Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The problem of abuse
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 01:17

StonedInTokyo
NICOS
Maybe we all should add our Email address in IORR profile........just to show that your not that anonymous cool smiley.......and if you have a problem you can fight out your "misunderstanding" through email

Generally speaking, online forums like this record ip addresses from where a post originates. They could track you down thru your ISP if they cared enough.

right... because the manager at starbucks knows exactly which IP address is being used by which customer in which chair on their wifi network... :-)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2015 09:18

Maybe spinning is a better word than trolling? I think the Crosseyed Heart thread is an example of that. Two or three posters are trying to boost that record well above what's reasonable.
The same with some of the Taylor threads. Those threads should, of course, be taken with a pinch of salt. That is the only sound way of reading them.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 29, 2015 10:53

Stoneage
Maybe spinning is a better word than trolling? I think the Crosseyed Heart thread is an example of that. Two or three posters are trying to boost that record well above what's reasonable.
The same with some of the Taylor threads. Those threads should, of course, be taken with a pinch of salt. That is the only sound way of reading them.

The MT thread is a bit different insofar as, for some time, a number of the people posting in it regularly (and thus propelling it along) were trolls attacking Taylor in the hope of provoking acrimony and forcing BV to shut it down.

Date: October 29, 2015 11:08

How can one boost a brand new Keith-record beyond what's reasonable? We were starving for new Stones-related music, and voila – we got a great double album by Keith. I really can't see why people who enjoy it can't talk of what they feel when listening to it – where else should they do it? Who decides what's reasonable.

Post your opinion in that thread, even though it differs from the ones who praise it. But by just saying «it's crap» or «you're exaggerating», without any explanation, you might not be taken seriously. Or post in another thread if you think the praisals take off too much to your liking.

The Mick Taylor thread is a totally different story. It is not one thread - it consists of lots of threads, hence lots of different discussions. Very few of the heated discussions in that thread have to do with Taylor. It's when the comparisons and downgrading of other band members start the heat turns on in there.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2015 14:34

' We were starving for new Stones-related music, and voila – we got a great double album by Keith. I really can't see why people who enjoy it can't talk of what they feel when listening to it – where else should they do it?'
(unquote)

Thank you. This year (all of 2015, really) the RS have brought true joy to me, and IORR board to finally share and learn even more about my long love of the Stones. The release of CH has been a bright spot in my life, and such is life in general, the bright spots were sorely needed to keep trudging the good road.

This is off topic and the opposite really of abuse, but wanted to genuinely state it's impact on me, here is some positive.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:11

35love
' We were starving for new Stones-related music, and voila – we got a great double album by Keith. I really can't see why people who enjoy it can't talk of what they feel when listening to it – where else should they do it?'
(unquote)

Thank you. This year (all of 2015, really) the RS have brought true joy to me, and IORR board to finally share and learn even more about my long love of the Stones. The release of CH has been a bright spot in my life, and such is life in general, the bright spots were sorely needed to keep trudging the good road.

This is off topic and the opposite really of abuse, but wanted to genuinely state it's impact on me, here is some positive.

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:20

I usually quickly notice what people who are genuinely interested in music while many, of course, in my opinion, has a taste that needs to be discussed, but it does nothing, music interest is the important. Then there are those who write and write and write about everything but what is interesting, namely music, and, in particular, The Rolling Stones and its band members ' music. I personally never feel distressed by those who write a lot of crap.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:53

Come On
I usually quickly notice what people who are genuinely interested in music while many, of course, in my opinion, has a taste that needs to be discussed, but it does nothing, music interest is the important. Then there are those who write and write and write about everything but what is interesting, namely music, and, in particular, The Rolling Stones and its band members ' music. I personally never feel distressed by those who write a lot of crap.

thumbs upthumbs up

Two thumbs up. One for your last line (BIG SMILE!) the second for the image you shared. Did you make that yourself? It's a "goodun"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:00

Stoneburst
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
latebloomer
Stoneage
Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

There is a flip side to this argument, and I'm not talking about this site. Political correctness run amok can create a stiffling environment where the fear of verbal retribution is so great, no one dares risks saying what they really think. All discourse becomes meaningless and boring. Where to draw the line between abuse and thoughtful debate is a tough one. I've seen this play out on other sites.

Not always necessarily political correctness, which I totally agree can get pretty dull. But the element of "group think" whether politically correct or not can be extremely influential in determining the flavor and content of peoples posts and certainly scares off a large element of people who would probably post contrasting opinions. We've seen it here on iorr quite a bit, plenty of old posters we rarely see anymore and likely this is one of the reasons, many have outright said this was the case.

But to get more back on topic, the real interesting discussion often happens when people are brave enough to post often contrasting or unpopular opinions and they are engaged in a friendly non-abusive way with actual discussion related to their opinions. And it's nice to see people with minds open enough to see other sides to stories, change their opinions based on the "thoughtful debate" and not be so attached to their views that they hold on to them like a pit bull.

Who are those old posters that don't want to post here anymore because of «groupthink» or because they were «scared off»?

I have never seen a Stones forum with more diverse opinions and with more frequent discussing of things than IORR.

You must mean rather new posters, and if they were «scared off» it must have had more to do with not being used to be corrected when stating baseless «facts» in a cocksure manner than groupthink?

When people are corrected, they'll just have make a stronger effort to show that the info upholds, imo.

The songwriting credit threads are good examples of good old high temperature IORR disagreement. Some people can take it, some can't. There are thousands of threads here, one can't be the one with the answers in all of them.

Well, HMS still posts here, so...

HA! Anyone that loves DIRTY WORK is just asking for it! Although it is not serious...

Date: October 29, 2015 17:01

Koen
Naturalust
it's when "facts" are stated as opinions

Or even worse, when opinions are stated as facts smoking smiley

Wait... what? Are you "just sayin'" or, like... is that, like, your opinion?

Date: October 29, 2015 17:09

Redhotcarpet
bv

Recently there was a new thread as this one on IORR:

Keith Last night or Mick with Taylor Swift. What rocks your boat the most new
Posted by: xxxxx
Date: October 23, 2015 19:09
I'm going with Keith last night.

May be harmless, but still, it is a typical example of the abuse on Internet. It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend. What is the point in such posts? Where is the human respect factor? What is the purpose? Is it made to build friendship or hate?

I have three children. Would it be ok for me to tell everyone that one of my three children are my favorite? Just the thought, the idea of saying one person is more valuable than the other, to me, such an idea is evil. That is the real abuse. The lack of respect for other people. And that is why I will never accept it on IORR.

You may have favorites and persons you like more or less in life, but you don't start public campaigns with hate and abuse of such, that is the difference. Most people on IORR are great fans, great friends, but some does not understand that online communities require a certain degree of respect and "not-posting" policy. In short, sites without moderation or limitations will die on Internet. I don't really care about Twitter, but I do care about IORR.

Im sorry but how is that abuse of the internet? I honestly dont understand. If this really is the question of Twitter losing money then fine I get it. Iorr is probably worth a lot - as it should be. In conclusion, no campaigning in favor of Keith or Mick or any other member of the Rolling Stones?

Something I don't understand...

What part is abusive? I'm not sure. I do not understand what is abusive with that.

Date: October 29, 2015 17:16

GasLightStreet
Redhotcarpet
bv

May be harmless, but still, it is a typical example of the abuse on Internet. It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend. What is the point in such posts? Where is the human respect factor? What is the purpose? Is it made to build friendship or hate?

I have three children. Would it be ok for me to tell everyone that one of my three children are my favorite? Just the thought, the idea of saying one person is more valuable than the other, to me, such an idea is evil. That is the real abuse. The lack of respect for other people. And that is why I will never accept it on IORR.

You may have favorites and persons you like more or less in life, but you don't start public campaigns with hate and abuse of such, that is the difference. Most people on IORR are great fans, great friends, but some does not understand that online communities require a certain degree of respect and "not-posting" policy. In short, sites without moderation or limitations will die on Internet. I don't really care about Twitter, but I do care about IORR.

Im sorry but how is that abuse of the internet? I honestly dont understand. If this really is the question of Twitter losing money then fine I get it. Iorr is probably worth a lot - as it should be. In conclusion, no campaigning in favor of Keith or Mick or any other member of the Rolling Stones?

Something I don't understand...

What part is abusive? I'm not sure. I do not understand what is abusive with that.

It's kinda ridiculing, though... well, sort of. Might be that the alleged «abuse» of posting privileges on IORR is that very provoking of Mick supporters? I dunno...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:41

Abuse is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes abuse consists of expressing an opinion that is contrary to that of the person(s) in power. Sometimes expressing a critical opinion can be viewed as abuse. It all depends on who is running the show and how thin the skin is.

Date: October 29, 2015 18:19

"I'm going with Keith last night" is abusive?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 29, 2015 18:42

mr_dja
Come On

thumbs upthumbs up

Two thumbs up. One for your last line (BIG SMILE!) the second for the image you shared. Did you make that yourself? It's a "goodun"!

Peace,
Mr DJA

smiling smiley No, I found it fixt und fertig on the net...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 29, 2015 18:49

GasLightStreet

My guess is this post was used as an example: "It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend"

Date: October 29, 2015 18:54

Well, whatever. The thing with Twitter is the trend. Part of it is about trend. It's not trendy - fashionable like wearing Nike hightops in 1979 or whenever, it's just of the, what, sometimes day, sometimes week, of what's going on in a lot of ways, not just one thing.

Date: October 29, 2015 18:56

Koen
GasLightStreet

My guess is this post was used as an example: "It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend"

Campaigning (in this case for Keith against Mick) is abusive, according to IORR rules. That must surely be the reason?

Date: October 29, 2015 18:59

DandelionPowderman
Koen
GasLightStreet

Campaigning (in this case for Keith against Mick) is abusive, according to IORR rules. That must surely be the reason?

Uhhhh. OK? I guess? I still don't get how that's campaigning because it's, whatever, wow. How bizarre.

Date: October 29, 2015 19:13

Just theorizing smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 19:48

If memory serves, the above poster ("I'm going with Keith last night" ) would launch his anti-Mick 'attacks' in nearly one out of five posts.lol
It did become repetitive, and while seemingly harmless, I suppose it could be considered a 'campaign'?
I dunno....

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 29, 2015 20:10

I think you're on the right track Hairball.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:07

Hairball
If memory serves, the above poster ("I'm going with Keith last night" ) would launch his anti-Mick 'attacks'
in nearly one out of five posts. lol It did become repetitive, and while seemingly harmless ...

Was it harmless, though, if it upset people? It's pretty classic trolling, isn't it?
And the first thread about Mick's guest appearance had some *very* distressed people in it,
so why start a whole new thread about it out of the blue, unless the aim was to stir things up again?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:15

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Koen
GasLightStreet

Uhhhh. OK? I guess? I still don't get how that's campaigning because it's, whatever, wow. How bizarre.

The whole point of that thread was to invite Mick-bashing, wasn't it? Another opportunity to express the same views expressed in the Taylor Swift thread, unless I'm reading it wrong? (I know I've said this before, but I've been involved in a bunch of forums over the years, but I've never found one that comes anywhere close to this for people bashing the members of the very band we all presumably love, or claim to. I was completely shocked when I first started reading the forum, and that was some years before I began posting.)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:16

Stoneage
Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

The only person who moderate on IORR is me, the editor. The above statement is incorrect and not even relevant.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:18

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Koen
GasLightStreet

Well this whole thread could be considered a campaign against on line abuse couldn't it? Not that I'm complaining, some very good points and comments have been made...but just sayin...

Anyway I think one of the lessons is...Don't (repeatedly) mess with Mick man!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:25

I don't espect every person on IORR to understand the fact that an opinion or a number of biased opinions might be offensive i.e. hateful to some. What is hurting some people might be just harmless to others.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:29

with sssoul
Hairball
If memory serves, the above poster ("I'm going with Keith last night" ) would launch his anti-Mick 'attacks'
in nearly one out of five posts. lol It did become repetitive, and while seemingly harmless ...

Was it harmless, though, if it upset people? It's pretty classic trolling, isn't it?
And the first thread about Mick's guest appearance had some *very* distressed people in it,
so why start a whole new thread about it out of the blue, unless the aim was to stir things up again?

I think it was harmless. I doubt anyone felt harmed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:32

with sssoul
Hairball

Agree, that's why I used the phase 'launch his anti-Mick 'attacks' like it was an assault, then said 'seemingly' harmless, as it's not what it really seemed, and then ended my paragraph with 'I dunno'.
It was more of a rhetorical reply acknowledging the disruption, because the repetitiveness of it all even made some diehard Keith fans shake their heads in bewilderment.
Like give it a break already, what's this dude's trip?

Redhotcarpet
I think it was harmless. I doubt anyone felt harmed.

Well obviously not in the literal sense, but probably more so in the relentless and obnoxious strategy of it all - to bait and annoy others with the same bashings over and over again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 23:38 by Hairball.

Date: October 30, 2015 01:03

I love it when people want to decide what others shouldn't take offense by. That's a battle one can't win smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home