Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: The problem of abuse
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 24, 2015 18:54

The thing that bothers me more then anything is how so many today think they basically have to post videos that basically make others look bad. Anything that happens to you in now a threat to end up on youtube and nobody bats an eye at it.

I saw a video the other day of a women who was obviously suffering from dementia yelling at her neighbor about the way he was treating his cat and the comment section was just people calling her names and no comments from people questioning how sick it was for the neighbor to post this. But thats youtube and thats people who comment on them. Its disgusting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 18:57 by stanlove.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 24, 2015 18:56

Great subject. I wish people could be better to one another, but unfortunately I believe it's impossible for some. And these types get a lot of attention usually. This issue has probably been in existence since the beginning of time, but now we've evolved through technology which adds a new spin on it. My two cents for what it's worth. Anyhow, would be nice if we can have a good time and keep it civil here on IORR.

Date: October 24, 2015 19:04

When someone starts cat-calling on a thread, that's when the meaning of that particular thread loses credibility. I just move on to another thread and hope that the real Stones' fans are on it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 24, 2015 20:15

I smile at the thought of some NSA analyst getting paid to spy on us all spending his days sorting through all this anti-social media looking for threats to the realm. grinning smiley Somewhere out there there is probably even some gov't employee who know more about the Stones than he ever wanted to. lol

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: October 24, 2015 20:38

aliceinseattle
I'm very confused by the negativity on web sites. Can someone point me to a music fan site where people are mean.

Aliceinseattle, I think it happens on all well-established sites from time to time.

On the point of "abuse" - I agree with a previous poster than things need to be in perspective. Can it really be called "abuse" if someone offends another by their view on who's better X or Y?? Even if they are quite deeply offended?

Sometimes, having to be super careful about being as inoffensive as possible can strip out the heart and guts of the message. Leading to a sanitised, hygienic and rather dull experience.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 24, 2015 20:46

Sometimes the problem is misinterpreting someone's remark as offensive when it wasn't intended that way. Sarcasm and other emotions don't translate well in written form. Hence the ubiquitous emoticon. grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 24, 2015 20:49

A single offending comment or post is never a problem, but when it is a repeated trend, an obsession, then it is abuse.

Bjornulf

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 24, 2015 21:00

latebloomer
Sometimes the problem is misinterpreting someone's remark as offensive when it wasn't intended that way.

Indeed! Even as we type: [www.iorr.org]
I feel bad that that thread where no one meant any harm at all got so misread - but it did,
and once misunderstandings start it can be really difficult to defuse things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 21:02 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 25, 2015 00:28

EJM
Twitter is not just about abuse - it can sometimes allow connection of academics and link papers to a new audience. Many reputable academics and educationalists use Twitter very productively. There is no question that any social media vector can be misused - people are people - but It's good to see both sides.

I agree. It's not the platform that's the issue, it's the attitude of its users, and there are a lot of users with positive attitudes and approaches--it's just that the negative ones stand out more, and may well be in the majority on many platforms. (I accept bv's info about the decline of Twitter, btw, but the fact remains that the author of the article didn't provide any evidence at all, which makes him less than a trustworthy source.)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 25, 2015 01:20

If there's anything good about internet social media, it provides tremendous insight into human nature and why, in my opinion, we are all doomed. I peruse and post on various message boards and I'm often downright disturbed at how, for example, bird watchers will fight for pages about whether the Ivory Billed Woodpecker is really extinct. "You're an idiot, anybody who says they saw one is a liar!" Seriously. Ever check out IMDB? "Great movie", "Anybody who likes this is an &*(()." Ad nauseam.

It is kind of depressing to pay a visit to a Stones forum and read castigating, repetitious, infinite loop squabbling. It's great to be passionate but one can be passionate and compassionate at the same time.

I personally didn't enjoy the clips of Keith's performance the other night but I'm just so "happy" to see him healthy and doing his thing. I don't see any reason in trying to beat a point to death, e.g. "(fill in the Stone) sucks." "Keith is the man!!!" Over and over. It's just incredible how crude some people can be. Those who enjoyed the performance and felt it was quality playing have every right to feel that way. Why waste time to repeatedly try to convince them otherwise?

I may not always agree with some of the administrative decisions here, but I, personally, would go out of my mind trying to moderate some of the internet insanity that goes on in an online forum. So if it gets a little heavy-handed at times (just my perception), one should understand.

I don't post much but I always try to act as if the people I'm talking to are physically present.

Thanks for the post and link, bv, and for this site.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 25, 2015 01:33

Call me old-fashioned but I prefer blogs. They tend to be more interest-based than social media like Twitter and Facebook (and such).
Twitter and Facebook seems to be very much about bragging. Like some kind of an extended CV.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 25, 2015 01:38

bv
Most people on IORR are great fans, great friends

So true, and so important to keep in mind.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 25, 2015 01:41

Stoneage
Call me old-fashioned but I prefer blogs. They tend to be more interest-based than social media like Twitter and Facebook (and such).
Twitter and Facebook seems to be very much about bragging. Like some kind of an extended CV.

bragging and complaining seem to be 2 of the favorite activities of human beings. no wonder social media is so popular :-)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 25, 2015 01:46

Stoneage

A lot of Facebook these days is composed of groups which are interest-based. Because many of them are closed (and closed groups are usually carefully moderated), people aren't often aware of their existence until they're invited to join one. I belong to several of these, and there's no verbal abuse at all, in any of them.

Date: October 25, 2015 01:56

I'm sure there are, Aquamarine. Internet is a universe in itself and it's, of course, impossible to keep track of every corner in there. At least for a layman like me...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 25, 2015 02:59

i never use social network sites and my daughter calls me a dinosaur, i just dont see the point in having to communicate with people this way when you can text them or talk to them in person, also some people are so stupid and post the most intimate details of every aspect of thier lives.

someone mentioned youtube and the responses some of the videos get, again this is proof of how stupid humans can be, by all means give opinions but why the need for nastiness, people have to expect that not everyones opinion is tghe same, if you dont like a film or song thats fine no need to get nasty and personal.

i like this site, i always give my truthfull opinion regardless of who is going to agree or disagree, we all love the stones but that dosent mean we all love the same songs or albums because clearly we dont, its all about opinions, i estimate the stones have around 300 officially released songs that were written by the stones and i can say i probably like around 250 of these and would regard about half as being brilliant. others may see things differently.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2015 02:24

Aquamarine
Stoneage

A lot of Facebook these days is composed of groups which are interest-based. Because many of them are closed (and closed groups are usually carefully moderated), people aren't often aware of their existence until they're invited to join one. I belong to several of these, and there's no verbal abuse at all, in any of them.

And for the most part, those are the facebook pages I was referring to in my previous post.
Even some of the open groups are user friendly, such as a "classic rock" group where people share videos and pictures of their favorite bands.
It's all positive, and there's really no room for any such 'abuse'. I don't spend much time on facebook, but when I do it seems a great place full of resources if that's what you want to take from it.
Be a part of it, rather than having it be a part of you - if that makes sense. As for IORR, it's the only message board I'm involved with due to time constraints.
I've visited others throughout the years, but this one has always seemed to be a notch above.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:39

I don't spend any time on Twitter or Reddit, but it does seem that unless they are heavily moderated, nearly every internet forum I have seen has recurrent abuse in the form of trolling, flame wars, and personal attacks on members.

There is also a lot of kindness on the net. I read a great story yesterday about a super-morbidly obese man (700 lb) who spent years trolling body-building forums. When challenged to post his own pic, the forum members reached out to help him and he lost 400 lb!

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 11:41 by Bliss.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:47

HMS
Green Lady
So what did keefriffhards say or do that just got him banned?

OK, I know we won't get an answer. But I'm sorry to lose him.

keefriffhards got banned??????????????????
I will miss him and his passionate way of expressing his opinions. I really do hope there is a way to get him back again. Sometimes he maybe got a bit rude, but after all this is no monestary...

Well, I did warn him that his days here were numbered, but sadly he didn't heed the warning....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2015 12:20

Open social media like Twitter does not have any moderation, and they are an easy target for abuse. Any anonymous person may bug the entire network with endless nagging and twisting of discussions and negativity.

With Facebook it is easy to kick out anyone that do not act friendly, and everyone do know that risk, so Facebook is a bit unreal, almost entirely positive and success.

IORR is open still moderated. The abuse factor is a clear reason for moderation. In fact, without moderation any online media will degenerate and become very unpleasant, just filled with abuse.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 25, 2015 15:12

latebloomer
Sometimes the problem is misinterpreting someone's remark as offensive when it wasn't intended that way. Sarcasm and other emotions don't translate well in written form. Hence the ubiquitous emoticon. grinning smiley

And many people post in a language that isn't their first language. Useful comments could easily get lost in translation.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 26, 2015 06:16

Social media has caused the pussyfication of America. A bunch of inconsiderate self absorbed, highly insensitive morons is what I see on a daily basis who hide behind their IPHONE keyboards with nothing better to do.

The "sticks and stones will break my bones" adage is long gone. It is
a new generation which sucks for the most part.

Twitter sucks and only a fool would use it. Opinions are like @#$%&, everyone has one and most of them stink.

Abusers are punk and losers and sadly, they will always exist. It is impossible to change a flawed and mentally defective individual.

Ignore them and if you have the balls and or resources, get creative.

As a baby boomer, society is not nearly as good as it used to be.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 26, 2015 12:51

I don't use twitter, and don't even own a smart phone (yet). I have many friends that do, and witness them losing touch with reality while glued to their phones.
I have a laptop that I use, and when I leave home for work or whatever, the internet stays behind.
I've half-jokingly banned the use of smartphones (and cell phones in general) from my studio, in order to keep human interaction the priority.

I am 100% the same and I 100% agree!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2015 13:20

Nate
It's easy for people to be abusive when hiding behind the anonymity that the Internet offers.

Nate
+1

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 26, 2015 15:29

MadMax
I've half-jokingly banned the use of smartphones (and cell phones in general) from my studio, in order to keep human interaction the priority.

15 years ago the cellphone ban in my studio was half-hearted. It's now non-negotiable. I have a hanging storage unit (originally designed for shoes) on the entry door where everyone is required to leave their phone. If they bring it inside and I see it, they are given the choice of removing it, removing themselves and it, or ending the session. If it rings, beeps or produces any sort of sound/distraction which causes me to notice it, the session is over at that moment.

I figure that if I can & am willing to give my 100% attention to the work being done, so can everyone else. If they can't do that, I figure I've got better things to do with my time and energy.

Before anyone asks, yes, this policy has hurt feelings, "ruffled feathers", and probably cost me some opportunities. I'm OK with that. My studio, my policies, my consequences. At someone else's studio, I'll follow their rules.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 27, 2015 19:17

Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 27, 2015 19:41

Stoneage
Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

There is a flip side to this argument, and I'm not talking about this site. Political correctness run amok can create a stiffling environment where the fear of verbal retribution is so great, no one dares risks saying what they really think. All discourse becomes meaningless and boring. Where to draw the line between abuse and thoughtful debate is a tough one. I've seen this play out on other sites.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 27, 2015 20:04

latebloomer
Stoneage

There is a flip side to this argument, and I'm not talking about this site. Political correctness run amok can create a stiffling environment where the fear of verbal retribution is so great, no one dares risks saying what they really think. All discourse becomes meaningless and boring. Where to draw the line between abuse and thoughtful debate is a tough one. I've seen this play out on other sites.

Not always necessarily political correctness, which I totally agree can get pretty dull. But the element of "group think" whether politically correct or not can be extremely influential in determining the flavor and content of peoples posts and certainly scares off a large element of people who would probably post contrasting opinions. We've seen it here on iorr quite a bit, plenty of old posters we rarely see anymore and likely this is one of the reasons, many have outright said this was the case.

But to get more back on topic, the real interesting discussion often happens when people are brave enough to post often contrasting or unpopular opinions and they are engaged in a friendly non-abusive way with actual discussion related to their opinions. And it's nice to see people with minds open enough to see other sides to stories, change their opinions based on the "thoughtful debate" and not be so attached to their views that they hold on to them like a pit bull.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 28, 2015 14:21

I very much agree with you Naturalust, my views are seen as offensive on iorr and people take my views personally, and this is the reason i rarely post on iorr.
I don't fit into the vibe here, the feeling is that one has to be of the same opinions as the group or your seen as negative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 14:22 by stone4ever.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: October 28, 2015 14:24

????????????????

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home