Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2015 06:35

Naturalust
That was pretty rough man. Made me appreciate Mick and Ronnie a lot more. Sorry, someone had to say it. Perhaps the live feed mixer was having a bad day, who knows?

Agree about Mick, disagree about Ronnie.
Waddy sounded a step above what Ronnie usually plays, but then again he's a jack-of -all-trades/studio-wiz so to speak.

I wasn't watching on periscope but listening to the live feed on small computer speakers,
and at one point during Happy Keith seemed to play totally out of key.
Or maybe it could have been the live feed mixer having a bad day....smiling smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2015 06:51

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 06:52

Sometimes it's fun to hear others' attempts at songs. Of course it's not as great as the Stones, but it was still FUN!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 23, 2015 06:54

Oh it was FUN, yes! Thank you IORR, and Selene periscope!
Love the Stones, this foundation, Merry- very special.

Date: October 23, 2015 07:07

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 07:17

thx CR

Posted by: rbagel ()
Date: October 23, 2015 07:17

The whole evening was well paced, with not a lot of wasted time as is usually the case at such award/benefit shows. The sightlines from the upper balcony are superior to those of the Beacon Theater, which was a pleasant surprise, though the Apollo in general seems in need of a refurbishment. Sonny Rolllins was articulate and gracious albeit frail. It was sobering to think it has been a full five years since I had seen him play live. Keith's songs did not disapoint, though foolish me I thought we would get one song from Crosseyed Heart, but instead got Happy. Funny that even in this abbreviated appearance it is possible to lapse into a "Warhorse" discussion and beg for newer material. But Keith was intent on keeping it mainstream and recognizable. It was odd to see Keith without a pirate bandana or ornaments in his hair; he looked like a (nearly) typical elderly English gentleman, which actually was refreshing and cool. Steve Jordan sounded like a powerful engine on Happy, and along with Waddy being out there it got me dieing for some live Winos. Please guys get out there! The evening was wonderful, short and sweet, and the most critical I could be is to say that there had to be ten sax players who took the stage who were far superior to Karl Denson (who had a tough job of filling Bobby Keys' shoes). Bernard Fowler, Lisa Fischer, and Sara Dash all contributed nicely in complimenting Keith. For $75 and a few swipes of a Metro Card, it was a tremendous bargain.

Date: October 23, 2015 07:36

rbagel
The whole evening was well paced, with not a lot of wasted time as is usually the case at such award/benefit shows. The sightlines from the upper balcony are superior to those of the Beacon Theater, which was a pleasant surprise, though the Apollo in general seems in need of a refurbishment. Sonny Rolllins was articulate and gracious albeit frail. It was sobering to think it has been a full five years since I had seen him play live. Keith's songs did not disapoint, though foolish me I thought we would get one song from Crosseyed Heart, but instead got Happy. Funny that even in this abbreviated appearance it is possible to lapse into a "Warhorse" discussion and beg for newer material. But Keith was intent on keeping it mainstream and recognizable. It was odd to see Keith without a pirate bandana or ornaments in his hair; he looked like a (nearly) typical elderly English gentleman, which actually was refreshing and cool. Steve Jordan sounded like a powerful engine on Happy, and along with Waddy being out there it got me dieing for some live Winos. Please guys get out there! The evening was wonderful, short and sweet, and the most critical I could be is to say that there had to be ten sax players who took the stage who were far superior to Karl Denson (who had a tough job of filling Bobby Keys' shoes). Bernard Fowler, Lisa Fischer, and Sara Dash all contributed nicely in complimenting Keith. For $75 and a few swipes of a Metro Card, it was a tremendous bargain.

Thanks for the review, rbagel. It must have been a great night to you! thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2015 07:38

Here's the audio for Happy, for those who weren't able to follow the live broadcast:

[www.youtube.com]

And a better audio of Gimme Shelter:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:15

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:18

Cristiano Radtke
Here's the audio for Happy, for those who weren't able to follow the live broadcast:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Terrific! thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:23

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Ahhhh I thought RipThisBone was just making a guess....is that official?
Oh well - if true nice 'setlist'!

If he was guessing or pretending to know again, it'll be the last time I'll trust him angry smiley

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:25

C'mon Keef, we want a solo tour...and bring Charley Drayton on!

Date: October 23, 2015 08:31

schillid
[youtu.be]

Thanks, schillid! thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2015 08:31

Fun night.

Nice to see two of my heroes on the same bill! Keith is one and Donald Fagen is the other.

Thank you to Bye Bye Johnny and iorr/bv

Posted by: z ()
Date: October 23, 2015 08:47

Naturalust
That was pretty rough man. Made me appreciate Mick and Ronnie a lot more. Sorry, someone had to say it. Perhaps the live feed mixer was having a bad day, who knows?

If that's what it takes to make you appreciate Ronnie more...OK.

Date: October 23, 2015 09:04

KRiffhard
Cristiano Radtke

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Terrific! thumbs upsmileys with beer

thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: October 23, 2015 09:17

Yes, I watched it again and concluded that the live feed mixer is a total jerk.

Re: Win tickets to see Keith at the Apollo
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 23, 2015 09:19

desertblues68
swiss
Cristiano Radtke
swiss
Thanks for posting, Cristiano!

Are you entering? Would you come up to NY for this?

- swiss

Hi, swiss! I would love to be in NY but I can't. sad smiley

Dang, I didn't win - wonder who did!

- swiss

Sorry to hear that Swiss. Hope you get to see Keith and the band soon.

Thanks dessertblue, me too! and to you as well. tongue sticking out smiley

Keith at the Apollo
Date: October 23, 2015 09:26

Date: October 23, 2015 09:28

rbagel

Love the review, thank you for posting! Great observation about Keith looking natural--looking cool being himself. Yay Keith!

Date: October 23, 2015 09:31

Cristiano Radtke

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Right on! Thanks, Cristiano. Man o man I bet the audience was bopping! So glad some people "we know" got to go--what a thrill for a Thursday night.

Date: October 23, 2015 09:58

What's that big black instrument on the left? Kinda look like keyboards but much bigger! winking smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2015 10:15

Cristiano Radtke
schillid
[youtu.be]

Thanks, schillid! thumbs up

Oh my God that raised the roof, i cant express how Kick ass that was compared to how its played with the Stones lately. The song almost falls to sleep several times with Mick singing, but this Rocks, Thanks for the Link schillid thumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 23, 2015 10:28

This version of Happy shows to me that the Pedal steel with Ronnie really sucks now. Waddy really Rocks with Keith, this is encouraging for some solo Keith Live.
KEITH STILL ROCKS HARD. I seriously don't know what your on about Naturalust, Waddy did a great job IMHO on both tracks, and Bernard just blew me away on Shelter. Nothing about this performance suggests that Keith really missed Mick and Ronnie, you make it up as you go along. Do your ears work properly ???

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2015 11:47

z
What's that big black instrument on the left? Kinda look like keyboards but much bigger! winking smiley

It sounds mighty fine - the Stones should get one!

There was a wonky bit in the middle of Shelter, and I'm sorry Keith didn't sing more of it,
but they acquitted themselves very well! Is there a youtube clip of what whoever said about Merry Clayton,
and/or her taped acceptance speech?

Re: Keith at the Apollo
Date: October 23, 2015 11:50

schillid

Fabulous! Thanks for posting, schillid thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2015 12:00

with sssoul
Is there a youtube clip of what whoever said about Merry Clayton, and/or her taped acceptance speech?

Ah - schillid's invisible clip includes part of Merry's splendid acceptance song:

[www.youtube.com]

Brilliant! Little Sarah Dash holding her own in between her two tall colleagues - hope she could breathe! :E

Schillid, did you meet CloudCat?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 12:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 23, 2015 12:22

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 12:46 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 12:47

I would love to see a Winos-tour like that. I'm mean Keith could just sing a few verses, if he doesn't feel comfortable and let Bernard sing the rest...

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home