Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy 69th Birthday Peter Green
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:38

Absolutely the finest blues guitarist Britain ever produced.....

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Happy 69th Birthday Peter Green
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:46

One of the greatest blues guitarist.
The supernatural rocks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 13:50 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:34

He was certainly a vital component of the second British blues boom. He's not mentioned newly frequently enough when the top-guitarists are being debated. Didn't B.B. King once proclaim him to be the 'greatest' he had 'ever heard'?

Happy Birthday, Peter Green

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:43

In agreement with Roryfaninva
Peter Green, the finest blues guitarist this country ever produced and by a long distance too.
Anyone in doubt should purchase the Fleetwood Mac Boston Tea Party set or seek out the 1970 BBC In Concert set by Fleetwood Mac. Green was astonishing until his personal problems got the better of him. Sadly much of his finest work is largely to be found on the plethora of unreleased concerts and radio sessions from 67 to 70. Brilliant in the studio but more so in live performance.
Also a brilliant songwriter and singer and with Danny Kirwan in the Mac led the finest guitar double act from Britain - yes better than Keith and Mick T.
Happy Birthday Peter.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:58

Yes, in most of the top guitarist polls he has been in the top five or so.
So talented, he could have gone musically in many directions. It was the end of the acid dream(1970) as fas I was concerned, along with Brian Wilson probably the saddest casuality of the drug era.
I have met the chap who wrote an official biography in the 1990s. One Martin Celmins, he writes for many blues journals and was doing a biography of Rory Gallagher, not yet seen the light of day.
I asked Celmins why he didnt refer more to Peter's mental illness (schizophrena) in the book. From what I recall it was out of respect to Peter and his family.
Still, a good read and I would think the most comprehensive acount to date.

Danny Kirwan is as elusive as error, but still alive I believe, he hasnt had the same level of support (or maybe didnt accept it) as Greenie has received. Nor the royalties of course.

Jeremy Spencer, the other member of the infamous trio is stll gigging,recording and is now based in Ireland. He moves around a lot, lets just say.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 19:28

Happy Birthday Peter!

Agree RoryFaniva - the best, bar none.

smileys with beer

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 29, 2015 19:32

This live version is a masterpiece.
He is also a fantastic singer.

Fleetwood Mac - Jumping At Shadows (Live in Boston).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 29, 2015 20:35

Diary of a Band John Mayall

I vaguely remember an interview on the album with Mayall being asked "whatever happened to Peter Green your fabulous English guitarist...is he dead?"

or is that my imagination

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 20:37 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 29, 2015 20:49

That Man put so much feeling is his playing.........and a great balmy* voice too

* need explanation: I did try to find the right word translated from my own language not sure if it's correct

Posted by: glen ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:04

reg thorpe
Diary of a Band John Mayall

I vaguely remember an interview on the album with Mayall being asked "whatever happened to Peter Green your fabulous English guitarist...is he dead?"

or is that my imagination

Happy Birthday Peter, he certainly isn't dead, he bought my old house on Canvey Island about 10 years ago.

Pretty much a recluse nowadays spending much of his time between Essex and Scandanavia.

Such a great talent who apparently fell out of love with music.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:10

the man of the world documentary is really good.

I love the blues era/kirawn FM.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 30, 2015 01:27

First time I'd heard of Peter Green was via Judas Priest and their version of Green Manalishi! Strange they would cover an old Fleetwood Mac song as well as Joni Mitchell's Diamonds and Rust. Both are great covers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home