Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Squeeze at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Monday 12th October, 2015.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 13, 2015 19:51

Hello,

I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to seeing Squeeze for the third time: I wasn't alone in this as Peter Kay turned-up for the third time too, hah-hah! It wasn't as though the sell-out crowd needed warming-up anyway, especially since the first act on was the comedic poet, Dr. John Cooper Clarke.

I only knew a little of JCC through clips on TV from way over 30 years ago: in the event his hour-long set was a riot, full of gags and his own poems and limericks delivered at breakneck speed and in his Mancunian drawl. His language was pretty choice in places but because of the context it was never offensive or unwarranted. I'd go see him again in heartbeat...

After a 20 minute interval we were all seated and ready to go again when Peter Kay strides out onstage to initial disbelief and then laughter and a few good-natured heckles. He did about five minutes during which he lamented the fact that it was a Monday and therefore none of us wanted to be out late: he glanced at the setlist and reckoned we could leave after 'Up The Junction' and miss a couple of crackers but at least we would be halfway down the East Lancs road!

He loved being up there as much as we loved seeing him up there and he then introduced the band onstage as Roxy Music. Alright, I guess you had to be there, hah-hah!

It was a fantastic welcome for the two principals as well and they wasted no time launching into, well you can read the setlist for yourselves...

Hourglass
Is That Love
Another Nail In My Heart
Electric Trains
Only 15
Beautiful Game
Some Fantastic Place
The Truth
Nirvana
The Elephant Ride
Everything
Labelled With Love
Slap & Tickle
Black Coffee In Bed
Goodbye Girl
Open
Cradle To The Grave
Harper Valley PTA
(Jeannie C. Riley cover)
I Don't Wanna Grow Up
(Tom Waits cover)
Tempted
Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)
Up the Junction

Encore:

Snap, Crackle and Pop
Happy Days
Cool for Cats
Take Me I'm Yours

It's hard to explain the funny, warm feeling you get when you hear Tilbrook and Difford sing: you know their fantastic songs so well and you almost pinch yourself...blimey this guy sounds just like the record. Not sure I'm making any sense as per, and Tilbrook's guitar playing was extraordinary too because the guy nailed every solo...it was like a Squeeze juke box come to life. Or something...

The other four bandmates really expressed themselves onstage with loads of smiles and mucking about at times. Funny thing was that it wasn't until at least an hour was gone that I noticed any meaningful eye contact between Chris and Glenn, although both seemed in good spirits, engaging with the audience. And funny enough, it was Tilbrook playing another tricky piece just-so that caused the two mates to look and smile knowingly.

The chaps are pleased with their new album- I don't have it but they played a few from it and they weren't shockers by any stretch. And to further keep their interest up, they slightly rearranged some old gems...but not so much that you lost the reason that made them so great originally. Win-win, is it not?

The show was filmed and you could buy a recording of the live show on CD immediately afterwards for £15. I was very tempted but decided in a black coffee as that's cool for cats. Alright, I'll get my coat...

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Squeeze at The Bridgewater Hall, Manchester. Monday 12th October, 2015.
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2015 20:01

Great review, as always. If you haven't caught him solo, Glen Tilbrook puts on a terrific night's entertainment. It's just him and his acoustic.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 13, 2015 22:09

Great stuff Simon !

Sound like a great night. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 13, 2015 22:37

Thanks for posting Simon. I saw Glen last year and enjoyed it. Would love to
see Chris and Glen together.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 13, 2015 22:56

Enjoyed reading that Simon, and had seriously considered going to this as it;s not far from here, but decided not to. Wished I had now after reading that. Saw JJC many times in the late 70's, a real genius and hilariously funny - the of which we will never see again.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 13, 2015 23:22

Excellent post as usual Simon, thanks. Would have been a great surprise if Paul Carrack walked out for a couple numbers.

Your pictures are stunning and a great addition to your reviews, we are lucky to have you here my friend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-13 23:45 by Naturalust.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 23:35

Glad you enjoyed the night,Simon.

Always look forward to your reviews.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home