Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13
Keith honors Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 20, 2015 15:43

Rollins, Richards among attendees at jazz foundation benefit

Oct. 20, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) — Saxophonist Sonny Rollins will receive a lifetime achievement prize from the Jazz Foundation of America, and Keith Richards will be on hand at the gala to honor former Rolling Stones backup singer Merry Clayton.

The foundation announced Tuesday that the lineup for its 14th annual "A Great Night In Harlem" benefit gala also will feature performances by Randy Weston, Ravi Coltrane, Donald Fagen and many others. Actor and activist Danny Glover will host a musical tribute to the late civil rights leader Julian Bond, who died earlier this year.

The program will take place Thursday at the Apollo Theater.

Rollins, 85, is widely regarded as one of the greatest living jazz musicians. He is being given an award that previously went to Quincy Jones and Herbie Hancock, among others.

Clayton, who suffered numerous injuries in a car accident in 2014, is to receive the foundation's first ever Clark & Gwen Terry Award for courage. A backup singer for many major performers, Clayton is known to Rolling Stones fans for her searing vocals on the classic "Gimme Shelter" and was featured in the Oscar-winning documentary about backup singers, "20 Feet from Stardom."

Rollins also has a place in the Stones' history: His work is featured on the ballad "Waiting On a Friend" and on the raucous "Neighbors."

Proceeds from Thursday's event will be donated to the foundation's Musicians Emergency Fund. The jazz foundation provides a wide range of services, from helping to pay rent to providing medical care.

Online: [www.jazzfoundation.org]

[bigstory.ap.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 00:01 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 20, 2015 15:59

Great thanks thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 20, 2015 16:02

Thanks for the info. Good of him to honor her.
Jeroen

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 20, 2015 17:02

I guess this press release article is only to inform of this event..

but its a serious omission not to mention Sonny Rollins' performance on

'Slave'. its a standout contribution and displays his playing at its finest,

in my opinion.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2015 17:24

Very fitting
Thanks for posting

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 20, 2015 18:32

Nice

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2015 18:39

Good old Keith sure gets around these days! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 20, 2015 19:08

From KeithRichards.com:

New York, NY, October 19, 2015 – The Jazz Foundation of America (JFA) will host its 14th Annual "A Great Night in Harlem" gala event on Thursday, October 22, at the historic Apollo Theater in Harlem. All proceeds raised benefit the JFA's Musicians Emergency Fund. The concert is the Foundation’s way of reminding everyone, through this historical shared experience, the immeasurable contributions these creative artists have made to American Music today. JFA is announcing a partnership with their new Director of Special Events and Development, the evening's musical director Steve Jordan, who has curated an evening of incredible performances. Jordan is bringing together celebrated musicians, and guests to recognize legendary artists and icons through singular performances.

Jazz legend Sonny Rollins will receive The Jazz Foundation of America's Lifetime Achievement Award with performances by Donald Fagen, Randy Weston, Randy Brecker, Jimmy Heath, Buster Williams, Billy Harper, Benny Golson, James Carter, Al Foster, Cecil Bridgewater, George Cables, Ravi Coltrane, Jack DeJohnette and Bob Cranshaw. Past recipients of this award include Bono, Herbie Hancock and JFA Board member Quincy Jones
Merry Clayton, who was featured in the Academy Award-winning documentary 20 Feet From Stardom, and who suffered a grave car accident last year, will receive JFA's first Clark & Gwen Terry Award For Courage. Morgan Neville produced a short film and Steve Jordan created a musical tribute that includes Valerie Simpson, Renée Fleming, Lisa Fischer, Sara Dash, Nona Hendryx, Will Lee, Ray Parker Jr., Ivan Neville, and more.

In honor of Merry Clayton, Keith Richards will be performing with Waddy Wachtell, Ivan Neville, Willie Weeks, Steve Jordan, Sarah Dash, Lisa Fischer and Bernard Fowler.

As part of this incredible evening, JFA Board Member Danny Glover will host a musical tribute honoring the late Civil Rights activist Julian Bond featuring performances by Keb' Mo', DavellCrawford and Kimberly Nicole.

About The Jazz Foundation of America For 26 years, the Jazz Foundation of America (JFA) has been keeping jazz and blues alive by helping the musicians who played with everyone from Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday to Jimi Hendrix and The Rolling Stones. It currently assists in more than 5,000 cases a year nationwide. [jazzfoundation.org]

Programs include:

Preventing homelessness, hunger and eviction by paying rents and mortgages and providing emergency financial assistance
Creating dignified work through our Agnes Varis Jazz & Blues in the School program, which employs over 250 musicians every month and 70,000 audience members a year—from public school children to seniors in nursing homes
Providing free medical care, including surgery, via a partnership with Englewood Hospital & Medical Center, who have donated $7 million in services since 1994
Funding for the Musicians' Emergency Fund when illness, hunger, accident or crisis strikes

* Tickets and donations can be purchased and made at http://jazzfoundation.org/Apollo2015.

SAVING JAZZ AND BLUES... ONE MUSICIAN AT A TIME.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-20 19:12 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 20, 2015 19:13

You've got to think Keith will be playing Gimme Shelter to honor Ms. Clayton, but with that lineup it's entirely possible we will get a performance of a CrossEyed Heart song!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2015 19:17

Wow...if performance line is true, miracles happen. thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 20, 2015 19:19

Naturalust
You've got to think Keith will be playing Gimme Shelter to honor Ms. Clayton, but with that lineup it's entirely possible we will get a performance of a CrossEyed Heart song!

I've got to believe your first instinct is probably accurate. I will be hoping that your second thought comes true as well!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 20, 2015 20:19

Either way, it sounds promising!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 20, 2015 20:41

Wow!!! ... Keith sure is gettin' around ... maybe they'll perform Gimmie

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 20, 2015 20:54

with Lisa in the lineup its likely Shelter..

hope they do more than one tune..

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 20, 2015 22:01

Can't wait to hear what that line-up will produce - it will probably be Shelter in honour of Merry Clayton (and the Winos used to do a great Shelter..) Fingers crossed that they have time for something else as well, but in a big show like that they might only get one song.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 20, 2015 23:06

i got my ticket!
anyone else going to be there?

it's a really great organization, worthy of support, and wowie! keith richards!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 20, 2015 23:21

Keith is expected to play two songs live at this event, according to the FB pages:

[www.facebook.com]

From Nina: Waddy's on his way to NYC to play 2 songs with Keith Richards at the Jazz Foundation of America's 14th annual “A Great night in Harlem” event as Sonny Rollins receives a Lifetime Achievement Award .... at the Apollo Theater 10/22/15.

Bjornulf

Date: October 20, 2015 23:22

thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 20, 2015 23:27

CloudCat
i got my ticket!

WoW indeed - good going CloudCat! Be sure to let Keith know all the right things

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 20, 2015 23:43

CloudCat
i got my ticket!

Awesome, How I Wish….

Date: October 21, 2015 00:00

Did you get that people, Keith is singing two songs, Oh my god this is fantastic smileys with beer At last. He looked good the other night and now he is focussed again

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:00

Thursday night. Harlem. Got it, thanks.

Date: October 21, 2015 00:01

CloudCat
i got my ticket!

You are one lucky cat CloudCat, you deserve to be there, enjoy my friend smiling smiley

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:03

NY Times says he will sing Gimme Shelter.
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:05

They got it here first ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:09

keefriffhards
Did you get that people, Keith is singing two songs, Oh my god this is fantastic smileys with beer At last. He looked good the other night and now he is focussed again

Nobody said anything about singing 2 songs my friend but I wouldn't be surprised if Keith does take lead vocal duties on one of them. The question is which tune will he pick besides Gimme Shelter? The Jazz Foundation part has me unsure whether he will possibly try something from that genre. Should be good in any case, hope we get some good videos of the event shortly afterwards.

It would be awesome if someone would periscope the event but I'm guessing it's one of those no audience cameras/recordings type event.

Date: October 21, 2015 00:13

Rockman

They got it here first ....

Does it get any better than this, mind you i'm fully loaded tonight hot smiley

Date: October 21, 2015 00:14

Naturalust
keefriffhards

Nobody said anything about singing 2 songs my friend but I wouldn't be surprised if Keith does take lead vocal duties on one of them. The question is which tune will he pick besides Gimme Shelter? The Jazz Foundation part has me unsure whether he will possibly try something from that genre. Should be good in any case, hope we get some good videos of the event shortly afterwards.

It would be awesome if someone would periscope the event but I'm guessing it's one of those no audience cameras/recordings type event.

BV said he is expected to play two songs, whats your problem naturebust lol

maybe he will sing a song from the album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-21 00:17 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:28

Waiting on a friend, maybe?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 21, 2015 00:30

Wow, I didn't realize Merry lost both her legs in her accident last year :-(

I'm so glad they are giving her a special honor- still need to see the film '20 feet from Stardom'
God bless, sounds like a great foundation, hope the show is taped to view somehow, and very cool Cloudcat-

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home