Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: I wish more people posted on iorr
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:36

I'm more worried about upsetting BV than other posters! He can be a bit of stickler and has his own Norse ethics on what is acceptable and what is not. eye popping smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:41

crumbling_mice
I honestly don't believe that there are nay posters on IORR who would intentionally ignore someone's post. Sometimes there is just nothing to say. If you really want responses then you might need to be a little more edgy rather than middle of the road. The main thing is not to take things personally.

It's a forum about the Rolling Stones, a band who have been around for a very very long time, a band who have had murders, divorces, drugs bust, court cases, paedophiles, near death experiences etc etc etc...add tot hat the many styles of music, the varying quality of that music, the thousands of live gigs, the interviews...what I'm saying is, there is so much to both agree and disagree on, but ultimatley non of us are in the band nor ever will be and so our views are just that, our views.

I try and be respectful of others' views but will question them forcefully if I feel the need, but at the end of the day, it's not personal and I'm sure if I met anyone of this forum we'd get on just fine under the common love of the Rolling Stones.

OK now your talkin... would like to see some new threads on these subjects!smoking smiley

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:48

Naturalust
stones2000
I think there are always at least 2 interesting threads when I check IORR everyday after school. Isn't it more or less normal for a fan site like this to gradually die down in between tours? Also, I hope I'm considered one of the more frequent posters at the moment. I don't always create threads, but I'm always responding to cool threads. I try, anyway

No worries stones2000, I think you are much appreciated on this site for your youthful and fresh perspective. Adored even. cool smiley

Thanks very much! smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:49

keefriffhards
Naturalust
Hairball
crumbling_mice
Is there an element of paranoia here? I've been posting on here for around 9 years (despite it saying I joined 8 years ago) I've never felt like I've been ignored to be honest. If you post on a thread and what you post is dull, not relevant or abusive then it's unlikely people will respond.

Yes there is a core of posters who seem to be on here quite a lot, but it's a free world and if they enjoy posting here in their spare time so be it.

I'll admit that sometimes you can get pounced on if you dare to criticise the Stones or one of their recordings, but that's the nature of forums when they are based around one band/topic. People have strong views as they do in life. Hell, I got banned once for saying Lisa Fischer's singing aint what it used to be!

In general the posters on iorr are a decent bunch and if you don;t poke the wasps nest you'll get an easy ride.

Excellent post that sums it all up in a nutshell.
There's people here from around the world with different backgrounds, all with varying degrees of knowledge, experience, and interest.
Some people post more than others, while there are others who simply like to lurk in the background.
There's varying opinions on just about everything that's posted here and that's what makes it interesting for most.
One thing for sure that everyone has in common is the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest rock bands ever (some even think the best!).

There's will always be someone who doesn't feel things are up to their standards, voice their opinions,
maybe hurl out a few generic insults, and perhaps even start an entire thread on the subject.
But that goes with the territory of a public forum, everyone has an opinion, and it's freedom of speech.

As just a member here and not the founder/administrator/moderator,
I prefer to take it for what it is, rather than what it's not...warts and all.

None of it should be taken so seriously... it's only rock'n'roll (IORR)...

thumbs up Exactly. I think our man riffhards must have been traumatized by some early interactions on here, sadly. Post and let post. Got something to say, let it rip! The nature of these forums is that people write in their own style and respond and comment on topics and posts that interest them. I respond to the content and although it's nice to get the feeling (over years) we kind of know other posters, it's really just some screen name and I think the notion that some posters are creating a bubble of insider conversations or posting for Stones management is just a bit paranoid.

Its funny you say that NL . I did in fact feel traumatized by my early interactions on here. I hear what you guys are saying in your posts above, but you cant really fail to see that a lot of people are coming forward in this thread and saying , yes i would post more often but for various reasons ( mentioned in this thread ) they don't. Do you not think it would be nice to have more people to converse with. Do you ask yourself why so few participate in discussions.

As has also been mentioned throughout this thread, there's always a decline in activity between tours.

Other than Keith's new masterpiece (which some like more than others), Mick farting around with Taylor Swift & Jack White (some approve while others don't),
and rumors of a new album (who, what, why, were, when?), there's fewer things happening at the moment that would merit more posting by many members.
My suggestion would be to simply go with the flow, and unless some one directly attacks you, not take things so personally and seriously...

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:51

crumbling_mice
I'm more worried about upsetting BV than other posters! He can be a bit of stickler and has his own Norse ethics on what is acceptable and what is not. eye popping smiley

I don't think you got banned because of Norse ethics, sounds like you got banned because of political correctness.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:57

keefriffhards
crumbling_mice

I don't think you got banned because of Norse ethics, sounds like you got banned because of political correctness.

You say tomato I say tomato...

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 10, 2015 19:58

Since no one replied to my post (as tears go by, no not really) I will repeat...
how about listening parties?
Form a google hangout or some other chat room and link to one youtube concert at once.

It is fun to comment and listen live...just think anti-keefites could criticize live while Mick-lickers could fawn... I AM JOKING.

@celebs_pets

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-10 20:07 by Librarian.

Date: October 10, 2015 20:02

Hairball
keefriffhards
Naturalust
Hairball
crumbling_mice
Is there an element of paranoia here? I've been posting on here for around 9 years (despite it saying I joined 8 years ago) I've never felt like I've been ignored to be honest. If you post on a thread and what you post is dull, not relevant or abusive then it's unlikely people will respond.

Yes there is a core of posters who seem to be on here quite a lot, but it's a free world and if they enjoy posting here in their spare time so be it.

I'll admit that sometimes you can get pounced on if you dare to criticise the Stones or one of their recordings, but that's the nature of forums when they are based around one band/topic. People have strong views as they do in life. Hell, I got banned once for saying Lisa Fischer's singing aint what it used to be!

In general the posters on iorr are a decent bunch and if you don;t poke the wasps nest you'll get an easy ride.

Excellent post that sums it all up in a nutshell.
There's people here from around the world with different backgrounds, all with varying degrees of knowledge, experience, and interest.
Some people post more than others, while there are others who simply like to lurk in the background.
There's varying opinions on just about everything that's posted here and that's what makes it interesting for most.
One thing for sure that everyone has in common is the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest rock bands ever (some even think the best!).

There's will always be someone who doesn't feel things are up to their standards, voice their opinions,
maybe hurl out a few generic insults, and perhaps even start an entire thread on the subject.
But that goes with the territory of a public forum, everyone has an opinion, and it's freedom of speech.

As just a member here and not the founder/administrator/moderator,
I prefer to take it for what it is, rather than what it's not...warts and all.

None of it should be taken so seriously... it's only rock'n'roll (IORR)...

thumbs up Exactly. I think our man riffhards must have been traumatized by some early interactions on here, sadly. Post and let post. Got something to say, let it rip! The nature of these forums is that people write in their own style and respond and comment on topics and posts that interest them. I respond to the content and although it's nice to get the feeling (over years) we kind of know other posters, it's really just some screen name and I think the notion that some posters are creating a bubble of insider conversations or posting for Stones management is just a bit paranoid.

Its funny you say that NL . I did in fact feel traumatized by my early interactions on here. I hear what you guys are saying in your posts above, but you cant really fail to see that a lot of people are coming forward in this thread and saying , yes i would post more often but for various reasons ( mentioned in this thread ) they don't. Do you not think it would be nice to have more people to converse with. Do you ask yourself why so few participate in discussions.

As has also been mentioned throughout this thread, there's always a decline in activity between tours.

Other than Keith's new masterpiece (which some like more than others), Mick farting around with Taylor Swift & Jack White (some approve while others don't),
and rumors of a new album (who, what, why, were, when?), there's fewer things happening at the moment that would merit more posting by many members.
My suggestion would be to simply go with the flow, and unless some one directly attacks you, not take things so personally and seriously...

Thanks for the sound advise. i just went back and read my second post i made when i first came on here , i did get a hard time , really bad for the first few days. i asked WHY OH WHY THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ON HERE> NL was right.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 10, 2015 20:02

Are you a Librarian, Librarian?

Olly.

Date: October 10, 2015 20:10

Olly
Are you a Librarian, Librarian?

I have the student loans to prove it. And a card catalog.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 10, 2015 20:19

Thanks for clarifying, always stood out as an odd username whenever I saw it, but I suppose it's fitting.

Olly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 10, 2015 20:19

keefriffhards

Sorry you were somewhat abused riffhards, as with sssoul said you've got to be tough to hang on a public board where people post anonymously. Some people use that to get a bit rude at times, but overall it's not much different than real life, there are always going to be a few bad eggs, you can't let one offensive comment get to you. I have experienced plenty of weird interactions and just yesterday was questioned how long I had been a fan! LOL I generally despise the whole fan hierarchy that some people feel the need to exploit, feel that everyone here has a unique voice and perspective and while some may be more knowledgeable on certain subjects, everyone is here to celebrate the Stones and has something to contribute. I try to make sure my posts are expressed as my opinion and tend to cringe when people are so attached to theirs that they present them as indisputable facts. My weakness is probably that I usually poke these people trying to get a bit of a reality check. Ha!

I don't really take issue with how many people are contributing at any one time, it varies so much depending on what is happening with the Stones and other factors. And while it is nice to get a personal connection and "conversation" with folks on here, I realize that the nature of a public board is different than say email conversations and I just post with little expectations of replies or engagement. It's just a cool forum, with a great format, somewhat addicting, with the best music discussions on the net about the best Rock band on the planet.

I do however miss posters like Gazza and others who have fled the field, and I value the infrequent posts by VideoJames and other truly connected people who have great stories and Stones information. I miss posters like LongBeachArena72 who was likely scared off by people calling him out for his different and not always towing the party line opinions, and posters like flacvinyl who had contributed great stuff here for many years and ended up starting his own forum during a particular heavy period of moderation. There are many many great posters who I don't see anymore for whatever reason, but I'm not going to get too excited about something I have no control over.

Date: October 10, 2015 20:23

this is how i got treated when i first came on here

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Request to get the YouTube embedding back to work
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 10, 2015 20:33

I'd like to Request to get the YouTube embedding back to work.

IIRC it went wonky when Adobe Flash had serious security issues and quite a few browser companies disabled it altogether.
it was also during the Stones US tour, so I can see why at that point it wasn't looked at.
but how long is this going to last? iorr would be a bit more colourful with making videos availlable again.
Of course everyone knows this , but it doesn't have to be flash, HTML5 works pretty neat.

bv, please get this fixed.

Date: October 10, 2015 20:41

Fan hierarchy...I am a middle age newbie...Stones would love to know they got me through a teenage relative. I had a Stones tape years ago, but thats it. I was dragged to a show this summer- I had to pay for the teen to go and I was like"what a rip, these geezers will fall apart on stage..."
Basically I had no time or $ in my life for music/art etc. for years, just raising a family/going to school/ work...getting by.

They have given me hope for my "retirement"

Now I am sold. Even pre-ordered CH and bought a Buffalo shirt- didn't go to that show- love design, I was forced to go to Milwaukee and then decided to go to Indy!

Date: October 10, 2015 20:54

Classy, Naturalust...

Date: October 10, 2015 20:57

keefriffhards
this is how i got treated when i first came on here

[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

Pretty minor and understandable stuff there riffhards. I'd say you got off pretty easy. grinning smiley Always best to stick to the subject matter at hand rather than let conversations become reactive based on how you were responded to. Not always an easy task. I've had people tell me I was so full of shit my eyes were brown! Ha! Fortunately it's easy to disengage from that kind of immaturity and I'm not the type to report them. That particular poster is still upset over something I said years ago (which I don't even remember) and has changed his name so often it's hard to keep up.

You will find that with sssoul is one of the nicest and fairest posters on this board, she has come to my aid on more than one occasion when things were getting tense over some disputed facts or someone was taking it to a personal level. A rather risky endeavor on a public board and she has my respect as a result of it and would probably do the same for you.

Re: Request to get the YouTube embedding back to work
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 10, 2015 20:59

open-g

IIRC it went wonky when Adobe Flash had serious security issues and quite a few browser companies disabled it altogether.
it was also during the Stones US tour, so I can see why at that point it wasn't looked at.
but how long is this going to last? iorr would be a bit more colourful with making videos availlable again.
Of course everyone knows this , but it doesn't have to be flash, HTML5 works pretty neat.

I agree thumbs up

Date: October 10, 2015 21:15

DandelionPowderman
Classy, Naturalust...

Thank you Dandie. I'd say you got off easy after your inquiries into my fan pedigree. winking smiley

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 10, 2015 21:55

with sssoul
sometimes for some reason a thing just has to be said a few times before it becomes "audible".

OK, I agree, so here I go again

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Request to get the YouTube embedding back to work
Date: October 10, 2015 21:58

NICOS
open-g

I agree thumbs up

thumbs up Couldn't agree more...

...did I just hit enter a few times or post a video? YOU MAY NEVER FIND OUT.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 10, 2015 22:05

Naturalust
I've had people tell me I was so full of shit my eyes were brown!

Okay, and what colour are they ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 10, 2015 22:16

Librarian
Fan hierarchy...I am a middle age newbie...Stones would love to know they got me through a teenage relative. I had a Stones tape years ago, but thats it. I was dragged to a show this summer- I had to pay for the teen to go and I was like"what a rip, these geezers will fall apart on stage..."
Basically I had no time or $ in my life for music/art etc. for years, just raising a family/going to school/ work...getting by.

They have given me hope for my "retirement"

Now I am sold. Even pre-ordered CH and bought a Buffalo shirt- didn't go to that show- love design, I was forced to go to Milwaukee and then decided to go to Indy!

brilliant!

yes, i do love the rolling stones!
they continue to amaze

Re: I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 10, 2015 22:31

Rolling Hansie
with sssoul
sometimes for some reason a thing just has to be said a few times before it becomes "audible".

OK, I agree, so here I go again

I'll be darned, Rolling Hansie - so do I!
I love the Rolling Stones - exactly the Rolling Stones :E

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 10, 2015 22:34

Naturalust

Whoever you are: smileys with beer

Date: October 10, 2015 23:01

Rolling Hansie
Naturalust

Okay, and what colour are they ?

Sky blue my friend. And cheers back to ya Turner68!

I do find it a bit strange that the YouTube embedding videos and I Love the Rolling Stones threads got merged into this one, not that I complaining, just a bit confused.

As far as the embedding goes, it's still there, easy to turn on by allowing unsafe content and probably a good thing in terms of being able to select your own level of internet security.

As far as loving The Rolling Stones...hell yeah! A constant companion in my life, like a favorite warm blanket or a family pet, comforting and always there.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 10, 2015 23:12

Damn - if I had a blanket that does what the Rolling Stones do to me, it would get arrested eye popping smiley

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: October 10, 2015 23:45

johnh
I wonder if it's maybe because of the negativity and put downs... I'm on a few forums and this one can get quite heavy at times if your opinion is in any way negative towards the band.... it puts me off getting involved in some discussions.
john

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:09

Naturalust

I do however miss posters like Gazza and others who have fled the field, and I value the infrequent posts by VideoJames and other truly connected people who have great stories and Stones information. I miss posters like LongBeachArena72 who was likely scared off by people calling him out for his different and not always towing the party line opinions, and posters like flacvinyl who had contributed great stuff here for many years and ended up starting his own forum during a particular heavy period of moderation. There are many many great posters who I don't see anymore for whatever reason, but I'm not going to get too excited about something I have no control over.

Hi, NL!

Just a quick note: I do still check in once or twice per week, just to see what's going on; happened to see your post above and thought I'd offer some thoughts.

I learned a valuable lesson from my (relatively) brief experience on IORR: this is a fan board and I am not really a fan. The Stones are my favorite rock'n'roll band and I continue to be fascinated by their legacy, their working methods in their prime, their influences, etc., etc.

I am a critic by nature, by temperament. I like to tear apart and try to analyze the work of my favorite painters, musicians, writers. I understand the fan-boy phenomenon but have never really shared that mind-set--other than a year or two in the 70's regarding a certain Mr. Bowie.

But it's hard, and perhaps a bit unfair, to bring that outlook to a fan board like IORR. Most people here love the band in all (or at least most of) its incarnations and do not really want to hear "whiners" like me point out what I regard as the sad truth regarding their modern-day output.

I did have fun with it for a while--the FREE KEITH from the shackles of that horrid M. Jagger, etc.--but after a bit you realize that you are offering the same old criticisms of the same old effusive praise. Ultimately it just gets dull.

I met great people here, a couple of whom I still correspond with, and even one or two like you, with whom I suspect I could be great friends in real life.

I never felt the "bullying" young riffhards is referring to, even when I would jump into the hornet's nest and suggest that perhaps CROSSEYED HEART might be a notch or two below LET IT BLEED. I was offended on a couple of occasions when people suggested I do some homework before asking a question or making a statement. But as others have said on this thread, you meet people like that in daily life all the time ... why should IORR be any different?

Final note, to sssoul: almost done--really!--with HOW THE BEATLES DESTROYED ROCK'N'ROLL. Will share my thoughts with you in a few days.

Bye, all -- rock on -- Mike.

Date: October 11, 2015 00:27

Whoo Hoo LBA72! Thanks for the post. Strangely, as you were probably typing your post I was making some lunch and you popped into my mind. I come back to the the computer and there you are. I realize it was no coincidence and am still smiling.

I understand what you are saying, why you think you are not a current enough fan to be posting here much but must admit, it is a poorer place without you. Your knowledge about music in general and you style of writing have always been a pleasure read here. I think that there is true value in having you on board beyond your perceived pedigree as a fan. This place is about community, connections and music discussions as much as it is about fandom of the current Stones...pretty sure I'm not alone in my feeling about that. Don't be a stranger, you have been missed. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home