Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Mick in Cuba
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 15, 2015 01:49

ROPENI
Naturalust
ROPENI, those are all good points, but it's obvious to me the Stones are going to do this for other reasons besides business and profit. The historical aspect of playing in Cuba and the thrill of playing to an audience who has never heard them live are probably the main reasons. Certainly lots of international press will result from the affair. I look at it like a big club show for them.

Perhaps fat cats like Raul Castro and his buddies are Stones fans and will sweeten the pot somehow. lol

In any case it will interesting to see how the Cubans react to the show. My guess is that they will be swept up in the pure excitement and grandness of the event. Regardless of their tastes in music, it's hard not to imagine them being moved by loud guitars, fancy lights and visuals and of course Mick's dancing. smoking smiley

You may be right Nat,we will see,l hope the concert comes about,as a matter of fact if possible l will attend since l am right next door in Puerto Rico....

I hope you get your chance ROPENI! Seems like an awesome place to see the Stones. btw: I LOVE your little island. Been over there a couple times on surfing safari's and was never disappointed. I also play the cuatro which is of course from Puerto Rico, 5 double course strings which I tune open like Keith, it is a magical instrument.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 15, 2015 02:03

Naturalust
ROPENI
Naturalust
ROPENI, those are all good points, but it's obvious to me the Stones are going to do this for other reasons besides business and profit. The historical aspect of playing in Cuba and the thrill of playing to an audience who has never heard them live are probably the main reasons. Certainly lots of international press will result from the affair. I look at it like a big club show for them.

Perhaps fat cats like Raul Castro and his buddies are Stones fans and will sweeten the pot somehow. lol

In any case it will interesting to see how the Cubans react to the show. My guess is that they will be swept up in the pure excitement and grandness of the event. Regardless of their tastes in music, it's hard not to imagine them being moved by loud guitars, fancy lights and visuals and of course Mick's dancing. smoking smiley

You may be right Nat,we will see,l hope the concert comes about,as a matter of fact if possible l will attend since l am right next door in Puerto Rico....

I hope you get your chance ROPENI! Seems like an awesome place to see the Stones. btw: I LOVE your little island. Been over there a couple times on surfing safari's and was never disappointed. I also play the cuatro which is of course from Puerto Rico, 5 double course strings which I tune open like Keith, it is a magical instrument.
Well in 2006 The Stones played here for the first time ever,of course l was there, surfing did you go to Rincon? thats the main place for surfing,did you make it to the National Forest El Yunque? a beautiful place,wow you play El Cuatro a beautiful instrument,did you ever heard Yomo Toro playing it? The best....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: October 15, 2015 02:25

ROPENI

Well in 2006 The Stones played here for the first time ever,of course l was there, surfing did you go to Rincon? thats the main place for surfing,did you make it to the National Forest El Yunque? a beautiful place,wow you play El Cuatro a beautiful instrument,did you ever heard Yomo Toro playing it? The best....

Yes we hit as many breaks as possible on that western coastline! Some great memories. Pretty sure me and the girlfriend went to El Yunque, it that the rainforest with the wooden plank walkway through it? And yes of course I've heard Yomo Toro play, an amazing custrista. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Cheers brother!

Date: October 15, 2015 02:40

Naturalust
ROPENI

Yes we hit as many breaks as possible on that western coastline! Some great memories. Pretty sure me and the girlfriend went to El Yunque, it that the rainforest with the wooden plank walkway through it? And yes of course I've heard Yomo Toro play, an amazing custrista. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Cheers brother!
Thanks Man...smileys with beer

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:01

ROPENI

Cuba does not have private companies that could sponsor a Rolling Stones show...

I am sure there are more than one company in the world OUTSIDE CUBA that want to join in on this opportunity, meaning they will build goodwill. If the Stones want to play Cuba, they will do it. They played Istanbul at an almost empty stadium in a city of 18 million people, they flew to Johannesburgh without the Cobra, they flew to Toronto to perform for free one show only in the middle of their European tour. Sure they can do it if they want.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 09:47

bv
ROPENI

Cuba does not have private companies that could sponsor a Rolling Stones show...

I am sure there are more than one company in the world OUTSIDE CUBA that want to join in on this opportunity, meaning they will build goodwill. If the Stones want to play Cuba, they will do it. They played Istanbul at an almost empty stadium in a city of 18 million people, they flew to Johannesburgh without the Cobra, they flew to Toronto to perform for free one show only in the middle of their European tour. Sure they can do it if they want.

why was the stadium empty in istanbul?

Date: October 15, 2015 10:51

Doesn't look that bad...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 15, 2015 10:52

They filled 60 percent of the stadium, according to Bjørnulf's review.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 15, 2015 10:53

hard to tell, maybe everyone ran out of the stadium when they heard chuck's horrendous piano intro...

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 15, 2015 12:03

DandelionPowderman
Doesn't look that bad...

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Nice video too.

Date: October 15, 2015 15:22

bv
ROPENI

Of course bv if they want, it will happen,and yes there are probably some companies that would be willing to pay for the concert in order to be in good graces with the Cuban government and the Cuban people,lets hope they step up......

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: October 15, 2015 16:23

ROPENI
bv
ROPENI

Of course bv if they want, it will happen,and yes there are probably some companies that would be willing to pay for the concert in order to be in good graces with the Cuban government and the Cuban people,lets hope they step up......

Bjornulf is absolutely right. There are plenty of companies, even US ones, who would love to build a brand in Cuba as it opens-up. Association with the Stones would be a great way to get identity without the image being so "capitalist" - which would of course be ironic given how successful the Stones commercial machine has become!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 15, 2015 20:16

About the show in Istanbul Sept 19, 1998:
It was scheduled for a much larger stadium at the home ground of the Besiktas football team, but due to poor ticket sales they moved it to the much smaller 25,000 capacity Ali Sami Yen staium. They sold 14,000 tickets and the field was half empty, the seats were almost empty, I have never ever been at such an "empty" Stones show. For sure it was a show they did not make any money from. Three days earlier they performed in front of a sold out 80,000 capacithy crowd in Athens Greece... The few hundred people around the walkway to the B-stage in Istanbul is not a real pucture of the financial success of this show. I was there. Big city, small crowd. I don't know why people use a video clip to understand a show. Makes no sense. It is a fact that the Stones do perform shows even f they do not make any revenue from them, that is what I am trying to say. Facts are facts. Forget the video from the B-stage.

About The Stones in Cuba:
There are too many pessimists on IORR. May be it is age, may be it is just frustrations. Fact is Mick is NOT a pessimist. Like Keith and the rest of the Stones he loves to perform in front of a new virgin crowd, and then he find ways to finance the shows. May be the Bacardi family, who took their money and frew out of Cuba during the revoult. May be a hotel chain like Melia/Tryp/Wyndham/Sol want to mark their currently strong hotel position in Cuba. May be InBew who now own Bud, Stella, Miller, Becks, Grolsch and a bunch of other beers want to get into Cuba and they probably know Cristal isn't the best beer in the world. There are numerous international players in tourist, entertainment business and more with long term interests in a growing Cuban market. If I had time, I would love to invest in the Cuban market myself. The Bahamas and other nearby tourist sites in the Caribean will learn that Cuba slowly open up and normalize versus the hugh nearby market in USA. Mick has good a great card during his negotiations.

Bjornulf

Date: October 15, 2015 20:20

I didn't post the video because I doubted your experience, Bjørnulf. Just wanted to show how the fans enjoyed it anyhow. I hope that was correct?

Date: October 15, 2015 21:27

When the Stones are playing for guarantees, it's the promoter who loses out from 1/2 filled stadiums. I of course have no idea how the contracts will be done for Cuba, but I'd bet someone is going to make money out of the affair. It will be curious to see what the ticket prices will be.

I have a feeling the Stones show in Cuba will be a big damn deal. Cubans love to party and dance, the Stones are definitely the biggest international act to consider playing there and people who have been deprived of access to other cultures like the Cubans have must be thirsty for such worldly entertainment.

Probably even set a record for the number of visas requested to travel there from the USA.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 15, 2015 21:44

I would love to go to Havana for this gig. Always wanted to go to Cuba and no visa problems as a Brit with no convictions.
It's gonna be either this one or about 6 or seven gigs in South America.
Just not gonna be able to make both places ,but all depends on commitments etc.
Just gotta wait till all officially announced and dates work out O.K.

Really looking forward to first 3 months of 2016 even if I'm watching The Stones on IORR, periscope or youtube. smileys with beer

Date: October 16, 2015 02:00

bv wrote
"There are too many pessimists on IORR. May be it is age, may be it is just frustrations. Fact is Mick is NOT a pessimist"

If you are referring to me as one of those "pessimists",you are completely wrong,l wish the Stones would play in Havana l even mentioned my intentions to attend if possible,but l also gave some sound reasons why it may not happen,no big deal,just my opinion...

Date: October 16, 2015 10:48

All those reasons were plausible, ROPENI.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 16, 2015 18:57

Mick taking care of the South American tour

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:08

ROPENI
bv wrote
"There are too many pessimists on IORR. May be it is age, may be it is just frustrations. Fact is Mick is NOT a pessimist"

If you are referring to me as one of those "pessimists",you are completely wrong,l wish the Stones would play in Havana l even mentioned my intentions to attend if possible,but l also gave some sound reasons why it may not happen,no big deal,just my opinion...

It definitely was an opinion, and not one without value necessarily.
But it was consistently pessimistic. That's fact.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 16, 2015 21:16

Maybe the mafia will want to sponsor the concert. Just sayin'.

Date: October 16, 2015 21:45

Well obviously now days here "wishing upon a star" is more acceptable than being realistic,time will tell...winking smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 17, 2015 01:54

If the Stones play Havana Mick should come out wearing this T-shirt from the Bigger Bang tour:

Mocking:

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 17, 2015 17:10

Hey Shattered-Any response regarding your license?

-Chris

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:12

OneHourPhoto
Typical close-minded American speaking here, as I have no idea what other countries have travel restrictions into Cuba, besides the United States...

...but I hope that this show is announced much sooner than later so it allows U.S citizens time to figure out what qualifications we can apply for to visit Cuba and how to go about travelling there

Some of my family is going to Cuba at the end of November. They had no problems with anything to do with restrictions.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:40

Title5Take1
If the Stones play Havana Mick should come out wearing this T-shirt from the Bigger Bang tour:

Mocking:

I would give my left nut for that T Shirt at the top. WAR CHILDREN ITS JUST A SHOT AWAY. jezz if thats not the best line ever smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 17, 2015 20:57

Turner68
hard to tell, maybe everyone ran out of the stadium when they heard chuck's horrendous piano intro...

That is too funny!!!!!!!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 17, 2015 21:16

GasLightStreet
Turner68

That is too funny!!!!!!!

HAHA thumbs up

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 17, 2015 21:48

chrism13
Hey Shattered-Any response regarding your license?

-Chris

Hi: Nothing and I just emailed em to ask for a reason.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 17, 2015 23:53

ROPENI
Well obviously now days here "wishing upon a star" is more acceptable than being realistic,time will tell...winking smiley
Love the Lucinda tag line.. fact remains calling pessimism "realistic" doesn't make it so.. Realistic to you, I get. I remain optimistic, with good reason. Wish upon a star insinuates no chance, no Mick visit , no... etc.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2053
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home