! Looking forward to seeing them on this current tour. Did they play Kinky Hypocrite?

Date: October 1, 2016 21:05

JohnnyBGoode
crholmstrom

Could not agree more about the album! Looking forward to seeing them on this current tour. Did they play Kinky Hypocrite?

yes. quite the setlist!

Filthy and Fried
Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
Surrender Under Protest
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Ever South
3 Dimes Down
That Man I Shot
Ramon Casiano
Sun Don't Shine
First Air of Autumn
What It Means
Birthday Boy
The Righteous Path
Women Without Whiskey
Baggage
Zip City
A World of Hurt
Gravity's Gone
The Company I Keep
Marry Me
Lookout Mountain
Once They Banned Imagine
Let There Be Rock
Kinky Hypocrite
The Bitch is Back
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Hell No, I Ain't Happy-->
Sign O' the Times-->
Hell No, I Ain't Happy

Date: October 4, 2016 12:31

free & legal tape of the seattle show on archive.org. a good 1!

[archive.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home