Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 23, 2015 13:03

with sssoul

There was a wonky bit in the middle of Shelter, and I'm sorry Keith didn't sing more of it,
but they acquitted themselves very well!

+1 thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2015 13:20

Keith fired away a little solo a fret off, but that's only rock'n'roll.

Lovely version. Majestic thumbs up

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 13:54

Very good version. You could say he really took the house down.
Wish the Stones would play it like this.. smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2015 14:10

MonkeyMan2000
I would love to see a Winos-tour like that. I'm mean Keith could just sing a few verses, if he doesn't feel comfortable and let Bernard sing the rest...

Was thinking the same, how can you go wrong with Bernard next to you

He does so much more for Mick than what people realise..

He thickens Mick's Vocals, Mick would sound sparse without Bernard

Date: October 23, 2015 14:24

Keith was singing great. I think it was just a kind gesture from him, letting Bernard and Sarah (and Lisa, of course) sing extensively on GS, while he just did one verse himself.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 23, 2015 14:27

Thanks schillid, Cristiano and all for uploading the vids. What a great night!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2015 14:48

DandelionPowderman

That's a good word for it, even on my crummy little speakers.
That splendid spacious-thunder sound filling the theater must have been impressive

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 23, 2015 15:33

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

That's a good word for it, even on my crummy little speakers.
That splendid spacious-thunder sound filling the theater must have been impressive

The Periscope feed came from somewhere up in the balcony, and even on Periscope you could hear how thunderous it was - possibly more so than on the tidied-up radio broadcast.

Date: October 23, 2015 15:57

Beast
with sssoul

There was a wonky bit in the middle of Shelter, and I'm sorry Keith didn't sing more of it,
but they acquitted themselves very well!

+1 thumbs up

Well i even loved the wonky bit, keiths wonky bit is better than every one else's best bit >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:04

Rolling Stone magazine says Richards tore it up:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:12

Thanks to everyone who broadcast, recorded & posted the show. Unfortunately for me, I got home from work about 7:30 pm and, for whatever reason my body decided I should be asleep by 8:30ish (EDT). Although I did wake up around 10:00 and did think about the fact that this was going on, my body trumped my mind and went back to sleep. I'm VERY thankful for a community like IORR where I can wake up the next morning and "catch what I missed" the night before.

Agree with NL that Shelter got a bit "wonky" in the middle. Can't quite get with keefrifhards that the wonky bit was still better than everyone else's parts. Enjoyed the swapping of vocals. When Bernard started I was kinda worried that Keith wouldn't sing on it at all and was glad to hear him when he did.

Is it just me, or did Happy seem just a hair slower than when the Stones play it? Not significantly, just a couple bpm... It "felt" more laid back and less rushed that way and I LIKED IT possibly even better than normal. Don't get me wrong, I love the rushed, frantic, pushed, urgent way that the Stones play it (from the original to now it's always been one of my favorite Stones tunes) but, for a 70+ year old Keith, solo, it really seemed to work for HIM and last night's band. Not sure how it work in context of a Stones show presented like that but, I'm glad I got to hear it here. It worked for me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:12

Fantastic version of GS!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:14

Naturalust
That was pretty rough man. Made me appreciate Mick and Ronnie a lot more. Sorry, someone had to say it. Perhaps the live feed mixer was having a bad day, who knows?

it is supposed to be rough.

its rough but musically vivid and full of soul.

someone had to say it. thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2015 16:14

35love
[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks 35love! They say they have complete videos of both numbers but it sure looks like complete audio-only to me

Has anyone located a youtube clip where we can hear how Merry Clayton was introduced,
and/or a video of Happy that includes the medal awarded to Keith at the end?

Date: October 23, 2015 16:25

I cant understand why more of you are not knocked out by this performance. It just shows that Keith has to tour with the Wino's. He and Waddy are on another level to Ronnie when it comes to weaving. And although Keith shared the vocals, the bit he sang was better than ever. Who was it saying Keith can any sing ballads live. Said he has no voice for Rockers anymore. BS. Don't tell me i know who it was. Guys got issues with keith . yeah Keith sounding wonky sounds better than most other gutarists best bits. Whats hard to understand about that. Jezz you guys are downers. Do better yourselves and send the link to us, i could do with a laugh. Bunch of train spotters.
Oh thanks crawdaddy for the link thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:34

Date: October 23, 2015 16:36

duke richardson
Naturalust
That was pretty rough man. Made me appreciate Mick and Ronnie a lot more. Sorry, someone had to say it. Perhaps the live feed mixer was having a bad day, who knows?

it is supposed to be rough.

its rough but musically vivid and full of soul.

someone had to say it. thumbs up

+1

I prefer this big threatening storm over a perfect sunny day-version smiling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:45

It was indeed a fun night for an wonderful organization. Lots of great jazz and the pre show had some amazing music. I'm glad people enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I don't think it was a very good Keith performance, I actually much prefer The Rolling stones, hope that's still allowed on this board. smoking smiley

It does indeed sound better on the clips posted here, thanks for those. Something was off about the mix on the live feed.

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 16:53

It was a long time since I've heard a great version of Gimme Shelter !! Keith Fantastic ... Ronnie Wood to me I do not miss anythingthumbs downHappy beautiful version the best of the past years !Keith should go on tour with the Winos and not with the Stones !!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 23, 2015 17:10

Very enjoyable performance from all concerned.

GREAT to see, hear Keith happy and healthy...

However the original version remains one of the greatest songs the Stones
ever brought to rock and roll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 17:24 by stonesrule.

Date: October 23, 2015 17:11

Naturalust
It was indeed a fun night for an wonderful organization. Lots of great jazz and the pre show had some amazing music. I'm glad people enjoyed it so much. Sorry if I don't think it was a very good Keith performance, I actually much prefer The Rolling stones, hope that's still allowed on this board. smoking smiley

It does indeed sound better on the clips posted here, thanks for those. Something was off about the mix on the live feed.

Lol What do you mean you hope you can still prefer the Stones , and is that allowed on this board. Grow up Naturalust, who is stopping anyone from preferring the Stones. Im just buzzed about keith and Waddys Guitar work and you was wrong about keiths voice again !!

Re: Keith honoring Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 23, 2015 17:16

giving thanks

pure joy..

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2015 17:17

Am I the only person who actually thought that Merry Clayton was going to be there in person?

Date: October 23, 2015 17:19

Schillid dear, the announcements of the show said Merry was sending a tape.
Did you run into CloudCat?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 23, 2015 17:34

keefriffhards
Naturalust

Lol What do you mean you hope you can still prefer the Stones , and is that allowed on this board. Grow up Naturalust, who is stopping anyone from preferring the Stones. Im just buzzed about keith and Waddys Guitar work and you was wrong about keiths voice again !!

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it so much riffhards. I don't think I was wrong about anything though. I generally prefer Micks singing and Ronnie's playing on GS to what we got last night and think Keith has done many versions of Happy which blew away his performance last night. Check out the one from 2003 that Cristiano posted on this thread if you don't believe me.

My "prefer the Stones" comments seem applicable when we are talking about two Stones songs, it's just an opinion and I stick with it. Mick and Ronnie both do a better job on both of those songs than Bernard and Waddy did and in all honesty last night just confirmed for me exactly why we aren't going to see Keith out leading a band and touring behind CH.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:01

At this point I'd rather see this band live over the Stones which have become somewhat stale, predictable, choreographed, etc....and dare I say a bit boring?
Not sure everyone would agree with that, but pretty sure a majority here think last nights performance was a step above from what they expected.

Having only listened to the live telecast last night (after drinking a bottle of wine tongue sticking out smiley), and now having viewed all the video evidence with a morning coffee buzz (thanks to those for posting),
it's confirmed that this was a great performance no matter how you look at it.

Teetering on the tracks, hanging by a thread, unpredictability, a few bumps and bruises, then coming out of it all alive and well...that's what LIVE music is all about imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 18:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:10

35love
[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks for posting, 35love! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:23

bye bye johnny
Maybe he isn't.

Well, "Maybe Keith is playing bass tonight" implies that. No need to be redundant.

Date: October 23, 2015 18:26

crawdaddy
[youtu.be]

THanks crawdaddy! [peering hard] CloudCat, is that you dancing in the lower left, before the man with a phone steps in?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2015 18:27

with sssoul
Schillid dear, the announcements of the show said Merry was sending a tape.
Did you run into CloudCat?

Must've missed that.
Didn't meet CC... low profile...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home