Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keiths injuries
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:19

I guess he kind of messed himself up when he tripped on the catwalk last summer.

From the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone:

.....At the band's July 4th show in Indianapolis, Richards was running down the catwalk toward to stage during the sax solo of "Miss You" and tripped face-forward. "Somebody tossed a red straw boater hat, and it landed right in front of my feet," Richards says. "I kicked it aside – 'All right, that's out of the way' – and it @#$%& bounced back in front of me, and I hit the floor. And suddenly I'm on my hands and knees in front of 60,000 people. My bracelet came off from the shock. It was, 'OK, get out of this one, pal!"

"I might've cracked a rib," he says, placing his hand on his right side. "There's nothing doctors can do about it. I thought, 'Shit, if I let them know how much I'm hurting, the doctors and the insurance companies will be like, 'Cancel the next gigs.' @#$%& it. I'll live with it. After 50 year on the stage, you're going to fall over occasionally and take a knock."

His 2006 brain injury was more serious than he let on.
Richards discusses at length the aftermath of his 2006 accident in which he fell off a branch in Fiji. "You take a blow like that, you kind of feel stunned for another year or two afterward, really," he says. "You know, you suddenly realize you've been semiconscious." One consequence of the accident was Richards had to stop using cocaine before gigs, and reduce his alcohol intake. Richards says it's helped with his post-show recovery time. "Take cocaine onstage, and you're drenched. Now, half an hour, drive me home, and I'm ready for anything."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 23:22 by keithglimmer.

Re: Keiths injury
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:23

I saw him in Buffalo, no ill effects that night

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:25

It was a red plastic 4th-of-July junk hat.

I wish people would grasp that throwing stuff at the stage endangers the artists.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:28

Maindefender

well maybe he started drinking to numb the pain. would explain why no solo shows

Re: Keiths injuries
Date: October 7, 2015 23:35

Here's a photo showing the guilty hat: [www.iorr.org]
The discussion of the incident starts on page 15 of that thread.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:00

That picture of the hat and keith looking at it like he wished he had his gun lol

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2015 00:45

keefriffhards
Maindefender

well maybe he started drinking to numb the pain. would explain why no solo shows

I think Keith (and his doctor's) probably know a few better prescriptions for pain than alcohol. He sure hid it well if he indeed did crack a rib.

I was totally impressed how he protected the guitar in the fall!

Date: October 8, 2015 00:57

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Maindefender

I think Keith (and his doctor's) probably know a few better prescriptions for pain than alcohol. He sure hid it well if he indeed did crack a rib.

But i bet i know what Keith prefers as a pain killer winking smiley
He said in the interview he didn't want to involve the doctors in case they cancelled the shows
Plus prescription drugs are more harmful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 00:59 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 8, 2015 01:59

^ Prescription drugs more harmful than adding to the copious amounts of alcohol Keith has drunk over the years? I think not. Alcohol is one of the most destructive substances out there.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 8, 2015 04:17

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Maindefender

But i bet i know what Keith prefers as a pain killer winking smiley
He said in the interview he didn't want to involve the doctors in case they cancelled the shows
Plus prescription drugs are more harmful

Pretty sure he just didn't want to involve certain doctors and the insurance company. If Keith isn't capable of getting a doctor willing to be secretive about the whole affair, no one is.

Just glad he didn't injure himself worse actually, that was a scary moment!

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 8, 2015 04:18

The sad truth is that over long term even morphine is less destructive to the body than alcohol is . The dangers of narcotic pain releivers are in their seductive quality and their much quicker addictive potential as compared to alcohol. The reputation that they have is largely based on the laws that govern their distribution and the public's perception. There are a huge number of people in the world with some form of "chronic pain syndrome" taking large doses of narcotics every day, up to and including morphine. The drugs do not seem to directly damage the human body like alcohol does, though the behavior assocaited with the addiction at times can be despicably destructive. Withdrawl from these opiates can cause dramatic illness, but ultimately it is a non life threatening situation. Just the opposite is true for alcohol, withdrawl after long term drinking can lead into a critical medical emergency requiring intervention to prevent seizure's and even death.\

Ultimately alcohol get's off easy because of it's social acceptance, where as opiates are percieved as more dangerous because of a political and public campaign to demonize them that escalated in the last half of the 20th century. Given all of that, it's the best thing to just not be an addict of any kind of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 23:22 by kahoosier.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 8, 2015 04:41

Kinda ironic Keith tripped up by a plastic hat.....would be really weird if it were a red silo cup. Ha.

I was at Indy, I hate the idea he was in pain trying to play.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: October 8, 2015 05:15

No he didnt get hurt. If he had a cracked rib he never would of got up. I cracked a rib one time and was out of work for 6 weeks. Probabaly just a bruse

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2015 05:43

I agree with you Rockinjive - if he truly cracked it he would have been out for awhile.

I cracked a rib once going head over heels over my bicycle, with all my weight landing on the handlebar.
I was in pretty bad pain the first day, but it increasingly became intolerable over the next few days as it swelled up.
Even taking a deep breath was horrible, not to mention a cough or a sneeze - excruciating pain.
Doctor couldn't do a thing except prescribe vicodin which got me through it.
After 7-10 days pain began to reside, but took over a month or more to fully go away.

This was when I was about 25 years old - can't imagine going through all that at keith's age.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: October 8, 2015 06:23

thumbs upthumbs up
kahoosier
The sad truth is that over long term even morphine is less destructive to the body than alcohol is . The dangers of narcotic pain releivers are in their seductive quality and their much quicker addictive potential as compared to alcohol. The reputation that they have is largely based on the laws that govern their distribution and the public's percetion. There are a huge number of people in the world with some form of "chronic pain syndrome" taking large doses of narcotics every day, up to and including morphine. The drugs do not seem to directly damage the human body like alcohol does, though the behavior assocaited with the addiction at times can be despicably destructive. Withdrawl from these opiates can cause dramatic illness, but ultimately it is a non life threatening situation. Just the opposite is true for alcohol, withdrawl after long term drinking can lead into a critical medical emergency requiring intervention to prevent seizure's and even death.\

Ultimately alcohol get's off easy because of it's social acceptance, where as opiates are percieved as more dangerous because of a political and public campaign to deomonize them that escalted in the last half of the 20th century. Given all of that, it;s the best thing to just not be an addict of any kind of course.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 06:34

At the last Anaheim concert, my side seat was right near the stage's "bottom lip" where it met the stage. And when Mick was wagging his arms at me and my seat mates I was thrilled. But he was on that narrow strip and I looked down and it was a fifteen-foot drop to hard cement steps below. So part of me was a worried mother thinking, "I hope nobody throws anything at Mick here."

Mick was asked if during the "return" Hyde Park concert he thought of the one decades before. Mick said his attention was totally outward because "stages are dangerous places."

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: October 8, 2015 06:39

In retrospect, it's kind of amazing Keith was able to complete those Bigger Bang shows post-head-trauma.

Posted by: rileyf ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:22

I hope I can be forgiven for reposting this from another thread- I was right in front of Keith when he fell and managed to snag a series of photos from the event. (I had no idea he was about to fall when I started snapping. got "lucky" i suppose.) there was a brief pause after the song finished but Keith didn't appear shaken in the lest following this.

[www.rileyfields.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:25

Hairball
I agree with you Rockinjive - if he truly cracked it he would have been out for awhile.

I cracked a rib once going head over heels over my bicycle, with all my weight landing on the handlebar.
I was in pretty bad pain the first day, but it increasingly became intolerable over the next few days as it swelled up.
Even taking a deep breath was horrible, not to mention a cough or a sneeze - excruciating pain.
Doctor couldn't do a thing except prescribe vicodin which got me through it.
After 7-10 days pain began to reside, but took over a month or more to fully go away.

This was when I was about 25 years old - can't imagine going through all that at keith's age.

With age, it's worse. I had something similiar a few years ago. Getting in and out of a car, or in and out of bed, was a nightmare.

Last week, my neighbor, who's maybe 27, fell off his bike. He's still walking around like he's 100 years old.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:31

RockinJive
No he didnt get hurt. If he had a cracked rib he never would of got up. I cracked a rib one time and was out of work for 6 weeks. Probabaly just a bruse

I cracked a rib on 2 occasions and while in pain never missed a day of work. I tried to play basketball once with it and it was extremely hard and painful. Couldn't move. If Keith had my cracked ribs he probably could play a concert but it would be very painful. With pain meds for sure could do.

I guess not all cracked rib are alike or me and Keith are 100 times tougher then you.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 07:33

"The doctors, I can't involve them..."

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 8, 2015 09:05

TeddyB1018
"The doctors, I can't involve them..."
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 8, 2015 09:56

God knows what they would find :E

Meanwhile it's absurdly presumptuous to post "no he didn't get hurt".

And keefriffhards, I'm sorry you're back to theorizing about someone else's drinking.
Again: That's how rumours start that the crap gossip sites pick up and spew all over.
Don't do that, okay? Thanks

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 8, 2015 09:59

I can't remember when but he accidently fell off a ladder in his library while attempting to reach a book.

Date: October 8, 2015 10:03

with sssoul
God knows what they would find :E

Meanwhile it's absurdly presumptuous to post "no he didn't get hurt".

And keefriffhards, I'm sorry you're back to theorizing about someone else's drinking.
Again: That's how rumours start that the crap gossip sites pick up and spew all over.
Don't do that, okay? Thanks

You have got to be kidding, he drinks in every interview, Vodka and sunkist orange, he is Keith Richards
You honestly think Keith drinking is news worthy lol
Stop policing this site please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 10:11 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:05

Chris Fountain
I can't remember when but he accidently fell off a ladder in his library while attempting to reach a book.

May 1998, delaying the European tour.

Date: October 8, 2015 10:10

keefriffhards
You have got to be kidding, he drinks in every interview, Vodka and sunkist orange, he is Keith Richards

I know who he is, dear, but look at what you wrote.
If he does it nonstop, it has nothing to do with anything, right?
So why connect it to a] the fall in Indianapolis and b] the lack of solo shows? That's how crap gossip starts.

Date: October 8, 2015 10:14

with sssoul
keefriffhards

I know who he is, dear, but look at what you wrote.
If he does it nonstop, it has nothing to do with anything, right?
So why connect it to a] the fall in Indianapolis and b] the lack of solo shows? That's how crap gossip starts.

I didn't say that him falling in Indianapolis had anything to do with him drinking

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:15

erikjjf
Chris Fountain

May 1998, delaying the European tour.

That would be part of the B to B tour? I saw them in Charlotte on that tour, which turned out to be one of their superior shows.

Date: October 8, 2015 10:22

keefriffhards
I didn't say that him falling in Indianapolis had anything to do with him drinking

Ah but you did, in your reply to Main Defender and then to Naturalust as well.
It's not my fault ...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home