Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Too Tight
Date: October 26, 2015 22:00

GasLightStreet
So, this intro some of you are saying you like, are you talking about the strangled bird tweets and chugging in the very beginning or when the guitar goes A DUNNA DUNNA DUNNAA DUNNNNNN when the drums kick in? They should've edited off that strangled bits and just gone to the A DUNNA DUNNA DUNNAA DUNNNNNN part, which starts at 15 seconds in. Too much nothing happening before that.

What about the ending of Flip The Switch? I guess garage bands were in fashion that year, or at least Mick and Don Was thought so...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 26, 2015 23:33

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
So, this intro some of you are saying you like, are you talking about the strangled bird tweets and chugging in the very beginning or when the guitar goes A DUNNA DUNNA DUNNAA DUNNNNNN when the drums kick in? They should've edited off that strangled bits and just gone to the A DUNNA DUNNA DUNNAA DUNNNNNN part, which starts at 15 seconds in. Too much nothing happening before that.

What about the ending of Flip The Switch? I guess garage bands were in fashion that year, or at least Mick and Don Was thought so...

But that's actually a killer tune and it's the END of the tune. When something good falls apart like that it's nice. Too Tight seems to imitate falling together at the beginning before having a proper kick in. I dunno. It just seems so 'mehhhhhh'. Or should it be 'ehhhhhhhh'?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 26, 2015 23:50

I just listened to "Too Tight" for the first time in a while.

It's somewhere between weak and middle of the road Stones-by-Numbers. If "sad sad sad" is a 7/10 stones-by-numbers tune, i'd give "Too Tight" a 4.

The intro is just bad, IMO. It's like they said "let's do something cool and creative with the intro" and then just randomly picked a take that happened to be different from the others and went out to a park somewhere and recorded the birds choking.

Whereas back when they were a fully functioning creative unit they'd have taken several days just to get the intro right.

Date: October 26, 2015 23:56

Turner68
I just listened to "Too Tight" for the first time in a while.

It's somewhere between weak and middle of the road Stones-by-Numbers. If "sad sad sad" is a 7/10 stones-by-numbers tune, i'd give "Too Tight" a 4.

The intro is just bad, IMO. It's like they said "let's do something cool and creative with the intro" and then just randomly picked a take that happened to be different from the others and went out to a park somewhere and recorded the birds choking.

Whereas back when they were a fully functioning creative unit they'd have taken several days just to get the intro right.

HA HA! They forgot the 'let's do something cool' part outright! It's amazing they didn't chop that warm up that's an "intro" like they'd done so many times before (Hang Fire is a good example) and just cut to the song.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 6, 2020 15:19

muhahaha i just pictured the "strangled bird tweets" which is a good metaphor i suppose but not at all for this intro. which is clearly supposed to invoke the picture of a quivering cat getting ready to jump at small rodents in the grass or something. I also didn't read all four pages but I do remember lots of people calling this a "fun little rocker" or "throwaway track" which imo just means they didn't pay attention to or didn't fully get the lyrics because then they would know it is one of the most important tracks regarding the overall message of the album.

Date: October 6, 2020 19:29

Nikkei
muhahaha i just pictured the "strangled bird tweets" which is a good metaphor i suppose but not at all for this intro. which is clearly supposed to invoke the picture of a quivering cat getting ready to jump at small rodents in the grass or something. I also didn't read all four pages but I do remember lots of people calling this a "fun little rocker" or "throwaway track" which imo just means they didn't pay attention to or didn't fully get the lyrics because then they would know it is one of the most important tracks regarding the overall message of the album.

Only if you play "I wrote that @#$%& book" backwards.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 6, 2020 19:48

I'm not a sound expert, but that song and album sounds cold and brittle. There's none of the warmth of an acoustic guitar, no bottom that Bill's bass used to inhabit, very little in the way of harmonic backing vocals.

Date: October 6, 2020 19:59

wonderboy
I'm not a sound expert, but that song and album sounds cold and brittle. There's none of the warmth of an acoustic guitar, no bottom that Bill's bass used to inhabit, very little in the way of harmonic backing vocals.

I agree, but Anybody Seen My Baby and How Can I Stop are the exceptions. They sound somewhat 'warmer' than the rest of the lot. The b-side Anywhere You Look At It, too.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:12

DandelionPowderman
wonderboy

I agree, but Anybody Seen My Baby and How Can I Stop are the exceptions. They sound somewhat 'warmer' than the rest of the lot. The b-side Anywhere You Look At It, too.

Yeah, How Can I Stop has a wonderful, late-night, smoky quality. Very intimate. You can feel the room.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:18

I think you judge Too Tight too harshlly most of you.Five years ago I had this coment:

"A fresh and quite superb rocker. Not revolutionary, but a filler, that becomes more than a filler. Well the lyrics might not be nobel prize material, but there is a no nonsense feeling in them, that I like. Literally a man wanting some space in the relationship. And Jaggers way of delievering it makes it a boasting complaint from a man who's todger is too big (the aaahs are well put I think) for the tight lady, he is attracted to. It might not be sophisticated, but it's funny, me thinks. It's in the vain of many blues lyrics "I eat more chicken than any other man" etc. and of Under my thump and many more."

I still agree with my five years younger self.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:29

Great rocker.Guitars are great,Jaggers lyrics and vocals are too.A lot better than Respectable,Lies, Neighbors,and other rockers

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 6, 2020 20:35

The intro is an essential part of this song IMHO. I love those suspended seconds the Glimmer Twins are experts of! Keep Up Blues is another example. Love it!

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: October 7, 2020 01:50

Sounds more like a Keith composition to me than something that originated from Mick. Reminds me a lot of 'Can't Be Seen With You'...but I like 'Too Tight' much better.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:17

Love the interplay between the guitars.Which one is Waddy? and does Keith play the solo?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2020 03:27

I wrote Flip the Switch, and (Mick) had a lot of input on that.
Same with Lowdown and Too Tight.

............... Keith Richards, September 1997

ROCKMAN

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 7, 2020 05:31

I absolutely love this underrated song

Re: Track Talk: Too Tight (New)
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 7, 2020 05:38

LeonidP
Great rocker. .. Love the guitars, the riff, and especially the vocals!

I agree with this post!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 08:54

Four pages to discuss (and at times praise!) this flimsy excuse for a song??

The guitars sound pleasant enough - the song had potential - but the lyrics have that 90s Jagger stink. Three verses of Jagger finding unimaginative ways to say the same thing over and over: ‘loosen up, babe.’ It’s a three-word song with no emotional or intellectual depth. Jagger would never have released something so half-assed in 69.

Date: October 7, 2020 13:34

The emotional and intellectual depth might be lost on that one but they dealt with that earlier in Already Over Me. I try to listen to the whole record when I can and to me it flows together very well in a lyrical sense. Too Tight is important for that as is Always Suffering, even if there you have a real shallow song

Date: October 7, 2020 13:41

ok maybe the part with the "we came to rock for brooklyn" doesn't flow all that well with the rest

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 7, 2020 15:37

I've always loved this one, and it's on my dream setlist of songs not heard live that I want to. I think it'd be a great add to the list these days!!

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: October 7, 2020 23:00

Maybe not too intellectual though some lines sound like pieces of true poetry but it's pretty much emotional for sure. Also love the vocals - Jagger's voice sounds really cool.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2020 00:07

lyric wise ... always thought it was the
rockin' cousin of If You Really Wanna Be My Friend ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: October 9, 2020 13:53

I like that line I sung that song I wrote f£&)(;ing book. I really like the song it always makes me smile..

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 9, 2020 16:56

Play it live .Great song,ditch You got me rocking and stick this in.
Jagger lyrics cool as a cucumber

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 9, 2020 22:43

Great song, I always loved the intro!

Date: October 10, 2020 00:28

hey glad not to be alone with my opinion smileys with beer

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: October 10, 2020 13:29

Ok, let´s sum it up: many people call “Too Tight“ a filler, or 2nd rate.

But even as a filler... it´s a filler in a league of it´s own – because it´s done by THE ROLLING STONES !!

Priest

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 10, 2020 15:32

Virgin Priest
Ok, let´s sum it up: many people call “Too Tight“ a filler, or 2nd rate.

But even as a filler... it´s a filler in a league of it´s own – because it´s done by THE ROLLING STONES !!

Priest
Amen!

Date: October 10, 2020 17:47

It's one of their best filler tracks. When I make a playlist, since I can never remember their damn names, of high energy ie fast Stones songs Too Tight generally gets included.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home