Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Keith on BBC Radio 4 Desert Island Discs Oct 25
Posted by: Dannyboy ()
Date: October 18, 2015 05:41

Keith will be the guest on UK Radio 4's classic show Desert Island Discs on October 25th. He is 'cast away' by the host Kirsty Young and is allowed to take seven favourite discs with him. His choices are interspersed with him talking about his life. Terrific show, Charlie was on it a few years back. It's available for download after it has been broadcast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-19 19:50 by bv.

Re: Keith on Desert Island Discs
Date: October 18, 2015 05:42

Reckon he'll have at least one Chuck Berry track to take with him!

Date: October 18, 2015 05:46

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 18, 2015 07:05

I'm guessing Muddy Waters will make the list. Knowing Keith he'd probably bring a Stones record too. lol

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 18, 2015 07:35

Hete's Charlie's episode: [www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 18, 2015 10:29

This is great news & long overdue. I've wished for years to hear Keith or Mick on Desert Island Discs, which is always a fascinating programme for the conversation as much as for the music choices. Can't wait either to hear what Keith will choose for his luxury item to take with him to the desert island!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 18, 2015 10:49

Dannyboy
Keith will be the guest on UK Radio 4's classic show Desert Island Discs on October 25th. He is 'cast away' by the host Kirsty Young and is allowed to take seven favourite discs with him. His choices are interspersed with him talking about his life. Terrific show, Charlie was on it a few years back. It's available for download after it has been broadcast.

thanks jeroen

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 18, 2015 11:14

Will be tuning in to hear that next Sunday.

Should be interesting . smileys with beer

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 18, 2015 11:39

Thanks for the tip

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 18, 2015 11:53

Dannyboy
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Ahh and a sweet photo too! Thanks for the heads-up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 18, 2015 12:07

Beast
This is great news & long overdue. I've wished for years to hear Keith or Mick on Desert Island Discs, which is always a fascinating programme for the conversation as much as for the music choices. Can't wait either to hear what Keith will choose for his luxury item to take with him to the desert island!

I'm waiting to hear how his Boy Scout training will help him to survive. smiling smiley

Great news - for those who don't know, this is a British radio institution and usually a very interesting listen. The "castaway" is invited to choose 8 records, plus one book and one luxury to help them survive on their mythical island.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 18, 2015 12:07

Keith did this years ago, i tapped it off the radio in about 83'
It was great song choices from him, i listened to them for years.
It will be interesting to see if he picks different songs this time.

Last time he chose song's like Take Another Piece Of MY Heart , What becomes of the broken hearted , If I Don't Have you by Gregory Issacs. Stuff like that

PS It might not have been Dessert Island disks but he did pick 10 songs including chuck berry and Ronnie Wood, I can feel the fire, if i remember correctly

Oh and a song from little Walter, the rest will come to me as the day comes on

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-18 12:20 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: October 18, 2015 13:17

Thank you Dannyboy will be listeningsmileys with beer

Date: October 18, 2015 17:35

Any guesses on what the odds are that he'll bring Sgt. Pepper? winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 18, 2015 17:47

The other programme was My Top 10, also BBC Radio, in the 1980's.
InterviewerAndy Peebles.
I'm sure both Bill and Ronnie have also done same.
Mick? Somehow can't see it happening.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 18, 2015 19:09

Charlie was on years ago. Great show- Charlie's interview was classic Charlie.

Keith will be great on show. And for the record- not that anyone cares about my opinion- I appreciate and am grateful performers of the caliber of Charlie and Keith take time to record what influenced them- it is essential to understanding their work and place in the world.

And while i am at I also think it's admirable they put themselves out there rather than resting on their laurels.

@celebs_pets

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 18, 2015 19:09

thanks.....I love finding new (to me) music through the boys.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: October 18, 2015 19:28

Mick has done Desert Island Discs... remember listening to it years ago. What sticks in my mind is that one of his choices was the RAF March Past... he said he liked it because it had a good beat!

Date: October 18, 2015 20:28

Desert Island Discs has a comprehensive online archive (going back to the 1940s) of everyone who has ever been on - and Charlie is the only Rolling Stone on the list.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

On the other hand, there are plenty of radio programmes with similar formats, and that march-music request rings a bell with me too - does anyone else remember that?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 18, 2015 20:29

Loose
Mick has done Desert Island Discs... remember listening to it years ago. What sticks in my mind is that one of his choices was the RAF March Past... he said he liked it because it had a good beat!

I thought he turned it down. When was he on?

Olly.

Date: October 18, 2015 20:45

I agree Green Lady there are many different outlets who have done a "desert island" type of format. When in LA I remember KLOS or possibly KMET had a similar program. It was a common theme.

It's hard to imagine some interviewer hasn't asked Keith the desert island question before. If so, I can't remember specifically his answers but there is no doubt others answers to similar questions have turned me on to many early blues and R&B artists that I had never heard of.

I doubt Keith will come up with anything particularly new, we have heard him talk about the music that moves him and his influences so many times before. What I'm curious is if he will name any records made post 1970 or so. I don't think Keith listens to much modern music and there seems to be a point in time where he basically rejects anything contemporary.

Posted by: Loose ()
Date: October 18, 2015 21:02

Strange that Mick is not in the Desert Island Disc Archives, although such archives are often incomplete. I really do have a very clear memory of hearing him on it and I haven't listened to any of the other similar programmes. The period? Definitely before 1990 and perhaps as early as the 70s...

Date: October 18, 2015 21:07

Loose
Strange that Mick is not in the Desert Island Disc Archives, although such archives are often incomplete. I really do have a very clear memory of hearing him on it and I haven't listened to any of the other similar programmes. The period? Definitely before 1990 and perhaps as early as the 70s...

Must have been another programme you recall.

Olly.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 18, 2015 21:12

"Desert Island Discs was one of those programmes people either loved to do or not. Ted Hughes always famously refused as has Mick Jagger".

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: October 18, 2015 21:14

Loose

It has been reported that he has turned down the opportunity, perhaps he answered a similar question in an interview or some thing. From a dailymail article:

"Although an invite to the island is considered a rare privilege, some have turned it down, including Mick Jagger, Labour politician John Prescott, the former Poet Laureate Ted Hughes and Prince Charles."
'

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: October 18, 2015 21:22

Naturalust
...there are many different outlets who have done a "desert island" type of format. When in LA I remember KLOS or possibly KMET had a similar program. It was a common theme...

Yes, but this is not any old interview programme, it has been a cornerstone of british broadcasting for over seventy years.

Olly.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 18, 2015 21:50

Olly
Loose

The programme you're thinking of is "The Rolling Stones Story" originally broadcast by the BBC in 1973. At the end of episode three Mick is asked what he used to listen to as a kid, he said that he liked to listen to marching bands because of the beat. He particularly mentioned the RAF march past which was then played to end the programme.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 18, 2015 21:55

Deltics
Olly
Loose

The programme you're thinking of is "The Rolling Stones Story" originally broadcast by the BBC in 1973. At the end of episode three Mick is asked what he used to listen to as a kid, he said that he liked to listen to marching bands because of the beat. He particularly mentioned the RAF march past which was then played to end the programme.

Thanks Deltics - I knew I'd heard that somewhere.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 18, 2015 22:01

Mick did "Jagger's Jukebox", a two hour programme in May, 2010.
This was his selection:

Part 1:

1: Respect Yourself - The Staples Singers..
2: Crosstown Traffic - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3: Lola - The Kinks
4: A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke
5: Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye
6: Tired of Being Alone - Al Green
7: Rock'n'Roll - Led Zeppelin (with props for Stew)
8: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band
9: Watching The River Flow - Bob Dylan
10: It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - The Byrds
11: Crimson & Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells
12: Do You Know What I Mean? - Lee Michaels

Part 2:

1: Wild Night - Van Morrison
2: Layla - Derek and the Dominos
3: Have You Ever Seen the Rain? - Creedence Clearwater Revival
4: The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway
5: Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone
6: Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin
7: Talkin' Loud and Sayin' Nothing - James Brown
8: Soul Shakedown Party - Bob Marley & The Wailers
9: Pressure Drop - Toots & The Maytalls
10: She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye - Jerry Lee Lewis
11: (Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go - Curtis Mayfield
12: Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright
13: Is That All There Is? - Peggy Lee
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-18 22:04 by Deltics.

Date: October 18, 2015 22:09

Thanks for that list Deltics. I am inpressed with the quality of Jagger's selections. He seems to have better taste than I thought! Now if he would only take the best of those performances and apply them to the Stones next record we would all be happy. smoking smiley

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home