Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: Keith honoring Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:32

Hairball
At this point I'd rather see this band live over the Stones which have become somewhat stale, predictable, choreographed, etc....and dare I say a bit boring?
Not sure everyone would agree with that, but pretty sure a majority here think last nights performance was a step above from what they expected.

Having only listened to the live telecast last night (after drinking a bottle of wine tongue sticking out smiley), and now having viewed all the video evidence with a morning coffee buzz (thanks to those for posting),
it's confirmed that this was a great performance no matter how you look at it.

Teetering on the tracks, hanging by a thread, unpredictability, a few bumps and bruises, then coming out of it all alive and well...that's what LIVE music is all about imo.

thumbs up smileys with beer

yeah but the Stones perform under optimal circumstances and have to maintain that predictability..

tough to do, and that they do it, has to be appreciated, imo..

like Charlie said once, every time the Stones go on tour, or perform, they risk reputation, which is everything..

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 18:35 by duke richardson.

Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:49

bye bye johnny
Photo from Keith's social media - Lisa Fischer, Sarah Dash, Bernard Fowler, KR, Waddy Wachtel

[twitter.com]

That is Lisa Fisher on the left?

Re: Keith at the Apollo
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:59

schillid

Trademark shaky video... LOL
I'm not watching through my phone of course

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:01

schillid
schillid

Thank you for filming Merry Clayton's acceptance!
Who spoke about her before that? What did they say?
What was the medal Keith got at the end of the show?
And other trenchant questions :E

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:06

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:13

with sssoul
schillid
schillid

Thank you for filming Merry Clayton's acceptance!

I recorded the concert and I can post the audio of these speeches later. smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:15

duke richardson
Hairball
At this point I'd rather see this band live over the Stones which have become somewhat stale, predictable, choreographed, etc....and dare I say a bit boring?
Not sure everyone would agree with that, but pretty sure a majority here think last nights performance was a step above from what they expected.

Having only listened to the live telecast last night (after drinking a bottle of wine tongue sticking out smiley), and now having viewed all the video evidence with a morning coffee buzz (thanks to those for posting),
it's confirmed that this was a great performance no matter how you look at it.

Teetering on the tracks, hanging by a thread, unpredictability, a few bumps and bruises, then coming out of it all alive and well...that's what LIVE music is all about imo.

thumbs up smileys with beer

yeah but the Stones perform under optimal circumstances and have to maintain that predictability..

tough to do, and that they do it, has to be appreciated, imo..

like Charlie said once, every time the Stones go on tour, or perform, they risk reputation, which is everything..

smiling smiley

Yes I agree it's admirable of them to maintain the predictability these days...haha.
Not as admirable as the old days though when anything could happen - now it's kind of like watching re-runs of a television show.
Maybe I'm a bit jaded by it all, but each tour seems to get more sterilized. As for recent tours, I saw them many times during Licks (theaters/club shows kept it unpredictable and interesting), about five or six times for ABB (still not sure why - once or twice would have been enough), 4 times on 50 Counting tour (because of Mick Taylor, and only in So.Cal and Vegas), and only once on Zip Code tour knowing what to expect. Same old song and dance. They've turned it into more of a scientific spectacle rather than an artform imo. A far cry from my first shows in 1981. While perhaps those weren't the best performance wise, there was a chaotic unpredictability that made it all exciting and memorable.

With all that said, I hope they come back to the US again. Whenever the Stones are in my town (or very near) , I'll be there. thumbs up

edit: And if Keith decides to do it all on his own with his band, count me in for multiple shows. There's still a glimmer of hope.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 19:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:25

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
It was indeed a fun night for an wonderful organization. Lots of great jazz and the pre show had some amazing music. I'm glad people enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I don't think it was a very good Keith performance, I actually much prefer The Rolling stones, hope that's still allowed on this board. smoking smiley

It does indeed sound better on the clips posted here, thanks for those. Something was off about the mix on the live feed.

Lol What do you mean you hope you can still prefer the Stones , and is that allowed on this board. Grow up Naturalust, who is stopping anyone from preferring the Stones. Im just buzzed about keith and Waddys Guitar work and you was wrong about keiths voice again !!

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it so much riffhards. I don't think I was wrong about anything though. I generally prefer Micks singing and Ronnie's playing on GS to what we got last night and think Keith has done many versions of Happy which blew away his performance last night. Check out the one from 2003 that Cristiano posted on this thread if you don't believe me.

My "prefer the Stones" comments seem applicable when we are talking about two Stones songs, it's just an opinion and I stick with it. Mick and Ronnie both do a better job on both of those songs than Bernard and Waddy did and in all honesty last night just confirmed for me exactly why we aren't going to see Keith out leading a band and touring behind CH.

I really enjoyed the performance and it's great to see Keith so happy and healthy. But I think it was a bit rough and wonky... I think Keith could do a lot better and if they would rehearse a bit it could sound a lot tighter. But i still think Ronnie's the best partner for Keith. He knows how to fill the gaps. However, after a little while Waddy would know how to handle Keith and Keith would feel comfortably with singing. It would be awesome. Still hoping for some gigs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 19:31 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 23, 2015 19:53

Just saw the Rolling Stone magazine clips. Fanfreakingtastic.That is all I have to say. And agree with what Hairball said about teetering on the tracks, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 19:58 by KatieGirl.

Date: October 23, 2015 19:57

KatieGirl
Just saw the Rolling Stone magazine clips. Fanfreakingtastic.That is all I have to say.

Rats & drats - they're still just audio for me. Where have I gone wrong?!

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:07

Hairball
Like a train teetering on the tracks, inches from the narrow edge of a steep cliff...and then arriving safely at the destination. thumbs up
HAIR BALL you have verbalized my thoughts exactly!! its exactly right - gimme shelter, I was losing my grip on it afraid it would all fall apart but sarah and lisa bought it back to line.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:07

with sssoul
KatieGirl
Just saw the Rolling Stone magazine clips. Fanfreakingtastic.That is all I have to say.

Rats & drats - they're still just audio for me. Where have I gone wrong?![/quote

Dear withssoul, I just clicked on the www.rollingstone.com link in CR's post.]

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:10

I love that trombone on happy!! good sound like sax on stones version. There was a great introduction to Merry Clayton's recorded message by a lady who said she called Merry after accident last year to cheer her up and that Merry cheered her up more and so the lady(who I can't remember her name) said, who is this woman, what is the woman made of. and said she knows Merry will be there next year and so she wrote a song called" Be Merry" and it ended with "Get your Ya Yas Out chorus. Then (via video from LA) Merry sang "you are so beautiful" and Quincy Jones made the presentation of award I think via video and he said "I love you".

At the end of the show, the announcer said that the Jazz Foundation director is getting a grant from NEA and that she will be presented at the Kennedy Center April 4 award show. and that Steve Jordan is making a show in tribute to B.B. King.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 20:18 by tumbled.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:23

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
It was indeed a fun night for an wonderful organization. Lots of great jazz and the pre show had some amazing music. I'm glad people enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I don't think it was a very good Keith performance, I actually much prefer The Rolling stones, hope that's still allowed on this board. smoking smiley

It does indeed sound better on the clips posted here, thanks for those. Something was off about the mix on the live feed.

Lol What do you mean you hope you can still prefer the Stones , and is that allowed on this board. Grow up Naturalust, who is stopping anyone from preferring the Stones. Im just buzzed about keith and Waddys Guitar work and you was wrong about keiths voice again !!

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it so much riffhards. I don't think I was wrong about anything though. I generally prefer Micks singing and Ronnie's playing on GS to what we got last night and think Keith has done many versions of Happy which blew away his performance last night. Check out the one from 2003 that Cristiano posted on this thread if you don't believe me.

My "prefer the Stones" comments seem applicable when we are talking about two Stones songs, it's just an opinion and I stick with it. Mick and Ronnie both do a better job on both of those songs than Bernard and Waddy did and in all honesty last night just confirmed for me exactly why we aren't going to see Keith out leading a band and touring behind CH.

Well as we have said before its all in the ear of the beholder. I just listened to the you tube clip of Happy from last night and its clear to see that Keith is playing so much more great guitar than when he is with the Stones.[www.youtube.com] Keith also seems energised By Steve Jordan's frantic Drumming, Its a joy to Watch them. I think you may be a bit biased when it comes to the Stones NL and i admire you for your loyalty towards them. But its misguided loyalty, they have become a circus act, if you watch Mick Live like i have done since 89' i know exactly every move he will make, where he will walk and turn and skip, go over this way and that way lift his hands and clap then down this side and that side yawn yawn, i'm just done with it. Why cant he just stand there and sing properly with the band instead of showing every one his aerobic workout. I found Keith's 2 songs last night more thrilling than a whole Stones show. Sorry but someone has to say it ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 20:24 by keefriffhards.

Date: October 23, 2015 20:33

KatieGirl
with sssoul
KatieGirl

Rats & drats - they're still just audio for me. Where have I gone wrong?!

Dear with sssoul, I just clicked on the www.rollingstone.com link in CR's post.]

That's what I've been doing, but the clips on the RS page are just audio for me. 8[
Unfair unfair [marching around in protest]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 20:44

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust

Well as we have said before its all in the ear of the beholder. I just listened to the you tube clip of Happy from last night and its clear to see that Keith is playing so much more great guitar than when he is with the Stones.[www.youtube.com] Keith also seems energised By Steve Jordan's frantic Drumming, Its a joy to Watch them. I think you may be a bit biased when it comes to the Stones NL and i admire you for your loyalty towards them. But its misguided loyalty, they have become a circus act, if you watch Mick Live like i have done since 89' i know exactly every move he will make, where he will walk and turn and skip, go over this way and that way lift his hands and clap then down this side and that side yawn yawn, i'm just done with it. Why cant he just stand there and sing properly with the band instead of showing every one his aerobic workout. I found Keith's 2 songs last night more thrilling than a whole Stones show. Sorry but someone has to say it ..

I don't agree at all. It was nice to hear Keith sing a verse on Gimme Shelter and it was refreshing to hear the song done different, but with Keith's familiar guitar. However the band last night doesn't hold a candle to the Rolling Stones.

By the way: Charlie Watts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 20:45 by Turner68.

Date: October 23, 2015 20:54

You must see the repetition of Stones shows. Surely everyone is tired of the set list's and stale performances. It could be fantastic with a bit of imagination like when they performed Sticky Fingers.
The show they keep performing can be found on countless DVD releases, i want more lol
Tell you what , how about Mick performing Tops and Keith performing Coming Down Again. Why not ??

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:08

with sssoul

Don't know sorry
See [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:15

keefriffhards

I think you may be a bit biased when it comes to the Stones NL and i admire you for your loyalty towards them. But its misguided loyalty, they have become a circus act, if you watch Mick Live like i have done since 89' i know exactly every move he will make, where he will walk and turn and skip, go over this way and that way lift his hands and clap then down this side and that side yawn yawn, i'm just done with it. Why cant he just stand there and sing properly with the band instead of showing every one his aerobic workout. I found Keith's 2 songs last night more thrilling than a whole Stones show. Sorry but someone has to say it ..

Perhaps I am a bit biased when it comes to the Stones. One of the reasons is that no matter how predictable the set lists have become each time I have seen them live it still gives me a genuine thrill and I end up renewing my bias all over again, often for different reasons. As a band they are still producing some kick ass live rock and roll, the very essence of which it present in spades every time they take the stage. I wasn't watching, only listening last night and maybe I'm just a product of my own expectations but the music didn't really stand up for me. Yes, a few moments of good mixed with more of just wondering what was wrong. To use the train analogy several people have here, it spent more time off the tracks than on them, something that doesn't ever happen at a Stones show.

As MonkeyMan2000 says, it's highly probably that Keith's group could have pulled it together better with more rehearsals, it was a quick pick up band after all. But contrarily, how much rehearsal does Keith really need to play GS and Happy? I also understand the excitement of seeing Keith in another setting for people who are bored with the Stones or "done with" Mick Jagger as you have said. I too would welcome another Keith tour but he's going to have to do better than last night to get me to actually pay to go see him. To be honest, I've seen local bar bands recently who's performance put last nights to shame. So yes it was exciting and entertaining, but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Finally, I think it was truly too bad Keith didn't play a song from his new record! No only was Happy not a good fit for the essence of the Jazz Foundation and the Merry Clayton tribute, we have all been very anxious to see him play one live and considering we are still celebrating the release, it was quite a missed opportunity, imo. I can't help thinking they choose Happy just to make it easier and more comfortable for Keith, since it is one of a couple songs he has played live so often recently.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:30

with sssoul

They say at the end of the Happy audio on youtube that it's a Keith Richards/Robert Johnson medal for saving jazz and blues.

And judging by that audio, the crowd were indeed extremely HaPpy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 21:31 by Beast.

Date: October 23, 2015 21:32

Naturalust
keefriffhards

I think you may be a bit biased when it comes to the Stones NL and i admire you for your loyalty towards them. But its misguided loyalty, they have become a circus act, if you watch Mick Live like i have done since 89' i know exactly every move he will make, where he will walk and turn and skip, go over this way and that way lift his hands and clap then down this side and that side yawn yawn, i'm just done with it. Why cant he just stand there and sing properly with the band instead of showing every one his aerobic workout. I found Keith's 2 songs last night more thrilling than a whole Stones show. Sorry but someone has to say it ..

Perhaps I am a bit biased when it comes to the Stones. One of the reasons is that no matter how predictable the set lists have become each time I have seen them live it still gives me a genuine thrill and I end up renewing my bias all over again, often for different reasons. As a band they are still producing some kick ass live rock and roll, the very essence of which it present in spades every time they take the stage. I wasn't watching, only listening last night and maybe I'm just a product of my own expectations but the music didn't really stand up for me. Yes, a few moments of good mixed with more of just wondering what was wrong. To use the train analogy several people have here, it spent more time off the tracks than on them, something that doesn't ever happen at a Stones show.

As MonkeyMan2000 says, it's highly probably that Keith's group could have pulled it together better with more rehearsals, it was a quick pick up band after all. But contrarily, how much rehearsal does Keith really need to play GS and Happy? I also understand the excitement of seeing Keith in another setting for people who are bored with the Stones or "done with" Mick Jagger as you have said. I too would welcome another Keith tour but he's going to have to do better than last night to get me to actually pay to go see him. To be honest, I've seen local bar bands recently who's performance put last nights to shame. So yes it was exciting and entertaining, but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Finally, I think it was truly too bad Keith didn't play a song from his new record! No only was Happy not a good fit for the essence of the Jazz Foundation and the Merry Clayton tribute, we have all been very anxious to see him play one live and considering we are still celebrating the release, it was quite a missed opportunity, imo. I can't help thinking they choose Happy just to make it easier and more comfortable for Keith, since it is one of a couple songs he has played live so often recently.

Don't get me wrong the Stones are still the best band in the world, i don't doubt that for a second. The energy when they perform is still there, and they clearly still love what they do. But, and its a big but, they could easily be so much better. They could switch 5 songs every night and start a tour with 10 new songs from the back catalogue that they have not performed in a long long time.

Date: October 23, 2015 21:39

Beast
They say at the end of the Happy audio on youtube that it's a Keith Richards/Robert Johnson medal for saving jazz and blues.

I heard that, my dear Beast, so I want to know more!
What's it look like, for example - maybe Keith and/or the Jazz Foundation will post a photo somewhere :E

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:42

Review from The Guardian

Link above to the whole thing. The headline & part about Keith below:

A Great Night In Harlem review – ramshackle Keith Richards tops jazz benefit bill

The third dedicated part of the show was a tribute to the courage of New Orleans soul singer Merry Clayton, in the aftermath of her injuries following a serious car crash in 2014. Her most significant performance was on Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, and Keith Richards was on hand to lead his X-Pensive Winos in a climactic salute by playing that very song.

He makes ragged ruggedness into a fine art, engagingly ramshackle as his riffs didn’t quite mesh with those of fellow axeman Waddy Wachtel, tunings slipping, his vocals an earthy contrast to the pristine soul cutting of Lisa Fischer. Yet Richards is so magnetic that he can shrug off any problems, including the disintegrating drumkit behind him, clanging riffs with his guitar held up in cello position. His vocals on Happy were roughshod, but supported by one of the best grinding soul-rock songs ever penned. His struck poses remain supremely casual, skeletal and perfectly judged. “I’m all for improvisation, you know me,” he drawled, in support of the jazz way, closing the show with its genuine high point, projecting right up to both levels of the Apollo’s steep balconies.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:45

keefriffhards
But, and its a big but, they could easily be so much better. They could switch 5 songs every night and start a tour with 10 new songs from the back catalogue that they have not performed in a long long time.

I'm not sure if I understand how adding different songs would make them better? It's more they way you play than what you play, right? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment?

Date: October 23, 2015 21:46

“I’m all for improvisation, you know me,” he drawled, in support of the jazz way,
closing the show with its genuine high point, projecting right up to both levels of the Apollo’s steep balconies.
Peace,
Mr DJA

Nice :E

Date: October 23, 2015 21:56

keefriffhards
Don't get me wrong the Stones are still the best band in the world, i don't doubt that for a second. The energy when they perform is still there, and they clearly still love what they do. But, and its a big but, they could easily be so much better. They could switch 5 songs every night and start a tour with 10 new songs from the back catalogue that they have not performed in a long long time.

Yes of course they could, there have been mounds of discussion about it here over the years, but the die seems to be set for the Stones. Keith on the other hand could have played Just a Gift or perhaps Lover's Plea or Nothing On Me last night and instead choose two Stones songs which he has played hundreds of times before. Perhaps Keith is the one unwilling to take set list chances. winking smiley

That guardian review was interesting: Ramshackle, ragged, riffs not meshing, tunings slipping, roughshod vocals...but concluding it's all good because it was Keith. I think that's the bottom line, we are willing to give Keith a whole lots of latitude because of who he is and what he has already given us over the years. I love the guy dearly and am just grateful he's still around to talk about actually. Don't mean to be so negative about last night, truly sorry if that offends some people.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:56

mr_dja
Review from The Guardian

Link above to the whole thing. The headline & part about Keith below:

A Great Night In Harlem review – ramshackle Keith Richards tops jazz benefit bill

The third dedicated part of the show was a tribute to the courage of New Orleans soul singer Merry Clayton, in the aftermath of her injuries following a serious car crash in 2014. Her most significant performance was on Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, and Keith Richards was on hand to lead his X-Pensive Winos in a climactic salute by playing that very song.

He makes ragged ruggedness into a fine art, engagingly ramshackle as his riffs didn’t quite mesh with those of fellow axeman Waddy Wachtel, tunings slipping, his vocals an earthy contrast to the pristine soul cutting of Lisa Fischer. Yet Richards is so magnetic that he can shrug off any problems, including the disintegrating drumkit behind him, clanging riffs with his guitar held up in cello position. His vocals on Happy were roughshod, but supported by one of the best grinding soul-rock songs ever penned. His struck poses remain supremely casual, skeletal and perfectly judged. “I’m all for improvisation, you know me,” he drawled, in support of the jazz way, closing the show with its genuine high point, projecting right up to both levels of the Apollo’s steep balconies.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Great review! Thanks,
and has anybody helped sssoul? She seen it yet? Help a sister out there.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2015 21:57

Just hope he won't turn into a Chuck Berry.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:00

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust

Me too thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2015 22:01

with sssoul

“I’m all for improvisation, you know me,” he drawled, in support of the jazz way,
closing the show with its genuine high point, projecting right up to both levels of the Apollo’s steep balconies.
Peace,
Mr DJA

Nice :E

Certainly brought a smile to my face.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home