Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Too Much Blood (New)
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:25

I liked it alot when it was released, and still like it a bit now.
Perhaps the production hasn't aged well, but the guitar parts have a nice vibe and Micks vocals are pretty good:
"I want to dance, I want to sing, I want to bust up everything..."
The spoken parts are kind of unnecessary, but adds to the novelty of the tune.
There are some crazy dance and dub re-mixes of this that are actually pretty good....a time capsule of the period.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:35

Sounds too much like an 80's movie track.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:41

Witness
This song to me is a realization of the idea that a song on an album that is not necessarily the best individual track, in some cases may contribute more to making that album becoming great than many a straightforward very good song. The greatness that "Too Much Blood" imparts to UNDERCOVER, in the next instance is reflected back to "Too Much Blod" as individual track of the album. It emerges as an important track of UNDERCOVER. That is, an album is more than a collection of individually aspiring best songs. As such, I hail "Too Much Blood" in itself isolated as highly interesting song with its subjectmatter, and I immensely like and love the effect of what the song transfers to this great album.

I agree with what you're on to here. Undercover, to me, is the one album after Exile where I look at each song as a piece of the whole. It's hard for me to critique this one just on it's own, it just fits well, IMO.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2015 21:16

Rip 'Undercover of the Night' from the album, make 'She Was Hot' the B-side, and then flush the rest of Undercover down the tube, along with most of Dirty Work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 21:25 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 21:20

24FPS
Rip 'Underocover of the Night' from the album, make 'She Was Hot' the B-side, and then flush the rest of Undercover down the tube, along with most of Dirty Work.

Yup - but keep sleep tonight and wanna hold you and release that as a single too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 22:00 by Turner68.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 5, 2015 21:58

24FPS
Rip 'Undercover of the Night' from the album, make 'She Was Hot' the B-side, and then flush the rest of Undercover down the tube, along with most of Dirty Work.

For your own benefit, you may in that case wonder, which songs from STEEL WHEELS some other posters would let survive a treatment of the same kind.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 6, 2015 00:42

Jagger solo is unnecesary but it is interesting to listen something different.

I had some probabilities to being played for SAL film.

I would have loved to see it being played live.

Date: October 6, 2015 00:47

Turner68
24FPS
Rip 'Underocover of the Night' from the album, make 'She Was Hot' the B-side, and then flush the rest of Undercover down the tube, along with most of Dirty Work.

Yup - but keep sleep tonight and wanna hold you and release that as a single too

That's from Dirty Work.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: October 6, 2015 00:51

This was a trivia question on a local radio here where I live, back in '97,
where they asked in what video did Mick look like "Barney Fife', it was this video of "TMB", I answered it, got my name in the fish bowl and at the end of the week, won two tickets and round trip airfare to see the Stones opening night BTB, Soldier Field, 14 row, had an awesome time!!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 01:05

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Turner68
24FPS

That's from Dirty Work.

that's right. i was responding to a message that referred to it.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 6, 2015 03:51

Best video they ever did and one of my all time favorite Stones deep cuts. To me a totally original sounding Stones songs, great bass riff with horn accents. Just love it. From their tour books, looks like they've tried it out in rehearsals but I guess it wouldn't work live. Would like to see them try. Thought Emotional Rescue worked just fine live and wish they kept that one going live...

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: October 6, 2015 04:12

Horrible.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 6, 2015 05:43

Fanbloodytastic ! Video even better.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 6, 2015 05:46

I love this version [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 6, 2015 05:53

Witness
24FPS

For your own benefit, you may in that case wonder, which songs from STEEL WHEELS some other posters would let survive a treatment of the same kind.

You could take Sad, Sad, Sad/Can't Be Seen & Rock and a Hard Place from Steel Wheels, insert Fancy Man Blues, and you would have a hell of an album.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 08:49

StonesCat

I agree with what you're on to here. Undercover, to me, is the one album after Exile where I look at each song as a piece of the whole. It's hard for me to critique this one just on it's own, it just fits well, IMO.

It's absolutely baffling to me that you think that...

ANyways, Too Much Blood is a catchy tune but it was released before they found the right rhythm for it, IMO. They should’ve kept it in the can a la Start Me Up and secretly worked on it when Mick was shopping in Paris. Slow it down a bit, add some raunchy guitars with a bluesy feel and viola – it’s the summer smash of 1989. Either that or Mick should’ve released it on She’s the Boss because it literally reeks of the solo artist Jagger was soon to become. Keith once said that you find the pure, unadulterated Mick Jagger when he’s playing the harp. Maybe so in the 60s and 70s but in the 80s this song represents the pure, unadulterated MJ...and it’s not that cool.

However, as I and others have said, it is catchy. The problem is that when encountering a Jagger solo piece on a Stones record one’s first (and noble) instinct is to scratch it off the record. Others may disagree but I believe in this day and age and with all this technology at our disposal, the morally correct decision is to transfer this song to that part of your music collection dedicated to Mick Jagger solo works, assuming you have one.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 6, 2015 10:29

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs found a few licks in there that Keith supposedly played, but I'm still not 100 percent convinced he is on the track.

I better give it another 20 years of listening before I conclude smiling smiley

Did I say that? Keith doesn't play on it, it's Jim Barber and Ron Wood. Barber plays all the chords and the 'sound scapes' like tremelo dives and noises, Ron Wood plays the tremelo picked rhythm guitar. Jim Barber has commented that he used Keith's single cut Les Paul Junior through a Boogie MK1 and a Boss CE-2 Chorus, and that Jagger had asked him to play something in the style of Andy Summers. He also stated that Jagger had said to him that when they shot the video both Wood and Richards had no clue what the chords where to the song.

Mathijs

Date: October 6, 2015 11:13

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs found a few licks in there that Keith supposedly played, but I'm still not 100 percent convinced he is on the track.

I better give it another 20 years of listening before I conclude smiling smiley

Did I say that? Keith doesn't play on it, it's Jim Barber and Ron Wood. Barber plays all the chords and the 'sound scapes' like tremelo dives and noises, Ron Wood plays the tremelo picked rhythm guitar. Jim Barber has commented that he used Keith's single cut Les Paul Junior through a Boogie MK1 and a Boss CE-2 Chorus, and that Jagger had asked him to play something in the style of Andy Summers. He also stated that Jagger had said to him that when they shot the video both Wood and Richards had no clue what the chords where to the song.

Mathijs

I could be wrong, but if memory serves you did. Maybe I mixed up Keith with Ronnie smiling smiley

Nevertheless, what you're saying sounds plausible.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:36

Musical and lyrical nonsense for the garbage can ...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 6, 2015 13:53

Obviously the vote is split on this one..........I love it, the rhythm, the mania, the lyrics are ingenious, funny on the one hand with the 'in joke' about Officer and a gentleman something, something you can take the wife to the deadly truth of the Parisian cannibal who ate his classmate.................

Primordial Stones at their best..........I alaways wished they would update the setlist with this and replace Sympathy with it.........too late now. It would have seagued well into Love is strong in '94.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 13:53 by EddieByword.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: October 6, 2015 17:47

Swayed1967
StonesCat

It's absolutely baffling to me that you think that...

ANyways, Too Much Blood is a catchy tune but it was released before they found the right rhythm for it, IMO. They should’ve kept it in the can a la Start Me Up and secretly worked on it when Mick was shopping in Paris. Slow it down a bit, add some raunchy guitars with a bluesy feel and viola – it’s the summer smash of 1989. Either that or Mick should’ve released it on She’s the Boss because it literally reeks of the solo artist Jagger was soon to become. Keith once said that you find the pure, unadulterated Mick Jagger when he’s playing the harp. Maybe so in the 60s and 70s but in the 80s this song represents the pure, unadulterated MJ...and it’s not that cool.

However, as I and others have said, it is catchy. The problem is that when encountering a Jagger solo piece on a Stones record one’s first (and noble) instinct is to scratch it off the record. Others may disagree but I believe in this day and age and with all this technology at our disposal, the morally correct decision is to transfer this song to that part of your music collection dedicated to Mick Jagger solo works, assuming you have one.

That MJ gave them some of the late 70s, early 80s dance type of material that, for me, is a nice change of pace occasionally and preferable to the half dozen songs from SG, ER, and TY that use virtually the same guitar groove and just throw on some different lyrics. Growing up in the early 80s, I have a soft spot for that production anyway, I must admit. As for solo Stones, doesn't interest me in the least, whether it be MJ, KR, etc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2015 01:53

Massive powerful filthy dance funk .... the deepest The Stones ever went inta the jungle along with Feel On and Undercover of The Night ... should be more of it .....

The album reaches a pinnacle with Too Much and they return to safer territory for the rest of the show .... But Too Much -- GREAT STUFF -- PLAY F'n LOUD

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 03:48 by Rockman.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 7, 2015 14:29

Rockman
Massive powerful filthy dance funk .... the deepest The Stones ever went inta the jungle along with Feel On and Undercover of The Night ... should be more of it .....

The album reaches a pinnacle with Too Much and they return to safer territory for the rest of the show .... But Too Much -- GREAT STUFF -- PLAY F'n LOUD

Re: Track Talk: Too Much Blood
Posted by: gomper076 ()
Date: June 8, 2019 02:50

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-08 18:28 by gomper076.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: June 8, 2019 03:13

Great song from their last great album. Back when they would try any kind of genre and didn't put themselves in the 'greatest band' box. Great moment by Jagger.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 8, 2019 04:12

i always liked the "undercover" record, in particular "too much blood". i will admit i haven't played it in a few years though. sounds like a plan forming for the weekend.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 8, 2019 09:19

Rockman

thumbs up +1

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 8, 2019 09:56

One of my latterday Stones favourites. Great lyrics,powerful music, funny and hot as hell.
Great stuff.
Jeroen

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 8, 2019 14:23

Great groove, great guitars !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 8, 2019 14:33

runrudolph
One of my latterday Stones favourites. Great lyrics,powerful music, funny and hot as hell.
Great stuff.
Jeroen

"Latterday" - twenty years after the band were formed and now best part of forty years ago! grinning smiley

[burningtheground.net]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-08 15:28 by Deltics.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home