Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith article in Guitar world
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: October 30, 2015 14:06

Here's the article

Guitar world

and another one

Electric Guitar buzz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 14:08 by Roadster32.

Re: Keith article in Guitar world
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2015 14:12

Way cool! Thank you

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:11

Putting off my chores and tripping out on Guitar World link this a.m. I found this paragraph in Keith talking about Exile:

But every party has its price and painful morning-after hangover. And on October 1, 1971, burglars got into Nellcôte and made off with somewhere between 11 and 17 guitars (accounts vary), purportedly in retribution for money not paid to dope dealers who had been supplying guests at the villa. For Richards, the memory is especially unpleasant.
“When they put the documentary together for Exile, they showed me some footage, and there I am, holding my favorite stolen guitar, a 1964 Telecaster. It was like, ‘Oh baby, don’t rub it in.’ There she was. Had a lovely sound. I just got used to that one, you know? I can play almost any Telecaster, but the more you play just the one, the more it becomes attached to you. I almost went into a blank after the guitars were stolen. I didn’t want to think about it. But I slowly started to build up a new collection since then. I haven’t lost one since. I learned my lesson: don’t leave them hanging around on a Saturday night!”

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:22

Thanks Roadster! Confirms my suspicion about the Fender Champ but who would have guessed about some of the other odd amps and instruments used on the record. Love the story about how Pierre modified the tiple to make it an 10 string open G instrument. Looking forward to the complete article when it comes out.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:30

The Champ is a fantastic amp! I've had two in my lifetime. I forget what happened to the first one but I found another one. Seems they're not easy to find since I've only ever seen 2 and bought them...

That one amp sounds very interesting, with the Halo, but it probably costs a tad much...

Date: October 30, 2015 16:41

GasLightStreet
The Champ is a fantastic amp! I've had two in my lifetime. I forget what happened to the first one but I found another one. Seems they're not easy to find since I've only ever seen 2 and bought them...

That one amp sounds very interesting, with the Halo, but it probably costs a tad much...

Yeah the secret has been out about the Champs for quite a while now. I think Neil Young probably has the largest collection of them on the planet. They are still around but the days of picking them up for a reasonable price are long gone unfortunately, at least for the 50's and early 60's tweed ones. Last one I saw had a $2000 tag on it!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2015 16:44

35love
I learned my lesson: don’t leave them hanging around on a Saturday night!”

... or don't mess with Corsican drug dealers... smoking smiley
They're tougher stock than British rock stars.

Date: October 30, 2015 16:53

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

Yeah the secret has been out about the Champs for quite a while now. I think Neil Young probably has the largest collection of them on the planet. They are still around but the days of picking them up for a reasonable price are long gone unfortunately, at least for the 50's and early 60's tweed ones. Last one I saw had a $2000 tag on it!

Yikes. That's crazy. I think the first one I got was for about $200. That was in 1991 or so. The second one I got in 2005 and although I didn't pay for it - I didn't even buy it, it was a trade in that was a complete joke - it's price was somewhere around $475 or so.

Unknown to the music store the person that had brought them the amp had replaced the speaker with a Realistic speaker. I played through it. It sounded like an AM radio station. I said "Ehhh, this is wrong". They had no idea what I was on about. "It sounds wrong. It's the wrong sound". That got fixed in about 5 minutes.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 30, 2015 17:28

What's the Exile documentary that he mentions?

Date: October 30, 2015 17:33

Koen
What's the Exile documentary that he mentions?

Stones In Exile

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 30, 2015 17:44

GasLightStreet

Are you talking about Tweed champs, or just Champs in general, being rare?

Neil Young has a big collection of Deluxes, not Champs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-30 17:47 by MingSubu.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 30, 2015 18:26

35love
"But I slowly started to build up a new collection since then. I haven’t lost one since.”

... Well, if you don't count the ones that got burned up or otherwise disappeared.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 30, 2015 21:38

His psych les paul custom was in someone else's hands for awhile, then he, supposedly, asked for it back. grinning smiley

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: October 31, 2015 00:22

Is Keith on front-cover of this magazine? can we have a good scan of this cover please? Thanks!

Date: October 31, 2015 17:45

MingSubu
GasLightStreet

The only 2 I've ever seen were silver faces. I guess I've not noticed or seen tweed Champs.

Date: October 31, 2015 17:47

I know this if off subject but it will make sense: wouldn't it be wonderful if the Stones as well as, say, Keith's website, had this kind of thing on it?

Some really nice info:

[www.billyduffy.com]

Date: October 31, 2015 18:07

Some Champs on ebay.

[www.ebay.com]

Keith on cover of new Guitar World
Posted by: glimmertwin50 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:50

If this hasn't been mentioned, Keith is the cover feature in the holiday 2015 issue of Guitar World magazine (entitled "Chief Keef!").

Re: Keith on cover of new Guitar World
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 10, 2015 16:21

Yup, it sometimes happens..

2 1 2 0

Date: November 10, 2015 18:52

Thanks for the links.

Love seeing Keith on the guitar mags. I just wish the articles were new. Not something we have heard a million times already.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 10, 2015 19:03

MingSubu
Thanks for the links.

Love seeing Keith on the guitar mags. I just wish the articles were new. Not something we have heard a million times already.

Are you seeing this MingSubu?

Chief Keef

Lots of interesting new stuff from Keith's guitar tech Pierre.

Date: November 10, 2015 19:35

Hairball
MingSubu
Thanks for the links.

Are you seeing this MingSubu?

Chief Keef

Lots of interesting new stuff from Keith's guitar tech Pierre.

I spoke way too soon. How embarrassing. Thank you for pointing that out. Now that was a great read!!!

Date: November 10, 2015 19:55

MingSubu
GasLightStreet

Neil has a bunch of Champs too! I've seen them.

Date: November 10, 2015 20:56

If you say so. Cool

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 10, 2015 22:24

GasLightStreet

This is a Watkins Joker.
Keith played one on a few shows in 2007.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 10, 2015 22:36

Date: November 10, 2015 22:56

MingSubu
If you say so. Cool

Of course Neil has a lot of Deluxes too! But in his barn studio he has an amazing collection of vintage gear. Other amps I've seen there are an old tweed Bassman, a couple twin reverb and several old Gibson amps (not sure the models). The place just smells of old amplifiers. smoking smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:20

Naturalust
MingSubu
If you say so. Cool

Of course Neil has a lot of Deluxes too! But in his barn studio he has an amazing collection of vintage gear. Other amps I've seen there are an old tweed Bassman, a couple twin reverb and several old Gibson amps (not sure the models). The place just smells of old amplifiers. smoking smiley

So you've been in the barn?!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 12, 2015 23:40

MingSubu
Some Champs on ebay.

[www.ebay.com]

Most of those are not Tweed Champs - which is what Keith uses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 23:42 by Koen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1245
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home