Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14
Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 4, 2019 12:53

If you`re looking for classic Stones, there is much to be fond of here, as was being said when the album was new. To untrained ears, Dangerous Beauty could pass as classic Stones, but is it? No doubt there should be a "parents advisory" on this one, and the band today sure gets their impulses form contemporary bands. IMO, there are some weak songs like Rough Justice, Back of My Hand, Streets of Love and Infamy. However Let Me Down Slow and It Won`t Take Long are strong songs, and Rain Fall Down not so, but alas, the world won`t listen...

Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 4, 2019 13:34

HonkeyTonkFlash
SomeGuy
I think every album from Steel Wheels on is too long. As such, I find A Bigger Bang to be a rather enjoyable album, I play it probably more often than any of the late 60s & early 70s ones (but that's for another reason, somehow I dont play highlights that often because theyre too special, sort of).
Coming from Bridges To Babylon (a most deplorable album), A Bigger Bang is a vast improvement in my opinion. From what I read here people experience the album differently, I mean, how can this album be 'overproduced' and 'too raw' at the same time? Personally I thought that the scaled down 'Vegas style' backing vocals and ensemble was a bit of a relief and a slight return to the 5 piece band sound of yore. That, and a good 40 minutes of good songs make it the best of the latter day Stones (original) albums for me.

Seems like in the CD era everybody's albums got too long. smiling smiley

That's actually very true... Stating the obvious maybe, but it's easier to come up with 40 minutes worth of good material than 60 . If you have more really good stuff ...great, make a double album .

All the modern day albums may have been better received by many had they just featured the strongest 40 minutes or 8-10 songs .

[It would of course be very interesting to see which 40 minutes of the respective albums they would have released.grinning smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-04 14:25 by Spud.

If A BIGGER BANG Had Been Handled Differently
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2019 04:49

Maybe it's me. Maybe I expected better. Or more. Something.

Seeing that it was their first LP since BRIDGES TO BABYLON, and having heard a studio glimpse of Oh No Not You Again that gave me such hope (little did I know it would end up being one of the hand full of duds) of them having captured some kind of SOME GIRLS energy muse, A BIGGER BANG had a great opportunity to be something, especially considering the gap since their last LP.

If they'd put as much effort into considering what to choose to boost the album as they did preparing their tour and it's ridiculous stage perhaps A BIGGER BANG would've been better received - by the audience and by the band.

Instead of opting to use something that would spark some things in people by releasing Biggest Mistake (maybe even with a better title, maybe Love Comes So Late) as the first single, they chose one of the better tunes that is the Stones being the Stones, one of their best rockers in quite a while, Rough Justice (although somehow elsewhere it was the magnificently awful bad Streets Of Love). As much as I like Rough Justice, it doesn't grab as immediately as She Saw Me Coming, the only other song that might stir something in anyone from the top because it has a great opening lick, something that is lacking on a major majority of the songs on ABB.

As cool as Rain Fall Down is, it's a bit tepid and is lyrically equivalent to a 12 year old trying to sound like a teenager; it still stuck to the modern trip Mick was still chasing after with the results being behind the curve, again, just as was done with BRIDGES, but didn't go too far this time (it also sounds like an UNDERCOVER leftover).

They probably missed out on making people pay attention had they released Laugh... I Nearly Died as a second or third single: their best ballads since Beast Of Burden.

Then there's the obvious bad step - the album, their 4th (and third in a row) double studio album, is too damn long:

Should've Been B-sides
Back Of My Hand. The Storm was a B-side and it's a much better tune.

Driving Too Fast, which is a lot like...

Under The Radar - at least Driving Too Fast is shorter; Under The Radar is too long and sounds unfinished.

Songs That Should've Remained Unreleased
Streets Of Love
Oh No Not You Again
Sweet Neo Con
Infamy
Don't Wanna Go Home

Stir all of how that could've been together with a tour that should've played 3-5 songs from the album, regardless of tracks removed above, and it's extremely likely there would be a different attitude and view about ABB.

Re: If A BIGGER BANG Had Been Handled Differently
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 05:03

A BIGGER BANG to me wasn't a bad album. It had some hard, rough, rocking songs. The problem with it, is that it didn't bring anything new or creative to the table after 8 years without a new album. Plus, there's no other album that contains more filler than A BIGGER BANG does. It should have been 12 songs with 2 or 3 for bonus material. The reason why the band completely ignores it is the fact it's mostly forgettable in their huge catalogue. It could have been better had they worked on it with more creativity and had it not been rushed for release to coincide for yet another massive world tour.

If A BIGGER BANG had been handled differently, this is what I'd like it to have looked like:

Side One:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Streets Of Love
Back Of My Hand

Side Two:

She Saw Me Coming
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast
Infamy

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 17, 2019 05:15

I don't have a problem with the album, other than that it has 3 or 4 songs too many, as has every album of the past 30 years. I believe critics at the time were favourable also. What I like especially is the stripped down aspect, no Vegas arrangements.
All in all, I think it is the best album after the so called WW III period. Should it have been better? Of course.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2019 05:20

……………………..… LIFE … page 299

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 17, 2019 07:05

It's a good record. Better than Voodoo and Bridges. It ain't Sticky Fingers but I wasn't expecting that. "Oh No Not You Again" is a great, fun cut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 07:05 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2019 07:33

"There's some good stuff on there, but I don't know... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that.
Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows. But I enjoyed making it very much". - Keith,2015

There's one or two tracks on it that are pretty good, but overall it's a mess. Haven't listened from start to finish since just after it was released.
Listened straight through maybe 10 times, but had to stop as it was so annoying. Infamy might just be Keith's worst song ever (with or without the Stones), and even when played live it was crap.
Streets of Love is the low point of the Stones entire career up to this point, but doubt it's possible to sink lower than that. Sweet Neo Con is a miserable/hilarious excuse for a political song.
So many things wrong with this album, it might just be impossible to improve it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 08:08

If A BIGGER BANG had been handled differently, this is what I'd like it to have looked like:

Side One:

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Don't Wanna go Home
Back Of My Hand

Side Two:

Under The Radar
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Sweet NeoCon

Rod

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2019 08:14

Hairball said it perfectly. Except for the tour I almost never think about this album. I hope they will in fact release a new album and it's amazing so they don't have a clunker at the end of their career.

Date: October 17, 2019 10:05

Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Rain Fall Down
Biggest Mistake

She Saw Me Coming
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
Dangerous Beauty
This Place Is Empty

ALBUM TALK: A BIGGER BANG - [iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 11:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 10:20

I thought the album was better than I expected it to be! I think my favourite song is Let Me Down Slow. Even friends that aren't Stones fans like it. One thing I don't like is the production and how brickwalled it is, similar to Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: October 17, 2019 10:42

Its Bland and has no balls, but better than another best of !

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:05

Acceptable album in the correct order:

- Oh No, Not You Again - second single
- Laugh, I Nearly Died - first single
- Rain Fall Down - third single
- Biggest Mistake

- Rough Justice
- Let Me Down Slow
- She Saw Me Coming
- Back of My Hand

Some of the worst songs ever in their career (on the level of Back To Zero, See What Happens and Gomper Part II):
- Sweet Neo Con
- Infamy

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:22

Not into the habit to discuss songs, I this time can't resist to give some remarks.
What I found typical is that (I went to several BB concerts in the USA and Europe) Street Of Love was received quite well as a live version. I thought the album version was too much polished, but I remember very well the very nice solo by Ronnie at the Milan San Siro concert and that I thought "this is how it should have sounded on the album". Also the live version in Paris (Stade de France) sounded very good.
Similar with Infamy. Not at all a favorit song on the album, I thought that the live version in Boston (Green Monster) was very much acceptable.
I agree with GLS that Rough Justice is a good song (somewhat underrated) and I happily sang it along in Boston. I also think that Laugh, I Nearly Died is a hell of a soul ballad, very much underrated. And I was very happy with Back Of My Hand (not knowing then that 10 years later the adorable Blue And Lonesome would be released).
Having heard the very enjoyable Oh No Not You Again during the NY press conference (Mick saying something like that it wasn't finished yet, needs to ...) I was somewhat disappointed when I heard the album version, which was essentially the same, so what was added ??? Still, I like the song.
Most other not mentioned songs are quite, sometimes very enjoyable to listen too, but certainly not spectacular.
For sure it's still an album I listen to, just skipping a few songs grinning smiley

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:47

DandelionPowderman
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Rain Fall Down
Biggest Mistake

She Saw Me Coming
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
Look What The Cat Dragged In
This Place Is Empty

Yep. This is the one it should’ve been. Not bad at all.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 17, 2019 12:12

I have not myself read "Life". Consequently, once again I need the following quote:

Doxa
Funny thing to consider is if Keith's claim in LIFE holds true - that Mick would wanted to record the whole album (A BIGGER BANG) again in a proper studio, but Keith and Was vetoed (because they liked the 'raw feel' on it, or something) - what it would have turned to be like? Had it been polished too much and over-produced? Or could the band have found some new spark and angle to the songs, developed them further, and proper musicians playing the proper instruments, etc?

- Doxa

If Mick's will had come to prewail, A BIGGER BANG could have been quite different even with same songs. For instance, "Streets of Love" might possibly have gained some of the qualities of the live Rome version or at least have grown different to the existing album version. For also in my view, the existing album version has got its defects. In my hearing of the studio version, it is not about being too polished, though.

Then there is the question about "Sweet Neo Con", that I, in ackowledged minority, find much promising, but somehow unfinished. There I think that more studio time could have been much advantageous in realizing that song's potential.

I am very seldom in favour of wiping about Stones songs. And I never skip songs during listening. Formely I have become aware that in a another context songs may appear improved, mentionning "Hide Your Love" as an example from earlier decades. Within A BIGGER BANG as it is, there are a few anonymous songs to me, "It Wont Take Long", "She Saw Me Coming" and "Driving Too Fast". Besides, "Infamy" is quite weak, while "Back of My Hand", on the contrary, is quite good, but still comes out a little sterile. During more studio time more flavour might have been added to the latter.

Four songs to me are at least semi-great and maybe outright great and must not be touched. In the order, that they appear "Let Me Down Slow", "Rain Fall Down", "Biggest Mistake" and "Laugh? I nearly Died". The album as such I find verging om the semi-great, even if one objection could be that it is a little "safe", compared for instance with BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 12:15 by Witness.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 17, 2019 13:07

I remember thinking that the record would be nothing special as soon as I saw the album cover in the record store...

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 17, 2019 13:21

Side One:
Biggest Mistake

Side Two:
This Place Is Empty

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 17, 2019 14:20

For me the brickwalled mixing is the biggest flaw with the record. ONNYA and SOL were both great live, I remember the Stade de France in 2006 where they both were the highlights of the show. I also Think Keith could've continued doing Infamy live during 2006 and 07, it's got a great groove in the TITN tradition, the brass section during autumn 2005 with The Worst (soprano saxophone solo) and Infamy,, mm yummy! And they could've continued the Hollywood Bowl 2nd show approach with more new songs, would've helped the record I am sure.

But yeah, cut it down to 12 songs and better mixing that allows the songs to Breathe. (And new recordings of ONNYA and SOL!!)

1. Rough Justice
2. Let Me Down Slow
3. Rain Fall Down
4. Streets Of Love
5. Back Of My Hand
6. This Place Is Empty

1. ONNYA
2. Sweet Neo Con
3. Laugh, I nearly Died
4. Look What The Cat Dragged In
5. Love Comes So Late (much better title yes)
6. Infamy

Just realised the old lady's name is the same as the shortening of Streets Of Love (Sol)smileys with beer

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: October 17, 2019 14:28

The opening drum sound on Laugh, I nearly died is probably the most natural recording of a bass drum I ever heard.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:05

I'd expand it to include all tracks released that year and re-sequence it. I spend all the time getting the extra tracks, the least they can do is make them available on one disc.

1. Rain Fall Down
2. Dangerous Beauty
3. Back of My Hand
4. She Saw Me Coming
5. Biggest Mistake
6. Streets of Love
7. This Place is Empty
8. Let Me Down Slow
9. It Won't Take Long
10. Laugh, I Nearly Died
11. Oh No, Not You Again
12. Rough Justice
13. Sweet Neo Con
14. Driving Too Fast
15. Don't Wanna Go Home
16. Look What the Cat Dragged In
17. Infamy
18. Under the Radar
19. Hurricane

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:19

A few I really like: SSMC, It Won't Take Long, Mistake, Dangerous (the music)

Lots of average to fair

A couple I hate: Neo-Con, Lyrics to Dangerous, the "vomit" line in RFD

Not a political post (I hate politics in almost all music, exception "Ohio", "Who'll Stop The Rain", "Fortunate Son", maybe a few more)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 16:26 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 17, 2019 16:09

Rough Justice
Oh No, Not You Again
Biggest Mistake
Under the Radar
This Place is Empty

Streets of Love
Sweet Neo Con
Back of My Hand
Don't Wanna Go Home
Rain Fall Down

So many are - imo - Mick nowt nor summat solo songs preformed by the Stones.......(I know Streets of Love & Rain Fall Down & Biggest Mistake could come into that category but - I really like them - the best Stones infused 'Mick songs' of the lot............and great live....

This lot - Outtakes from Goddess in the Doorway?............sound like it, except 'Dangerous Beauty' which was about the goings on that 'prison' in Iraq, which of course was later, 2003.............

Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
She Saw Me Coming
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Look What the Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast
confused smiley
Dangerous Beauty

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 16:45 by EddieByword.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 17, 2019 16:10

The thing with ABB is it's their last studio album of original material. So even if it's too long, doesn't sound good and has a lot of uninspired songs or lyrics, it remains (at least until now) their last album. So when I want to listen to later days Stones I plug into ABB. And actually the raw energy compensates for a lot of not so good songs.

Date: October 17, 2019 16:48

GasLightStreet
Maybe it's me.

I think it is. Thats a great album, a little too long, but has fantastic tracks. She saw me coming and Laugh i nearly died, i think are two of the most underrated stones tracks ever. The small bit of keith rehearsing She saw me coming on the Beacon gig, is beautiful.

A-side
1. "Rough Justice"
2. "She Saw me Coming"
3. "It Won't Take Long"
4. "Rain Fall Down"
5. "Streets of Love"
6. "Back of My Hand"

Bside
7. "Oh No, Not You Again"
8. "Laugh, I Nearly Died"
9. "Sweet Neo Con" 4:33
10. "Look What the Cat Dragged In"
11. "Driving Too Fast"
12. "Infamy"

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:13

Sweet Neocon makes Side 2 nearly unlistenable. Worse than Let's Work.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:30

ThePaleRider
I remember thinking that the record would be nothing special as soon as I saw the album cover in the record store...

Not sure how you determine that. Don't judge a book by its cover. (not even sure why anyone really cares much about the cover)

To me, a pretty damn good album, with a couple of throwaways. I love it!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:36

DandelionPowderman
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Rain Fall Down
Biggest Mistake

She Saw Me Coming
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
Dangerous Beauty
This Place Is Empty

This is my choice.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 18:23

album too long and too much filler, but if it was shorter we would moan about the outtakes being released.

so maybe this album is a good advert for not releasing outtakes.

if it was shortened it does contain some good stuff, its not a peak album like beggars or sticky but my tracklist would be.

1, rough justice
2. biggest mistake
3. o no not you again
4. rainfall down
5. this place is empty

6. back of my hand
7. infamy
8. laugh i nearly died
9. it wont take long
10. streets of love

not a bad mix of songs, some of them would have fitted into black and blue, its only rock and roll or goats head soup quite well.

its just the 16 song album release has too much filler, most stones albums have filler but thats got the most.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314Next
Current Page: 10 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home