Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 15 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:06

Flip The Switch - 6/10
Anybody Seen My Baby? - 4/10
Low Down - 3/10
Already Over Me - 2/10
Gunface - 1/10
You Don't Have To Mean It - 6/10
Out Of Control - 6/10
Saint Of Me - 8/10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 1/10
Always Suffering - 3/10
Too Tight - 6/10
Thief In The Night - 7/10
How Can I Stop - 7/10

Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:53

Good album
Great Tour
Great stage
Great memories.

I especially liked the Bridges songs played live. New albums always seemed to have the effect of freshening up the older stuff too.

It was the tour that 1st got me travelling abroad for gigs and only because they postponed their UK shows at short notice.

Went to Paris, Chorzow, Den Haag, Edinburgh, London. Chorzow was professionally filmed and broadcast in Poland 2 weeks later.

B2B was ahead of its time
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: September 25, 2021 02:07

Well, I might as well have used the term "B2B has aged well". But in all honesty B2B, I think, was ahead of its time.
My son (19) has started listening to Classic Rock, let's say, for a year or two. Needless to say, LZ, The Beatles, PF, and the Stones are among the bands he's been listening to.
While he hasn't yet listened to the whole Stones' catalogue, LIB is so far his favorite album. What surprises me the most is that B2B is his 2nd favorite one so far.
So, we had this roadtrip together and he picked up some CDs from my CD case.
Well, I must admit that I found B2B a bit overwhelming in 1997. Specially Mick's "snarlish" or "nasal" vocals on the album.
I hadn't played it for years.
What a pleasant listening!
From top to bottom B2B rocked during that roadtrip.
And on top of that, I could hear how Charlie was the driving force throughout the whole album!
A real gem indeed. Way ahead of its time imo.

Re: B2B was ahead of its time
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2021 02:18

For a good laugh check da Dust Bros Babylon stories
in the bonus section of Disc-5 of the Just For The Record DVD set .....

Great insight into the recording of Bridges ..... The Dust Bros
give esp HIGH praise to Mick but have a battle remembering bass
players and neighbours...hhhhhaaa and say that although there
was a Mick & Keith camp everybody got along fine but do admit there
were some juicy stories that they just cant tell AT ALL ….

Their Keef studio story is a screeeeeeeeeem …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 25, 2021 04:03

"Ahead of it's time ..."

Just listened to it again and it sounds like hit n miss latter era Stones to me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 25, 2021 05:32

It's dated. Voodoo Lounge is a retread for the most part, harkening back to past glory. Bridges had some hope, but it hasn't aged well. Every studio album after Steel Wheels (excluding Blue & Lonesome) sounds like a weaker version of what went before. A handful of good singles since '94, and that's about it.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 25, 2021 14:40

In my opionion B2B is the best album since Tattoo You. It sounds modern and has great songs on it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:06

hockenheim95
In my opionion B2B is the best album since Tattoo You. It sounds modern and has great songs on it.

thumbs up and the recently-released outtakes do prove they had it good in 1997.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:08

Time and again I'm amazed at all these cricisms. Give me any stones record.play it 29 times in a row and I'll still love it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2021 15:11

hockenheim95

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2021 16:25

I thought it sounded oddly outdated when it was first released.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 25, 2021 17:02

Nearly 25 years after release I still don't get the idea/concept behind this album. For me its not an album, more a collection of songs. Interesting: 'Tattoo You' just is a collection of songs, but to me feels like their best 'late' ALBUM to me.

B2B was recorded like that, f.ex. no Keith on 'Saint': just a collection of songs instead. Just a handful of songs I'm still listening to. But also the feeling, especially this album could've been much much better without the fights between Mick and Keith.

Ahead of its time? Definitely not. One more bad compromise between retro-Keith and progressive-Mick. Those limit most of the releases since 1983.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 17:10 by micawber.

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: September 25, 2021 17:19

Might As Well Get Juiced....the ONLY techno blues ever created...brilliant. Out of Control, Saint of Me, some others all worth the price of admission. Love this album.

Date: September 25, 2021 17:26

24FPS
It's dated. Voodoo Lounge is a retread for the most part, harkening back to past glory. Bridges had some hope, but it hasn't aged well. Every studio album after Steel Wheels (excluding Blue & Lonesome) sounds like a weaker version of what went before. A handful of good singles since '94, and that's about it.

Agreed entirely.

Blue and Lonesome is terrific, but I've often thought I could take my favorites from Voodoo Lounge, Babylon and Bang (Bridges to the Bigger Lounge?) and make one pretty good CD, but on their own...none of those albums, Babylon or any, are "ahead" of their time but are more indicative of increasing diminished returns. Probably 4 tracks from Voodoo and 3 a piece from Babylon and Bang and that'd be a pretty solid 10 track album.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:01

Might as Well get Juiced sounded contemporary when it came out, and still holds and sounds fresh today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 18:01 by ryanpow.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:30

Whale
Time and again I'm amazed at all these cricisms. Give me any stones record.play it 29 times in a row and I'll still love it.

I'm with you there thumbs up (one real exception: Sing this song together Part 2; I always skip that one ...)

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:30

I have a complicated relationship with Bridges To Babylon. I think Saint Of Me and Out Of Control are both fantastic A+ songs and themselves worth the price of admission, two really great songs that hold up very well.

I enjoy Flip The Switch, Might As Well Get Juiced, Gunface and Thief In The Night. They would make the playlist.

On the down side, Anybody Seen My Baby is far and away my least favorite Stones song of all time. Always Suffering and Already Over Me sound like the same song to my ears. The rest of the album is only mediocre at best.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:33

B2B was of it's time...maybe a bit behind.

A handful of good songs on a forgettable album.

The neutered lion on the cover is completely ironic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-25 18:54 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:34

The estimation of the album put aside, the B2B tour is my favorite of the modern Stones tours between 1989 and now. The first web vote and B-stage, let alone that unforgettable retractable bridge — there were a number of good ideas there, the show was full of fun to watch. The culmination of the modern Stones show as well as the template of their subsequent tours, which unfortunately has never been surpassed IMHO.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 25, 2021 18:41

Great album, wonderful tour!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 25, 2021 20:27

Strange work. The best songs of last decades
But as an album i feel there is no musical glue, is just a collection of songs, some of them great. But i never liked this album.
Ahead of its time? Why?

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: September 25, 2021 21:09

It's maybe "collection of songs"...
But It's collection of great songs.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 25, 2021 21:37

Very uneven.
It has some of their best-ever songs in Flip the Switch, You Don't have to Mean it and Thief and How Can I Stop.
I give Jagger points for trying on Saint of Me, but I generally skip it.
Too Tight is a good rocker.
Most of the rest is just filler. A lot of the sound felt harsh and brittle to me.

Date: September 25, 2021 21:46

treaclefingers

thumbs up

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: September 25, 2021 21:57

B2B is the first album that was released after I became a Stones fan at 12 years old, and perhaps that's why I still enjoy it. In 1997, there was no issue for me to go from "Mother's Little Helper" to "Flip the Switch." I loved them both, and still do.

I can see how folks who were adolescents in the '60s would have a difficult time, but for me, the production and sounds on B2B reflected alternative radio and MTV, which is how I fell for rock music as a child.

(Though of course the "oldies" station helped, too. I remember hearing "Satisfaction" and asking my dad who the band was. Unbelievable that the Stones were oldies in the '90s...)

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 25, 2021 22:59

Too tight best track on the album

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 25, 2021 23:15

stargroover
Too tight best track on the album

Agreed...that’s my favorite song on B2B.
I quite like Anybody Seen My Baby, too.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 25, 2021 23:53

Some nuggets on B2B.

Gunface, Flip The Switch, Out of Control, ANybody Seen My Baby are darn good songs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 26, 2021 00:02

micawber
One more bad compromise between retro-Keith and progressive-Mick.

Retro Keith?
On the album where he gave us the cyber-sounding "Flip..." and "Gunface". And the post-jazz/blues TITN and "How Can...". None of these songs could have been on Steel Wheels, VL or Undercover.

If you llok at the 1989-now era, from a songwriting pov Keith was at his best in 97 (imo). 20 years before he'd pen tunes like BTMMRun (which is the son of "Happy") but TITN and "How Can..." are entirely different, more interesting, more complex, animals. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-26 09:40 by dcba.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 26, 2021 00:48

treaclefingers

Yes. Rarely listen to this CD. I think Too Tight is the only song I care for. Still can't believe they gave kd lang a songwriting credit for Anybody Seen My Baby!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 15 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home