Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13
Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:30

bv
Keith is expected to play two songs live at this event, according to the FB pages:

Two songs equals two thumbs up!!!!

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:31

gwen
Waiting on a friend, maybe?

really why do ya think

Date: October 21, 2015 00:34

35love
Wow, I didn't realize Merry lost both her legs in her accident last year :-(

I'm so glad they are giving her a special honor- still need to see the film '20 feet from Stardom'
God bless, sounds like a great foundation, hope the show is taped to view somehow, and very cool Cloudcat-

Shit really does happen. Keith has a kind heart don't you think, i'm listening to Exile, it takes the highs beyond high

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:36

CloudCat
i got my ticket!
anyone else going to be there?

it's a really great organization, worthy of support, and wowie! keith richards!

Cool - go girl, go!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:43

My guess: Trouble and Gimme Shelter.

Date: October 21, 2015 00:46

Cristiano Radtke

i'm just too exited about this prospect, just when you think you got it all from keith he comes back with a little more, dont ya just luv em

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:48

Sounds like a worthy tribute to all.

Can't wait to hear about the show, Cloucat and anyone else.
Good going, Keith!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: October 21, 2015 00:48

Cristiano Radtke

Great guess.

My guess: Gimme Shelter, and perhaps one of the slower tunes from Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:51

Happy and Before They Make Me Run winking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:52

Cristiano Radtke

That was my first thought too Cristiano, but I figured he would choose a second song which honored Ms. Clayton and/or the other honorees a bit more than Trouble. Of course his performing at all (and GS) is honor enough but I'm thinking he might go deeper with something with an honorable sentiment. Trouble isn't that.

Date: October 21, 2015 01:02

Naturalust
Cristiano Radtke

That was my first thought too Cristiano, but I figured he would choose a second song which honored Ms. Clayton and/or the other honorees a bit more than Trouble. Of course his performing at all (and GS) is honor enough but I'm thinking he might go deeper with something with an honorable sentiment. Trouble isn't that.

did you think the other night when he was with Steve Jordan something was cooking, its going to be another keef moment i can feel it in my bones he is going to knock us out again smiling smiley

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 01:03

I would love to hear The Nearness Of You. I think that's the "jazziest" song Keith did on stage

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 01:04 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 21, 2015 01:09

Naturalust
Cristiano Radtke

That was my obvious choice because Trouble is the single, but I think you're right. Let's see what happens, though. grinning smiley

Date: October 21, 2015 01:24

A duet with Merry on Illusion would have been awesome as well.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 21, 2015 01:42

MonkeyMan2000

ha!

Date: October 21, 2015 02:08

CloudCat
MonkeyMan2000

ha!

Hehe that would be annoying lol winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 11:01 by keefriffhards.

Date: October 21, 2015 02:40

Seems like KR will indeed perform Gimme Shelter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.nytimes.com]

Keith Richards Honors Merry Clayton After Car Crash
By JOE COSCARELLI
OCT. 20, 2015

The session singer Merry Clayton, best known for her fire-starting vocal runs on the Rolling Stones’ song “Gimme Shelter,” was still reaching new highs when she was involved in a serious car accident last year.

Just a few months before the June 2014 crash, the film “20 Feet From Stardom,” which put backup singers including Ms. Clayton front and center, won an Academy Award for best documentary, after its Grammy victory for best music film.

“Oh my God, I was at the pinnacle — I was at the top of my game,” she said recently in her first interview since the accident. “I was overwhelmed at what had transpired with the film and then to just go out for a moment and in that moment your life is changed.”

More than a year later, Ms. Clayton, 66, is returning gradually to public view, having lost both her legs as a result of the accident. On Thursday, she will receive the Clark & Gwen Terry Award for Courage at the Jazz Foundation of America’s “A Great Night in Harlem” gala at the Apollo, where Sonny Rollins will also receive a lifetime achievement honor. Ms. Clayton will accept her award in a taped segment from her home in Los Angeles, while Keith Richards will note the occasion with a live performance of “Gimme Shelter,” the first track from the Stones’ 1969 album, “Let It Bleed.”

After five months in the hospital, Ms. Clayton has been undergoing what she called “intense therapy” in Los Angeles. “It’s been a lot of learning and a lot of adjusting,” she said by phone. “It was a rough one, but I’m from some strong, strong stock and from strong, strong believers.”

Raised as a gospel singer, she credited her faith — along with the support of her family; her manager, Alan Abrahams; and friends, like the record executive Lou Adler — with helping her recover. The Jazz Foundation and MusiCares, a charity affiliated with the Grammys for ailing musicians, also “came to the rescue immediately,” Ms. Clayton said, for instance, helping to add a stair lift to her house.

“It’s not an easy task, but I am just so determined,” Ms. Clayton said of her rehabilitation. “If I was determined enough to make it out of that hospital alive and better, I can certainly forge straight ahead.”

She said the gravity of her accident became clear to her only recently, when she saw something about prosthetics on television. “It finally hit me after maybe a year and a half,” Ms. Clayton said. “I stopped and I looked at this and said, ‘Oh my God, that’s me.’ ”

“One of my goals is to get back on my feet again,” she added. “My mind is good, my heart is good and hope is a wonderful thing.”

Ms. Clayton, who also sang backup for Ray Charles, Carole King and Neil Young, said Mr. Richards had called her recently to “dish the tea” about his performance at the Jazz Foundation event, proceeds from which will benefit the organization’s Musicians Emergency Fund. “He said, ‘Hello, darling, it’s Keith,’ ” she recalled. “Who else would be saying, ‘Hello, darling’ ”?

Beyond the tribute, new music is in the works, with a comeback project planned for next year, Ms. Clayton said. “I’ve always wanted to bless people with my voice because it’s my gift from God,” she said. “I’m still gorgeous, and guess what, I still have my voice. As long as I have my chops and I’m still looking wonderful, why should I go back?”

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 02:56

This is great. Is someone going to periscope it?

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 07:45

wanderingspirit66

Beyond the tribute, new music is in the works, with a comeback project planned for next year, Ms. Clayton said. “I’ve always wanted to bless people with my voice because it’s my gift from God,” she said. “I’m still gorgeous, and guess what, I still have my voice. As long as I have my chops and I’m still looking wonderful, why should I go back?”

Yup, she’s still gorgeous indeed. Godspeed on the road to recovery.

Mick and Keith probably drew straws to determine who would be lucky enough perform at this event. Let's pray we can hear Merry sing Gimme Shelter on stage with Mick one day soon. More than Taylor’s abrupt departure, I’m baffled as to why she hasn’t been touring with the Stones for the last 40 years.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 21, 2015 08:47

The director who did "Under the influence" also directed "20 feet from stardom" so it was a perfect fit for Keith to be there. Oh to be there.....

Date: October 21, 2015 11:03

Keith pays tribute to Merry Clayton, and Mick sings with Taylor Swift.... eye rolling smiley

Hope to see some periscope and/or videos of Keith!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 21, 2015 14:26

Keith pays tribute to Merry Clayton, and Mick is, so far as I know, still busy in Cuba negotiating a future Stones date. As Swayed1967 says, they probably drew straws - and I can't somehow see Keith negotiating in Cuba!

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 21, 2015 15:11

Green Lady
Keith pays tribute to Merry Clayton, and Mick is, so far as I know, still busy in Cuba negotiating a future Stones date. As Swayed1967 says, they probably drew straws - and I can't somehow see Keith negotiating in Cuba!

Mick has left Cuban shores. He was out painting London town red a week ago in the same venue as a fellow fan, who spotted him there and even exchanged a few words with him.

Date: October 21, 2015 16:06

Green Lady

LOL! grinning smiley

Date: October 21, 2015 16:13

Beast
Green Lady

Mick has left Cuban shores. He was out painting London town red a week ago in the same venue as a fellow fan, who spotted him there and even exchanged a few words with him.

Quite so, and in fact spotted the following night too! The first night he was dancing in a restaurant (which doesn't actually have a dance floor) and the following night at an art exhibition. It should be said, he wasn't the only one dancing!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 21, 2015 16:38

MonkeyMan2000
I would love to hear The Nearness Of You. I think that's the "jazziest" song Keith did on stage

Oh Lord Don't Let Them Drop That Atomic Bomb on Me would be brilliant! :E

Date: October 21, 2015 18:58

DandelionPowderman
Green Lady

LOL! grinning smiley

smiling smiley

Well Keith has a Jamaican home not far from Cuba...just "over the pond" so to speak.
His skills at negotiating throughout the Caribbean should not be underestimated . winking smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 21, 2015 20:43

Go Keith go!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 21, 2015 21:56

Turner68
This is great. Is someone going to periscope it?

Yess! Scope the F***er! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 21, 2015 22:27

Beast
Green Lady

yeah, Mick was saying...i love Crosseyed heart and hope Keef will do some solo gigs.
jeroen

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home