Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: ALBUM TALK: Bridges To Babylon
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 29, 2018 21:02

I surely must play Goddess In The Doorway again some day. The titles mentioned by you do generate a vague sense of recollection (some good, some not so good), but I can't remember any tune, in my head. I don't rule out that there may be 4 or even 5 likeable songs on it after all.

Posted by: DoctorStone ()
Date: January 7, 2019 02:20

no matter whether b2b is good or bad album, the outtakes can be interesting!

still longing

H (from snowy munich)

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 7, 2019 14:42

Copies sold: (from Wikipedia)

Certifications[edit]

Region
Certification
Certified units/Sales
Argentina (CAPIF)[33]
Platinum
60,000^
Austria (IFPI Austria)[34]
Platinum
50,000*
Belgium (BEA)[35]
Gold
25,000*
Canada (Music Canada)[36]
Platinum
100,000^
France (SNEP)[37]
2× Gold
200,000*
Germany (BVMI)[38]
Platinum
500,000^
Norway (IFPI Norway)[39]
Gold
25,000*
Poland (ZPAV)[40]
Gold
50,000*
Sweden (GLF)[41]
Gold
40,000^
Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)[42]
Platinum
50,000^
United Kingdom (BPI)[43]
Gold
100,000^
United States (RIAA)[44]
Platinum
1,000,000^
Summaries
Europe (IFPI)[45]
Platinum
1,000,000*
*sales figures based on certification alone
^shipments figures based on certification alone

References[edit]

That is over 3 millions copies : great record, great sales, great band.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 3, 2019 02:30

Flip The Switch - 7.5
Anybody Seen My baby - 7
Low Down - 6
Already Over Me - 4 (the mawkish singing is almost laughably forced)
Gunface - 7
You Don't Have To Mean It - 6
Out Of Control - 8
Saint Of Me - 7.5
Might As Well Get Juiced - 6.5
Always Suffering - 4
Too Tight - 5.5
Thief In The Night - 7.5
How Can I Stop - 6.5

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoys the experimentation on the album...Gunface is a ferocious, heavy stomper and Might As Well Get Juiced is a cool little stab at blues/techno fusion.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 3, 2019 02:44

Flip The Switch - 10
Anybody Seen My baby - 8
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - 9
Gunface - 10
You Don't Have To Mean It - 9
Out Of Control - 10
Saint Of Me - 10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 7
Always Suffering - 9
Too Tight - 10
Thief In The Night - 6
How Can I Stop - 10

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 3, 2019 03:27

Flip The Switch - 8
Anybody Seen My baby - 10
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - 3
Gunface - 1
You Don't Have To Mean It - 1
Out Of Control - 1
Saint Of Me - 1
Might As Well Get Juiced - 1
Always Suffering - 4
Too Tight - 8
Thief In The Night - 7
How Can I Stop - 6

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2019 05:53

Flip The Switch - 9
Anybody Seen My baby - 6
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - .5
Gunface - 0
You Don't Have To Mean It - 10
Out Of Control - 7
Saint Of Me - 6
Might As Well Get Juiced - 0
Always Suffering - .5
Too Tight - 7
Thief In The Night - 10
How Can I Stop - 10

Already Over Me, Gunface, MAWGJ and Always Suffering keep BRIDGES TO BABYLON from being their best album since 1983, which was a span of 4 LPs in 14 years. Those songs are atrocities. With the exception of the blatant lack of inventiveness with Out Of Control, the rest of the LP is pretty damn good.

AOM and AS get half a point because they have some decent guitar in them, oherwise they'd get a zero.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-03 15:19 by GasLightStreet.

Date: August 3, 2019 07:59

Flip The Switch - 8
Anybody Seen My baby - 10
Low Down - 7
Already Over Me - 6
Gunface - 2
You Don't Have To Mean It - 7
Out Of Control - 6
Saint Of Me - 7
Might As Well Get Juiced - 2
Always Suffering - 6
Too Tight - 5
Thief In The Night - 7
How Can I Stop - 10

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 3, 2019 08:45

Flip The Switch - 10/10
Anybody Seen My Baby? - 9/10
Low Down - 10/10
Already Over Me - 8/10
Gunface - 9/10
You Don't Have To Mean It - 7/10
Out Of Control - 9/10
Saint Of Me - 10/10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 6/10
Always Suffering - 8/10
Too Tight - 9/10
Thief In The Night - 6/10
How Can I Stop - 7/10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-03 08:46 by JordyLicks96.

Date: August 3, 2019 13:32

Flip the XSwitch - 9
Anybody seen my baby - 9 (and that is only because of the rap)
Lowdown - 8.5
Already over me - 6.5
You don't have to mean it - 8
Gunface - 5
Out of control - 10
Saint of me - 10
Might as well get juiced - 8.5
Always Suffering - 8.5 ( I love the verses; hate the chorus)
Too Tight - 8
Thief in the Night- 9
How Can I Stop - 9

I love B2B. IMO a very strong, real Stones album.

Date: August 3, 2019 13:34

GasLightStreet
Flip The Switch - 9
Anybody Seen My baby - 6
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - .5
Gunface - 0
You Don't Have To Mean It - 10
Out Of Control - 7
Saint Of Me - 6
Might As Well Get Juiced - 0
Always Suffering - .5
Too Tight - 7
Thief In The Night - 10
How Can I Stop - 10

Already Over Me, Gunface, MAWGJ and Always Suffering keep BRIDGES TO BABYLON from being their best album since 1983, which was a span of 4 LPs in 14 years. Those songs are atrocities. With the exception of the blatant lack of inventiveness with Out Of Control, the rest of the LP is pretty damn good.

LOL I think I read your ratings, just to make sure you were going to give "Juiced" a big Zero. I knew you would. winking smiley

Date: August 3, 2019 13:36

The live versions of OOC are all 10. But the studio version is sloppily played, recorded and mixed, imo.

I'm with you 100% on Always Suffering, Palace.

Date: August 3, 2019 13:46

DandelionPowderman
The live versions of OOC are all 10. But the studio version is sloppily played, recorded and mixed, imo.

I'm with you 100% on Always Suffering, Palace.

Great point on OOC. I had never thought of that; very true. What drives me crazy about pretty much all the versions is that I always want that guitar at the end just come tearing the roof off the place. It is just the perfect set-up and placing for a scorching solo. Maybe Ron should give it a go.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 3, 2019 14:13

keefriff99
Flip The Switch - 7.5
Anybody Seen My baby - 7
Low Down - 6
Already Over Me - 4 (the mawkish singing is almost laughably forced)
Gunface - 7
You Don't Have To Mean It - 6
Out Of Control - 8
Saint Of Me - 7.5
Might As Well Get Juiced - 6.5
Always Suffering - 4
Too Tight - 5.5
Thief In The Night - 7.5
How Can I Stop - 6.5

I feel like I'm the only person who enjoys the experimentation on the album...Gunface is a ferocious, heavy stomper and Might As Well Get Juiced is a cool little stab at blues/techno fusion.

No you're not ! I love it as an album. In the context of Stones-experimentation albums, it's better than Satanic Majesties but not quite as great as Black & Blue. It's an album that you can keep returning to again and again, and that you can enjoy.

Funnily enough, in that 1997 period, Bob Dylan came back with Time Out of Mind, McCartney did Flaming Pie, and they were seriously strong albums. The thing is that Bridges, in 2019, is the one album that I return to more so than the other two.

Also, I blame Cerys Matthews for highlighting Might As Well Get Juiced on a Stones Radio show about the blues, but then I loved it anyway, and it's in the grand tradition of Chuck D recreating Electric Mud, and even Electric Mud and After The Rain by Muddy Waters.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 3, 2019 14:51

Thief in the night - 1.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2019 15:22

BRIDGES still has a vitality to it that keeps me going back to it. There's something about it that VOODOO doesn't have, aside from sounding better. Maybe it's because they toured for VL for 2 years and then recorded BRIDGES.

Whatever it is, it's a much better album, overall, even with the crappy songs on it.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 3, 2019 15:28

Flip The Switch - 10
Anybody Seen My baby - 9
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - 9
Gunface - 9
Out Of Control - 10
Saint Of Me - 10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 9
Always Suffering - 7
Too Tight - 9
Thief In The Night - 10
How Can I Stop - 10

Date: August 4, 2019 14:21

GasLightStreet
BRIDGES still has a vitality to it that keeps me going back to it. There's something about it that VOODOO doesn't have, aside from sounding better. Maybe it's because they toured for VL for 2 years and then recorded BRIDGES.

Whatever it is, it's a much better album, overall, even with the crappy songs on it.

Exactly. Voodoo somehow doesn't grab me at all. To me it is the least alive of all Stones albums. I'd rather listen to Steel Wheels or Dirty Work over VL.
But that is really good point: that they did B2B after working the road with VL for 2 years.
They were pretty on in those late 90's. I still remember when they tacked on the '99 tour, and just kept running. The setlists were great for that tour.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 4, 2019 14:31

Rocky Dijon
Flip The Switch - 10
Anybody Seen My baby - 8
Low Down - 8
Already Over Me - 9
Gunface - 10
Out Of Control - 10
Saint Of Me - 10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 7
Always Suffering - 9
Too Tight - 10
Thief In The Night - 6
How Can I Stop - 10

Are you sure? Not to be misunderstood: BTB is a Stones album; every Stones album is better than most other Rock album. Okay. Even the worst Stones album is by far better than Dylan's Sinatra album (or Fallen Angels) etc.. But if you compare BTB with Beggars Banquet or Exile... On the other hand: BTB was their last "contemporary" album, it had its moments. And they played a lot of the tracks lives (at least once).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-04 14:34 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 4, 2019 16:12

Bjorn
Thief in the night - 1.

Used to think so but i changed my mind. Thief has a great groove and a typical Stones, two-chord (three) flow going.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 4, 2019 21:17

Flip The Switch - 6
Anybody Seen My baby - 7
Low Down - 4
Already Over Me/Always Suffering - 1
Gunface - 4
You Don't Have To Mean It - 7
Out Of Control - 6
Saint Of Me - 8
Might As Well Get Juiced - 1
Always Suffering/Already Over Me - 1
Too Tight - 1
Thief In The Night - 10
How Can I Stop - 7

Date: August 4, 2019 22:58

Monsoon Ragoon
Are you sure? But if you compare BTB with Beggars Banquet or Exile... On the other hand: BTB was their last "contemporary" album, it had its moments. And they played a lot of the tracks lives (at least once).

I'm not comparing it to Beggars or Exile. I take the album within its own context and rank the songs. If I like the song as a performance (music and vocals), the lyrics, the production - it gets a 10. From there I cut it down to a 9, an 8, a 7, a 6, etc. That doesn't mean if "Harlem Shuffle" is a 10 on DIRTY WORK that I think it's the equal of JJF. It just means in the context of DIRTY WORK, this was a "10" to me as in the best they were capable of and I enjoy it when playing the album.

Posted by: cyoe ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:58

Mr. Dijon, in another thread (Beggars Banquet Help Front Cover) I am trying to list all the graffiti on the Beggars Banquet toilet cover as part of a project to document the history of that album cover (rather than the music, which has been well documented). You are a part of that graffiti and that history. Do you have a few minutes to look the list over and help us solve some of the mysteries,like who engineer Ricky was? Was the creation of the graffiti walls discussed in the studio?

Apologies for redirecting your B2B post, which I enjoyed.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 5, 2019 02:17

Out Of Control bleeds over into Saint Of Me. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

Date: August 5, 2019 02:59

cyoe
Mr. Dijon, in another thread (Beggars Banquet Help Front Cover) I am trying to list all the graffiti on the Beggars Banquet toilet cover as part of a project to document the history of that album cover (rather than the music, which has been well documented). You are a part of that graffiti and that history. Do you have a few minutes to look the list over and help us solve some of the mysteries,like who engineer Ricky was? Was the creation of the graffiti walls discussed in the studio?

Apologies for redirecting your B2B post, which I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, my username is in honor of the late, great Rocky Dijon. I am not him. However, Gene is Gene Shively at Sunset Sound. Ricky was apparently what Jagger and Richards called tape operator Phill Brown because of Bill Wyman's predecessor Ricky Fenson whose real name was Rich Brown. I'm just passing this on. I wasn't there.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 5, 2019 09:09

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet

Exactly. Voodoo somehow doesn't grab me at all. To me it is the least alive of all Stones albums. I'd rather listen to Steel Wheels or Dirty Work over VL.
But that is really good point: that they did B2B after working the road with VL for 2 years.
They were pretty on in those late 90's. I still remember when they tacked on the '99 tour, and just kept running. The setlists were great for that tour.
I have a hard time viewing Voodoo Lounge through a critical lens. It was the first Stones album I ever bought after I saw their performance of Love Is Strong and Start Me Up on 1994 MTV VMAs, so it holds a particularly special status for me.

When I revisit the album these days and put it up against the vast amount of musical knowledge gained over the last 25 years, its flaws certainly become more glaring.

"Least alive" is an interesting way to describe it, as there is certainly a bit of a low energy vibe that permeates much of the album. Had they only replaced a few of the more tedious, meandering ballads with a combination of uptempo rockers and blues numbers, it would have gone a long way towards making the album better overall.

Date: August 5, 2019 19:42

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet

I have a hard time viewing Voodoo Lounge through a critical lens. It was the first Stones album I ever bought after I saw their performance of Love Is Strong and Start Me Up on 1994 MTV VMAs, so it holds a particularly special status for me.

When I revisit the album these days and put it up against the vast amount of musical knowledge gained over the last 25 years, its flaws certainly become more glaring.

"Least alive" is an interesting way to describe it, as there is certainly a bit of a low energy vibe that permeates much of the album. Had they only replaced a few of the more tedious, meandering ballads with a combination of uptempo rockers and blues numbers, it would have gone a long way towards making the album better overall.

But you make a strong pointyawning smileyne'sr first Stones album is undeniable. That's like a bond LOL.

Posted by: DoctorStone ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:40

hi folks

anything new about b2b/babylon outtakes?

would be great!

octoberfest wishes

H (munich)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 30, 2019 00:04

Flip The Switch - 6/10
Anybody Seen My Baby? - 5/10
Low Down - 1/10
Already Over Me - 1/10
Gunface - 1/10
You Don't Have To Mean It - 0/10
Out Of Control - 5/10
Saint Of Me - 5/10
Might As Well Get Juiced - 0/10
Always Suffering - 0/10
Too Tight - 0/10
Thief In The Night - 7/10
How Can I Stop - 3/10

Shelter is 10/10
King bee is 10/10
Rambler is 10/10

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2019 08:21

Out Of Control bleeds over into Saint Of Me. I wonder if there's a reason for that.

tryin' ta save on tape ….

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1746
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home