Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: The problem of abuse
Date: October 28, 2015 14:51

Naturalust
latebloomer
Stoneage
Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

There is a flip side to this argument, and I'm not talking about this site. Political correctness run amok can create a stiffling environment where the fear of verbal retribution is so great, no one dares risks saying what they really think. All discourse becomes meaningless and boring. Where to draw the line between abuse and thoughtful debate is a tough one. I've seen this play out on other sites.

Not always necessarily political correctness, which I totally agree can get pretty dull. But the element of "group think" whether politically correct or not can be extremely influential in determining the flavor and content of peoples posts and certainly scares off a large element of people who would probably post contrasting opinions. We've seen it here on iorr quite a bit, plenty of old posters we rarely see anymore and likely this is one of the reasons, many have outright said this was the case.

But to get more back on topic, the real interesting discussion often happens when people are brave enough to post often contrasting or unpopular opinions and they are engaged in a friendly non-abusive way with actual discussion related to their opinions. And it's nice to see people with minds open enough to see other sides to stories, change their opinions based on the "thoughtful debate" and not be so attached to their views that they hold on to them like a pit bull.

Who are those old posters that don't want to post here anymore because of «groupthink» or because they were «scared off»?

I have never seen a Stones forum with more diverse opinions and with more frequent discussing of things than IORR.

You must mean rather new posters, and if they were «scared off» it must have had more to do with not being used to be corrected when stating baseless «facts» in a cocksure manner than groupthink?

When people are corrected, they'll just have make a stronger effort to show that the info upholds, imo.

The songwriting credit threads are good examples of good old high temperature IORR disagreement. Some people can take it, some can't. There are thousands of threads here, one can't be the one with the answers in all of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 15:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 28, 2015 15:13

It is personal responsibility. I use Twitter. I look at it more than I post anything, and when I post something 8 out of 10 times it's a picture I took. I have a couple of accounts. One is not a personal account.

Sometimes I get certain information via Twitter on my personal account that I won't get anywhere else with such ease and one such example that is fantastic is weather updates: they're easy to see, easy to read and it doesn't take long due to the short amount of space allowed for words; it gets right to the point.

Those are usually linked with FaceBook but for some reason it's easier on Twitter.

Twitter is good for following people to get information, whether it's a newspaper article, a magazine article, a book, a song, TV show or movie.

And other things, like what some retired "news" host is doing, for an example.

So either I'm not on it enough or not looking at the right things to see the abuse or negativity that is being talked about nor do I see Twitter going down the drain. I see a lot of abuse and negativity on FB mostly with a certain... group of people, the ones that use science but never acknowledge it and even go so far to say that it's not relevant.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 28, 2015 15:20

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
latebloomer
Stoneage
Here is a statement: I'm not so sure it's okey that the signature Stones50 is acting like a thought police on this forum reporting every post that doesn't conform with his political ties.
Recently he closed down the Murdoch thread because someone dared to criticize Rupert Murdoch. Isn't it enough with one moderator on this forum?

There is a flip side to this argument, and I'm not talking about this site. Political correctness run amok can create a stiffling environment where the fear of verbal retribution is so great, no one dares risks saying what they really think. All discourse becomes meaningless and boring. Where to draw the line between abuse and thoughtful debate is a tough one. I've seen this play out on other sites.

Not always necessarily political correctness, which I totally agree can get pretty dull. But the element of "group think" whether politically correct or not can be extremely influential in determining the flavor and content of peoples posts and certainly scares off a large element of people who would probably post contrasting opinions. We've seen it here on iorr quite a bit, plenty of old posters we rarely see anymore and likely this is one of the reasons, many have outright said this was the case.

But to get more back on topic, the real interesting discussion often happens when people are brave enough to post often contrasting or unpopular opinions and they are engaged in a friendly non-abusive way with actual discussion related to their opinions. And it's nice to see people with minds open enough to see other sides to stories, change their opinions based on the "thoughtful debate" and not be so attached to their views that they hold on to them like a pit bull.

Who are those old posters that don't want to post here anymore because of «groupthink» or because they were «scared off»?

I have never seen a Stones forum with more diverse opinions and with more frequent discussing of things than IORR.

You must mean rather new posters, and if they were «scared off» it must have had more to do with not being used to be corrected when stating baseless «facts» in a cocksure manner than groupthink?

When people are corrected, they'll just have make a stronger effort to show that the info upholds, imo.

The songwriting credit threads are good examples of good old high temperature IORR disagreement. Some people can take it, some can't. There are thousands of threads here, one can't be the one with the answers in all of them.

Well, HMS still posts here, so...

Date: October 28, 2015 15:24

In fairness, he never said there was universal agreement on DW being a masterpiece smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 17:24

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
latebloomer
Stoneage

I agree.

I can't see how someone could possibly be "scared off"... And I struggle to think of an example.

It's happened more than once that I've posted an opinion and the next post expresses the exact opposite opinion. I don't run and hide in my closet or get upset. I shrug and think that it's pretty wild how so many people can like the same band and still disagree on so many things and then I carry on with my day. And as far as I can tell 99.9% of the people on IORR feel the same way.

It does bother me when people post factually incorrect information. There was one time when someone got upset because when they said that Stones had done their best work during the "Taylor" era of Beggar's Banquet, Let it Bleed, EOMS, and Sticky Fingers, I was pretty quick to correct them that 1/2 of those albums were not "Taylor Era". But surely the truth is worth sticking up for?

The most important principle is to discuss your opinions of the music and what is expressed here, not the person expressing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 17:25 by Turner68.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 28, 2015 18:02

Perhaps it's the cocksure and strong efforts part that can get a bit abrasive at times. Personally I've got not problems with opinions, they are unimpeachable and the life blood of the board, it's when opinions are stated as "facts" that things can get a bit over the top, imo. No worries, lots of diverse personalities and writing styles is generally a good thing and makes the board interesting and I'm just as guilty as the next guy in trying to keep the facts straight on here.

I think of posters like Gazza, Sway Stones, 71Tele, LBA72, ProudMary, Swiss, Eric Snow just to name a few who aren't posting here much if at all and just theorized that the group think and politics surrounding it might be one of the reasons, not to mention the ones who have left more unintentionally. lol I'm sure I could go back a few years and come up with a considerably longer list...but being asked to provide one is perhaps just the kind of thing I'm talking about really. Of course this is just my opinion and people have many reasons for moving on. I've heard enough people state the issue recently to form an opinion, in fact stoneage's initial post here was obviously one of them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 18:37 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 18:24

mr_dja
MadMax
I've half-jokingly banned the use of smartphones (and cell phones in general) from my studio, in order to keep human interaction the priority.

15 years ago the cellphone ban in my studio was half-hearted. It's now non-negotiable. I have a hanging storage unit (originally designed for shoes) on the entry door where everyone is required to leave their phone. If they bring it inside and I see it, they are given the choice of removing it, removing themselves and it, or ending the session. If it rings, beeps or produces any sort of sound/distraction which causes me to notice it, the session is over at that moment.

I figure that if I can & am willing to give my 100% attention to the work being done, so can everyone else. If they can't do that, I figure I've got better things to do with my time and energy.

Before anyone asks, yes, this policy has hurt feelings, "ruffled feathers", and probably cost me some opportunities. I'm OK with that. My studio, my policies, my consequences. At someone else's studio, I'll follow their rules.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I think MadMax had messed up the quoting, and I'll take credit for the original post. thumbs up

But we all three agree and are on the same page.
As for any hurt feelings because of the ban, it's mainly been females that get their feathers ruffled...don't know why that is.
That's where the half-jokingly aspect comes into play I suppose, don't want to ruffle up to many females! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 28, 2015 18:26

Naturalust
it's when "facts" are stated as opinions

Or even worse, when opinions are stated as facts smoking smiley

Date: October 28, 2015 18:50

Koen
Naturalust
it's when "facts" are stated as opinions

Or even worse, when opinions are stated as facts smoking smiley

Yeah that's what I meant to say! Thanks for pointing that out Koen, I've edited my original post. We need a kind looking "In my opinion" emoticon that should be generously used...or something.

Anyway, as latebloomer so wisely points out it is often a fine line between thoughtful debate and abuse and the difference often has more to do with the tone of the dialogue that the content, but not always, imo.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 18:55

I think that repetition gets old pretty fast. It is fair to expect to be able to post your own opinion without people jumping down your throat. If you repeatedly post your own negative opinion without adding anything new (eg "mick Taylor stinks") then it becomes trolling. I've seen people on here do that, have people get annoyed at them, and then complain that diverse viewpoints aren't tolerated lol.

Date: October 28, 2015 19:06

Turner68
I think that repetition gets old pretty fast. It is fair to expect to be able to post your own opinion without people jumping down your throat. If you repeatedly post your own negative opinion without adding anything new (eg "mick Taylor stinks") then it becomes trolling. I've seen people on here do that, have people get annoyed at them, and then complain that diverse viewpoints aren't tolerated lol.

Yes but to be fair, positive repetition can get just as old just as fast. I like Keith's new record quite a bit but reading some of the repetition on the CH thread from the same 4 or 5 posters was making me a bit mad. lol We get it, you love the record, unless you have something more specific to add why continue to post the same old thing?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 19:14

Crosseyed Heart is an absolutely great album indeed! thumbs up

There's been lots of diversion in that thread, and indeed some of it has become repetitive, but there's still something new to say depending on how it evolves.
That's the nature of a conversation with multiple people contributing over an extended period of time.

If it get's boring for you, there's always the SuperHeavy thread to look at. smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 28, 2015 19:28

One key thing: Don't use the "report button" unless it's absolutely necessary (which it seldom is. I have posted here for more than five years whitout even considering using it).
Just because someone states an opinion, political or whatever, that doesn't coincide with yours doesn't mean you should report it!
(Think of it more like a fire-alarm. Use it only when a fire breaks out. Not when someone is smoking in the hallway...).

Date: October 28, 2015 19:29

NL, you say that old posters "outright have given groupthink and being scared off" as reasons for leaving - is it too much to ask for who you had in mind? This was not just your opinion, since they so clearly said why.

You know perfectly well that the old posters among the names you mentioned never have stated that.

Why would some posters' praisal of an album they like offend you in any way? After all, that should be a positive thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 19:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 28, 2015 19:30

Naturalust
Turner68

Yes but to be fair, positive repetition can get just as old just as fast. I like Keith's new record quite a bit but reading some of the repetition on the CH thread from the same 4 or 5 posters was making me a bit mad. lol We get it, you love the record, unless you have something more specific to add why continue to post the same old thing?

Why not just try ignoring repetitive posts, positive or negative, if they are bothering you? What I don't get is why it annoys some people so much and why they can't just let it go. If people don't respond to a commment, then the noise usually dies down. Of course, if it does get to the point of trolling, then that's a different story and that's usually when the moderator steps in to take care of it. Repeated negative commments do tend to bug me because, let's face it, they are a downer. So, I either stay away or scroll past quickly. But, I can't see how you can get worked up over positive commments, whether you agree with them or not. A little sunshine is always good in my world. smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2015 19:31

latebloomer
Naturalust
Turner68

Why not just try ignoring repetitive posts, positive or negative, if they are bothering you? What I don't get is why it annoys some people so much and why they can't just let it go. If people don't respond to a commment, then the noise usually dies down. Of course, if it does get to the point of trolling, then that's a different story and that's usually when the moderator steps in to take care of it. Repeated negative commments do tend to bug me because, let's face it, they are a downer. So, I either stay away or scroll past quickly. But, I can't see how you can get worked up over positive commments, whether you agree with them or not. A little sunshine is always good in my world. smiling smiley

thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2015 19:32

Hairball
Crosseyed Heart is an absolutely great album indeed! thumbs up

There's been lots of diversion in that thread, and indeed some of it has become repetitive, but there's still something new to say depending on how it evolves.
That's the nature of a conversation with multiple people contributing over an extended period of time.

If it get's boring for you, there's always the SuperHeavy thread to look at. smiling smiley

LOL! Well you are actually one of the posters who always was pretty clear about what specifically new was moving you about the record and tended to add to the conversation well so kudos for that. It does tend to have some hidden elements which come out after repeated listens, one of it's many charms.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 28, 2015 20:17

Maybe part of the problem is that some posters seem to think they'll change others' opinions
if they just keep repeating the same thing (positive or negative), and/or badgering anyone who has a different view.
There was a pretty high dose of that recently and while it didn't do anything to alter my opinions
it did make me feel like I didn't want to post my opinions at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 20:21 by with sssoul.

Date: October 28, 2015 20:19

DandelionPowderman
NL, you say that old posters "outright have given groupthink and being scared off" as reasons for leaving - is it too much to ask for who you had in mind? This was not just your opinion, since they so clearly said why.

You know perfectly well that the old posters among the names you mentioned never have stated that.

Why would some posters' praisal of an album they like offend you in any way? After all, that should be a positive thing?

Yes, too much to ask. I actually might know more than you think since I have spoken with a lot of people offline, perhaps I'm mixing up what was posted here and what was discussed elsewhere. It's really not that important is it? Do you seriously want me to parse all the old threads and list the cases of people stating why they don't post much here anymore? You know as well as anyone there have been quite a few.

As far as praise of an album offending me, that is a mischaracterization of what I said. I said it was the repetitive praising of a record by the same few people without much new context or content that tending to drive me a bit mad, or at least that's what I meant. I had no problem ignoring it really, not that big of a deal. It's probably similar to the Taylor thread, many have complained about the same few posters keeping the thread going, it is what it is I apologize for expressing my opinion or perhaps violating my own rule about making it clear it was mostly just my opinion.

Date: October 28, 2015 20:54

That's all right, NL. No, I'm not serious about making such a list. But perhaps you don't have to use as strong words about it, because it affects a whole forum where many might think that posters are being driven away? You post a lot, and many listen to you - just a thought...

I will certainly work on my praising, and do my part to increase the quality of it smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2015 21:07

DandelionPowderman
That's all right, NL. No, I'm not serious about making such a list. But perhaps you don't have to use as strong words about it, because it affects a whole forum where many might think that posters are being driven away? You post a lot, and many listen to you - just a thought...

I will certainly work on my praising, and do my part to increase the quality of it smiling smiley

Fair enough Dandie, sounds reasonable to me. As long as you will admit there is no bridge in Too Tough I'm open to anything. lol winking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 28, 2015 21:22

bv
Aquamarine
I don't see that the writer has any evidence that Twitter is dying, actually, except in his own personal experience of it.

Twitter is a Zoo, that is my personal opinion, but the public opinion is the fact that Twitter are in trouble, their stock value has been falling 50% in four months and they have to layoff 8% of their workforce, very unusual in this business. The financial facts for those who care:

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey gives $200M in stock to employees
Since being renamed chief executive,
Dorsey has launched restructuring that cut 8% of workforce
[www.cbc.ca]

Still. That is not the point. Twitter is not interesting. The abuse as a modern Internet issue is the problem. Most online media do not accept personal opinions anymore, because of all the abuse. If you ever care to read the comments people place under news articles online, it is all abuse, abuse, abuse. It is a zoo. Even with full names and identities and images from facebook, people post their grumpy verbal offending narrow minded comments to millions of readers. So they close these threads at nights and week-ends, they have a large staff moderating the worst bits. The real issue is the fact that many people do not think before they post. And they do not have the respect needed in order to live with other people in an online community.

I will give an example:
There is this guy in Norway who run the association for fat people, I mean really superfat people. He is a honest guy, very thoughtful and hard working, but his problem is he is fat, which is a medical issue. Then people post everywhere directly to him he should drop dead and he should be ashamed. Even intelligent people in Norway claim fat people are like drug addicts, re link below. It is all abuse, hateful public opinions directed to individuals:

[www.vg.no]

Recently there was a new thread as this one on IORR:

Keith Last night or Mick with Taylor Swift. What rocks your boat the most new
Posted by: xxxxx
Date: October 23, 2015 19:09
I'm going with Keith last night.

May be harmless, but still, it is a typical example of the abuse on Internet. It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend. What is the point in such posts? Where is the human respect factor? What is the purpose? Is it made to build friendship or hate?

I have three children. Would it be ok for me to tell everyone that one of my three children are my favorite? Just the thought, the idea of saying one person is more valuable than the other, to me, such an idea is evil. That is the real abuse. The lack of respect for other people. And that is why I will never accept it on IORR.

You may have favorites and persons you like more or less in life, but you don't start public campaigns with hate and abuse of such, that is the difference. Most people on IORR are great fans, great friends, but some does not understand that online communities require a certain degree of respect and "not-posting" policy. In short, sites without moderation or limitations will die on Internet. I don't really care about Twitter, but I do care about IORR.

I read that and was in complete agreement until the bit about not showing favouritism on line. Surely forums are where people come to discuss which song is better than another or who is better guitarist. People are different we enjoy and dislike different things and I doubt very much that the musicians we discuss on here would take it to heart for too long. But, it's when we as forum members start bickering that it crosses the line for me. I have to say, as a fourm, it is not often I've seen it on IORR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 21:33 by crumbling_mice.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:05

bv

May be harmless, but still, it is a typical example of the abuse on Internet. It is not the one post, but the hundred with the same trend. What is the point in such posts? Where is the human respect factor? What is the purpose? Is it made to build friendship or hate?

I have three children. Would it be ok for me to tell everyone that one of my three children are my favorite? Just the thought, the idea of saying one person is more valuable than the other, to me, such an idea is evil. That is the real abuse. The lack of respect for other people. And that is why I will never accept it on IORR.

You may have favorites and persons you like more or less in life, but you don't start public campaigns with hate and abuse of such, that is the difference. Most people on IORR are great fans, great friends, but some does not understand that online communities require a certain degree of respect and "not-posting" policy. In short, sites without moderation or limitations will die on Internet. I don't really care about Twitter, but I do care about IORR.

Im sorry but how is that abuse of the internet? I honestly dont understand. If this really is the question of Twitter losing money then fine I get it. Iorr is probably worth a lot - as it should be. In conclusion, no campaigning in favor of Keith or Mick or any other member of the Rolling Stones?

Date: October 28, 2015 22:06

with sssoul
Maybe part of the problem is that some posters seem to think they'll change others' opinions
if they just keep repeating the same thing (positive or negative), and/or badgering anyone who has a different view.
There was a pretty high dose of that recently and while it didn't do anything to alter my opinions
it did make me feel like I didn't want to post my opinions at all.

Sorry to hear that, I felt the same on the Keith's solo album thread.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:14

Redhotcarpet
bv

Im sorry but how is that abuse of the internet? I honestly dont understand. If this really is the question of Twitter losing money then fine I get it. Iorr is probably worth a lot - as it should be. In conclusion, no campaigning in favor of Keith or Mick or any other member of the Rolling Stones?

I was going to make some darkly humourous joke regarding if this were to be BV's new policy, but I didn't want to be held responsible in the event BV took it seriously...

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: RobbedBlind ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:16

Repeating the same thing over and over again to provoke a reaction from people is trolling.

Date: October 28, 2015 22:21

I dont know, depends. If it's the exact same thing over and over without any nuances then yes I guess so.

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:23

Redhotcarpet
I dont know, depends. If it's the exact same thing over and over without any nuances then yes I guess so.

+1 thumbs up

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 29, 2015 01:07

NICOS
Maybe we all should add our Email address in IORR profile........just to show that your not that anonymous cool smiley.......and if you have a problem you can fight out your "misunderstanding" through email

Generally speaking, online forums like this record ip addresses from where a post originates. They could track you down thru your ISP if they cared enough.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 29, 2015 01:11

StonedInTokyo
NICOS
Maybe we all should add our Email address in IORR profile........just to show that your not that anonymous cool smiley.......and if you have a problem you can fight out your "misunderstanding" through email

Generally speaking, online forums like this record ip addresses from where a post originates. They could track you down thru your ISP if they cared enough.

Not me...I quit wearing that perfume years ago.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home