Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14
Re: A Bigger Bang - Be Honest
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:01

I've listened to it a lot of times since it came out. It's one of my favorites of the post - Some Girls - Tattoo era.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MWasilewski ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:07

As a guy who was 15 years old at the time of the album premiere I want to add opinion from a bit different angle.

At the time, I was basically listening to the bands from the so called new rock revolution (The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) and let's say that I rather didn't adore all these rock dinosaurs from 60s and even 80s.

The first song of the Stones that I listened consciously to was probably Rain Fall Down. I was amazed, because the sound was fresh, even with comparison to the aforementioned young bands. I was really amazed that these old guys can make something that is not irrelevant. The whole album was even more delight. I really enjoy even the Streets of Love, I know that you despise it (but it's hard for me to conclude why).

So the first impression was very good. But after some time it turned out that I forgot about The Strokes, I forgot about Franz Ferdinand and other guys in skinny jeans and completely sank not only in ABB but other albums too. As I'm thinking about it right know, the reason for my enjoyment was unequalled quality of the Glimmer Twins songwriting; the sound was more or less fresh and appealing to younger me, but the quality of the bare songs was the key reason for me to love it.

Of course, I wonder what I would think about Bigger Bang if I listened to more acclaimed RS albums earlier. I don't know. I am aware that, because that was my first album of the band, I can't be objective about it. I really like it and from my perspective it is not only good album in comparison to other ones from 2005 but also in comparison to the whole RS discography.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:09

I don’t even know if I have it smoking smiley

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:11

Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

It's a half-baked album (compared with the classics) with some "outtakes" which had never been released in the LP-era. But I'm pretty sure the next album won't be better. They are not able to record classics anymore (exceptions like Laugh I Nearly Died are seldom), they're soon 71-77 years old. They don't need good new songs for the concerts because they wouldn't play them anyway (except if they are bad enough like One More Shot). What do you expect?

What do you mean "What do I expect"? You seem to be agreeing with me but end up questioning me.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:17

Still like it, still play it.

Adds nothing to their catalog, but I am very happy it was released.

Yep: not at all a bad album!

C

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:21

Personally I don't recall it as being a bad album. I just haven't listened to it in full since around 2006. It just fell off the radar. Maybe that would be a great album title "Off The Radar"

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:21

Harlem Shuffler
Monsoon Ragoon
Harlem Shuffler
There's nothing great on it and most of it is either nothing special or crap.

It's sad to think that this might be their last album of original songs.

It's a half-baked album (compared with the classics) with some "outtakes" which had never been released in the LP-era. But I'm pretty sure the next album won't be better. They are not able to record classics anymore (exceptions like Laugh I Nearly Died are seldom), they're soon 71-77 years old. They don't need good new songs for the concerts because they wouldn't play them anyway (except if they are bad enough like One More Shot). What do you expect?

What do you mean "What do I expect"? You seem to be agreeing with me but end up questioning me.

I like the album (although I know that it is no Sticky Fingers), you don't. Back in 2005 it was much better than expected because Bridges was incredible bad. Not to mention the 2002 songs. No personal offence intended, but it is quite absurd to hope the next album will beat ABB quality-wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 16:22 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 5, 2018 16:26

A Bigger Bang is too long, has too many fillers, no really stand out tracks and a so so sound but it's the Stones back to the basics, doing what they're doing best : playing straightforward rock 'n roll, with no fancy arrangements, loops or samples. Also add to it the 2 bonus tracks (under the radar & don't wanna go home) and you get a quite alright 18-track album from a band that at that time had not released a full album for 8 years (since Bridges...). Don't focus on the songs, focus on the band, that's what counts on ABB.

Date: April 5, 2018 16:30

kowalski
A Bigger Bang is too long, has too many fillers, no really stand out tracks and a so so sound but it's the Stones back to the basics, doing what they're doing best : playing straightforward rock 'n roll, with no fancy arrangements, loops or samples. Also add to it the 2 bonus tracks (under the radar & don't wanna go home) and you get a quite alright 18-track album from a band that at that time had not released a full album for 8 years (since Bridges...). Don't focus on the songs, focus on the band, that's what counts on ABB.

? What a nonsense

Date: April 5, 2018 16:36

KevinLocksPerm
You were probably really excited in 2005. You probably ripped the wrapper off when you got the album. But how many times have you listened to it since 2005?

And, again being honest, is this not the fate of any new Stones album that we get this year or next?

You know in your hearts that within a week of release this forum will be full of distaste for the previously much anticipated album

So, what's the point?

There's no value in listening to the Stones singing as if they were still 30. Maybe they should sing about issues faced by people in their mid 70s? But who wants to listen to songs about adult diapers, Saga Holidays, free bus passes and daytime TV?

Perhaps another album of blues covers is the only way now.

Here's the album talk-thread.

A good album, but with too many tracks.

Unfortunately, the production, and the mixing in particular, is not up to par, imo.

Date: April 5, 2018 16:50

DandelionPowderman
KevinLocksPerm
You were probably really excited in 2005. You probably ripped the wrapper off when you got the album. But how many times have you listened to it since 2005?

And, again being honest, is this not the fate of any new Stones album that we get this year or next?

You know in your hearts that within a week of release this forum will be full of distaste for the previously much anticipated album

So, what's the point?

There's no value in listening to the Stones singing as if they were still 30. Maybe they should sing about issues faced by people in their mid 70s? But who wants to listen to songs about adult diapers, Saga Holidays, free bus passes and daytime TV?

Unfortunately, the production, and the mixing in particular, is not up to par, imo.

Thanks for the thread Dandelion but do you mind if we discuss it here too? If you read the original post you will see that the gist was not actually about ABB but about applying many people's attitudes and feelings about ABB to the possibility of a new album.

Date: April 5, 2018 16:57

KevinLocksPerm
DandelionPowderman
KevinLocksPerm

So, what's the point?

Thanks for the thread Dandelion but do you mind if we discuss it here too? If you read the original post you will see that the gist was not actually about ABB but about applying many people's attitudes and feelings about ABB to the possibility of a new album.

No problem, mate. I just posted the link for more info about IORRers thoughts about the album smiling smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 5, 2018 17:33

Being totally honest iv'e played it possibly the least amount of times of any Stones album, 40 or 50 times so far.

That's not because its the worst Stones album, it's because as i get older i listen to CD's less and less, i'm gradually falling out of love with the band too.
Still think they are beyond comparison to any other band in history and i love to listen to their various live recordings and YouTube clips more these days.
But it's so obvious they have sold out, it's become a love hate relationship nowadays, nothing can tarnish what they have given and achieved but the greed of them now just gets in the way, especially Mick and Ronnie.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 5, 2018 17:45

There are five songs from it I play quite regularly and have done since it was released.

There are several more tracks I play when I'm in the mood to dig deeper into their catalog.

There are a few I haven't played in seven years or more.

The first five years since its release, it was part of the rotation for me. In those years I commuted to and from work and would play my entire collection in sequence while driving.

Since then I've worked remote or done shift work and I haven't bothered to undertake playing everything but instead tend to be more random.

Date: April 5, 2018 17:48

KevinLocksPerm
Personally I don't recall it as being a bad album. I just haven't listened to it in full since around 2006. It just fell off the radar. Maybe that would be a great album title "Off The Radar"

UNDER THE RADAR would be more appropriate.

Date: April 5, 2018 17:50

keithsman
Being totally honest iv'e played it possibly the least amount of times of any Stones album, 40 or 50 times so far.

That's not because its the worst Stones album, it's because as i get older i listen to CD's less and less, i'm gradually falling out of love with the band too.
Still think they are beyond comparison to any other band in history and i love to listen to their various live recordings and YouTube clips more these days.
But it's so obvious they have sold out, it's become a love hate relationship nowadays, nothing can tarnish what they have given and achieved but the greed of them now just gets in the way, especially Mick and Ronnie.

Understand where you are coming from.

I've only ever listened to Dirty Work twice. ABB probably no more than 10 times. Once they have ceased as a band I will feel more inclined to re-visit and listen to each record more frequently when I don't have to think about new tours and records.

Date: April 5, 2018 18:09

Even albums like DW and ABB have at least five very good songs on them each.

That's why I still play them smiling smiley

Biggest Mistake might be the song that grew the most on me. That tune's got depth, and the music leads me a bit back to Aftermath and the 60s pop sound.

I never really found the groove on Rain Fall Down, although it swings more than Suck On The Jugular.

I really like Keith's stuff on Let Me Down Slow.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:16

I still like the album, (although I haven't played it for a while). I bought it when I was travelling for 6 months through Europe, so it holds good memories for me. It probably is a bit too long though. And, production-wise, I don't think it sounds great......

Date: April 5, 2018 18:25

The mastering is the main flaw. The production itself is fine, I suspect. I don't think it's a situation like DIRTY WORK or GIMME SOME NECK where the production is off. I think it's mastered for maximum loudness which detracts from my enjoyment. The Universal reissues have the same problem.

The length of an album is irrelevant to my enjoyment. I made a CD-R of the Special Edition and added "Hurricane" from the Red Cross CD and had a 19 track version which I played regularly for 5 or 6 years.

The sequencing was a problem (as it was with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY). The songwriting wasn't consistent. I don't really have a problem with the performances. A little more variety might have helped or the sequencing might have alleviated that a bit.

There was a more soulful version of "It Won't Take Long" cut that was replaced with the more "garage band" version because the thinking was it sounded too close to "Gimme Shelter." I suspect I would have preferred that version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 18:26 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:26

Once again....
1. Overproduced
2. Too many songs
3. Left great songs like Under the Radar off

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:26

It's a good record, probably better than anything else since Steel Wheels, really (I like SW a lot, come at me! cool smiley. The band sounded like they were peaking playing-wise on Voodoo but the songs weren't that great. Some better songs on Bridges, but it was kind of a jumble. Bang has some really good tunes.

Date: April 5, 2018 18:27

Rocky Dijon
The mastering is the main flaw. The production itself is fine, I suspect. I don't think it's a situation like DIRTY WORK or GIMME SHELTER where the production is off. I think it's mastered for maximum loudness which detracts from my enjoyment. The Universal reissues have the same problem.

The length of an album is irrelevant to my enjoyment. I made a CD-R of the Special Edition and added "Hurricane" from the Red Cross CD and had a 19 track version which I played regularly for 5 or 6 years.

The sequencing was a problem (as it was with GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY). The songwriting wasn't consistent. I don't really have a problem with the performances. A little more variety might have helped or the sequencing might have alleviated that a bit.

There was a more soulful version of "It Won't Take Long" cut that was replaced with the more "garage band" version because the thinking was it sounded too close to "Gimme Shelter." I suspect I would have preferred that version.

You don't find the ABB-sound a bit «cold» as well?

Of my copies (vinyl, cd, dvd/cd deluxe and cassette), the cassette sounds best for some reason..

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:28

I wouldn't call it bad exactly, but given that there are no songs that really make you sit up and take notice, it's far too long.

If there were only ten tracks it might be easier to focus on them and appreciate the good qualities they do have, but as it is, the album feels like 100% filler.

Date: April 5, 2018 18:36

Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski

? What a nonsense

Maybe you are the non sense? I don't think I expressed anything different from what most people are saying here : a rather enjoyable album, well played but with no stand out songs and a very raw production that doesn't make things easier...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-05 18:56 by kowalski.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:58

MWasilewski
As a guy who was 15 years old at the time of the album premiere I want to add opinion from a bit different angle.

At the time, I was basically listening to the bands from the so called new rock revolution (The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, etc.) and let's say that I rather didn't adore all these rock dinosaurs from 60s and even 80s.

The first song of the Stones that I listened consciously to was probably Rain Fall Down. I was amazed, because the sound was fresh, even with comparison to the aforementioned young bands. I was really amazed that these old guys can make something that is not irrelevant. The whole album was even more delight. I really enjoy even the Streets of Love, I know that you despise it (but it's hard for me to conclude why).

So the first impression was very good. But after some time it turned out that I forgot about The Strokes, I forgot about Franz Ferdinand and other guys in skinny jeans and completely sank not only in ABB but other albums too. As I'm thinking about it right know, the reason for my enjoyment was unequalled quality of the Glimmer Twins songwriting; the sound was more or less fresh and appealing to younger me, but the quality of the bare songs was the key reason for me to love it.

Of course, I wonder what I would think about Bigger Bang if I listened to more acclaimed RS albums earlier. I don't know. I am aware that, because that was my first album of the band, I can't be objective about it. I really like it and from my perspective it is not only good album in comparison to other ones from 2005 but also in comparison to the whole RS discography.

thumbs upsmileys with beersmileys with beer

Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 5, 2018 18:59

A very good album, IMO. And yes, I'm often listening to it.

Date: April 5, 2018 19:07

kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski

? What a nonsense

Maybe you are the non sense? I don't think I expressed anything different from what most people are saying here : a rather enjoyable album, well played but with no stand out songs and a very raw production that doesn't make things easier...

Come on. Wasn't meant so harshly. You say ABB is too long, but that they should have added the two "DVD" songs. Isn't that strange?

Date: April 5, 2018 19:18

Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski

? What a nonsense

Come on. Wasn't meant so harshly. You say ABB is too long, but that they should have added the two "DVD" songs. Isn't that strange?

OK, now I see what you mean... Harshness on my part was indeed unnecessary smiling smiley It's too long but when you add the 2 bonus songs it makes a different album. I listened a lot to this 18-track album and enjoyed it a lot... Maybe because it reminded me of another 18 songs long album...

Date: April 5, 2018 19:25

kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski
Monsoon Ragoon
kowalski

? What a nonsense

OK, now I see what you mean... Harshness on my part was indeed unnecessary smiling smiley It's too long but when you add the 2 bonus songs it makes a different album. I listened a lot to this 18-track album and enjoyed it a lot... Maybe because it reminded me of another 18 songs long album...

So you think it's too long but you nevertheless enjoy every minute. Then it's obviously not their worst album ;-) To be honest, I have listened to the other 18 track album a lot more often since 2006.

Re: ALBUM TALK: A Bigger Bang
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 5, 2018 19:33

A Bigger Bang is the best album, what they did in the 21st Century!! drinking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home