Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 8, 2015 14:39

Nine Inch Nails
N.W.A
The Smiths
Deep Purple
Janet Jackson
Chic
Steve Miller
Chicago
Chaka Khan
The Spinners
Cheap Trick
The Cars
The J.B.'s
Los Lobos
Yes

Re: OT: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Date: October 8, 2015 14:47

The Cars...

Doesn't the guy next to the right look a lot like Mick?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2015 14:50

Pretty talented nominees...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 8, 2015 14:52

tatters
Nine Inch Nails
N.W.A
The Smiths
Deep Purple
Janet Jackson
Chic
Steve Miller
Chicago
Chaka Khan
The Spinners
Cheap Trick
The Cars
The J.B.'s
Los Lobos
Yes

None of these bands are in the HOF?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 8, 2015 15:38

Why Janet Jackson? She´s still alive, she´s still making crap, she´s still got nothing to do with RnR.
Why not Selena Gomez?

Date: October 8, 2015 15:50

No Warren Zevon again...what a crock of shit.

Of the nominees, The Cars and Cheap Trick the my personal faves.

My guess is Deep Purple and Steve Miller are locks, even though I don't care much for either.

Date: October 8, 2015 15:55

About time Deep Purple got in, one of the original heavy metals in my book.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: October 8, 2015 15:59

Boy they're really beginning to scrape the barrel...I can't name any songs with about 3 or 4 of those bands...on the other hand, a couple of those bands "belong" (Deep Purple, Yes, Steve Miller, maybe Smiths, the Cars & Los Lobos...Who are the J.B's, Spinners, and Chic?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:02

Well the list doesn't have a whole lot of controversy this year. Glad to see Yes and Deep Purple make the list. This whole award has always been pretty meaningless to me.

I'm guessing the will still try to get some superstars like Macca or Jagger or Bono to present the awards in order to give a bit more credibility to the whole affair.

Dandie, "that guy" from the Cars who you think looks like Mick is Elliott Easton, a very good guitar player. Some of his solos are truly brilliant.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:06

DandelionPowderman
The Cars...

Doesn't the guy next to the right look a lot like Mick?

Why the long face, Ric?

Date: October 8, 2015 16:06

Wow, Nine Inch Nails are eligible for entry??

I am officially OLD.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:16

Ah yes, it's that time of year again when people here post about how stupid the HOF is and how they don't care about it and then a second later complain that this person is in and this other person isn't.

The Hall of Fame is dumb.
No Harry Nilsson???

Date: October 8, 2015 16:27

Boognish
Ah yes, it's that time of year again when people here post about how stupid the HOF is and how they don't care about it and then a second later complain that this person is in and this other person isn't.

The Hall of Fame is dumb.
No Harry Nilsson???

Perhaps the selections of who is in and who isn't are just a big part of why people don't care about the Hall. I initially thought it was a good idea but have come to see it as something considerably less. Joan Jett before Deep Purple and Yes? smoking smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:34

Yes
Deep Purple.
NIN

Two great bands and one man band.
thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:34

One of their worst lists they've done. And thats saying something.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:46

This crappy R'n'R Hall of fame will never be complete without Rory Gallagher. Thinkin about Janet Jackson being inducted is just ridiculous.
By the way is the J.Geils Band already in?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 8, 2015 16:50

What are the criteria to be nominated?

Date: October 8, 2015 17:02

Koen
What are the criteria to be nominated?
[rockhall.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 8, 2015 17:12

Then Janet Jackson´s nomination becomes more and more mysterious...

Date: October 8, 2015 17:15

NoPanic
This crappy R'n'R Hall of fame will never be complete without Rory Gallagher. Thinkin about Janet Jackson being inducted is just ridiculous.
By the way is the J.Geils Band already in?
They are not. So are like 20 other ridiculous oversights.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 8, 2015 17:41

Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues have never even been nominated, yet this is something like the twelfth year in a row that the disco band Chic has been nominated, despite consistently finishing in last place in the fan voting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 17:41 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:01

tatters
Jethro Tull and the Moody Blues have never even been nominated, yet this is something like the twelfth year in a row that the disco band Chic has been nominated, despite consistently finishing in last place in the fan voting.

That is enough to make any fan of rock music realize what crap this is if they don't know it already.
Alog with Tull and the Moody Blues, still can't believe Deep Purple hasn't made it.
Maybe this year, but it's really all meaningless anyways.

The Sex Pistols did the right thing in 2006 by refusing to attend the ceremony, calling the museum nothing more than a "piss stain". smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 8, 2015 18:12

Go, Morrissey and Marr!

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 8, 2015 19:51

The Smiths & Los Lobos are the picks of this bunch.

N.W.A. and to a lesser extent Deep Purple (and maybe Yes?) were sufficiently influential to deserve it.

Chic were the world's greatest disco band for a short while, and I guess that has to count for something...

Steve Miller & Chaka Khan had second acts, Steve Miller had maybe more than two, so they've got that going for them

Janet Jackson & The Spinners were good in their day, but HOF?

Chicago? godawful

The rest are in the 'wait long enough and everyone gets in' crowd

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 20:25

this thing is a joke.

Date: October 8, 2015 20:39

tatters

Obviously there are some politics involved here. Your points are great ones and draw serious attention to the absurd nature of the Hall. Perhaps if they changed their name to Popular Music Hall of Fame or something it would all make more sense. Rock and Roll is a pretty well defined genre and it just doesn't make sense for some of these acts to claim greatness within that title, especially when great rock acts like you mention have not been nominated in their place.

Even mentioning acts like Chic and Janet Jackson in the same breath as Rock and Roll was enough to cause fights with true Rock fans at one time. LOL

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 8, 2015 20:54

See below for an interesting recap of the Spinners' journey (source Wiki).

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 21:00

Naturalust
tatters

Obviously there are some politics involved here. Your points are great ones and draw serious attention to the absurd nature of the Hall. Perhaps if they changed their name to Popular Music Hall of Fame or something it would all make more sense. Rock and Roll is a pretty well defined genre and it just doesn't make sense for some of these acts to claim greatness within that title, especially when great rock acts like you mention have not been nominated in their place.

Even mentioning acts like Chic and Janet Jackson in the same breath as Rock and Roll was enough to cause fights with true Rock fans at one time. LOL

yes it's very silly. it's all about money.

the way to do a prize with integrity is the nobel prize - funded by a wealthy donor, no incentive to make lots of $$, the only thing they care about is quality. of course the nobel involves politics too, but at least the money part of the equation is largely gone.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 8, 2015 21:35

In an effort to get some props for some of my fellow bass players I'll share this link and article

11 Bass Players Who Should Be In The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

We serve the singer, the song, the soloist, and ultimately the listener. Though we do not possess the harmonic nor sonic range of a guitar, keyboards, voice, horns, wind instruments, nor the dynamics of drums and percussion-the bass player determines how a musical chord actually sounds - which, in essence -often determines whether or not you'll like the track. Do the math!

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees have been announced and I congratulate all the artists: The Cars, Chic, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, Janet Jackson, The J.B.'s, Chaka Khan, Los Lobos, Steve Miller, Nine Inch Nails, N.W.A., The Smiths, The Spinners, and Yes.

Since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation began in 1983 there has been much controversy over who belongs and who does not. It's no different than sports Halls of Fame. Controversy, dispute, and rock 'n' roll are siblings, and I accept that. However I must stand up for my woefully neglected bass brethren, some of whom no longer lay down the groove on this mortal coil.

As such, history reveals that when iconic Rock and Roll Hall of Famers fired their signature bass players, their commercial and artistic fortunes waned considerably: Elton John, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen - who recovered when he re-hired the E Street Band, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, and Alice Cooper - who dumped his entire original band; among others, were never the same sans their formative four string bandmates.

Obviously there are more than eleven bass players who deserve recognition in the Hall. Based on conversations with my fellow players, musicians, engineers, producers, writers, and vinyl loving devotees, herein are eleven from the classic rock era who must be cited, especially given the fact that they appear on several Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artists' most important recordings.

This list, in the tradition of Spinal Tap, goes to 11!

Dee Murray: To atone for producer Gus Dudgeon's curious refusal to utilize his extraordinary road band in the studio until 1972, Elton John released 11-17-70 which is among the essential live albums of any era in rock. Bassist Dee Murray and drummer Nigel Olsson, who, along with guitarist Davey Johnstone, also created the vocal harmonies to Elton's early classics, distinguished themselves as an elite rhythm section. The original Elton John Band's absence from the Hall of Fame is inexcusable.

Carl Radle: From the late 1960s until his untimely passing in 1980, bassist Carl Radle's jaw-dropping resume includes enduring releases by Hall of Famers Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Dr. John, Leon Russell, Buddy Guy, Art Garfunkel, Donovan, and Bob Dylan. Carl's work on Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs is irreplaceable: every bassist in Slowhand's subsequent ensembles renders Radle's lines from that album nearly note-for-note - that's how extraordinary Carl was!

Kenny Aaronson: Cited as Bassist of the Year in 1988 by Rolling Stone, Kenny is among rock's most versatile and resourceful players. His career spans scores of seminal sides and concert performances, including Hall of Famers Ronnie Spector, Bob Dylan, Sammy Hagar, Joan Jett, Daryl Hall & John Oates, and one artist whose omission from the Hall is sacrilege: Rick Derringer.

Harvey Brooks: Session bassist and producer Harvey Brooks was the go-to player on the New York studio scene in the 1960s. As the electric bass was essentially in its infancy, Brooks brought his deep understanding of blues, pop, soul, folk, and jazz to the instrument, appearing on such influential albums by Hall of Famers Bob Dylan (Highway 61 Revisited) Miles Davis (Bitches Brew -with Dave Holland), the Doors (Soft Parade), and Al Kooper's Super Sessions with Mike Bloomfield, to name a few.

John Dalton and Jim Rodford: Behold the missing Kinks! Of the bassists who served Muswell Hill's favorite sons following the departure of founding member Peter Quaife, John Dalton is likely the one player whom American rock fans heard the most on FM radio by way of "Lola," "Victoria," "20th Century Man," "Celluloid Heroes," and "Jukebox Music," among many others from 1969 to 1976. Jim Rodford was a founding member of the progressive pop powerhouse Argent (1969-76) and the longest tenured (1978-96) and most musically adept bassist The Kinks ever employed.

Klaus Voorman: In addition to his brilliant performances on the Beatles' extensive solo canon, Klaus was a first- call studio bassist for Hall of Famers B.B. King, Donovan, Jerry Lee Lewis, Lou Reed, Randy Newman, and Dion, among others. Voorman's intro to Carly Simon's "You're So Vain," a hit song about another Hall of Famer, is among the most recognizable motifs in the history of pop music.

Herbie Flowers: "Being a bass-player is like being a truck driver...you're paid to arrive on time and safely at your destination!" His repetitive, major 10th interval glissando created rock's greatest bassline for Hall of Famer Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side." With a blue 1960 Fender Jazz which he purchased from Manny's in New York City for $79.00, Herbie Flowers emerged as the quintessential session player in his native UK. His drop-tuning bass on David Essex's "Rock On," and riveting counterpoint beneath David Bowie's "Space Oddity" remain watershed.

Lee Sklar: A session giant with album credits in the thousands, Lee was the foundation for "The Section" - a musical assemblage of Los Angeles based virtuosos who were the catalyst on scores of iconic album and singles sessions. Among the Hall of Famers Lee enhanced include: James Taylor, Ray Charles, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Donna Summer, Jackson Browne, Diana Ross, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Michael Jackson, among others.

Doug Yule: For all the hipster hosannas heaped upon the Velvet Underground - and deservedly so, one essential member is oft overlooked - bassist Doug Yule, who joined the band upon John Cale's dismissal in 1968. Unlike Cale, who was indifferent to the instrument, Yule was a fine bass player and singer who complimented Lou's gravitation from the avant-garde towards the then burgeoning singer-songwriter movement. Though The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967) and White Light/White Heat (1968) were influential, groundbreaking efforts; to my ears Velvet Underground (1969) and Loaded (1970) both with Yule, are the VU's most enduring works.

Will Lee: Assuming the mantle created by Doc Severinsen's legendary NBC Orchestra as heard on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson - bandleader Paul Shaffer and bassist Will Lee's groundbreaking tenure in the World's Most Dangerous Band for David Letterman's Late Night and Late Show brought the language of rock, blues, soul, folk, country, jazz fusion, and funk to the Great American Songbook.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 8, 2015 22:36

2000man
The Smiths & Los Lobos are the picks of this bunch.

N.W.A. and to a lesser extent Deep Purple (and maybe Yes?) were sufficiently influential to deserve it.

Chic were the world's greatest disco band for a short while, and I guess that has to count for something...

Steve Miller & Chaka Khan had second acts, Steve Miller had maybe more than two, so they've got that going for them

Janet Jackson & The Spinners were good in their day, but HOF?

Chicago? godawful

The rest are in the 'wait long enough and everyone gets in' crowd

I can't understand this for a second. You think Deep Purple "to a lesser extent" were sufficiently influential to deserve induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I'm not even really a Deep Purple fan but understand their massive influence on music. For Smoke On The Water alone, but for so much more as well. They were one of the first heavy bands, back when The Beatles were still making music, and to not see that they are clearly the most deserving on this list is inexcusable IMO. The only clear rock acts on this list are Deep Purple, Yes, and Cheap Trick, who you don't even mention. I don't actually believe they are HOF worthy. They were fine, but not HOF worthy, so I've always felt I can be objective in that way. But they absolutely deserve to be in over the rest of this year's garbage.

I don't mean to single you out, because obviously you're entitled to your opinion, but it is opinions like this about the Rock And Roll hall of fame that I don't get. You absolutely see merit in NWA?! Who I'm sure would categorize themselves as rap and not rock. And Los Lobos?!! When does anything hear the words "rock and roll" and think Los Lobos! Its nothing against their talent, but its a hall designated for a specific genre. If people think those groups are more deserving than someone obvious like Deep Purple, Yes, and the Moody Blues... I'll just never understand that. I hate to single out a group of people, but THAT'S whats wrong with the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, voters and fans alike. Make a disco Hall Of Fame if you want to induct Chic into something. The Hall is already bad, but people giving credit to these ridiculous acts over actual deserving ones IN THE GENRE THE HALL IS MEANT FOR are making it so much worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 22:38 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home