Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: ALBUM TALK: Voodoo Lounge
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2017 03:35

roller99
GasLightStreet
The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny). Either of these would've been much better.

Wow, quite the art critic you think you are. Tell me, what have you done in life?

So you don't agree. Good for you.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 04:16

GasLightStreet
roller99
GasLightStreet
The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny). Either of these would've been much better.

Wow, quite the art critic you think you are. Tell me, what have you done in life?

I said nothing about whether I agree or not, I was asking what make you think you're such an art critic and what you've done.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 04:35

roller99
GasLightStreet
roller99
GasLightStreet

I said nothing about whether I agree or not, I was asking what make you think you're such an art critic and what you've done.
This is THE most asinine response to criticism, and it routinely pops up on message boards all over the internet.

"So where's YOUR platinum-selling record? HUH??"

If you're seriously asserting that someone needs to already be in the same artistic field as a prerequisite to offering a negative opinion on said art, then you likewise shouldn't be allowed to say you like a piece of art either. It works both ways.

This is, of course, ludicrous, and you know it.

Date: August 7, 2017 04:48

keefriff99
roller99
GasLightStreet
roller99
GasLightStreet

This is THE most asinine response to criticism, and it routinely pops up on message boards all over the internet.

If you're seriously asserting that someone needs to already be in the same artistic field as a prerequisite to offering a negative opinion on said art, then you likewise shouldn't be allowed to say you like a piece of art either. It works both ways.

I don't believe I said that. I just think GLS is a bit of a troll, that's all, and I want to know what he's done in life as he goes around randomly criticizing people. Anyone can have an opinion, but when it's mostly negative, it's just trolling...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 7, 2017 04:55

It's actually one of my favorite album covers, along w/ Some Girls & Tattoo You

Date: August 7, 2017 05:52

roller99
keefriff99
roller99
GasLightStreet
roller99
GasLightStreet

I don't believe I said that. I just think GLS is a bit of a troll, that's all, and I want to know what he's done in life as he goes around randomly criticizing people. Anyone can have an opinion, but when it's mostly negative, it's just trolling...
He's not a troll...he's got VERY strong opinions and expresses them very bluntly. I disagree with him on a number of things, but he contributes a lot of positive comments to the board too.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 7, 2017 08:17

Over time this board has become more a place for people who want to bash on the Stones (bashers typically defended their griping as robustly debating the band). There is very little debate, there is mostly insulting and bashing done by these negativenancies... and as more and more bashers come along they are supported and defended by the davydowners who enjoy bashing on the band.

More and more Stones bashers have made it a lot less fun for people who enjoy the band. The negative nancies have driven away a lot of good people who are still into the Stones for fun but turned off by the constant negative nancies.

IORR seems to have passed the tipping point there are now more Stones bashers posting here than people who actually still enjoy the band and have good things to say about the Stones.

There is still good some information to be found here, but one has to slosh through a swampful, a flooded basement full, of negative bullshite to find it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 7, 2017 09:27

there's only a few Hank ...

ya get ta know 'em really quick and ya just skip the neg shit they spew .....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 7, 2017 10:05

GasLightStreet is no troll; has been around for ages.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 7, 2017 11:12

HankM
Over time this board has become more a place for people who want to bash on the Stones (bashers typically defended their griping as robustly debating the band). There is very little debate, there is mostly insulting and bashing done by these negativenancies... and as more and more bashers come along they are supported and defended by the davydowners who enjoy bashing on the band.

More and more Stones bashers have made it a lot less fun for people who enjoy the band. The negative nancies have driven away a lot of good people who are still into the Stones for fun but turned off by the constant negative nancies.

IORR seems to have passed the tipping point there are now more Stones bashers posting here than people who actually still enjoy the band and have good things to say about the Stones.

There is still good some information to be found here, but one has to slosh through a swampful, a flooded basement full, of negative bullshite to find it.

Hear, hear, Hank! Timely post – somebody has to speak out forcefully against those Whiny Wilmas...

But if I may steer us back on topic..sort of...when you’re in a forum with a pack of Negative Nancies, Pissy Peters, Donald Downers and Whiny Wilmas, believe me, the last record you want to be discussing is Voodoo Lounge. Personally, however, I’m done crying about this record – ‘out of tears’ as Mick would say.

But Hank I find it odd that while I know you have strong feelings about certain posters on this forum I haven’t a clue what you think about Voodoo Lounge. Care to regale us with your thoughts?

Date: August 7, 2017 15:14

Palace Revolution 2000

Criticism is fair, that's what this site is here for. Insulting someone, an acclaimed artist is not, hence my observation.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 7, 2017 16:29

roller99
Palace Revolution 2000

Criticism is fair, that's what this site is here for. Insulting someone, an acclaimed artist is not, hence my observation.

GasLightStreet
The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny).

You're refering to this,right?
This is an opinion.I can't see any insult here.
I do agree with Palace.

Date: August 7, 2017 22:24

Rockman
there's only a few Hank ...

ya get ta know 'em really quick and ya just skip the neg shit they spew .....

Indeed Rockeeee,
I do try to follow your lead, you have always been good at being above the
shitposters, never wallowing with down them... I try... but... I will try better.

Cheers, as the bossman says, you are one of the best here smileys with beer
Thank you for all the positive great comments and content you post smoking smiley Ya make it better

STONES!!!

Date: August 8, 2017 00:22

...and for the 10-20th time, I think VL is a great Stones album. It is like all Stones albums where there are 3-4 great great songs, 2-3 dudsongs and the rest are Stones songs, and I love Stones songs (Micks singing, Keef and Ronnies playing, Charlie's drumming etc etc).

But... I guess my opinion is biased and based on me having a more fun, good times, happier life than some here... and when this album came out it was the sound track to some of those great times and it brings back great memories.

The movie the Replacements is a better movie when the sound track features songs from this album. The tour from this album was spectacular and still very affordable. I saw 6-7 shows on this tour from Front row center in the Sky Dome to 2 miles back at the Rose bowl to 7th row at another show to being given free tickets at another show... it was too freekin much fun and great times... and actually makes other times in my life seem down right boring.

I love this album.... and I think the cover is fine... then again I have never looked at any album and thought "DAMN, THOSE MORONS!!! THIS COVER SUCKS!@!! IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER!!! WHY DIDN'T THEY WHA WHA WHA!!!MAKE IT LIKE I WANTED IT TO BE". All album covers are what they are... and I figure if Mick and Keef thought it was a good enough cover for their creation... then it sure as hell is a good enough cover for me. Plus I kind of like the bunnyman... as I get up and start dancing like the bunnyman... doin the bunnyman man dance... cuz my love is strong... and The Stones are great.... and if you ask me again ...I will say DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

PS
and fuk yeah... that VL DVD-ROM thingy was a lot of fun to play with too... I wasted many hours wandering around that mansion

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 8, 2017 00:31

HankM
...and for the 10-20th time, I think VL is a great Stones album.

Yes, it is. I remember when VL was released and I was heavily into their 60's stuff so I didn't pay attention to this album at the time, with the exception of 2 or 3 songs. It took me some years until I finally started to enjoy it, which I still do.

Date: August 8, 2017 00:58

HankM
...and for the 10-20th time, I think VL is a great Stones album. It is like all Stones albums where there are 3-4 great great songs, 2-3 dudsongs and the rest are Stones songs, and I love Stones songs (Micks singing, Keef and Ronnies playing, Charlie's drumming etc etc).

But... I guess my opinion is biased and based on me having a more fun, good times, happier life than some here... and when this album came out it was the sound track to some of those great times and it brings back great memories.
Great point. I think what's happening in your personal life can color one's perception of art way more than people realize.

Voodoo Lounge was the album that got me into the Stones...I was also in high school, just got my driver's license, was past the awkward early-teen phase and starting to come into my own as a young adult, and had an awesome summer with my friends.

So was the album THAT great, or does it just bring back really good memories for me? A bit of both, although in hindsight, it's simply a solid latter-day Stones effort, nothing more, nothing less, and for a band with a history like the Stones, you can't ask for much more than that.

Date: August 8, 2017 02:23

Cristiano Radtke
HankM
...and for the 10-20th time, I think VL is a great Stones album.

Yes, it is. I remember when VL was released and I was heavily into their 60's stuff so I didn't pay attention to this album at the time, with the exception of 2 or 3 songs. It took me some years until I finally started to enjoy it, which I still do.

smileys with beer CR

keefriff99
HankM

Great point. I think what's happening in your personal life can color one's perception of art way more than people realize.

Voodoo Lounge was the album that got me into the Stones...I was also in high school, just got my driver's license, was past the awkward early-teen phase and starting to come into my own as a young adult, and had an awesome summer with my friends.

So was the album THAT great, or does it just bring back really good memories for me? A bit of both, although in hindsight, it's simply a solid latter-day Stones effort, nothing more, nothing less, and for a band with a history like the Stones, you can't ask for much more than that.

There were many other albums released during that time period which were crap... noise... and I was subjected to that garbage when I was in other peoples domain (or I could leave) and/or I had to change the channel when that shit came on in my domain. I wont name names (to be picked apart by anyone) but looking over the list, some of those bands/releases were shit errrr... not to my tastes. I can be as grumpy and bashing as anyone, but I chose to not waste much of my time online bitching my opinions about music.

Soooo... It was not simply my good times that made VL good, it was good because it was good. It was good rock and roll. Good time music. Stones music. Fun music... Jagger music... Richards/Wood music... Charlie music.

Of course there are many Stones songs which I am not fond of... and I simply ignore them/skip them (versus dwelling on them and posting post after post after post after post complaining about them). I like to focus on the vast majority of Stones songs which are excellent.

But funny enough sometimes a Stones song which I really did not like suddenly sounds good to me (that happened with several Stones songs as I started trying to try to sort of learn how to play guitar).

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 8, 2017 03:08

my fav songs on Voodoo Lounge are

I GO WILD
The Moon Is Up
Baby Break it Down
Love is strong
Sparks will fly

I was living in North Queensland Australia when this came out,also Voodoo Lounge was my 1st Stones Concert (Brisbane)

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2017 04:29

After the lackluster Dirty Work and mediocre-at-best Steel Wheels, it might have seemed hard to get excited at the thought of a new Stones album, but there I was in 1994 and the anticipation was high. While the first single Love is Strong was promising when it was released (and is still OK-meh to this day), the album as a whole was not as pleasant. You Got Me Rockin' might work well live (for some people), but the studio version sounds corny. Keith's The Worst and Thru and Thru are the only other highlights on the album (if you can call them that), and evidently he thinks so also as he's played them numerous times throughout the following years during his solo spot. Brand New Car was a new low - Mick's vocal, the lyrics, and everything about it makes it a candidate for one of the worst Stones songs ever. The rest of the album never gelled and/or resonated with me, and never listened to any of it after about a month of trying to like the album after it was released. As for the cover, I don''t care one way or the other, but at the time it seemed a bit contrived and garish. I have a tour t-shirt with that spotted yellow character on it, and I've never worn it.

The tour on the other hand was great, and saw Buddy Guy and the Red Hot Chili Peppers open for them at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. Still have a couple of t-shirts, the skeleton playing cards poster, some budweiser promo stuff including a hanging mobile w/skeletons that's been hanging in my studio for years now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 04:31 by Hairball.

Date: August 8, 2017 04:43

HankM
There were many other albums released during that time period which were crap... noise... and I was subjected to that garbage when I was in other peoples domain (or I could leave) and/or I had to change the channel when that shit came on in my domain. I wont name names (to be picked apart by anyone) but looking over the list, some of those bands/releases were shit errrr... not to my tastes. I can be as grumpy and bashing as anyone, but I chose to not waste much of my time online bitching my opinions about music.

Soooo... It was not simply my good times that made VL good, it was good because it was good. It was good rock and roll. Good time music. Stones music. Fun music... Jagger music... Richards/Wood music... Charlie music.

Of course there are many Stones songs which I am not fond of... and I simply ignore them/skip them (versus dwelling on them and posting post after post after post after post complaining about them). I like to focus on the vast majority of Stones songs which are excellent.

But funny enough sometimes a Stones song which I really did not like suddenly sounds good to me (that happened with several Stones songs as I started trying to try to sort of learn how to play guitar).
I *UNDERSTAND* that...I'm simply saying that there's music that strikes a chord with people at certain times in their lives, where you may intellectually know it isn't that great, but because it evokes such happy memories, you can't help but have a soft spot for it.

But hey, if you want to keep arguing with me, that's fine too.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2017 04:59

shortfatfanny
roller99
Palace Revolution 2000

GasLightStreet
The LP cover is one of their worst - it's up there with the horrendous DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS (ah ha ha ha ha ha, 3 LPs in a row, how funny).

You're refering to this,right?
This is an opinion.I can't see any insult here.
I do agree with Palace.

Ha ha ha ha... I'm pretty sure it's not the first time I've said that about VL's cover. Or others.

Pretty funny, Roller99 calling me a troll. That's hilarious. Eh, whatever floats yer boat. Yes I can be blunt. I can be a jerk. I can be an @#$%&. Etc. But so what. There's the opposite to all of that as well. Which is how it is with a lot of people around here.

Art critic, eh? So, Roller99, watched any movies recently that you think sucked? Or is that too blunt? How about that you didn't like. Have you watched any movies recently that you didn't like?

So, let me get this straight: in order to watch a movie and say it

1. is good etc
2. is bad etc
3. is bad but has one great scene in it
4. is good but has one awful scene in it

then you've had to have made movies.

It's not a gun to a head robbery, it's just art, dude.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: August 8, 2017 05:44

Turner68
"Love is Strong" is the track where the Rolling Stones jumped the shark.

It clearly says: we've given up, we have no more ideas.

...I am taking it you are 'serious' here with the comment / opinion?

Love Is Strong is perhaps the best single since Start Me Up. It showed The Stones could take a groove to a place that they hadn't done before. It was dark .. seductive... groovy .. and sort of experimental in groove but it was still oh so Stonesy.

Great production .. 'rich' .. solid ... thick. Simply a great song that stands the test of time with some of their best work.

Ian

Date: August 8, 2017 06:09

IanBillen
Turner68
"Love is Strong" is the track where the Rolling Stones jumped the shark.

It clearly says: we've given up, we have no more ideas.

...I am taking it you are 'serious' here with the comment / opinion?

Love Is Strong is perhaps the best single since Start Me Up. It showed The Stones could take a groove to a place that they hadn't done before. It was dark .. seductive... groovy .. and sort of experimental in groove but it was still oh so Stonesy.

Great production .. 'rich' .. solid ... thick. Simply a great song that stands the test of time with some of their best work.

Ian
I completely agree...it's dark, groovy and sexy. I can understand not particularly liking it, but completely trashing it is beyond me.

Date: August 8, 2017 11:15

HankM

The movie the Replacements is a better movie when the sound track features songs from this album. The tour from this album was spectacular and still very affordable. I saw 6-7 shows on this tour from Front row center in the Sky Dome to 2 miles back at the Rose bowl to 7th row at another show to being given free tickets at another show... it was too freekin much fun and great times... and actually makes other times in my life seem down right boring.

I love this album.... and I think the cover is fine... then again I have never looked at any album and thought "DAMN, THOSE MORONS!!! THIS COVER SUCKS!@!! IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER!!! WHY DIDN'T THEY WHA WHA WHA!!!MAKE IT LIKE I WANTED IT TO BE". All album covers are what they are... and I figure if Mick and Keef thought it was a good enough cover for their creation... then it sure as hell is a good enough cover for me. Plus I kind of like the bunnyman... as I get up and start dancing like the bunnyman... doin the bunnyman man dance... cuz my love is strong... and The Stones are great.... and if you ask me again ...I will say DAMN STRAIGHT!!!

PS
and fuk yeah... that VL DVD-ROM thingy was a lot of fun to play with too... I wasted many hours wandering around that mansion

Haha, that f*ckin CDROM; forgot about that. Took me a while before I could get it to work, and then I think I pretty much walked around in a circle for hours. Every once in a while I'd bump into something that would go 'roar! ..got me rockin..' or something like that.
What is confusing to any outsider re. discussions of Stones albums here, is that to most folks (and to me) a bad Stones album, is still infinitely preferable over anyone else's decent album.

Date: August 8, 2017 11:21

Palace Revolution 2000
HankM

PS

Haha, that f*ckin CDROM; forgot about that. Took me a while before I could get it to work, and then I think I pretty much walked around in a circle for hours. Every once in a while I'd bump into something that would go 'roar! ..got me rockin..' or something like that.
What is confusing to any outsider re. discussions of Stones albums here, is that to most folks (and to me) a bad Stones album, is still infinitely preferable over anyone else's decent album.

So true!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 28, 2018 01:05

Okay, I took "Voodoo Lounge" for a spin today, first time in a while. I'm going to write this before reading too much of the thread. I guess this album is pretty controversial among Stones fans.

I love it. I've always enjoyed it. I think it's packed with great songs and only a few duds. It also has one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs of all time.

-

Love Is Strong - I like this opener a lot, though I don't love the song as much as some of the other tracks here. It is a dark, slinky groove. It's a good tune.

You Got Me Rocking - The haters may hate, but I love it. Thunderous drums, explosive music. I love the lyrics too.

Sparks Will Fly - I had a transcendent moment listening to "Sparks Will Fly" today. I've always enjoyed this song. It just has such a joyous, bouncing feel to it. I feel bad for Rolling Stones fans that don't get a charge from this one.

The Worst - I like it, though I suppose I can understand why others wouldn't. Another Keith ballad that's like a pair of warm slippers.

New Faces - This one I've always been split on, since I naturally gravitate to the rockers. But I like listening to this one. I like the instrumentation and Mick's singing. The lyrics are interesting because they're so dark in contrast to the delicately light music. I understand why others wouldn't like it, though.

Moon Is Up - Oh man, I'm going to have to hunt down the track talk and read that thread, because "Moon Is Up" is literally one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs of all time. When the album came out, I must have listened to this one fifty times over the first few days, playing it again and again every spare moment. To me it's just a fresh, amazing, delightful melody. I could go on and on...

Out Of Tears - It's not a terrible song, and I tried to like it... but I don't. I've never included it in any of my mix tapes, and it really the only song on "Voodoo Lounge" I consistently skip.

I Go Wild - Again, I feel for those Stones fans that don't enjoy this song. To me, it's balls out rockin', and it's another one of my favorite Stones songs of all time. I love those crazy lyrics.

Brand New Car - Listenable, but in the end I think it's a bad song. It probably should have been left off the album. I think the trouble is that songs like "Start Me Up" and "She's So Cold" were good rock songs that compared women to cars, but "Brand New Car" seems less about a new female sexual conquest than an song that's actually about a brand new car. I guess that's good if the Stones were writing this for a car commercial. To me it sounds like Mick is ready to make sweet love to an automobile. It's cheesy and second rate compared to the (in my opinion excellent) lyrics on some of the other songs here.

Sweethearts Together - I like it, but it's not on the A list for me. It's a nice little tune that reprises the feel of "Waiting On A Friend", basically a love song between Mick and Keith. I'm okay with it. It's a pleasant little tune, and listenable.

Suck On The Jugular - I'm sure that this little ditty is controversial like "Might As Well Get Juiced." The Stones are trying a bit of a different sound. To me, this was always an enjoyable tribute to James Brown style songs, so I found it funky and enjoyable. I've always liked this track, though I suppose I can get why others wouldn't.

Blinded By Rainbows - I like this song, even though I might not put it on the A list. I imagine the controversial lyrics about terrorism get people really worked up.

Baby Break It Down - I enjoy this song a lot, even though ultimately I don't think it's among the Stones' best. It's kind of simple and laid-back, not that that's a bad thing. I do like the relaxed, unpretentious feel to the songwriting, and I like listening to it.

Thru And Thru - I am in the camp that thinks this is a classic. I love the sparse instrumentation. Good production on this one. The song really takes a listener on a journey and goes through several changes without the changes feeling jolting or out of place. Boy, when they used this song at the end of one of those season ending episodes of "The Sopranos" it was chill-inducing.

Mean Disposition - I know this is nothing but a disposable bluesy rocker, and not even the Rolling Stones' best disposable bluesy rocker, but I absolutely love "Mean Disposition" 100%. This is another one of my all-time favorites. I can't explain the energy I get when I listen to this song. It's a perfect little boogie that always lights my pilot light in just the right way.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2018 01:30

Swayed1967
HankM

Hear, hear, Hank! Timely post – somebody has to speak out forcefully against those Whiny Wilmas...

But if I may steer us back on topic..sort of...when you’re in a forum with a pack of Negative Nancies, Pissy Peters, Donald Downers and Whiny Wilmas, believe me, the last record you want to be discussing is Voodoo Lounge. Personally, however, I’m done crying about this record – ‘out of tears’ as Mick would say.

But Hank I find it odd that while I know you have strong feelings about certain posters on this forum I haven’t a clue what you think about Voodoo Lounge. Care to regale us with your thoughts?

Lol...Hankm - I believe he was banned for calling someone a child molestor whose opinion went against his own.
His diatribe posted above sound suspiciously familiar to another recent notorious/irrational poster who spends more time insulting people he disagrees with than talking about the Stones.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 28, 2018 02:59

VL is the last album where we hear M+K singing harmonies together (Sweethearts Together, Baby Break It Down, The Worst). It is a 15 song album that, imho, should have been an 8 or 9 song album, but the heart of this record is good. I just wish they didn't give up on singing together. M+K harmonies are magical, part of the Stones magic for me.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 28, 2018 03:58

ohmercy61
I agree Love is strong is damn good song the album overall is good better than steel wheels best since tattoo you.

^Agreed. Love Is Strong is their best single since Start Me Up IMO ..

Album was great ... time was great ... tour and summer were f***g great.

Date: September 28, 2018 07:05

I do agree that
"Love is Strong" was a superb single.
But VL kind of peaks there for me. The reason I find VL the worst of all Stones albums is because there is a bit of desperation about it. Don Was was producing, and he even said in interviews that he was trying to put out a great Stones album. But IMO he went about it by looking back.
As in "well on that great album they did this and that, so if we do it again it will be great". The album is way too long, it has no identity, no common thread; it tries so hard to hit all bases. Side 2 is just terrible. "The Worst" was another good one.

But the way one treasures an album is a personal matter. I think Hank says this earlier in the thread that to him the album spells a happy time in his life. This is undeniable. "Undercover" does that to me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1742
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home